• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer Weather

zimmecp

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2017
Hello all!

I am planning my beach stroll...hahaha

I'd really love some opinions about rain gear! I have whittled my options down to two choices...one being slightly heavier than the other...but still quite light. I've just read that the average weather is significantly cooler than what I am used to (here in Texas) - so am wondering if the slightly heavier rain jacket (300 grams) would be an ok choice. I actually like it better...

Any opinions on rain gear?

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought an Altus poncho from Amazon U.K. and they shipped it to my home in Sacramento CA. no problem. It's not available in North America that I'm aware of. We had a lot of rain this year, so I had many chances to try it out and it worked like a charm. Very well made, I think it's made in Spain, at least Altus is a Spanish company. It has a fold-able flap on the back to fit over a pack and sleeves that go all the way to my wrists, so it is sort of a cross between a rain jacket and a poncho. I am only 6' 1" but I bought the largest size they had and it goes about halfway down my shins so my shoes and part of my shins will get wet in a rainstorm, but that's good enough for me. It is not breathable but loose fitting enough to prevent major condensation, has chest vents and a full length YKK zipper (the best brand) down the front that can be opened for further ventilation. A poncho type garment may seem heavy compared to a rain suit but the Altus is pretty light considering, made out of nylon and much sturdier than those clear plastic things. and I think well suited to the El Camino. With a rain suit you are talking about pants, jacket, and a pack cover which may exceed the weight of the Altus, plus your pack straps are made out of water absorbing foam and going to get wet in a rainstorm when using a rain jacket, adding to the weight of your pack. It's your choice between a rain suit and a poncho type garment, but I'm taking my Altus on my El Camino in April/May 2018.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.