• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

The Earliest Representation of Saint James in Christian Art

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Cyprus during the 70's was devastated and eventually divided by the war which pitted the Greeks with the Turks. Northern Cyprus is now Muslim and Turkish while Southern Cyprus is Christian. The war also generated a movement of peoples to their respective sides of the new border and allowed the wholesale destruction of Christian artifacts in the North. Some enterprising Turks did realize that much money could be had from the sale of these artifacts to Christian dealers, collectors, and con-men in the Christian world. The Panagía Kanakariá mosaicsa looted from the church in Lythrankomí were part of this wheeling and dealing. Of the four mosaics spirited out of Cypreus, one depicted...Saint James.
Quite possibly the earliest know artistic representation. The narrative surrounding the modern history of these mosaics may be found here, a remarkable story:
https://plone.unige.ch/art-adr/case...thodox-church-of-cyprus-and-cyprus-v-goldberg
PS I know, I know, this is not the proper forum for this subject, please do allow people to have a look before sending it off to oblivion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think this is an appropriate forum for this item. It is about St. James the Greater, the basis for everything here.

I liked the OP.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very beautiful, if slightly depressed looking, Santiago.

I know the sculpture at Santa Marta de Tera, on the Camino Sanabrés, is believed to be the oldest depiction of Santiago as a pilgrim, but is it the oldest known depiction of him in Spain?

A new St James representation! Thank you!
I looked it up, the church is from the 5th century, the mosaics from the mid-6th century. Oooooold!

Santa Marta de Tera's church is from the 10th century and like you said, @alansykes, its statue is believed to be the oldest one of Santiago as a pilgrim to his own shrine. There are earlier depictions of Saint James in Spain as a simple apostle of the Christ, so not as recognizable... One apostle often looks like another apostle, and the name "James" doesn't really help, because of the other James among the apostles...
Here are eg pictures of James among the apostles and Christ in the Beatus of Liebana (776). No way to know who he is here . Or here, even if there is less choice: red or green dress you think?

Skruffy
Thank you very much for sharing!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum