• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxi required to O'Cebreiro, hubby wants to walk the hard section

Karen2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago May 2017
Hi, taxi question : my feet are a mass of blisters (new orthotics for PF) and I will be taxi'ing up to OC from Villafranca. My hubby wants to walk the very steep bit of the climb up, can someone please let us know what do we call this start spot??

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, taxi question : my feet are a mass of blisters (new orthotics for PF) and I will be taxi'ing up to OC from Villafranca. My hubby wants to walk the very steep bit of the climb up, can someone please let us know what do we call this start spot??
Sorry to hear about your blisters. I too, taxied up O Cebreiro while my companions walked, as I needed to conserve my resources for the Sarria to Santiago stretch. I recall that the drive up the hill seemed to take an eternity, but my companions said the trek up wasn't too bad. I waited for them at Bar Albergue la Escuela in La Laguna just before O Cebreiro. There was lots of cow activity in this lovely little village and it was interesting to observe the village dogs exercising their hierarchy.

A bit contrary to what is shown in @Rick of Rick and Peg's map above, I recall the trek next morning from Laguna to O Cebreiro was fairly easy. (I was just going to say that I hope the weather is wonderful, but I now see it is raining :( ). Hope the rest of your camino goes well. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Take bus from Vega de Valcarce to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. Take taxi from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to O Cebreiro.

The camino route is not steep.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Steep is a relative term; but there are some grades between LaFaba and Laguna that will require more cardiovascular work than most days since the beginning two weeks, i.e. you would not want to assume that this is a walk in the park; it is however an excellent hike.

Sorry to hear about your blisters. I too, taxied up O Cebreiro while my companions walked, as I needed to conserve my resources for the Sarria to Santiago stretch. I recall that the drive up the hill seemed to take an eternity, but my companions said the trek up wasn't too bad. I waited for them at Bar Albergue la Escuela in La Laguna just before O Cebreiro. There was lots of cow activity in this lovely little village and it was interesting to observe the village dogs exercising their hierarchy.

A bit contrary to what is shown in @Rick of Rick and Peg's map above, I recall the trek next morning from Laguna to O Cebreiro was fairly easy. (I was just going to say that I hope the weather is wonderful, but I now see it is raining :( ). Hope the rest of your camino goes well. :)
Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Take bus from Vega de Valcarce to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. Take taxi from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to O Cebreiro.

The camino route is not steep.
Not, steep! come on man have done it 3 times its steep a guy of early 30 s died there last year. I plan on taking the bus this year. I use a puffer for mounts/hills only because of a small lung and just don't want to risk it. I will take a bus for the first time...after all it's my Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Las Herrerias would be a good place to stay the night. I really liked it there. Stayed in a nice albergue, with good food. Then went to a small bar with friendly locals, and ate lots of free tapas type nibbles. I did struggle a bit next day though due to a mild hangover.

Not, steep! come on man have done it 3 times its steep a guy of early 30 s died there last year. I plan on taking the bus this year. I use a puffer for mounts/hills only because of a small lung and just don't want to risk it. I will take a bus for the first time...after all it's my Camino.
Just in case anyone needs an alternative and doesn't feel like waiting for the bus (or riding the horses up), there is a painless way of doing that stretch from Las Herrerias. I had a good excuse that day (foot issue), but in truth was afraid after looking at the elevations, and at the last minute decided to walk the N-VI up to Piedrafita after reading - I think it was one of Laurie's - posts. The N-VI goes to the circle and then you can cut over by a tienda onto the LU-633 toward O Cebreiro (and still get in some mountain views). It's more in kilometers, but was so easy that if ever did the Frances again, would probably do it that way again. I then took Ana Rodriguez' good taxi service back down to La Laguna de Castilla because had booked a bed there and sent my bag ahead for that one day - really enjoyed their albergue (La Escuela), making the climb to O Cebreiro the next day easier.

Just in case anyone needs an alternative and doesn't feel like waiting for the bus (or riding the horses up), there is a painless way of doing that stretch from Las Herrerias.
Good tip @HighlandsHiker.

Here is an interactive Open Street Map map of the area with pins on the towns:

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....414||42.707816,-7.043627||42.670484,-6.980311

The same except this shows elevation contours:

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....414||42.707816,-7.043627||42.670484,-6.980311

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Las Herrerias would be a good place to stay the night.
I agree! The climb to O Cebreiro is much less difficult early in the day. When you have the time to go slowly, it really is not a problem. Its reputation of being SOOOO hard and steep probably comes from the fact that many people do it at the end of a long day when they are anxious to reach their destination.

I agree! The climb to O Cebreiro is much less difficult early in the day. When you have the time to go slowly, it really is not a problem. Its reputation of being SOOOO hard and steep probably comes from the fact that many people do it at the end of a long day when they are anxious to reach their destination.
I don't agree with you I am an early riser and have done it early and still find it treacherous, I sorry it's not a normal way the steepness is ridiculous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If we're talking steep - I didn't climb O Cebreiro so I don't know - how does O Cebreiro compare with the hill just past Castrojeriz?

If we're talking steep - I didn't climb O Cebreiro so I don't know - how does O Cebreiro compare with the hill just past Castrojeriz?
Seeing as I don't really remember the hill past Castrojeriz, but I do remember the climb up to O Cebreiro, I'd say that O Cebreiro is more demanding. Maybe not steeper, but it does seem to go on and on.

