• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thanks for the kitchen scale tip!

Excursionista

happiest when walking
Time of past OR future Camino
De VdBierzo (2004)
Pamplona-Sahagún (2021)
I tried to remember/figure out whom to message directly but didn't manage it. I wanted to share my thanks for the idea to use a kitchen scale to measure gear weight.

Someone mentioned it in the course of another thread, and I was surprised to find how inaccurately I was guessing at relative weights. My pack will be significantly lighter on my next leg of the Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
as if it matters if the pack has 334g more or 336g less...as if a kilogram or two decides whether you arrive in Santiago or not...do you also weigh the food in restaurants and your groceries you eat?...."oh I need to go to toilet before I continue, my cargo is to heavy" :)

I think it is much more important that the thoughts are focused and connected to your heart! Instead of focusing on each ounce/gramm and split hairs....
relax and let it go.....
I don't wanna be offensive, just my opinion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
as if it matters if the pack has 334g more or 336g less...as if a kilogram or two decides whether you arrive in Santiago or not...
Absolutely, a few grams here or there don't make much difference, but I've found a few pounds that I could easily eliminate by bringing alternatives that I already own. Since foot pain has been my main limiting factor on past Caminos, I'm more than willing to see whether a 20% pack weight reduction leaves me with more mental load for other things.

Perhaps I'm worse than most guestimating weight. :)

Last edited:
I don't go as far as making a spreadsheet of the weights of everything that goes into my backpack, but when I'm deciding between two equally good options I weigh them on my kitchen scale and pack the lighter weight item.
The phrase "weighing one's options" has never seemed more appropriate. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it is much more important that the thoughts are focused and connected to your heart! Instead of focusing on each ounce/gramm and split hairs....
My thoughts may be connected to my heart, but my back pack is connected (indirectly!) to my feet, and my feet are my limiting factor.

Some of us really enjoy our spreadsheets, so please let us have our fun.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My thoughts may be connected to my heart, but my back pack is connected (indirectly!) to my feet, and my feet are my limiting factor.

Some of us really enjoy our spreadsheets, so please let us have our fun.
weight is not the only thing that causes foot pain. Especially not when I count the individual grams....and focusing on it doesn't help either.
You can have your spreadsheets!
I don't want them... :)
to be so accurate and weigh everything is just not mine. like I said....that's all!
I thought I can write my opinion down here no?

€46,-
as if it matters if the pack has 334g more or 336g less...as if a kilogram or two decides whether you arrive in Santiago or not...do you also weigh the food in restaurants and your groceries you eat?...."oh I need to go to toilet before I continue, my cargo is to heavy" :)

relax and let it go.....
I’m just sharing this as a side, I would agree if wanting to weigh things a kitchen scale sounds like the best way to do it. but we too don’t weigh things. When I took my five kids from Le Puy to Finesterre we got so bored by the “ how much do your packs weigh” question. We didn’t keep track and just said “ we don’t want to know”… such questions bored us…and unless someone is carrying a piano or an elephant I’m so not interested in others weight.

I found out the hard way that I should have been more concerned about weight. When I started my journey in SJPP I went along with a friend to the pilgrims office. They have a hook you can weigh your pack on and I hung my pack from it as a lark. I found that instead of the 18 pounds I had estimated, my pack weighed 28 pounds.

Going over the mountain and beyond with that was very difficult and I didn’t figure out until Longroño that I could mail items ahead to Santiago in order to lighten the load.

I’m preparing for an April Camino on the Via di Francesco in Italy. I will certainly be weighing things as I decide what to bring. But that’s just me. Everyone has their own way of preparing for and walking The Way. I don’t think it’s necessary or helpful to double or triple down trying to convince others that my way is the best and another pilgrim’s way foolish or unnecessary.

Every gram makes a difference. why? Work = mgh, mass * gravity * height , in our case the mass term
is your W = weight + backpack + shoes + clothes + water + food + poop ...
height in this case is not your height but how high does your (cog) center of gravity moves up or down with each step, slower speed gives a double wammy, each leg moves in a parabolic curve that makes the cog move up and down in a longer arc, faster speed makes for a steadier arc and lower cog moves ...
All else being equal , since we have some items that we must have then you have to look at the worse weight culprits and try to reduce them.

