• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you collect a Compostela?

Do you collect a Compostela?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 82 51.9%
  • I used to, but not anymore

Votes: 65 41.1%
  • No.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • My Camino was not eligible

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Time of past OR future Camino
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
Obviously, this is prompted by the current 'Trends in 2023 - Gronze article' thread.

We talk about this often on the forum: how many pilgrims do NOT collect a Compostela?

So because it's winter in Europe, and most of us are at home rather than on the Camino, it seems like the perfect time to conduct a completely unscientific Poll.

I am appreciative I could have added more answers, I have deliberately kept it simple.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We talk about this often on the forum: how many pilgrims do NOT collect a Compostela?
I'm guessing that the answers to this one will be fairly divergent from what happens in Compostela ... :p
Every time, and then I stick 'em in a folder and never look at them again. It's a bit silly, really.
Apart from my first two, the rest are glued into my credenciales. Including because I always make my way back along the Camino, and it's occasionally helpful to have your Compostela with you. Usually not, just occasionally.

Besides, I view getting it as part of the journey.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, never. If I would walk for religious/ spiritual reasons I might have done To me it's just a walk, with benefits, be it for the landscape, the culture indrastructure and very important social contacts. I am not interested in a " walking certificate"

I did, but then it was my first Camino. It's a wonderful beautiful momento, albeit that is maybe not in the spirit of which it was intended originally. It was also symbolic as I got it Viacrie Pro in the name of Flora Navarra my dog which was the reason of my pilgrimage. If I did another 10 would I? I don't know, I certainly wouldn't require one as proof of anything.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just an observation, but the raw statistics above, at least for those pilgrims who are members of this forum, suggests that HALF of all pilgrims do not collect Compostela after their Camino.

This tends to indicate that, again, limited to forum members - there are TWICE as many pilgrims out on Camino as there are showing up for a Compostela at the end.

Statistically speaking, this is not valid as the sample is not representative of ALL pilgrims. But if it were, it would suggest that the true annual pilgrim volumes are approximately DOUBLE those reported. For 2023, that could be around 900,000 pilgrims.

YIKES!

Tom

Last edited:
Just an observation, but the raw statistics above, at least for those pilgrims who are members of this forum, suggests that HALF of all pilgrims do not collect Compostela after their Camino.

This tends to indicate that, again, limited to forum members - there are TWICE as many pilgrims out on Camino as there are showing up for a Compostela at the end.

Statistically speaking, this is not valid as the sample is not representative of ALL pilgrims. But if it were, it would suggest that the true annual pilgrim volumes are approximately DOUBLE those reported. For 2023, that could be well over 900,000 pilgrims.

YIKES!

Tom
However, caution is needed using this calculation, as I would imagine the majority of users likely to vote/comment on here are more what you would term "seasoned/repeat Camino peeps (myself excluded)".
So you could expect there to be a higher number of those who do not collect the Compostela.
You can bet most first-timers (such as myself) would collect a Compestela, but maybe unlikely to linger on such forums post Camino (myself excluded).

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The last Camino I walked (Sept. '23-Camino Sanabres), I took the train from Ourense,
the last 100 km. Therefore, no Compostela.
It wasn't really even a decision, didn't think about it at all. I have 2 Compostelas from previous trips (and one from the Franciscan Cathedral, on the 800th anniversary of Francis of Assisi's Camino), don't need anymore. I have always been much more enamored by the Credentials and stamps anyway. They are an even more poignant memento than the Compostela for me. Peace, Bob

However, caution is needed using this calculation, as I would imagine the majority of users likely to vote/comment on here are more what you would term "seasoned/repeat Camino peeps (myself excluded)".
So you could expect there to be a higher number of those who do not collect the Compostela.
You can bet most first-timers (such as myself) would collect a Compestela, but maybe unlikely to linger on such forums post Camino (myself excluded).
A very valid observation !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I once met a French woman "first timer" on the Frances and walked the entire way from SJPdP to Santiago with her. We both had to be in Santiago in 23 days and she was very excited to share my pre-planned spreadsheet itinerary.

But she had no idea about the Compostela.

She was even more excited when I told her about it as we got close!

She said, "You mean we get a diploma?!" I still remember the look of joy in her eyes and this was like a long time ago.

Ok, I am sort of proud of this... I think I have like between 30-35 of them. But they aren't all the ones from Santiago... included in that number is the other ones too... like the "padronstela", "finistela", "muxiastela", "sahagunstela", "SanSalvadorstela"... if anyone knows of any others that I am not aware of please let me know. :).

Interesting enough though I never get the distance certificate.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Posterity
Darn straight! When I die the few people who come to my funeral are going to be like, "well, he didn't really do much, but he walked a boat ton of caminos!" Then maybe they'll hand them out as door prizes.

What I really want is one of those "El Fin del Camino" plaques/shrines/markers scattered along the trail. But not like a tragic one of course that you see for the occasional young person... more like one that gets to say something like "He died doing what he loved most." And a ripe old age.

I also stop to read them and think about the person. Sometimes I leave a trinket or just a flower I find.

Last edited:
I wasn't eligible the first time, as I did some taxi-ing w/in 100KM due to illness. I think because of that, I jumped at the first opportunity I had for a do-over of sorts, and so did the last 100KM of the Portugues and got a Compostela. I just felt like my walk was incomplete without that Compostela.

In the future, it remains to be seen -- I expect that I'll get a Compostela for any new routes (Ingles this summer) and if I walk the Frances again (thinking Pamplona to Burgos, bus to O' Cebreiro or Sarria, walk from there). I'm not sure I'd get it if/when I start repeating routes.

She said, "You mean we get a diploma?!" I still remember the look of joy in her eyes and this was like a long time ago.
This I get. Big time. Not for me, personally - but I’ve seen how much it means to some people. Regardless as to whether it’s a religious affirmation, or seen as a diploma - to that person, it’s very meaningful.

Mine‘s still in its transport tube - I’m not even really sure why I collected it.

Ok, I am sort of proud of this... I think I have like between 30-35 of them
But not this. I mean, I get that your proud of your achievements - and rightly so - but isn’t it just another piece of paper? If you lost them all tomorrow, you will still have walked all those walks, gained from all those experience’s, met all those wonderful people, and hopefully retain all those wonderful memories.
The fact that you’re no longer sure how many you have says it all. It’s like me, when people ask how many countries I’ve visited - I lost count somewhere around the 45/ 50 mark. (And no, overnight stop’s don’t count - that’s like a day hike)
It’s just a meaningless number, yet another stamp.
But the memories - they’re priceless.

Like I imagine your Caminos were - and hopefully, in time, your upcoming PCT. (Still envious of that! )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But not this. I mean, I get that your proud of your achievements - and rightly so - but isn’t it just another piece of paper?
Yah. Pieces of paper in tubes. I still don't see the downside.
If you lost them all tomorrow, you will still have walked all those walks, gained from all those experience’s, met all those wonderful people, and hopefully retain all those wonderful memories.
Forever friends!
(Still envious of that! )
I'm a little scared of that! I'll deal. Just new.

I'm not Catholic so I don't feel qualified for the Compostela. I did accept the welcome certificate (but I thought it was the distance one). I wouldn't display the Compostela at home anyway; a small, open plan home with a fair bit of windows doesn't have the wall space.

If I did put up a certificate it would be the one called the "halfway" certificate from Sahagún. We spent several days there during a festival and I really like the place. I also like what the certificate says, in part:

The inhabitants of this noble town give him encouragement to continue his camino and to arrive with safe passage at the house of the Lord Saint James, where we hope he retains a memory of the reception we have given him.

