• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for advanced booking

joecollins

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
What are your recommended time frames for advanced booking and the travels that bracket the walk?

My plan as of now is:
Going -
1. Fly from JFK (NYC) to Paris
2. Possibly overnight in Paris depending upon flight and train schedules
3. Train from Montparrse to SJPDP
4. 2 nights in SJPDP to shake off all jet lag

Returning -
1. Train to Madrid
2. At least 3 nights in Madrid (possibly 4)
3. Fly back home to JFK

So what is a good time frame to book the trains and SJPDP accommodation ahead of time?

Oh and I am planning for next April.

Thanks a bunch!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Other than the first few days to Pamplona and your hotel in Madrid, you do not really have to prebook accommodations if you are walking in April unless you are seeking a specific type of room. Not booking allows more freedom in your pace - much easier on your body and an interesting way to travel.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Advice above is good - note that train bookings in Spain are virtually never available more than 12 weeks in advance; often less.

If you’re planning to overnight at Orrison after St Jean; that’s now bookable online (and not through the power of prayer, as previously) and I’d do so as soon as your required date is made available.

Otherwise, you’ve plenty of time - the ‘tight spots’ in April are up to (but not including) Pamplona.

Advice above is good - note that train bookings in Spain are virtually never available more than 12 weeks in advance; often less.

If you’re planning to overnight at Orrison after St Jean; that’s now bookable online (and not through the power of prayer, as previously) and I’d do so as soon as your required date is made available.

Otherwise, you’ve plenty of time - the ‘tight spots’ in April are up to (but not including) Pamplona.

😂 But I often say a prayer before I jump on the Orrison Refuges website. After my first Camino, completing stage 1 in one day, I prefer to seek Gods assistance to lessen the suffering.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can book at both Orisson or Borda if you want to break up your day between SJPDP and Roncesvalles. Having stayed in both, Borda is far nicer. They both need to be booked ahead of time.
If you know when you are flying home or when you expect to reach Santiago, I recommend booking a room in St. Martin Pinario. They have single rooms and pilgrim rooms, but you need to write to them to request a pilgrim room. They fill up really quickly.

I recommend booking a room in St. Martin Pinario. They have single rooms and pilgrim rooms, but you need to write to them to request a pilgrim room
It phone them. The staff that answer the phone speak English. In past years I've emailed for a pilgrim room, but this year my email was unanswered for several days, so I called and was able to reserve a pilgrim room for the following week.

Here's their contact information (click to enlarge)

Screenshot_20230724_063050_Firefox.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What are your recommended time frames for advanced booking and the travels that bracket the walk?

My plan as of now is:
Going -

Returning -
1. Train to Madrid
3. Fly back home to JFK

So what is a good time frame to book the trains and SJPDP accommodation ahead of time?

Thanks a bunch!
Hello,
I just recently got back home from doing the Frances (Apr-Jun2023). Through the entire pilgrimage, I pre-booked my accommodations knowing my itineraries. Knowing how far I am walking for the day, and which accommodations to pre-book (from previous experience). Pre-booking gave me the confidence that I have a good place to lay down and rest comfortably at the end of the day, and have amenities to serve my comfort. I did not have to join the walkathon for chance at a bed. Lastly, set your priorities. Socials or rest at the end of the day's walk.

Here's how I did pre-booking/booking 3-4 months ahead. First and foremost, if avoidable, do not use "booking.com." They charge as much as 25%. However, to get further information, use booking.com's pages of the desired accommodation. They usually have good description, pictures, and reviews of places. Call or email the desired place. A lot of places do not promptly respond to calls or emails. so be patient

At SJPdP, I like Beilari, it's a nice place (next to the Pilgrims' Office), I like Joseph (owner?), but they have angels that wake you up in the morning. If you are staying for another day to acclimate, it is a hassle because you have to leave the albergue and can't comeback until they open for the day. I like the place where I stayed to shake off jet lag. Good breakfast and excellent host.

Orisson is notorious for not responding to emails or phone calls. But you can take the chance of a bunk space after you get there. I like Borda myself since you can pre-book or book online and receive a prompt response. Aside from online booking, you can call to book and get the same prompt response. Borda is newer albergue about 1km past Orisson. There's a bar, laundry machines, and a briefing about the next day's walk after the communal dinner.

I turned 71 while on The Way and have physical challenges hence I pre-booked all the way to Santiago. I tailored my walk to stay at the places I knew were very good to excellent from previous Frances. I did not cheap out on my accommodations since they were for my benefit. Also, confident that Santiago de Compostela is not going anywhere, I took my time doing "my Camino." It is an awe watching people doing a walkathon to Santiago. Worst, not even sharing/wishing other pilgrims, "Buen Camino."

One thing about Hospederia San Martin Pinario in Santiago de Compostela, "calling" is the way to book or pre-book. You can pre-book/book for however many days you want to stay. The good thing about Hospederia San Martin, booking comes with a free breakfast buffet, and it is right around the corner to Plaza Obradoiro and the cathedral.

During your walk, please do not forget to share or wish your fellow pilgrims, "Buen Camino."