Backpack == if your BP is a couple of kilos unloaded you might need to rethink this ...
shoes == trail shoes are the lightest but your feet are your mode of locomotion, make sure that your over cushioned 12mm drop shoes can handle the big W in the formula, waterproof more weight
clothes == make sure that you don't confuse want with need, do you want to look good for eating lentils for dinner? but do you need to look good? A summer time camino will require the least amount of clothes, fall time will need a lot of maybes, rain garb is heavy at the end you end up wet anyway
water == 0.5L that can be refilled at every town works good except if you are doing via de la plata and the temp is > 30C, make sure that water is in your W total, otherwise REI has a new product its dehydrated water the best for emergencies, no weight ... ;-)
food == them trail bars sure weight a lot , do you need them? the energy comes from sugar, free with every expresso
last , well, take care.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
weight is not the only thing that causes foot pain. Especially not when I count the individual grams....and focusing on it doesn't help either.
to be so accurate and weigh everything is just not mine. like I said....that's all!
But you opinion is somewhat condescending.

I found your opinion like a poem, and loved it’s wording! I looked at it as encouraging words vs a lecture. Not even certain it was an opinion as a mindfulness encouraging alternative on how to think while we might curse our packs weight. so much so I shared your post with four my kids still at home!

relax and let it go.....
On the margin, a few ounces here or there wouldn’t have made a difference, but added up they could have. The thing is, when it comes to packing, it’s not plus or minus. It’s only plus. I set myself a limit of 22 pounds (10 kilos) for my pack, including my camera. I weighed everything and had a spreadsheet to keep track of it all. I had an entire tabletop filled with items that didn’t make the cut. I didn’t want weight to be an issue. It wasn’t. Focusing on the weight of my pack forced me to whittle things down to the essentials. I carried only what I needed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

relax and let it go.....
I'd much rather focus my thoughts with a 4kg backpack than a 10kg one. The fault you are having is that one prohibits the other. Why wouldn't i cut the labels of my cloth. It takes seconds, it save me a few gramms, some labels itch. Theres just no reason not to do it.
Same goes for my packing. I actually carry the stuff that i like. If someone would carry my pack for me and weight would not be an issue at all, i still would take the same things. It's not like i'm missing anything...

I don't make a spreadsheet but I have just got into weighing items and I am surprised just how useful this is. There are so many like for like items that I can just choose the lighter one. Especially things like the warm layer

I will definitely be having a lighter Camino and since I have foot and ankle problems I think this is a good idea. I am trying to shed pounds off my body, out of my rucksack and also get rid of the weight of emotional baggage I don't need. That last is proving by far the most difficult! Any suggestions or spreadsheets on how to shave a few grams off that most welcome!

relax and let it go.....
I used a kitchen scale and a spreadsheet for my first camino last September. I enjoyed the process of it all. My major goal in walking the camino was to let go of control including letting go of making sure I had anything and everything I could possibly need during my walk. The scale and spreadsheet grounded me in reality each time I weighed and adjusted the contents of my pack. I’m not saying it was a pretty process. There were some tears of frustration and grief. For me, the camino began here in my home. I felt great joy and satisfaction as I walked my camino knowing what mental and emotional price I paid in getting there. It still brings a smile to my face.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used a kitchen scale and a spreadsheet for my first camino last September. I enjoyed the process of it all. My major goal in walking the camino was to let go of control including letting go of making sure I had anything and everything I could possibly need during my walk. The scale and spreadsheet grounded me in reality each time I weighed and adjusted the contents of my pack. I’m not saying it was a pretty process. There were some tears of frustration and grief. For me, the camino began here in my home. I felt great joy and satisfaction as I walked my camino knowing what mental and emotional price I paid in getting there. It still brings a smile to my face.
That's the message! Thank you V-Hiker!

relax and let it go.....
Your perspective on weight shaving might change over time.

I agree completely. Weighing every little thing forced me to get my priorities sorted and to leave “just in case” back home. I still remember that each camera battery weighed 3 oz.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am totally focused on the weight of my pack. I want to be in Europe for 7 weeks with a 15 pound pack. Of course, I'm 6'1" and weigh 225 #'s; about 30 pounds overweight . . . so there's that too . . . . :confused:

I tried to remember/figure out whom to message directly but didn't manage it. I wanted to share my thanks for the idea to use a kitchen scale to measure gear weight.

Someone mentioned it in the course of another thread, and I was surprised to find how inaccurately I was guessing at relative weights. My pack will be significantly lighter on my next leg of the Camino!
I'm 5'1", with some foot issues, I do care about the weight of my pack. My husband was very entertained, watching me weigh my stuff. But I definitely saved weight, all those grams add up.
And one of the things I grew to understand about the Camino, is how happy I can be with so little stuff.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd much rather focus my thoughts with a 4kg backpack than a 10kg one. The fault you are having is that one pro
I am talking about a couple of pounds not about a difference of 6kg! I think you totally missed my point!

I just got a brain fart I want to share:

Seems like planning a pilgrimage today takes the same effort as a doctoral thesis.
Isn't a pilgrimage an adventure or rather an all inclusive holiday where everything seems to be prepared and booked?

my experience/opinion
"Not preplan everything" creates the unforgettable memories and stories we will tell our children and friends.
Only stepping out of our comfort zone develops our personality and individuality.

"Always considered about our safety!"

Safety suggested for example from the smartphone/apps and Google maps! As if a human can't be without.
Do we questioning ourselves these days if these kind of technology is supportive or rather a bondage who stops us from thinking and following our instincts?

Anyone considered walking a Camino without a mobile/camera or a drone?
These gadgets are mostly on the spreadsheet aren't they?

I just want to philosophize and like I always say: don't be offended!

Dennis

edit post scriptum: I have no idea how many kilos of litter I carried to the next bin, because of what...the packaging was empty heavier as it was before in those backpacks?
No I am not asking for a reward....

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But you opinion is somewhat condescending.
@Len Dacombe , I think most times people are trying to either be helpful or express their point of view. I always try to keep in mind that there are thousands of pilgrims on this forum from hundreds of countries for which English is not the primary language. Translation apps lose a lot of content especially if the writer uses slang/cultural terms, and certainly written word does not convey any sarcasm nor sincerity Sometimes things sound harsh... I choose to give the benefit of the doubt. Everyone is going to have a different Way.

When I travel by plane I often take a bag weighing scale to ensure we don't have to pay excess on the flight home.
We stayed two nights in SJdPP, and even though I had weighed my planned walking pack before I left, I still added things to the bag to be shipped to Santiago for afterwards. I also swapped my Teva sandals for cheap flip flops from a souvenir shop and swapped my heavy 3/4 length gortex jacket for a poncho I bought across the road from the Pilgrim's Office.
It's never too late to review the weight!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Len Dacombe , I think most times people are trying to either be helpful or express their point of view. I always try to keep in mind that there are thousands of pilgrims on this forum from hundreds of countries for which English is not the primary language. Translation apps lose a lot of content especially if the writer uses slang/cultural terms, and certainly written word does not convey any sarcasm nor sincerity Sometimes things sound harsh... I choose to give the benefit of the doubt. Everyone is going to have a different Way.
this is definitely a good point!

as if it matters if the pack has 334g more or 336g less...as if a kilogram or two decides whether you arrive in Santiago or not...
Um, for some of us it very much matters! It isn't a matter of a pack weighing a few grams less because you weighed something. It is a matter of selecting a whole series of items that weigh less than other items - reducing your pack weight significantly. I have hiked with a 45 pound pack where I had to carry camping gear, food, and water for a week of hiking through mountains. I have worn a pack that carried a weeks worth of "lightweight" clothes for a normal "backpacking Europe" vacation (the kind where you hop on and off a train and only walk a mile or two to/from hotels every few days). And I have hiked cross country with a 12-15 pound pack. I can tell you, hiking 500 miles with a 12-15 pound pack is significantly more enjoyable. Last year I aimed to keep my total Camino pack weight under 15 pounds (that was with my CPAP). And even then I got to Pamplona and raced to the first post office I could find to ship more stuff home. I don't need a CPAP this year, so my goal is to keep my total gear under 14 pounds, including the clothing and shoes I plan to wear. Yes, I use a kitchen scale and a handheld scale with a hook to measure all of my gear in grams. If I am choosing between two pairs of pants, I look at comfort and weight and usually pick the lighter pair. I do that will all my gear when possible. I often cut the tags, some things have a ridiculous amount of "tag material". And I have fun making a game out of figuring out where to lose the extra pounds (yes, all those grams add up to pounds and kilograms). When I see how much my pack weighs - if it isn't where I want it to be then I look to see what can be eliminated. And you know what? What I pick to eliminate, is rarely missed! Some of you may think it is ridiculous - but I can tell you my pack will be at or at least close to a weight that is comfortable for a 500 mile hike and my back and the rest of my body won't suffer because I overpacked. Been there - done that! Won't do it again unless it is the type of trip where it isn't possible to stay light.

I’m one of those that has a spreadsheet. I’m not being fanatical about it but it’s there and I want to keep an eye on things to make it a bit easier on myself. However, for me - and I know this isn’t possible for everyone -, the easiest (?) thing to make my future Camino more comfortable is to lose the extra 30lbs / 15kg that I’m carrying in excess fat. That will make the Camino a lot easier on the feet 😀. I have a year in which to do it and I’m getting there (very slowly) 30lbs down so far and another 30 to go.

relax and let it go.....
For me, Dennis, @pasiño a pasiño , the weight mattered a lot. I walked my first Camino a few months after a mastectomy, my fourth camino brought along a tumor in my right knee, and this camino in June follows a major abdominal surgery less than a year before. It is less about obsessing and more about a system for keeping comfortable and safe. I could always pack like a strong camel and send the bag ahead or risk becoming injured...I choose to carry my pack. It is not always mind over matter, sometimes it is necessity. I might add that I've never found searching for the lighter pack weight a chore, I found it an enjoyable challenge...in the end with a pack that I made perfect for me...spreadsheet, scale and all! Maybe a new perspective?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m one of those that has a spreadsheet. I’m not being fanatical about it but it’s there and I want to keep an eye on things to make it a bit easier on myself. However, for me - and I know this isn’t possible for everyone -, the easiest (?) thing to make my future Camino more comfortable is to lose the extra 30lbs / 15kg that I’m carrying in excess fat. That will make the Camino a lot easier on the feet 😀. I have a year in which to do it and I’m getting there (very slowly) 30lbs down so far and another 30 to go.
30 lbs! Wow...congratulations...not a small accomplishment. Buen Camino!

this is definitely a good point!
Well I still felt you were less than encouraging. And while I agree that a few grams here or there won't make much difference, a few Kilgrams will make a huge difference and could be the difference between a great Camino or serious physical injury. You can ignore my comment, that’s up to you.

I am totally focused on the weight of my pack. I want to be in Europe for 7 weeks with a 15 pound pack. Of course, I'm 6'1" and weigh 225 #'s; about 30 pounds overweight . . . so there's that too . . . . :confused:
My sentiment exactly! My pack usually weighs no more than 13 lbs. My entire body feels great and is very happy walking long distances:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

relax and let it go.....
A kitchen scale helped me decide to leave most of my gold bars at home.

I just got a brain fart I want to share:

Seems like planning a pilgrimage today takes the same effort as a doctoral thesis.
Isn't a pilgrimage an adventure or rather an all inclusive holiday where everything seems to be prepared and booked?

my experience/opinion
"Not preplan everything" creates the unforgettable memories and stories we will tell our children and friends.
Only stepping out of our comfort zone develops our personality and individuality.

"Always considered about our safety!"

Safety suggested for example from the smartphone/apps and Google maps! As if a human can't be without.
Do we questioning ourselves these days if these kind of technology is supportive or rather a bondage who stops us from thinking and following our instincts?

Anyone considered walking a Camino without a mobile/camera or a drone?
These gadgets are mostly on the spreadsheet aren't they?

I just want to philosophize and like I always say: don't be offended!

Dennis

edit post scriptum: I have no idea how many kilos of litter I carried to the next bin, because of what...the packaging was empty heavier as it was before in those backpacks?
No I am not asking for a reward....
My husband, also a Dennis, would have philosophized about unnecessary pack weight worry in his 30’s. Now in his 60’s, low pack weight to save his knees, feet and stamina is a central theme of his current “philosophy”. Still living in the present moment, its just a present personal reality that is quite different from 3 decades ago. But I’m pretty sure we’ll be out on the camino “letting go” while we’re feeling so much lighter on our feet and enjoying all the other people we meet in whatever their own present moment is, Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back