• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The days before starting in St Jean

Paul_L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés Feb-April (2015)
Camino Francés March-April (2020)
We are starting our first camino in a couple of weeks, but have a strange problem. We are meeting people in St Jean to travel together. We now have about 4 extra days before starting as they are arriving later than anticipated. We will be leaving Paris on the 9 Feb, and starting on the 14 Feb (arriving in SJPP on the 13th) What would people suggest on the way to St Jean? We've thought about a stay in Tours for a couple of days, or maybe Bayone, or walking from Bayonne too (is accomodation tricky for families walking from Bayonne - there will be 7 of us, my wife and our five children from 2-15 years old?) Any ideas would be appreciated (on a limited budget, so nothing extravagant!)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You could visit Lourdes. I've never been, so I don't know about transport links etc. Otherwise just winding slowly down France is a nice problem to have!

Hello Paul!

Great place for staying is Bordeaux! Beautiful and atractive city with a good accessibility by train to Bayonne and then SJPdP.

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are starting our first camino in a couple of weeks, but have a strange problem. We are meeting people in St Jean to travel together. We now have about 4 extra days before starting as they are arriving later than anticipated. We will be leaving Paris on the 9 Feb, and starting on the 14 Feb (arriving in SJPP on the 13th) What would people suggest on the way to St Jean? We've thought about a stay in Tours for a couple of days, or maybe Bayone, or walking from Bayonne too (is accomodation tricky for families walking from Bayonne - there will be 7 of us, my wife and our five children from 2-15 years old?) Any ideas would be appreciated (on a limited budget, so nothing extravagant!)

WOW!!!!

Stay some days in Paris. One of the main "must see"capitals in the world. You could stay there for "ages" until you have seen the main attractions. Interesting city, great atmosphere, great food ! Easy traveling from one place to the other by metro. Book an appartment for some days viaAIRBNB or WIMDU as we allways do .

Buen camino

there will be 7 of us, my wife and our five children from 2-15 years old?) Any ideas would be appreciated (on a limited budget, so nothing extravagant!)

What an extraordinary gift to your children, and your family as a whole. Good for you! (Seeing the orgy of silly toys being given to children in my family this past Christmas is going to give me hives ;0) )

If you can afford it, by all means, extend your stay in Paris. With 5 children of that age you may not want to spend hours at the Louvre, especially with the little ones, but this may give you a few ideas of family activities: http://www.timeout.com/paris/en/for-kids. Or you may want to slit up: one of you with the older ones for a more traditional site seeing tour while the other goes for a child friendly activity. The first day you will most likely need an afternoon nap but after that what a city to visit.

If you do not want to take all this time to be in Paris you can then make your way south. Bordeau has a lot to offer and you can also take a bit of time to see Bayonne.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Are you doing the whole 800km Paul?
If so Paris for a few days, Bordeaux is great and easy access to Bayonne and then get going.

The reason i say that is they will catch you by Zubiri or Pamplona.
You might have to start in Spain if the mountain is closed/dangerous as Feb could supply any weather or the 2 days via Valcarlos.
Orisson will be closed .

I think we are close to making a decision, we will spend a couple of days in Paris. Whilst I love the idea of slowly winding our way down France, I'm not sure it is best for the kids to travel by train for a couple of hours every day, then settle in a different place (which sounds a little like the camino now I write it!). Thank you to all the ideas put forward, they have given me hours of searching online for different options, and a couple of spreadsheets checking prices with different ideas.
We thought of starting before them, but we are starting and finishing together. I was keen to walk the Voie de la Nive, but was the only one in the family. We anticipate completing the whole camino SJPP to Santiago, however plan on going via Valcarlos. I don't think there will be any other alternative.
Thanks again to all. Only a couple of weeks before we start. Surreal!

After Paris, Bayonne is an interesting place to wander around & then an easy connect to SJPP in the morning.
Buen Camino
Colin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
After Paris, Bayonne is an interesting place to wander around & then an easy connect to SJPP in the morning.
Buen Camino
Colin
I think we are close to making a decision, we will spend a couple of days in Paris. Whilst I love the idea of slowly winding our way down France, I'm not sure it is best for the kids to travel by train for a couple of hours every day, then settle in a different place (which sounds a little like the camino now I write it!). Thank you to all the ideas put forward, they have given me hours of searching online for different options, and a couple of spreadsheets checking prices with different ideas.
We thought of starting before them, but we are starting and finishing together. I was keen to walk the Voie de la Nive, but was the only one in the family. We anticipate completing the whole camino SJPP to Santiago, however plan on going via Valcarlos. I don't think there will be any other alternative.
Thanks again to all. Only a couple of weeks before we start. Surreal!

Do as Colin says Paul , get to Bayonne/Biarritz ....great .......especially Biarritz.
Start the day before mate and meet in Valcarlos , its a wonderful way to there.
Great alberque for the family.................you will be alone .

It will be harder in the months you are walking, enjoy and don't bat an eye lid if you thing you should change plans.
My best wishes to your family on tis great adventure,
Buen Camino Paul.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back