Buen Camino

Unless you actually want to visit Paris, you might wish to overnight at one of the CDG airport hotels (Ibis is a great option with on-site restaurants) then train directly from CDG to Bayonne or Biarritz and on to SJPDP. We confirm seat assignments on trains about 60 days in advance; very easy. Buen Camino.

Hello,

I think you may be asking how much time you should give yourself to walk from SJPDP to Santiago and when you should plan to return home including 3 nights at the end in Madrid. I don't know what your situation is, but I rarely book a flight home; I work remotely so I can be very flexible. Of course, I have a general idea of when we will be flying home and what flights are available at that time. Finding a flight to New York on any given day would not be difficult. Not having an end date allows for more freedom. Just a suggestion.

As far as timing, it depends on your pace how long it takes.

Happy planning!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I overnighted in Paris at Enjoy Hostel (5 rue des Plantes 75014 Paris +33 (0)1 45 40 99 48 enjoyhostel14@gmail.com) - Located in the 14th arrondissement , close to the Gare Montparnasse and just 10 minutes from the Latin Quarter. and they have free breakfast
it took me no more than 15 mins on the morning of departure to walk to GM - very convenient
I will echo everything other folks said (not getting into "whole Camino" since you asked only for the beginning and transportation) Keep an eye on the tickets Paris (GM) --> SJpDP and jump on them the moment window opens
Many good suggestions for initial albergues. I stayed at Beilari and loved it; Joseph and Fleur are sweethearts; that said Beilari (as many others) are 1-night only so you need to figure it out if you want extra days to acclimate in SJ. - either go to a hotel of sort or you might have to jump between 2/3 albergues.
If you do stop mid-day in Pyrenees on Day 1 - then yes also secure either Orisson or Bourda - both tend to sell out rather fast
Good luck and Buen Comino

that said Beilari (as many others) are 1-night only
I don't think that's true of Beilari - I've met people who stayed there two nights. I believe that you do have to vacate the premises during the day though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't think that's true of Beilari - I've met people who stayed there two nights. I believe that you do have to vacate the premises during the day though.
When we stayed there in Sep 2022, we booked for two days. But on the morning of the second day, we were waken up by what Fleur told us night before as angels. We had a few minutes to prepare and leave the premises and to come back when they open for the day. So, yes, you can stay for two days (probably more) but you have to go somewhere while they get the place ready for the next day.

Heck, really wish I knew that before-hand. Absolutely wouldn't mind to have an extra day in SJ while staying at Beilari (don't think I'd have a problem to 'get lost for a day' 😆)

I don’t think I phrased my original question very. (My Copy editor will be fired as a result.)

I am only looking for suggestions of advanced booking windows for flights to and from Europe, trains to Saint Jean Pied-de-Port and then to Madrid after the walk and accommodations in SJPDP just before I start.

As far as flights home from Europe make sure that you add in about 5 days over how long you think that it will take you to walk the Camino in case of illness, injury, or you just want a rest day. If you don't use them then you can relax on a beach somewhere! 🏖️

Running short of time on a Camino is no fun.

I’m mainly concerned with the booking windows for the trains, planes and accommodations in SJPDP.

Thanks for the insight folks!
Planes: typically 11 or 12 months depending on the airline. Some airlines release schedules to their frequent flyers a month or so earlier.
Trains: It varies in my experience. Two to six months. Try the SNCF website. Note that local services often cannot be booked for both train and bus, only the longer distance services. For planning, I assume that the services will continue in much the same pattern for weekdays and weekends, but then check once the time gets closer.
Accommodation: varies - it seems to depend on what the owners are prepared to schedule. Typically my wife and I have seen 12 months, but that isn't always so.

Planes: typically 11 or 12 months depending on the airline. Some airlines release schedules to their frequent flyers a month or so earlier.
Trains: It varies in my experience. Two to six months. Try the SNCF website. Note that local services often cannot be booked for both train and bus, only the longer distance services. For planning, I assume that the services will continue in much the same pattern for weekdays and weekends, but then check once the time gets closer.
Accommodation: varies - it seems to depend on what the owners are prepared to schedule. Typically my wife and I have seen 12 months, but that isn't always so.
Thanks Doug!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My plan as of now is:
Going -

Returning -
1. Train to Madrid
3. Fly back home to JFK

Thanks a bunch!
I flew into Paris and then caught a flight to Biarritz. There I stayed at a hotel like a 5 minute walk away. The next morning I took a train to SJPdP. That train was about 2kms from my hotel, but I did take a taxi to the station (being how early in the am and whatnot), but would be walkable distance too

Last edited:
I flew into Paris and then caught a flight to Biarritz. There I stayed at a hotel like a 5 minute walk away. The next morning I took a train to SJPdP. That train was about 2kms from my hotel, but I did take a taxi (being how early in the am and whatnot), but would be walkable distance too
How far in advance did you book your flight and train?

