• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for walks in France accessible by bus or train

Murgyman

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet
Just that, really. Husband and I will be in France from mid-May to the end of July. We have nearly 2 weeks in the middle that's not accounted for and would like to do a walk of about 150 km. The tough part is that we want to base ourselves somewhere and catch transport to where we left off the previous day. Is anyone aware of an area with walking paths that also has decent transport? If it helps, we'll be in the Charente for the first half and Rouen for the second.
Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Murgyman,

You might enjoy walking along the Loire River and visiting the grand châteaux. Check out this link in English for more info re hiking along the Loire on the GR3 in the Touraine département. Bus and train stops as well as accommodation possibilities are cited.

Wherever you and your husband do walk in France bon chemin!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I suggest to begin Podiensis:
- Start from Le Puy (accessible in train)
- Walk at least until Conques
- Then you can stop getting a train at Decazeville, or walk until Figeac, or walk until Cahors (but this means more than 150km from Le Puy). In each of this towns you will find a railway station.

Will you do this as pilgrims with a credential? If so you might consider starting in Poitiers on the Tours route and using the local association's very nice accommodations.
Saintes would be about right for distance but although it would be very easy to return from there doing an out and return each day would be harder.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last month, my husband and I walked out of Paris on the official route towards Orléans. There were SO many train stations and bus stops...

Thank you, @mspath - that sounds like a very nice little walk! I'd love to see Chenonceaux. And thank you for the link to the GR3.
The website @mspath has suggested brought back good memories of a car trip in that area when I visited a handful of chateaux in the area. Chenonceaux was a highlight and I remember being charmed by Villandry's gardens; formed like pieces of quilts. The Loire river valley is a great option.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Based on just a little experience, my wife and I have found that areas in rural France are readily accessible by public transportation. We reached an isolated spot on the Via Podiensis (the Le Puy route) via train and bus. The website <<Rome2rio >> can help you verify this.

If you wish to have a supported hike, meaning transfer of your heavier things and just walking with daypacks, I suggest looking at the services of la Malle Postale. They offer such transport on many routes and this may give you some ideas about where to walk. Several years ago I read that the coastal hike in Brittany was voted as the most popular in France. (Voted by whom, I don't know.) I believe this is the GR 21 (Grande Randonnée 21).

Bon chemin.

Wow - you guys are marvellous! So many great suggestions 👍
Thanks, @TMcA, for the coastal Brittany suggestion. Trouble is, I wouldn't want to stop after 2 weeks. That's one heck of a beautiful coast...

Mediterranean coastal routes are great for this, though I'd agree that the Loire Valley hikes are quite fantastic !! -- just not sure public transport from stage to stage along them will be so easy.

Maybe look for hikes that coincide more or less with certain busy train or bus routes ?

In my experience, the Mediterranean routes do have the kind of compromise of this sort -- though I'd say no further West than Béziers nor further East than Fréjus. Marseilles is avoidable due to copious local bus lines.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back