• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The hardest part is the travelling

Vigdis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008/2009, Roncesvalles-Burgos Oct. 2012
My next trip is only 5 weeks away. This will be my fifth time travelling to the Camino alone. But still I'm worried.

I always try to find the easiest way to travel, for me. Going by airplane is the best. Trains are difficult. I have to find the right platform. Buses used to be ok, but after experienced that the bus took a overturn on my way from Madrid to Astorga it isn’t anymore (it all went well, no one got really injured, only bruises and abrasions).

The first trip was the worst, before I left that is. But Madrid turned out not to be at all as big and scary as it had been in my mind. And a joyful thought came; “I did it! Why did I worry so much”?
But I still did, the next time. I was to travel in a different way, to a different place.

It has become better from the first trip who was with no doubt the worst, but I’m still afraid now. I’ve began to sleep poorly. For me there is a huge difference in travelling alone or with someone. I need to know all I can find out before I get there. I envy people who are able to take everything as it comes, without worrying :)

Last year I was supposed to walk from Le Pey. But I got cold feet. One plane, three trains, I could not do it. I know a little Spanish, not much though, but without knowing a word of the France language it became too much. Well, well, maybe I was not supposed to do that, I tell myself. I can walk in Spain, which always has been the number one favorite country to me. It really is ok.

This time I am going to take a plane from Norway to Gatwick in London (Norwegian). Then a new plane London-Madrid (Ryan air), and after that Madrid-Pamplona (Iberia). I have two hours between planes.
(To get home I will take a night train from Burgos to Barcelona, but that don’t worry me much, not yet anyway, most likely because it is so far ahead. But also because I will have the calm brought to me after walking the Camino. The way home is for some reason easier than to get there).

What if the first plane can’t leave because of, let’s say, bad weather conditions? Will Norwegian get me to Spain? I really don’t know. And I kind of doubt it. Both Norwegian and Ryan air sell low fare tickets. And what if I don’t catch the next planes?

I am afraid not to find the right terminals. I am afraid not understanding what people explain to me. I am afraid of not being able to eat on the journey (but surely Ryan air offers food?). I am afraid of bad turbulence on the planes, after the bus accident I once screamed out loud when it happened, it reminds me of the shaking of the bus before it went down. Kind of embarrassing if I do, sitting there by myself… :)

I keep telling myself “so what” to all my silly questions and worries. But it doesn’t really ring through. My comfort is that once I’m at the Camino there will be a complete calmness in me.

It’s just a journey.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:D Hello Vigdis!
I run practical Camino pilgrim workshops in my home town in South Africa and in between I have a regular stream of wanna-be peregrinos asking for advice on how to get there, where to start, what to pack etc etc.
Nearly all the question starts with 'What if....?"
What if my flights are delayed?
What if there are no beds left in the albergue?
What if I am injured?
What if the weather turns cold?
What if I get behind on my schedule?
What if ..... what if ........... what if...........?
Its difficult to say "Just go and walk and it will sort itself out" but that is all one can do. The really big question is,
"What if you fall in love with el Camino and have to keep working so that you can earn enough money to keep going back and back and back?"

I listen a lot to a woman named Esther Hicks, and much of what she says has REALLY helped me.

I truly understand your fear.
My father and my brother were killed in 1971 in an airplane crash that I was supposed to be on.
I had dreamed the plane would crash and refused to go.
This has given me a gut-wrenching fear of flying.
I also have an unnatural fear of dogs after being attacked by a pit bull... even a chihuahua scares the heck out of me...

But Esther says,"This Universe works on laws of Attraction.

If you scream YES! at something, you attract it.
If you scream NO! at something, you attract it.

The BEST thing you can do for yourself is to put yourself in a space where you are happy.
Try to conjure up the happiest thoughts, feelings, memories you can until you feel happy.
Do it in whatever way works for you... memories... music... playing golf... walking.

And then, once you ARE happy, you will attract only good things.

I really believe her because I've watched it work in my own life.
My income last year, due to my MCS, was around $6,500 and I got along quite well.
Most folks would think it was impossible.
But rather than concentrate on my LACK of funds, I just figured it would all be ok..
and it has been.

So that's my advice.
Find something that makes you happy and safe, and do it.
And you will attract more happiness and safety.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
sillydoll:
Must say that I recognize some of the "what if's" you are mentioning ... :) Not all, fortunately, but some of them. They are a helpful reminder; It will go well.
You ask a very good question at the end of your post.
And the truth is, this too is a worry in me... :): I already HAVE fallen in love with the Camino, and keep thinking that I have to stay on working for a long time to go to all the caminos I want to... (I am 58). But is that necessarily a curse? May be it's a blessing.
Thanks for taking the time answering me :)

annie:
Must have been terrible losing your father and brother in that plane crash. Your story makes an big impression on me. Strange thing what you dreamt, and that you did not go with them. It makes me think that you had more to accomplish in this life in spite of this painful accident.

I have not heard of the author Esther Hicks. But you are right. One often attracts what one are thinking. The power of thoughts are enormous.
Do you know the name Donald Walsh? He says about the same things in his books.
I know this, and I will just have to try to live it. Allthough it is not only easy for a anxious person like myself :)
Thanks a lot for your advices, Annie :)

Hello Vigdis. I am selective about which posts I read and also respond to on this forum, because of time constraints, and also that I know that there are times when my views would be shouted down - so I keep my own counsel and PM instead. However I feel compelled to respond to your post.

Firstly I could cut and paste almost your entire post and say I was writing about myself! I too am a nervous traveler, a statement which has my friends rolling in the aisles with laughter! The reason for this is that I have walked 3 Caminos (and planning my 4th - and 5th - and 6th!) and completed almost five thousand kilometers on these. How can someone who has walked so far through 2 different countries be a nervous traveler they ask? True, I am fine leaving Australia and waiting 5 hours for my connecting flight in Singapore. It is when I get to Europe that the nerves kick in - all those things you mentioned:- what if I cannot make myself understood, what if I get on the wrong train / carriage etc, what if I can't find the platform, miss my connection etc.

I have found the secret is to allow plenty of time (which is why I never book before hand like my more accomplished friends do) firstly to make myself understood and secondly to find where I am going. The other things that I do is get to where I am going as quickly as I can. As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter if it takes the whole day. Once I am there, it is then that I can relax, rest, and in my case recover from jet lag.

I am a musician, but I have the most appalling ear for languages and an even more appalling accent with the few words that I have! I try really hard, but am hopeless. However, I go with the attitude that (once I get there, mind you) all will be well. I expect nothing, give many smiles, use the basic words of hello and thank you in the language of the country I am in and somehow manage! Once one begins to walk it all seems easy - or easier! I repay the very many kindnesses I receive with a song often resulting in hugs and tears (and no - I am pretty sure because they were grateful, not because it was so hard on the ears!)

One day when I was walking on the Camino del Norte I was lost. I couldn't find the arrows to leave a small town (building works had changed things around). A man went out of his way to cross the street and point me in the right direction, and every-time I veered off where I was meant to go there would be a shrill whistle - I would look around and he would be pointing the way for me. This happened about 3 times until I eventually found the arrow pointing up a steep stair case and when I turned around we waved and off he went. All this was done with me thinking in English and he talking in Spanish (may have even been Basque). I could fill a whole book of stories such as this and I guess why I am telling you this one is that yes, I know you are afraid, but try and accept that all will be well once you start on your journey.

I walk in both France and Spain for the simple reason that I cannot choose between the two and so I go to both. Once I begin walking the day slots into a rhythm and somehow everything works out. I make use of the services offered (tourist office etc) and I know that if you can just accept that things will work out you will be fine. Somehow there have always been people that I can talk a little too. I remember having a great conversation with a Polish Italian pilgrim once. She had about 10 words of English, I had about 50 words of musical Italian and those - combined with gestures meant that we chatted over coffee for an hour or so!

For my retirement I am planning a looooong walk which includes your country, and I am feeling the same way about that, but when the time comes (assuming all is well with my health and that of my elderly father) I will fly into Copenhagen rest - and begin walking! I plan to walk from there because I feel nervous about catching anything to anywhere else - now I know that as this is close to your territory you must be laughing at me, but I say this to let you know that there are other that feel just like you.

Be brave - think about Le Puy again, it is indeed a very beautiful way. It really is nowhere near as scary as you think - and, like I say to people here in Adelaide - if I can do it with my poor language skills and nerves - anyone can!. Regards, Janet

jl said:
I am selective about which posts I read and also respond to on this forum, because of time constraints, and also that I know that there are times when my views would be shouted down - so I keep my own counsel and PM instead. However I feel compelled to respond to your post.

Hi, Janet.
There is a saying that goes like this: common fate, common comfort, and I find it to be true. Not that one wants someone else to have the same problems, but it is good to learn that one are not alone. Yes, it takes time to spend time here and answering posts, especially maybe for me cause I have to translate everything in my head into English. Sometimes I also have to look up words that I have forgotten in English.

It is good to get to know how you feel this, Janet. And to learn about your thoughts and experiences. I understand very well that it is harder for you to go to Europe than it is to go from Australia to Singapore (going Norway-Great Britain is not a very big problem to me). I have often thought that it is admirable of all you folks coming to do the Camino from Australia, USA, South Africa and other far away countries, often alone. I am after all an European travelling in Europe. Having plenty of time helps. To have to rush to the next plane or train or whatever is awful. And as you say; once I am there, I'm relaxed.

Yes, they are very helpful along the Camino, I have experienced getting help without really needing it , but they take the time to point the way anyway. Once being on the Camino I feel safe and peaceful.

It is hard to choose which way to do, I don't know which to walk next, yet, maybe my upcoming trip will tell me. I have walked most of it before, but the first time I "cheated" a bit by taking the bus here and there, and having walked all the rest from Burgos to Santiago it feels like I have to go back and complete it. Well, that's me.

