The curse of the Camino

Sarahandlouise

Mar 17, 2013
Time of past OR future Camino
April 2013
Sometimes our path to to the Camino is a challenge. In April we had to cut short our walk due to a family bereavement and we carefully planned our return trip for September. As we booked our flights for September 5th and reconnected with friends who were also returning in September we started to pack our bags. Today I broke my thumb in a sliding door at home and the Dr's opinion is I can't travel next week. I have a horrible feeling that there is a conspiracy against us......a personal journey thwarted by fate.
On a spiritual note my youngest daughter was on a train from London and the man sat opposite her started to talk to her about the Camino........unprompted he said he knew that her mother had walked part of the Camino without finishing and that I had to return......trust me I am trying to return but it might be 2014 now!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

MM4214

Feb 22, 2013
What a shame about your thumb. I really enjoyed your blog and was looking forward to the continuation of your Camino. The "force" is strong in you as witnessed by the soothsayer, so I know it will eventually happen-thumbs and all!

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Sep 15, 2005
Moratinos, Palencia Spain
www.peaceableprojects.org
Many, various, and continuing.
When you do finally make it, it will be GREAT. In ways you cannot even imagine now.
(Not to contradict a doctor, but why do you need a thumb to walk the camino? I saw a pilgrim last week who was doing it with one arm...)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

annakappa

RIP 2024
Jan 6, 2009
Costa Rica
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Unless there is some extra complication not mentioned, I don't understand why a broken thumb could stop you walking the Camino. One little girl broke her arm when walking the Camino (daughter of kiwifamily on the Forum). They fixed her up, carried on walking to Santiago. Last year I tripped over and broke a rib, but I still carried on walking, still carrying my backpack.

Reactions: tploomis

Carol06

Jan 15, 2012
Mangawhai , New Zealand
Frances (May 2012)
Frances (May 2015) all going well and with my husband this time.
Sometimes our path to to the Camino is a challenge. In April we had to cut short our walk due to a family bereavement and we carefully planned our return trip for September. As we booked our flights for September 5th and reconnected with friends who were also returning in September we started to pack our bags. Today I broke my thumb in a sliding door at home and the Dr's opinion is I can't travel next week. I have a horrible feeling that there is a conspiracy against us......a personal journey thwarted by fate.
On a spiritual note my youngest daughter was on a train from London and the man sat opposite her started to talk to her about the Camino........unprompted he said he knew that her mother had walked part of the Camino without finishing and that I had to return......trust me I am trying to return but it might be 2014 now!
If it were me I think I would just go anyway. A broken leg, yes stay at home, but maybe you can cope with your thumb. Unless your arm is in a sling and then how are you going to get your pack on. Good luck!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Sarahandlouise

Mar 17, 2013
April 2013
At the moment the pain is incredible because of swelling, I go back to the fracture clinic on Friday to have it re set! I walk with Nordic poles that strap around my thumbs and that won't be possible for approx 6 weeks. With some other underlying health considerations I need my Dr to be on side so will take his advice....I would say fingers crossed but under the circumstances!

Aug 14, 2013
Port Orange, Florida and Syracuse, New York
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
I use poles as well when I hike so I understand how iportant they are for you. I have learned over time that there is a reason for everything. So, do what you beleive is the right thing to do and I suspect that you are being led to that decision for some other reason that you may or may not ever know about. Buena suerte.

Olivares

Veteran Member
Jul 12, 2011
USA
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
Get a second opinion. I've seen people on prosthetics doing the Camino, so not sure how a set thumb truly prevents one from walking... Use transfer services. Get an ice pack. The medicine is Spain, specially, Orthopedic Surgery is outstanding. Been in Spain while injured may be a blessing in disguise....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

cherie

Jun 11, 2008
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
VDLP to Finisterre 2009
Le Puy to SJPDP 2013
Frances 2014
GR700 & Arles 2017
Norte 2019
I sympathise with you Sarah The exact thing has happened to me. Yesterday I had an operation to pin my thumb which was the same day I was meant to fly out. My Le-Py camino has been postponed for 10 days and my surgeon is quite happy for me to go. I plan on using one pole initially.

Sarahandlouise

Mar 17, 2013
April 2013
I saw my surgeon today and he has said because of my long term diabetes and risk of infection I can't travel for 4 weeks! We have now rebooked 22nd April 2014 so we will return a year almost to the day we had to leave. Hoping third time lucky!

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle WA
kitsambler.wordpress.com
SJPP 2023
... I walk with Nordic poles that strap around my thumbs ...

PacerPoles are shaped differently, so they interact with your hands differently, including the thumbs. It might be helpful to check them out for your situation, if the Nordic poles are the sole limitation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Apr 13, 2007
Palmerston North, New Zealand
chemincamino08.blogspot.com
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
Broken thumb might 'sound' minor- but I know from breaking my wrist that the hand has a myriad of different movements that we need it to do. Best to be home where it can be checked easily to make sure it is healing as it should. And if you have a heavy cast that you need to keep dry.... I know I couldn't have walked like that. Camino will still be there for you next year. All the best! Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

pollockce

Aug 17, 2012

Reactions: MM4214

pollockce

Aug 17, 2012
Remain positive and keep planning your Camino. My husband and I had originally planned our Camino for 2008. We had to cancel the night prior to flying out due to work obligations. It became one of our biggest regrets so this past May, we decided to make it happen. We were unable to walk the full amount due to work but got 300km in. I injured myself on a steep muddy downhill on day 2 hiking outside of SJPdP and though I would have to bail again. However, I went to an osteopath, did baggage service for a few days, aspirin, and knee brace to finish. You have been called and you will make it. It will happen when it's right....just keep making those plans! Buen Camino!

Reactions: MM4214

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides