• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Art of Kit!

Torrent1964

Hi,

Although I have not done the Camino yet, I have been cycling for a while and can be often found hurtling up and down mountains most weekends regardless of the weather or going cross-country. I have developed a standard kit list which accompanies me on longer stay or ride journeys and I thought I'd share at least part of it with you.

It might be nice for people to talk about their experiences regarding kit and the Camino with any recommendations. For istance until the Camino, I will never have used a pannier set-up. Usually I carry everything in a backpack so I can drop it and ride as i need. Fellow riders on the forum have been immensley helpful in selecting a pannier and rack.

So, here goes - my basic clothing kit missing sleeping and provision list as well as tool kit.

Clothing Kit List
1.2x cycling shorts (Endura Humvees – excellent durability and comfort as well as good value for money) you can take the liners out and use as functional shorts.
2.1x cycle longs - not lycra (I use Northwave for chilly mornings or tired legs – good support and extra pelvic cushioning). I have worn then in 42 C with no problem.
3.2x cycling Tops (with multi pockets)
4.2x base layers (I have found berghaus to be the lightest and best) 1 should be long sleeve or both. This will allow double up on evening shirt.
5.2x cycling socks (I use cotton tennis anklet socks as you can walk in them with no blisters)
6.1x good cycle shoe (five tens as they double up with a change of sock for a very comfortable walking shoe). I also use a shimano shoe which can be adapted for walking, but allows clipless if you're into that - I love flat.
7.1x boxers – commando is cool – literally.
8.1x gillet (lightweight/windproof)
9.1x weather jacket (I use Montane Men's Velo H2O Jacket lightweight and dry)
10.2x cycling gloves (off & on road). A good fitting glove can seriously reduce hand fatigue!
11.1x beanie
12.1x helmet (it’s illegal to ride in Spain without a helmet, but it’s also stupid in the UK or anywhere to ride without one!)
13.Toiletries (solo or shared – I tend to ride in company and share a bag, but not a tooth brush)
14.Sunblock - and don’t forget your lips especially riding in heat and dust!!!!
15.A universally accepted truth – moisturise the nether regions in the morning to avoid 'trailrash' in the evening especially as not all synthetic liners are nice to you.
16.Besides the obvious sleeping and bike fix kit, one other essential item is a good roll of insulation tape (electrical tape). It’s brilliant for strapping strains and holding things together. i never travel without it. Oh, don’t forget the ‘wet wipes’ too.

Its not extensive, but I have more than survived the British & African weather with this as well as 2x weeks in the Alps.

I can post my sleep & tool kit if so desired or just because i can.

Torrent :) :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, generally I'm pretty much guaranteed to always have the following - walking and cycling. I do alot of camping as well.
So -
bar towels. Even for my daily rides in the Pennines, on the Trail, or wherever. Camping, cooking, cleaning, stopping stuff banging about, loads of uses.
bike multitool - endlessly helpful.
leatherman multitool. as well as the above. pliers, screwdrivers, corkscrew.....brilliant.
antiseptic handgel. when I'm drystone wall building, cycling, camping whenever....essential.
airtight, watertight bags. great fan of Ortlieb.
cable ties.
duct tape.
paracord. 10m piece of parachute cord 550lb strength. everything from washlines, extra guy line, hanging food up at night at camp - endless uses.
bandanas, buff.
needle and thread - blisters, clothes, tent fabric, groundsheet, whatever.

sounds alot - I'm not into clutter - but the above have proven themselves over time.

Thanks guys - you must have been reading my mind as I now only starting to think of equipment (first need to decide which Camino to bike: Norte or the Levante/SanabrĂŠs). Up till now I have only walked and have that down to a science at 5kg backpack and all!

Now what about rack and panniers? I have a Trek mountain-bike that I need to equip. I am in The Netherlands but internet is always a possibility.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers,
LT

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
LTfit said:
Thanks guys - you must have been reading my mind as I now only starting to think of equipment (first need to decide which Camino to bike: Norte or the Levante/SanabrĂŠs). Up till now I have only walked and have that down to a science at 5kg backpack and all!

Now what about rack and panniers? I have a Trek mountain-bike that I need to equip. I am in The Netherlands but internet is always a possibility.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers,
LT

You have three realistic options if you intend to trail ride rather than road...
1. Blackburn Pannier Rack (my choice at half the price of Old Man Mountain but just as well built)
http://www.blackburndesign.com

2. Topeak Rack http://www.topeak.com

3. Old Man Mountain Rack http://www.oldmanmountain.com

From a Pannier perspectiveI think it comes down to two:
1. Ortlieb (very popular in Euriope and completely waterproof if you don't mind shiney bags)
http://www.ortlieb.co.uk

2. Carradice Super C http://www.carradice.co.uk

Both bags attach really well and won't bounce off or rattle. they will also last for a very long time and hold their value if you wish to ebay them after.

So, after my own research and advice seeking, I have gone for the Blackburn Rack and Carradice Super C setup, but its down to you. the Topeak is okay, but I just heard everyone else 'raving' about OMM,Blackburn, Ortlieb and Carradice.

Regards

Torrent. :D

Hi Torrent,

Thanks for the info. The Ortlieb look good to me but which rack. I looked though the sites you mention but there are so many options for racks...I will probably be combining road and trail biking.

Of course many more things to think about when biking...tools, etc.

Maybe a silly question but do you get blisters biking everyday (on feet haha!)?

And did you pack you bike in a cardboad box for the plane?

Tks and felices pascuas!
LT

I would add Arkel panniers.
http://www.arkel-od.com/

The xm series is made for mt. bikes and far more stable than anything out there. Ours have gone on ten long trips, including 5,000 km of various Caminos (Prague to Santiago) and the Great Divide from Canada to Mexico. They are being packed to go from Nice to Rome and are as good as the day we bought them.

We put them on Old Man Mountain racks. The first time we got those racks we were amazed how well the bike handled. They will work with full suspension. The last trip on the tran-Canada trail every rack which wasn't OMM broke--- that includes some Blackburns.

Torrents' list looks reasonable, but on a trip without camping I would take almost all the 2X and make them 1X. We wear our bike clothes into the shower, give them a finish off in the sink, roll them in a towel to dry and hang them up---they're good to go in the morning. We carry just rear panniers and a small handlebar bag. My wife and I can do a six week trip with 8.5 and 11 kilos total. Because of the trim load, aging pilgrims like us can ride the trails, rarely needing to detour on the roads.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
my list is inclusive of camping (bivouac). I agree that if no camping is involved, then you can reduce size again. I think racks will be up to you. I looked at arkel, but felt that between speaking to british tourers and the cost, I would avoid them. I am not going to to the trans Canada, etc. so Blackburn is good, but if you can OMM then power to you. :mrgreen:

Of vourse, when considering kit, think season too.

I will post a tool kit and sleeping pack this week sometime.

Torrent1964 said:
I am not going to to the trans Canada, etc. so Blackburn is good, but if you can OMM then power to you. :mrgreen:

You said you had not done the Camino, and have never used panniers. Perhaps your opinion will evolve as you move from research to actual use.

We have done the Camino Frances twice, 95% on the trails, and our recommendation for anyone who plans on riding the actual trails is to get Arkel panniers and an Old Man Mountain rack if you can afford it. There are parts out there as rough as any route, (rougher than the trans Canada trail which is mainly old railtrails where we travelled.) An experienced downhill rider such as yourself may want to ride those sections.

If you find you want to take more trips, you'll finish with gear as good as new. If you are never going to tour again, well, people know how this stuff holds up and it sells for a good price on ebay. I know many people have used other set-ups just fine, but our experience has shown that to be the most "artfully selected kit".

You said you had not done the Camino, and have never used panniers. Perhaps your opinion will evolve as you move from research to actual use.

We have done the Camino Frances twice, 95% on the trails, and our recommendation for anyone who plans on riding the actual trails is to get Arkel panniers and an Old Man Mountain rack if you can afford it. There are parts out there as rough as any route, (rougher than the trans Canada trail which is mainly old railtrails where we travelled.) An experienced downhill rider such as yourself may want to ride those sections.

If you find you want to take more trips, you'll finish with gear as good as new. If you are never going to tour again, well, people know how this stuff holds up and it sells for a good price on ebay. I know many people have used other set-ups just fine, but our experience has shown that to be the most "artfully selected kit".[/quote]

I hear you. I normally travel with a back pack and drop and ride. My problem is one of budget. I am paying for two others to ride as well and I am kitting them out. Bar your good self, I only have actual contact with tourers who have all recommended OMM and Blackburn. I haven't met anyone with Arkel experience and they are too pricey for me given how many I will need to get. Simple math unfortunately. I think availabilityt int he UK certainly is difficult too unless you've heard differently(?) I met a bunch of cyclists down in Bath at the weekend and bar one rider, they had either OMM or Blackburn with Ortlieb or Carradice, but this really is a moot point. I hear your experience and that stands for a lot. Any other advice re: kit would be most appreciated. I need to just get used to my bike feeling/responding different with panniers :lol: !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
LTfit said:
Hi Torrent,

Thanks for the info. The Ortlieb look good to me but which rack. I looked though the sites you mention but there are so many options for racks...I will probably be combining road and trail biking.

Of course many more things to think about when biking...tools, etc.

Maybe a silly question but do you get blisters biking everyday (on feet haha!)?

And did you pack you bike in a cardboad box for the plane?

Tks and felices pascuas!
LT

Sorry, a little side tracked! Okay here we go. :oops:

Blisters:
I have found that with a proper sock and shoe for the bike, I have never had a blister. Are you using a clipless pedal? I tend to avoid cycle socks and use an ankle sport/tennis sock as it works for walking in too.

Boxing the Bike:
I have a bike bag, but you have the problem of starting in one place and finishing in another, so boxing is best. take the bike to a local bike shop and they will (a) box it for you if you give plenty notice) or (b) give you box to box the bike yourself. This is simpler than you think if you have not done it before and I am sure we can talk you through it, or a bike shop can.

Butt Blisters!
So, touring day in and out has impact upon the behind. Good moisturising stops road rash on the sensitives and good inners to your cycle shorts along with a well broken in saddle will go some way to easing this.

Rack & Bag
This is obviously from the discussions going to have to be your choice. You get what you pay for in my book, so if you have the money, go for the good stuff.Like I say, historically, I have carried everything on my back, dropped it and ridden. Panniers are new to me and I have gone with blackburn rack.

Torrent1964

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
newfydog said:
Torrent1964 said:
I am not going to to the trans Canada, etc. so Blackburn is good, but if you can OMM then power to you. :mrgreen:

If you find you want to take more trips, you'll finish with gear as good as new. If you are never going to tour again, well, people know how this stuff holds up and it sells for a good price on ebay. I know many people have used other set-ups just fine, but our experience has shown that to be the most "artfully selected kit".

I am interested in which Arkel bags you have gone for?

Torrent.

We use the Arkel XM 45. Some trips my wife carries the XM 28.

Here's a pair:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arkel-XM-45-Tou ... 4ab6466f9f

If I we were not leaving next week I'd ship them to you.

Our last trip I used a jetboil stove. Very impressive design, fast, light, efficient and packs up rattle free.

the bikes loaded up in Czech Republic, headed for Santiago

Attachments

• jakub 80.JPG
    jakub 80.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 819
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning, In summer I am going to cycle the Camino de Santiago from Harburgo to Santiago. I need help to find the list of youth hostels or accommodation in this route. The numbers from 1 are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back