There are other ways I want to do before Le Puy, but may be I'll get back to it when I'm "finished enough" in Spain. I had planned the first part of the route, you know, even bought plane ticket, but changed my mind as I say above. But if you could do it, then I must be able to too? It is the language that scares me the most, the France people is known in Norway for not being able to speak English (sorry, France people...). Did you find that to be true, Janet?
After I left the idea I have also found that there would be a better way to travel from here, with less trains and more flights, - so may be one day :)

jl said:
For my retirement I am planning a looooong walk which includes your country, and I am feeling the same way about that, but when the time comes (assuming all is well with my health and that of my elderly father) I will fly into Copenhagen rest - and begin walking! I plan to walk from there because I feel nervous about catching anything to anywhere else - now I know that as this is close to your territory you must be laughing at me, but I say this to let you know that there are other that feel just like you.

So you are thinking of walking the pilgrimage to Trondheim then?
I might ease you a bit at one point: Scandinavians speak good English, they also LIKE to speak English, unless they are shy to speak it, some of us are. But everybody know how to.
I think you will feel that you are very welcome. Maybe most will find it a bit strange if you say you are a pilgrim (before on the pilgrimage to Trondheim), but you will be very welcome.

I used to fear Kastrup airport in Copenhagen the first time I travelled alone to it, I remembered it big from previous visits, but it was very easy and not big at all. It's got a lot of screens telling you where to go.
Just so you know that.
From there you could take a plane to Oslo, they leave often, or a train to the same distination. But I don't know what your plans are. And I know it is hard to do. I know that.

Maybe you have already found it, but here is the link to the Danish pilgrim sociaty:
http://www.santiagopilgrimme.dk/ (does not work in my browser for the moment).

And to the Norwegian one:
http://www.pilegrim.no/
And in Trondheim:
http://pilegrim.info/

They should be able to help you with all the questions you might have.

I think you are really tough, Janet, to go this far. In Spain and France the tracks are marked very well, after what I've heard it still remains some work until they are just as good on the St. Olavs way, but people find their way.

Thanks a lot for your reply and good advices, Janet.
Let's be brave both of us, and good luck to you on all your pilgrim walks to come!
It will go well. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Years ago, before I travelled much, I read a story about Liza Minnelli. She said her family (mom Judy Garland, sister Lorna Luft and herself) would frequently fly on holidays. One Christmas her mother brought gifts and food and they had Christmas on the plane. It never bothered her to travel on holidays because of how her mother made them fun. She didn't feel she was missing anything.

So I've adapted this for myself. Although I am a nervous flier, every time I step on a plane I remember Minnelli's story. I think her mother attracted a good time and taught her daughters that home is where you happen to be.

Thanks for your input, Maya.

Maybe I can try to remember that story too. :)

From there you could take a plane to Oslo, ......

My apologies for taking so long to reply Vigdis. Though there is no excuse, I have a reason in that I have been busy helping the family of my elderly neighbor who collapsed and died the day before your reply arrived. She has been my neighbor for 27 years and was part of my family and so my son and I were helping by playing at the funeral, giving eulogies, and catering for the visitors. Your reply arrived in the midst of this - hence my tardiness.

Now the quote above. Yes, I realize that I can take a plane to Oslo, but I actually have a yen to arrive in Europe and then just walk........ for about a year (providing I can get a visa). My plan is to head North on St Olav's way then come back down to, and through, Denmark, along the via Baltica, so that I can walk on the Polish way to Prague, then North to get around the mountains and along the Jakobswege through Germany and eventually to France and the Paris path to St Jean, before arriving in Santiago.

This is a very brief outline, and it will not happen for another 4 years (need to save the money), but in the meantime I am busy collecting as much information about the various ways as possible. The idea came to me while I was walking on the Camino del Norte in 2009. I decided that if my son could ride a push bike from Regensberg to Adelaide, a distance of 20,000kms, (he walked with me on that pilgrimage from Troyes to Vezelay) his Mum should be able to walk somewhere between 7 - 8,000kms in a year!

We all have dreams! Hopefully I will be able to follow this one! Cheers and Buen Camino, Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
If someone has seen a big life-event like you describe, he or she will probably have to live with a deep scar. While it becomes older one can get used to it. But it will never disappear completely.
My suggestion:
Be aware of it, accept it and treat it with love and care.
Enjoy every day which is light and bright! And continue travelling.... take a deep breath and go :!:

jl please don't apologise. Your neighbour was obviously important to you. What a good friend you are. Take care.

Janet:
No need to apology, I perfectly understand that you had much more important matters to take care of than answering in this forum. It might be me who should say I am sorry now, though, for answering late, but I am not here every day :)

Wow! Your plans sounds SO exciting! Didn't even know about all those ways to walk. I've only heard of some of them. Wish you all the best and good luck with your planning and search of information. Hope your dream will come true! :)

marian:
I am not quite sure if I know what you mean by your first part of your post, but I understand the last of it. Thank you :) For the moment I am actually pretty calm about the journey. I keep thinking it must go as it goes, and right now I have a feeling that it all will go very well. Don't know how I will feel one night or two before though, but hoping the feeling will stay with me :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back