I don't agree with you I am an early riser and have done it early and still find it treacherous, I sorry it's not a normal way the steepness is ridiculous.

Got to agree with Nathanael. This is tough; I'm fit but I could feel and hear the blood thrumming through my ears.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is the difference. I also included SJPdP to Roncelles profiles. Adjustments should be made to account for the starting elevations but that is a bit more work than I want to put into the project at this time.

A line going from a lower left corner of a grid box to the upper right corner shows a 10% uphill slope (100 meter rise over 1,000 meters.) So you see, roughly, Alto de Mostelares is a 10% uphill grade over a kilometer and the steep part going up to O Cebreiro is 10% going for 6 to 7 kilometers. From km 4 to km 7 on the Route Napoleon you are doing a 15% grade over 3 km. From km 18 to km 20.5 on the Valcarlos route there is a 13% grade over 3.5 kilometers.
hills.png

Last edited:
Here is the difference. I also included SJPdP to Roncelles profiles. Adjustments should be made to account for the starting elevations but that is a bit more work than I want to put into the project at this time.

A line going from a lower left corner of a grid box to the upper right corner shows a 10% uphill slope (100 meter rise over 1,000 meters.) So you see, roughly, Alto de Mostelares is a 10% uphill grade over a kilometer and the steep part going up to O Cebreiro is 10% going for 6 to 7 kilometers. From km 4 to km 7 on the Route Napoleon you are doing a 15% grade over 3 km. From km 18 to km 20.5 on the Valcarlos route there is a 13% grade over 3.5 kilometers.
View attachment 33781
Thank you very much for doing this. It is extremely helpful. :)

I'd hazard the steepness is about the same at some points. Both routes were used as roads at one time or other. The rise to O Cebreiro is much longer and requires that you pace yourself.

800 - 900m over 2 km Castrojerez

600 - 1300m over 8 km O Cebreiro

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd hazard the steepness is about the same at some points. Both routes were used as roads at one time or other. The rise to O Cebreiro is much longer and requires that you pace yourself.

800 - 900m over 2 km Castrojerez

600 - 1300m over 8 km O Cebreiro
Yes, the hill past Castrojerez is a little ant hill compared to O Cebreiro!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This trek on the Chilkoot Trail, in these conditions, must have been sheer hell. Still, I venture to say that whoever printed this picture took the liberty of tilting the angle a bit, for effect maybe? Those figures just don't seem to be at quite the right angle for going up such a steep hill. Don't you agree?

To get back to the actual trek, I recall reading somewhere that so many of these men died from starvation early on - having set out without enough food - that eventually the powers that be made it mandatory that each man show that he had two years of provisions before he was allowed to head out. The conditions were bad enough...imagine having to carry two years worth of food!

This trek on the Chilkoot Trail, in these conditions, must have been sheer hell. Still, I venture to say that whoever printed this picture took the liberty of tilting the angle a bit, for effect maybe? Those figures just don't seem to be at quite the right angle for going up such a steep hill. Don't you agree?

To get back to the actual trek, I recall reading somewhere that so many of these men died from starvation early on - having set out without enough food - that eventually the powers that be made it mandatory that each man show that he had two years of provisions before he was allowed to head out. The conditions were bad enough...imagine having to carry two years worth of food!
Just looked up a few facts on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilkoot_Pass

Required were 1000 pounds of food and another 1000 pounds of equipment. To move all this one mile you ended up walking about 80 miles, half of that loaded. Slope was about 500-600 feet in about a half mile. That's like a 21% grade over a third of a kilometer. Avalanches could wipe out 100 men at a time. I imagine the footing was rather slippery too.

I don't know. Perspectives can do a lot of strange things. I would note the top of the line is further away than the bottom of the line. Too, a lot of people are hauling a lot of gear. That means people bent over from load but it also means load is altering perspectives. So I wouldn't agree that the Chilkoot picture is somehow skewed from level. Its looks like I remember it from when I hiked it. Never mind that I wouldn't understand why a photographer intent on historical record would do such a thing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know. Perspectives can do a lot of strange things. I would note the top of the line is further away than the bottom of the line. Too, a lot of people are hauling a lot of gear. That means people bent over from load but it also means load is altering perspectives. So I wouldn't agree that the Chilkoot picture is somehow skewed from level. Its looks like I remember it from when I hiked it. Never mind that I wouldn't understand why a photographer intent on historical record would do such a thing.
If you've done the Chilkoot Trail, I envy you. The closest I've got to it was the White Pass Railroad. But I did meet a young German fellow in Skagway who was just heading out on the Trail. He was sitting nearby with a sizeable backpack; naturally I had to talk to him. :)

If you've done the Chilkoot Trail, I envy you. The closest I've got to it was the White Pass Railroad. But I did meet a young German fellow in Skagway who was just heading out on the Trail. He was sitting nearby with a sizeable backpack; naturally I had to talk to him. :)

I've seen queer sight by the midnight sun but the queerest I ever did see ...

Its quite the trail. I stayed first night at Happy Camp at the bottom of the hill with a wide assortment of hikers that could only have been more diverse in the Klondike days ... including many greenhorn hikers equipped with the most god-awful gear ... kinda sorta like day-one-pilgrims on the Napoleon route. I'd already been route-bashing for several weeks in Kluane so Chilkoot trail was relatively easy.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hello Fellow Pilgrims, We are walking for the first time in two weeks and getting all our logistic ducks in a row (all that we can think of, anyway) - we’ve done a little research and asked...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada. It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back