[Picture of certificate]
[My full translation]

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I did put up a certificate it would be the one called the "halfway" certificate from Sahagún.
Of the certificates I have received on pilgrim routes I think the one I like best is the one from the pilgrim museum on Shikoku naming me (with a slight misspelling) as a Henro Ambassador. A reminder of an extraordinary experience which I do my best to share here and elsewhere when the opportunity arises.

"This is to certify that you have successfully completed the 1200km of Shikoku 88 Temples Pilgrimage on foot and that you are named as a Henro Ambassador. We wish that the interaction with the people, the culture and the nature of Shikoku enriches your life and that you will spread the Henro culture worldwide."

IMG_20230517_102450.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I made my first Camino as a conscious and deliberate pilgrimage to the bones of one who may have touched the divine. I made my obsequies and claimed my Compostela in faith and belief that it was both earned and deserved.

I’ve hacked my way along many a Camino since. Mostly out of curiosity or in a sense of fun. So, I’ve not applied as I figured that the circumstances didn’t…

I still have my Compostela, along with my Cycling Proficiency, Queen’s Scout, Mountain Leader and a few others. Never did get my MBE despite my years of desperate service…

There was a point where the push for digital suggested we could all just whack our thumb prints into a reader in the Obradoiro and would get that all important let on purgatory but I guess that got lost somewhere in middle management

Meanwhile, and to respond to the OP, nope, I don’t collect’em. I don’t collect match-books, beer mats or Capodimonte either. But I still walk Camino in “search”

William Morris did some nice wallpaper and it comes in bigger sizes 😉

Ok, I am sort of proud of this... I think I have like between 30-35 of them. But they aren't all the ones from Santiago... included in that number is the other ones too... like the "padronstela", "finistela", "muxiastela", "sahagunstela", "SanSalvadorstela"... if anyone knows of any others that I am not aware of please let me know. :).

Interesting enough though I never get the distance certificate.
Excellent post from @peregrina2000 a little while ago; that should keep even you busy for a while longer.

Every time.

But only my first Compostela has my name on it.
All subsequent ones are Vicarie Pro (on behalf of) for loved ones who are no longer with us.

I'm another of these. The families of the Vicarie Pro candidates have the scrolls and were extraordinarily grateful, to the point where I was embarrassed..... all I had done was walk and light candles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am very much in two minds about this. I have claimed Compostelas previously, however I don't know if I will do so in future. I will probably decide when I'm standing in the Praza do Obradoiro.

I got one the first time I qualified and don't feel like I need another. I will get a credential stamped as a meaningful remembrance of my next round in April.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
None of the above.
On my first Camino I never considered it. That wasn't what it was about. On subsequent Caminos I have collected them. On the most recent, I got it "Vicarie Pro" and gave it away to the person whose name I had added. Future Caminos, I'll take as they come and decide at the end of each. I suspect I will collect one on my next with my daughter (her first). After that, who knows?

There really are just a couple of simple rules/requirements to get the Compostela, nothing to obsess over!
Yes. Like the OP, I don't understand why reminders of 'the rules' comes up in so many threads, and when walking. It reminds me of being a Cub-Scout leader.

Somewhere between Pamplona and Estella we first heard discussion of people that: count sellos, check dates, and ask questions like why we walked, and scrutinize.... Sounded like an Inquisition.

I understand that people walking 'vicarie pro' want to share the Compostela with others. Then there were the students on term break who said “It’s for the Resume”.

Also have a fond memory of a lady who was clearly thrilled that she walked 'every step of the entire Camino', unassisted, all the way from Sarria. We were thrilled for her. :)

Obviously, this is prompted by the current 'Trends in 2023 - Gronze article' thread.

So because it's winter in Europe, and most of us are at home rather than on the Camino, it seems like the perfect time to conduct a completely unscientific Poll.

I am appreciative I could have added more answers, I have deliberately kept it simple.
Yes, always. Then I give it to the person I walked for, along with the Rosary Beads, Credential and Scallop Shell.