There is no right or wrong time to book a flight no matter what you here. Very generally the earlier you book and the more restrictive your terms and conditions the cheaper it is. Flights increase in price more than they decrease but prices do go down as well as up - for example if a fight is selling less seats at a given point in time than expected, or a route is included in a sale. Often the best way to go is book after searching prices and book when you see a price that 'feels right'.

April will be on sale now - so check out cheapest fares, and maybe semi flexible fares and so on. Maybe check out airports on east coast to cities close too, as well as Paris, if budget is an issue.

I'm from Europe so use Skyscanner to search, but I believe that Kayak and Google flights are the equivalent for USA residents.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I flew into Paris and then caught a flight to Biarritz. There I stayed at a hotel like a 5 minute walk away. The next morning I took a train to SJPdP. That train was about 2kms from my hotel, but I did take a taxi (being how early in the am and whatnot), but would be walkable distance too
It looks like JFK - CDG - Biarritz may be the most economical way to go. Thanks for the advice!

If you are not on the same airline all the way to Biarritz - check out EWR-->SdG on United
One of my fave flights UA54 out 9:40PM (EST) arr. 10:55AM(CET). If you want earlier - UA 57 (6:35PM --> 7:45AM respectfully)
I just HAAAATE to drive to JFK on that Belt Pkwy

It looks like JFK - CDG - Biarritz may be the most economical way to go. Thanks for the advice!
As you are planning to fly home from Madrid look at multi-city aka open jaw tickets. I have found that they cost about the same as round trip tickets, and much less than two one way tickets from North America.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with using Booking.com to research places, but then emailing or calling the accommodation directly. This gives you a relationship directly with the owner from the start which is lovely for when you finally arrive. Many places where I have done this greet me with a warmth that I don't notice when I arrive at a place that I just went through the big booking agency. This applies to ALL my travels, not just the Caminos.
If you enjoy the planning stage, (and I must say that I adore that stage and spend many enjoyable hours pouring over booking sites, expanding maps to see if there is a little gem that isn't being obvious), then book as soon as you can. You will soon find out when the train, flights, and accommodations open their books. I was able to book some train travel several months ahead but other trips only a few weeks in advance! For some places to stay, they opened their books on 1st January, others could be booked 9 months ahead.
Enjoy the planning stage if you are a planner and dreamer like me. Buen Camino

I agree with using Booking.com to research places, but then emailing or calling the accommodation directly. This gives you a relationship directly with the owner from the start which is lovely for when you finally arrive. Many places where I have done this greet me with a warmth that I don't notice when I arrive at a place that I just went through the big booking agency. This applies to ALL my travels, not just the Caminos.
If you enjoy the planning stage, (and I must say that I adore that stage and spend many enjoyable hours pouring over booking sites, expanding maps to see if there is a little gem that isn't being obvious), then book as soon as you can. You will soon find out when the train, flights, and accommodations open their books. I was able to book some train travel several months ahead but other trips only a few weeks in advance! For some places to stay, they opened their books on 1st January, others could be booked 9 months ahead.
Enjoy the planning stage if you are a planner and dreamer like me. Buen Camino
Each to their own - I always book through booking.com as I find the app to be excellent and very clear as I change bookings alot too so I have full transparency on rates/cancellations fees, etc. Suppliers choose to use booking.com as part of their distribution strategy. I can't say I have noticed any difference in customer service levels irrespective of the booking channel I have used.

I booked everything only like 2 weeks before. It was in 2020 so my March trip was postponed from C19. So when there was a lull in late summer I went. (Flew from canada)

Flights are a different matter, but I have booked bus and train tickets from Santiago as late as the night before travel. I did delay that, despite my wife's prompting to do it earlier, and paid a premium over the price I might have paid if I had booked even a day earlier, and still got a seat at the very back of the bus for my troubles!

For flights from Santiago to the UK, when I have gone there to visit my son, I have generally booked those about a week or a little more before I want to travel. I will be more confident by then about when I will finish my pilgrimage.

Long haul flights (from Australia) are generally booked several months beforehand. On my first few pilgrimages, I used a travel agent for that, but today the online booking tools are so much better, and I will book that way. There is a balance between booking well in advance when there are still cheaper fare structures available, and hoping for an airline to offer discounts when ticket sales are not meeting their expectations.

There is a balance between booking well in advance when there are still cheaper fare structures available, and hoping for an airline to have offer discounts when ticket sales are not meeting their expectations.
Always a gamble. Travelling from the UK I usually book my outward flight to Spain as far ahead as possible but leave booking my homeward flight until a couple of days from Santiago. So long as I avoid the peak holiday seasons I can usually find a cheap fare back to the UK. That probably doesn't work so well when your flight is thousands of miles rather than hundreds.

Always a gamble. Travelling from the UK I usually book my outward flight to Spain as far ahead as possible but leave booking my homeward flight until a couple of days from Santiago. So long as I avoid the peak holiday seasons I can usually find a cheap fare back to the UK. That probably doesn't work so well when your flight is thousands of miles rather than hundreds.
Yes, Europe to UK is a very easy matter with thousands of options including train or driving all the way if you can't get flights. Much harder if you have to fly to Australia or USA/Canada.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back