• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suitcase Transport to SdC

Streetfood

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Finisterre) 2017. Via dl Plata 2018. Portuguese 2019.
We're arriving at Biarritz Airport at the end of April 2023. We intend to walk out of the airport to the French town of Bidart on the coast. From Bidart we'll walk the Voie Littorale to Irun to commence the Camino Del Norte.
My question is: How can we get our post-Camino suitcase to Santiago? Plan A is to ask Express Bourricot to meet us at Biarritz Airport, collect the suitcase & transport it, first to St John & then, to SdC. But if anyone can suggest an alternative I would be grateful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We're arriving at Biarritz Airport at the end of April 2023. We intend to walk out of the airport to the French town of Bidart on the coast. From Bidart we'll walk the Voie Littorale to Irun to commence the Camino Del Norte.
My question is: How can we get our post-Camino suitcase to Santiago? Plan A is to ask Express Bourricot to meet us at Biarritz Airport, collect the suitcase & transport it, first to St John & then, to SdC. But if anyone can suggest an alternative I would be grateful.
If it were not for the issue of your luggage crossing from France to Spain there would be numerous alternatives, but from a start in Biarritz (or more frequently SJPDP) the only recommendation I’ve seen on here has been Express Bourricot.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I THIRD the opinion. Despite severtal decades of attempted harmonization, the EU is still a "pipe organ" of 27 individual postal and parcel delivery systems. Shipping anything, especially luggage across national borders, should be avoided. Even shipping from Portugal to Spain is fraught with delays and problems.

However, once you are in Spain, sending a suitcase from the local Correos (post office) is easy and relatively cheap. The Correos will provide tracking information too.

IMHO, the Express Bourricot solution is the "best" one, albeit the mnost expensive. They can take the suitcase at Biarritz Airport and deliver it to secure storage at Santiago. It may go via Saint Jean Pied de Port, but it will likely arrive at Santiago well before you do. You pick it up there when you arrive, whenever that is.

The trick here is to be able to be flexible with their shipping routes and patterns. But they do make runs from SJPdP to and from Biarritz, as needed.

They also make more regular runs to transport luggage from SJPdP to Santiago. Contact them at: https://www.expressbourricot.com/ for more information. Consider than, at this time of year, they may not be working every day - be patient.

The best best thing is to take a train across the border to Irun - Spain. Go to the local Correos there and ship the suitcase to Ivar at Santiago. He will receive and store the suitcase or whatever else you send to him, securely, until you arrive to fetch it.

Over the years, I have done it both ways. I have even used one country's postal system to ship parcels ahead to Santiago. My experience was not good. Thus, I recommend either of the two processes I described above.

Hope this helps,

Tom

if you arrive in Pamplona instead, you can send the luggage from there, then take the bus to Biarritz/Bayona to start your Camino (Rome2rio).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a DHL office in Bidart. If the suitcase is small and not too heavy, this may be an option too.

Might as well round out the options list. Land in Biarritz, then catch a train to Hendaye. From there, you can walk to the Correos office in Irun, or catch the Feve train one stop, and mail the suitcase to Ivar. The walk from the Hendaye station to Correos is about a half hour - I've done this. Then head back to Biarritz via train, and begin your walk. A final option is to stick the suitcase in a locker in Biarritz, then when you get to Irun, take a train back to the locker and get the suitcase.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.