• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Taking a number in Santiago.

This would be perfect.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I was volunteering over St. James' feast day this year, and on that day specifically, all of the numbers had been given out by noon that day. We saw over 1400 pilgrims that day. If you can plan it that way, it is better if you can get your Compostela the next day from arriving and just get there early so you have a shorter wait.

Well I'm worried now as I'm starting there on October 7 for a fortnight as a volunteer and am not sure I'll be able to understand this system.
I suppose you could pray for me.
As a volunteer, it's super easy! You will either be put in the office behind the desk, and they show you how to advance the number queue (it's a click of a mouse), or you are in Monte de Gozo showing pilgrims how to pre-register on their phones, which is a pre-requisite to get a number for the queue. I was very very blessed by my time volunteering this year. I hope your time is as blessed as mine was!!!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
or you are in Monte de Gozo showing pilgrims how to pre-register on their phones, which is a pre-requisite to get a number for the queue.
Is this new? Are you saying that a pilgrim must pre-register and can't just show up at the Pilgrims Office to get a ticket?

Is this new? Are you saying that a pilgrim must pre-register and can't just show up at the Pilgrims Office to get a ticket?
My understanding is that they implemented this as a way to make the time waiting shorter. Your information is already in the system, so whoever is doing your Compostela doesn't have to add it to the computer.

If you don't do it before, they make you do it on your phone before you get your number--you have to show your confirmation code to the officer/volunteer issuing the numbers. The only exception is if you don't have a phone with qr code capabilities. They still have paper forms for that, but try to use them as little as possible.

I have no idea how lone they have been doing it that way. I just know it was that way all summer long.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How do you preregistration on your phone? Is there an app? This could be challenging for us technically challenged folks.

It must be nearly as difficult as "rocket science"...or is it really?
That's the funny thing I have learned over the years - even rocket science isn't "rocket science". (I emphasize that I am not a rocket scientist and don't really know, but I believe my analogy is valid.) In other words, if you break down the process, one step at a time, almost anybody can follow it through. It is quite like the Camino - 800 km seems impossible and most people will never try past a few km. But when you do take it on and persist, one step at a time, you realize that it is not so mysterious or impossible at all.

That's why I say people should not talk as if there are talented techies and the rest of us non-techies, any more than there are those talented people who can walk the camino and those masses who can't.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum