• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino taught me.... ACCEPTANCE!

jimkaszynski

RIP 2014
Time of past OR future Camino
First step June 1st 2013
Welcome back to "Sunday Morning Coffee with Jim," hope you haven't been going through any coffee withdrawal? This will be published once a month because I am going full-time on my book about the lessons learned from my Camino de Santiago walk. The title may be, "STICKS AND STONES." The meaning is not what you may think?

What a whirlwind my life has been on since I walked the 500 mile Camino de Santiago. When you walk for
56 days by yourself, life answer come to you when you don’t even know the questions? Now, I know the questions! I have been on my back for eight months and question everything; WHY ME?

Accepting things the way they are, has exceptions. When life throws challenges it is easy to say “That’s the way it is!” Or, do you look for other options? The blocking point is always feared. The fear of accepting things the way they are or going agents the grain and look for new ways to accomplish what you really want.

I am still at Mayo Clinic, which I consider has the best medical care in the world. The good news is I am walking again, even without a walker plus, my back pain is gone. It’s been a long eight months lying on my back. I don’t like to say, “The Bad News is,” but the challenges I still face is my blackout issue and the strokes. I had a second stroke here at Mayo Clinic. They feel the blackout problem is not related to my back problem or the strokes. They feel I will have to live with this challenge. I am not at the point of accepting this; it will be difficult living with this the rest of my life. The strokes still has the doctors puzzled how someone as healthy as me, could have this happen, but feel it can be controlled with medication.

So, this brings me to the question of acceptance? Most of you know me and throwing in the towel is never on my agenda. However everyone has a breaking point, as I did fighting my addiction with drugs and alcohol. Not until I surrendered and said “I give up,” I cannot do this alone, did I find to door to live in peace. “I can’t,”….”We can,” has been my answer. "We," can be your God/Higher Power, the Universe, or a group of people who has gone through what we could be facing. Today, I use this when I face the fear of acceptance. These are some lessons I learned as I walked for 56 days on my Camino and will be with me the rest of my life.

I have received thousands of messages for my healing from around the world and they worked. I misunderstood the intent of all the prayers received. I thought that they would heal me when what I really wanted was to be at peace with where I was in life. I am at peace, the message; “I can be at peace and still be in pain and suffering is always a choice, but pain is not.” Thank you for bringing me back to my Camino lesson!

Lov.Jim Hope to be back in Thailand soon. Feel free to make a comment or suggestion in the box below.

A short story by Paulo Coelho, another pilgrim who walked the Camino. His book "The Alchemist," is a great read!

Choosing One's Destiny
Spiritual Story by Paulo Coelho
"I am willing to give up everything", said the prince to the master. "Please accept me as your disciple."

"How does a man choose his path?" asked the master.

"Through sacrifice," answered the prince. "A path which demands sacrifice, is a true path."

The master bumped into some shelves. A precious vase fell, and the prince threw himself down in order to grab hold of it. He fell badly and broke his arm, but managed to save the vase.

"What is the greater sacrifice: to watch the vase smash, or break one's arm in order to save it?" asked the master.

"I do not know," said the prince.

"Then how can you guide your choice for sacrifice? The true path is chosen by our ability to love it, not to suffer for it.".... Paulo

This is the second video I made as I was waiting for my next appointment I had at Mayo Clinic. Known as one of the best places in the world for medical care, Mayo Clinic, has not only the best doctors, but the patients and staff supply entertainment. Unbelievable! “One day over the rainbow.” plus "Amazing Grace." If your going to Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, Minnesota stay at the "Nazarene Well House," contact, Linda Scott Day, click here. much more than a bed, their home is filled with love and compassion, my new family! " [youtube

CONTACT....Jim Kaszynski

jimideaman@netzero.net

Phone; Thailand and U.S. 815-200-4004

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great post, Jim.
Acceptance is a great gift from the Camino, or wherever you may find it.
You're an inspiration to many of us. Thanks for sharing your life.
See you on Facebook.

Hello Jim, I have really missed you, is all this a result of your motorcycle collision with a large hole in the road in 2013? I am so happy to hear from you, but quite upset to hear you are still suffering and you must be missing the children in the orphanage terribly. Now I too will have to learn acceptance and it is difficult, but how much more for you, God bless you, beautiful man!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great post, Jim.
Acceptance is a great gift from the Camino, or wherever you may find it.
You're an inspiration to many of us. Thanks for sharing your life.
See you on Facebook.
CaptBuddy, thanks for your words of inspiration, the Camino has taught me so many life lessons. I don't know where I would be without it. I am walking today because of the Camino. Now, I feel I should pass on the the lessons, not only to pilgrims but to other people in the world. That was the message I got from my walk.

Hello Jim, I have really missed you, is all this a result of your motorcycle collision with a large hole in the road in 2013? I am so happy to hear from you, but quite upset to hear you are still suffering and you must be missing the children in the orphanage terribly. Now I too will have to learn acceptance and it is difficult, but how much more for you, God bless you, beautiful man!
pilgrim b, I still have some challenges, but feel it's temporary. Acceptance, but still look for other options. I will find out if my motor bike accident is the cause in a few weeks when I have another appointment with Mayo Clinic. I hope to be back in Thailand as soon as I get the OK. I still have many children to help. That is my purposes of life, another Camino message.

pilgrim b, I still have some challenges, but feel it's temporary. Acceptance, but still look for other options. I will find out if my motor bike accident is the cause in a few weeks when I have another appointment with Mayo Clinic. I hope to be back in Thailand as soon as I get the OK. I still have many children to help. That is my purposes of life, another Camino message.
Slowly one moment at a time Buen camino Buddy:) take good care of yourself,keep in touch.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be on your back for 8 months! I wish that I had an answer for your question. With your permission, when I go back on the Camino again next year, I am putting a stone on the Cruz de Ferro in your name.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be on your back for 8 months! I wish that I had an answer for your question. With your permission, when I go back on the Camino again next year, I am putting a stone on the Cruz de Ferro in your name.
Hi Dennis, I would be honored for you to put a stone on the Cruz de Ferro. Your thought is very healing for me. One lesson the Camino taught me is everything is temporary, even life, so let's enjoy every moment!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jim Kaszynski passed away last night. Many knew him through this forum and through his Facebook posts.
May he RIP.

Poor Jim. May he rest in peace.

I think Jim unintentionally threw a bombshell into the forum with his "walking without money" threads a while back, and I was always impressed with the grace and kindness with which he answered what came to be some very harsh criticisms. I think we all learned a lot from him, and I appreciated his openness and candor about his life, his camino, and his illness.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is really sad news. Jim was so positive and upbeat in the face of his major health challenges. Those final words of his last post seem to sum up his attitude beautifully: "...everything is temporary, even life, so let's enjoy every moment!"
RIP Jim, and Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bless you Jim your joy was so infectious as it poured over me slowly filtering into my being you are loved and missed Camino angel. We will remember you and your smile, rest in peace.
Buen Camino :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.