We never collect them.
So many obsessed with "the rules" can be distracting from the experience. ;)
You know who is NOT obsessed with the rules? The Pilgrim's office in SDC. Like yah sure you should get two stamps last 100km... I mean that's the rule.

But seriously... if you have a bunch of stamps from a start point like far out... they don't give a hoot. I know this only from like, a bunch of times.

If you start in Sarria... well then darn straight get two stamps/day.

I think those are the only rules tho. I'm trying to think of another one. Nah, walk 100km. Two stamps per day last 100km (sometimes). That's it.

The only time I was ever sorta interrogated , and just for like a second, was when my start point was SJPdP and my credential wasn't filled. I explained, "yah. I skipped the Meseta"...

I personally like a filled up credential tho. I usually get one stamp a day and then try to fill it up towards the end.

Last edited:
...it seems like the perfect time to conduct a completely unscientific Poll.
Peter, the results so far are surprising. I'm thinking that the votes are probably coming in from the 'old hands'. It would be interesting to know how the prospective pilgrims would vote, perfectly valid for your poll. Maybe you should put up a supplementary thread specifically encouraging them to vote too.
Or perhaps ask a mod to change the title to "Will you..."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Peter, the results so far are surprising. I'm thinking that the votes are probably coming in from the 'old hands'. It would be interesting to know how the prospective pilgrims would vote, perfectly valid for your poll. Maybe you should put up a supplementary thread specifically encouraging them to vote too.
Or perhaps ask a mod to change the title to "Will you..."
Paul, I actually don't find it all that surprising. On the surface it would appear that the vast majority of active members are, shall we say, repeat offenders. (Regardless as to whether they choose the first or the second option). And because you cannot choose more than one option only one person has chosen the 'my Camino was not eligible' option - and that for different reasons!
Otherwise I'm fairly sure that number would be significantly higher, judging from posts I've read throughout the year. There are a number of other questions I could have asked too.
I considered that when I created this poll.

Your second point is a fair one. But then I'd have to change both of the first two answers to more accurately reflect people's intentions. Because I suspect that there would be others like myself that get the first certificate but would have no intention of getting any subsequent ones.

But then, many of us only ever intended to walk one camino - and look how that's ended up!

Which does beg the question:

What percentage of pilgrims have walked more than one Camino?

The denomination doesn't matter. It is the spirit that counts. I mean, they have that option "spiritual reasons." Pretty open to interpretation from my POV. :)
Part of my reasons for not asking for a Compostela these days is that my own religious outlook has changed over the years. When I first walked the Caminos I was much more definite in my Christian beliefs and far clearer about my reasons for walking. These days my religious or "spiritual" thinking is more ambivalent and less easily categorized. I cannot now claim in good conscience that I am walking devotionis affectu vel voti causa or that my visits to Santiago are made in pietatis causa. So it feels dishonest to have my name on the document.

I want to wall paper my office wall with them. My wife and I have six each, so we have a ways to go yet...
But more seriously, the ritual of getting the Compostella is an important end point for each Camino.
The current machine printed ones aren't the same to me, but 'progress' is relentless...good and bad.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You know who is NOT obsessed with the rules? The Pilgrim's office in SDC.

I believe in a higher power than the Pilgrim's office whose judgement I care about much more. The higher power can see all the sellos (or missed sellos) in your life!

The Pilgrim office is the easiest test.

-Paul

You know who is NOT obsessed with the rules? The Pilgrim's office in SDC. Like yah sure you should get two stamps last 100km... I mean that's the rule.

But seriously... if you have a bunch of stamps from a start point like far out... they don't give a hoot. I know this only from like, a bunch of times.

I think those are the only rules tho. I'm trying to think of another one. Nah, walk 100km. Two stamps per day last 100km (sometimes). That's it.

The only time I was ever sorta interrogated , and just for like a second, was when my start point was SJPdP and my credential wasn't filled. I explained, "yah. I skipped the Meseta"...

