• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Journey Before THE Journey

JMiller

** ACK **

I was editing this (my brother read this and made me delete a patch - incriminating evidence, hah )

Hit two wrong buttons and poof - all gone

The equivalent of tripping over a root and going face first into the dirt, hah

I'm James
I'm going to walk the Camino :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi James

What a lovely post! You're very blessed to have such an understanding family.

I also first heard about the Camino about 20 years ago while 'studying' in Spain (most of my 'studying' took place in the bars of Valencia!). The Camino was always at the back of my mind, and then shortly after I was made redundant earlier this year I saw an article about it in the newspaper. That was it! It was the perfect time to do it, and I was on the plane as soon as my new passport arrived. It's funny how these coincidences happen when you need them.

Buen (pre) Camino!

Keith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Excellent post - so much that many of us can instantly connect with.
I wish you the very best - it will be so fulfilling to undertake the way and reach Santiago but you may well find that the journey will not end there, it has been with you for so long already.

Thank you for sharing this pilgrim.

prayers for your preparing

Andy

I got goosebumps reading about the first pilgrims you saw! I can see the streets of Pamplona ... and the people making room for them! Beautiful post and you are one lucky man. My family still thinks I'm nuts, and that's after two Camino's! Aw hell, they maybe right anyhow!

Wishing you all the very best as you plot and plan and prepare! It took me more than 20 to get to my first Camino and all I do know now is, I'm hooked. Hoping for a third soon. After all I've been home for just over 4 months now!

Buen Camino Perigrino,

Karin

Hello James ... from the west coast of Canada. Somehow national boundaries disappear on this wonderful site as we all seem like one in some important way. What a beautiful message you have shared with us. I must admit that a tear or two rolled down the cheek as I imagined that lovely exchange between you and your wife. Best wishes as you carry on down the road of the journey before the journey.

Hi James,
a lovely post, truly inspiring. I am hoping to walk my first Camino VDLP next September. Like you I think my journey has already started, at least in my heart. I have walked distances before as a young man in the Army, but at 47 years, I have become quite unfit. I now feel the spiritual call of the Camino so that I too can express my gratitude for the blessings that I have in my life. I wish you all the very best, God bless.
Neil

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, its been quite an experience already just anticipating and now working towards that day...

J

I'm glad I got to read your post before it got sucked into cyber-space. I'm excited for you.

Welcome to the Forum.

I have a few caminos under my belt - each one was different. I've learned a lot at each one and hope you keep posting about your planning and actual journey.

I smiled when I saw my original post. When I wrote it, it seemed like an impossibly long time to have to wait ... from age 45 to waiting to turn 50 ... planning something for five years. Waiting and waiting and waiting...

Now... ** POOF ** four months gone; I think that I am entering infamous middle-age time-warp, heh.

So I guess Ill beg your collective forgiveness for dropping off the face of the site for awhile , thank you all for the kind words you have spoken, and give you all a little update on my journey so far.

First, I now find it laughable to wait until I am 50 to take the Camino. No, I cannot do it this summer (too many obligations) , nor next . So, God willing, I have firmly settled on Summer 2014. Im going to walk it during the summer, regardless of crowds or heat (hey, Im from Florida.... heat is not a problem for this Cracker). Since I teach school, it is the most logical time to go -- I've already checked with my school district so Ill be able to use flex days and start two weeks early, so the Sunday after I turn 48 (June 1) Ill walk out of my front door, go to Church, and keep on walkin' to the airport. Yes, Im going to "cheat" and take the train from Paris to SJPP and from there it will begin in earnest.

I really would rather walk the Camino during the fall, but Id have to take a leave of absence and lose income. So Summer it is... besides, saving the $$ will allow my wife and child to fly over at the end if they choose and have a 'real' vacation with me. (heh heh...plus, by walking in the Summer it will, by necessity, oblige me to return to the Camino in some distant future and , God willing, walk it again during the fall... the machinations of men and their journeys)

Funny thing is, my wife is more concerned with me walking across town to the airport than she is with me walking across mountains and Northern Spain. I no longer feel guilt that they are letting me do this -- they have been so incredibly supportive of the idea -- but I still have the nagging fear that accompanies leaving a wife and child for the better part of two months.

Ive been training steadily for the past several months; its almost shocking how out of shape I was when I began. The pounds are falling off; the muscles and joints are beginning to remember their old strength. Ive rediscovered the joys of blisters and my feet are getting tougher with each week of road-time. (laughing) it took a long time to get this out of shape, and the long, slow process of rediscovering my health has been, and will continue to be a blessing in itself. I should be pretty hardened by the time I begin. Its funny, at the beginning of this I was mainly concerned about physically being able to do it -- now Im beginning to see that as my health and strength returns, the focus becomes inward, inward, inward. It has been, already, an experience of profound spiritual significance.

My daily walks (I walk 5 miles each morning with a couple of 10 mile walks each week..done a few at 15miles as well) have been an utter blessing. I get to see my city wake up each morning (or hear the owls at night); the time has become precious and very introspective -- each step is like a little prayer. I carry a small pack (loaded with 7 kilos ) now and my staff (Im wondering how Im going to get it on a plane... seems to be part of my body now) to help me prepare.

Thunk thunk thunk. Pray pray pray. Odd to start the Lenten season already focused.

The air smells sweet at five a.m. That pit bull isnt really mean. The (Im assuming) drug dealer nods as I trundle past -- heh, the first time he met me I was wearing a "hoodie" and had the staff (not a bad idea with the aforementioned pit bulls and "scary" folks that sometimes lurk) and he gave me a nickname... "Jedi"

Thunk thunk thunk. Pray pray pray. Hope he doesnt die in the gutter.

If the Camino turns out to be as nearly profound as this prelude, its going to be a mind blowing and soul-expanding exercise in praise and thanksgiving.

I wont be a stranger from now on, I promise...

James

Welcome back James. I well remember your original post. I'm glad you are enjoying the early preparations. Keep us with you as the excitement mounts and the plans are made real.

Best wishes

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back