I personally like a filled up credential tho. I usually get one stamp a day and then try to fill it up towards the end.
It's not so much the rules as it is why “We talk about this often on the forum.”

Given the cost and effort goes into a computer printout of a quasi replica of a historical document, is there a more substantive basis to the compostela?

The most experienced and laid back people I've had the privilege of meeting usually don't bother add to the overhead and cost of getting a second or third computer print out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not Catholic so I don't feel qualified for the Compostela.
I think this is a misapprehension -- the Catholic Church considers the Way of Saint James to be at least an implicit pathway towards Christ, which is why the conditions for obtaining the Compostela seem to be so vaguely defined, and why the Pilgrim Office and the volunteers there provide them with so little hassle. The pilgrimage isn't really "reserved" to Catholics only, but religiously to all who make their Way to the Sanctuary with generosity of and in the spirit.

No, I did not. However I did get my last two stamps at the Pilgrim's Office on my credential. My Compostela was a tattoo on my calf arriving in Santiago.

It was my first Camino (solo) starting in Bayonne, doing the Basque Inland (Vasco Camino) to Burgos connecting with the Frances over to Ponferadda where I hiked the Invierno to Santiago de Compostela. Onward to Fisterra and Muxia. Guess I want to wear my Compostela. :cool:

Attachments

• 20231013_090305.jpg
    20231013_090305.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It is fascinating to watch how the proportions barely change. There are now nearly 150 self-selected poll participants and the split is still roughly 50% to 50% as it was from the beginning.

View attachment 162101

And, yes, I am one of the 7. :cool:
I agree. I'm not completely surprised - it is much what I suspected having done an awful lot over reading of so many threads over the past year, both current and historical. But it is almost gratifying to see my suspicions confirmed. Ultimately I expect it to come down slightly higher on the yes side, because as @Peregrinopaul said above I have not made provision for a number of factors - eg those first timers to answer 'yes I will for my first but probably won't bother for a second' for example.

A side note: I always struggle not to answer those historical threads! Some of them show how much things have changed over the last 10 plus years. Others, how little has changed. For example how the same questions come up again and again and again....

Even after extensive use I still struggle with the search function of the forum.

Even after extensive use I still struggle with the search function of the forum.
Sometimes I do better using the search terms in Google but adding site:caminodesantiago.me to them. This though works the search over threads and not posts.

You can also use Google's advanced search and enter caminodesantiago.me in the site or domain box.
https://www.google.com/advanced_search

Last edited:
I have 4 composer's and a Salvadoran. I've been to SDC 3 times and find the last 100 km and congestion in SDC soul killing. I've completed 5 Caminos and the Muxia-Fisterra loop twice and plan to walk the French Camino, but will never go to SDC again.

€83,-
Sometimes I do better using the search terms in Google but adding site:caminodesantiago.me to them. This though works the search over threads and not posts.

You can also use Google's advanced search and enter caminodesantiago.me in the site or domain box.
https://www.google.com/advanced_search
I use similar approaches, @dougfitz has suggested some excellent methodology in previous posts on the subject.
My point is is that the search function here in the forum itself is not as good as it could be shall we say.

I have 4 composer's and a Salvadoran. I've been to SDC 3 times and find the last 100 km and congestion in SDC soul killing. I've completed 5 Caminos and the Muxia-Fisterra loop twice and plan to walk the French Camino, but will never go to SDC again.
"Composer" should be "compostela". Auto correct. Sheesh!

On my first Camino (Norte/Primitivo) in Sept/Oct 2022, I started in San Sébastien but after realizing my 30+ km per day plan was unrealistic in 35 degree plus temps while dealing with a brutal bed race I skipped two stages and restarted in Bilbao. I put my starting point as Bilbao when applying for my first Compostela
I was asked if I walked the entire route from Bilbao at the Pigrims office and my credential stamps were closely examined. On my 2nd trip-Portuguese Coastal from Porto in April 2023 and 3rd trip Portuguese Central from Lisbon, in Sept/Oct 2023 I wasn't asked anything about actually walking and the credential was given a quick flip. I will continue to walk Caminos, but the Compostela has become meaningless to me. I walk for my reasons and in my way. The experience is everything, and what I learn from the experience does not require certification. Clearly the Camino is a personal experience, but I have been surprised by how little some folks actually walk. I met people on the last trip who were doing the Camino by bus, train and/or cab walking almost nothing. They planned to apply for a compestella. I know that is an extreme example, but clearly the Camino is becoming less of a "walk" for some.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met people on the last trip who were doing the Camino by bus, train and/or cab walking almost nothing. They planned to apply for a compestella. I know that is an extreme example, but clearly the Camino is becoming less of a "walk" for some.

I walked my first Camino before the introduction of the "100km rule". There was no minimum distance required. The distance you walked to the tomb of the Apostle was of less importance where the Compostela was concerned than your reasons for the journey. You were expected to give some explanation of what made your visit a pilgrimage before receiving a Compostela. In practice people usually walked much further then than they do today - about half of those who asked for a Compostela at that time had passed through Roncesvalles. Today most people only walk close to the minimum required for the Compostela. The effect of the 100km rule seems to have been to encourage shorter journeys rather than long ones. If the cathedral has specific rules to be met before handing over a Compostela then that is within their rights and people should be honest when asking for one. But personally I would like to see a return to the days when a Compostela was given in recognition of a pilgrimage to the tomb of the Apostle no matter how the journey was made rather than simply as a certificate of completion of a long distance walk.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the child, first introduced to tests, who asked "Why do I have to prove what I already know?".

I walked my first Camino last spring, Norte/Primitivo/Finisterre/Muxia. I didn't think I would collect a Compestela, although I definitely get a stamp at each stop along the way. And when I reached Santiago, I did not get one, thinking I didn't need one. Then walking the final week to Finisterre and Muxia I started to reconsider and decided I would get one when I returned to Santiago, but only if I didn't have to wait in a long line. I felt like I should get one, but didn't feel strongly about it. There was no line, zero people waiting, when I arrived at the office, I entered all my information and went to collect my Compestela. When I looked at my total mileage, it was just over 620 miles, or 1,000 kilometers, which somehow felt like something really momentous. I have since had my Compestela and my Passport framed, I am still a bit awestruck that I actually did it, 1,000 K walking solo; it also reminds me of all that I learned about myself and to try to keep those lessons in mind in my day to day life back home.

Because there was no one else waiting, the man asked me a bunch of questions about my walk and what I felt I learned - as I started to recount my big lessons learned, I started to weep and feel completely overwhelmed by what I had accomplished and the lessons learned; he encouraged me to start writing about my experiences (my first attempt was "Songs of My Soul - A Magical Camino Moment" which was later featured in Tales from the Camino. Maybe I will feel differently on future Caminos (currently 2 in planning stages!), but I am so glad I reconsidered and claimed my Compestela!!

On a more tragi-humorous note, I was so overwhelmed in the office that I somehow left my American passport on the counter (I had kept it together with my Pilgrim Passport in the same dry sack) and didn't realize it until later that evening when I was getting ready for the next morning's flight. After 42 days of taking out my passport drybag every day and being so careful to always put them both back right away, I somehow managed to leave it behind at the office; another lesson learned.

The office was closed by the time I found it missing, I wasn't 100% sure it was there, but pretty sure with a large dose of hope and trying not to panic. I went to the police station to see if was turned in, I tried to find someone to let me in to see if it was there, but ultimately realized I had to wait until the next morning because there was nothing else to do. Unfortunately my flight was scheduled for 6:30 am. So that last night in Santiago I had an opportunity to put let-it-all-go, there's-nothing-you-can-do-about-it into practice - not going to lie, it wasn't easy, hahaha! The next morning I was able to retrieve my passport, be grateful that I hadn't lost it, and catch the next flight out.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back