• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The other load in the Camino

Hi everybody, I find very interesting what Caminando said in the topic of “Fear”, I decided to start a new topic that I want to discuss, because not only focus on fear, I think is about to many other things.
Caminando said:
Your fears are, I think, nothing to do with the Camino. You will carry them with you everywhere till you manage to deal with them, and I hope you can. Fears are so crippling. Yet these fears you mention are all self-focusing; in other words your area of interest is yourself. You say you don’t want to meet others on the Camino and will cut yourself off from them; this too is an example of self focusing. It may not be the time for you to do this; unless you use this chance to address your fears. If you do try it, consider leaving the camera at home; it can be a way of displacing the present. Good luck!
I thought about it during my experience in the Camino, that we carry not only our fears, we carry too many other things, after I left Puente la Reina I call it “The other load”, more heavy than our bag pack, and it’s the sum of all what we have in our minds (our normal thinking), like thinking a lot about our gear (boots, bag back, wear, raincoat) if they are the appropriate , even some people worry about cell phones, laptops, Ipods, batteries, chargers, etc, things that deviate our thinking, I mean there are other things to experience, much beautiful things (not only in the Camino). We should try to think differently, to see things in a different way, doing the Camino is an opportunity to do it.
For me, next time I do the Camino, there will be no camera, no cell phone, no watch, not a single electronic device. Sometimes, I think about all those pilgrims in the medieval times, they only worried about food, water and shelter, for us in the present what a wonderful experience should be to really imitate them, cause at the end, even when we are not aware, that’s what we all do in doing the Camino, imitate what others have done for centuries.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmmm. . . yes, Mexicanpilgrim that's so true. We all carry our baggage with us, mental, physical and emotional baggage, many people carrying it onto the camino to deal with it. Some just go off to Spain for a long walk and find themselves under the power of the Way, having to deal with all sorts of feelings and thoughts.... and the more we give ourselves over to the experience, the more amazing the experience.

You are probably right about all those electric gadgets, and I know I spend a lot of time and attention to taking photos, when I could be just 'being' but I love when I come home, to spend time with them, organising them into albums or books, enjoying them and the memories. My photos help me get through the 'post camino blues' and they jolt our memories in all sorts of ways.

"Thinking about the gear" . . . . the months before we leave home are often consumed with thoughts, planning and worry about the "gear", and it is an exciting time and all a valuable part of the process. Once on camino, though, we usually stop worrying about the gear so much . . . . unless . . . we've taken the wrong boots and got big blisters!! :roll:

Buen camino.
Carole

We like our worries and our grudges. They are comfortable and familiar. In the face of an unfamiliar geography, unfamiliar language, unfamiliar experience (unless you were an infantryman in a previous life), they are a comforting slice of home.

The challenge on a pilgrimage is leaving them at home. Or better yet, discarding them along the way, and not taking them home with us. Isn't it one of the benefits we're seeking? To be freed from these burdens?

I think you're on to something here.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Man has built in himself images as a fence of security -personal religious, political, etc-. These manifest as ideas, beliefs. The burden of these images dominates man's thinking, his relationships and his daily life. I think that these images are the causes of our problems. Our perception of life is shaped by the concepts already established in our minds, like the concept of been comfortable with worries and grudges, that make us feel in home, I really like the way Kitsambler put it.

Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Since I saw that there are not too many people interested in this topic at the moment, I'ill practice to reply my self, maybe is not an easy subject and thats why nobody is answering to these topic.

Think about your normal life back at home, all those comforts gone during a month or maybe more in the camino, can we react the same way in those conditions?, are we really the same there ?.

I love Karla story, (the lady who has a very bad experience in the camino, posted here), you know I love that story, beacause is the vivid example of the esence of the human predisposed mind (Im not judging her), lets face it, our thinking is controlled by some external forces, even when we think that we have a complete control of our lives....

Now think, what happens in the Camino ? some of us experience a particular change, think about all those external things, it represent burdens to us...the question is more important than the answer..

Another burden is to think about the time we got to finish the camino. How can we eliminate this burden? by having more resources? by planning more? or simply avoiding thinking about it?.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I get by that worry by planning 3 months in Europe for each Camino. Once you pay for the flight, it's no more expensive to live in Spain than it is in Oregon.

I realize I'm lucky in that way, being jobless and homeless does have its advantages :lol:

If you come to the Camino burdened with problems it's not likely that you'll find a miracle and suddenly be free of them. But the day to day business of the walk, finding a bed, washing your clothes, meeting and re-meeting the other pilgrims, and the walking, will help take your mind off them. And dwelling on problems usually makes them seem worse than they really are.
If you can come to see problems from a different perspective, then they may not look as big as you once thought. Maybe that is a sort of a minor miracle?

A fascinating thing for me as I prepare for my Camino next May is the process I am going through as I prepare spiritually, mentally and physically for it. This process is a deeply personal thing for me. I am sure it is different for everyone. We are who we are with all our strengths and flaws. For me this is the point of a pilgrimage and has been for centuries. We bring with us the "other load" because it is an integral part of us. It is exciting to anticipate what my experience of the Camino will be and how it will impact my "other load". I am sure of only one thing. I will learn a lot about myself by doing this pilgrimage and that will influence how I live the rest of my life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that some times, those burdens are not only problems we bring from home, it is our way of thinking, it is interesting how that change little by little walking the camino.

Merry Christmas to all pilgrims !!

My memories of the "Camino" come and go every day since I return from there, it is like a new burden for me, less heavy, evidently, a burden that is going to last until the day I return there, with less forces, but with the same spirit, even if I dont finish it,Im sure, there will be always another "caminos" to walk....

This and the "fear" topic are all very interesting reads.

For me, my fear is not worrying enough. Sound strange? I don't think you could even call it a fear, just a concern. I am not worried at all. I am super excited. I bet that I'll have some nerves when I first arrive in Porto and start setting out alone, but right now I'm not worried. I have cheapo equipment that I either have already or buying cheaply, using my trainers as boots, nothing is technical / wicker, professional, not taking sleeping bags, walking poles, camelbaks and all that high tekky stuff. Mainly because of the budget (nil), and I am an extremely simple person. I don't like having expensive, lots of things in my normal life anyway.

I haven't prepared much. I've been reviewing my (basic) Portuguese, which I learnt a couple years ago when I was in a relationship with a Brazilian, and I've been telling people I"m going. That's really it.

I think my lack of preparation is partly due to the fact that after my camino I'll be heading back home (to Aus) after 3 years abroad. For me, that's a long time, and a lot has happened in that time, I have changed a lot. May not seem like a long time to some, but I am 23.

I don't live my live with fear, I don't worry about things (yes, I used to), I am very independant, and just have a couple of close friends who I cherish. I need and crave adventure. I didn't even know what the Camino was last year until I was in Copenhagen in the dead of winter, and a German tourist told me about it. It struck me as the thing I wanted to do before heading home. I want to challenge myself, I want things to be difficult, I don't want things to be easy. I never have. I enjoy the beginning, journey, and end of a process, the result. Doing something that other people don't, won't, or can't do.

Onto the fear of the girl of the other post, you could just say you'll be fine, just be happy, things will work out. But I believe this wouldn't suffice for her (I hope by now she's done it). Her post really saddened me. To feel that much uncertainty about the unknown is frightening. For me, that is the essence of life. Discovering new things, new ways, new ideas, and taking steps to delve into it, learning about yourself, who you are, and what you truly love to do. Maybe she will find out she doesn't like it, so what? At least she tried, she did it. Because there are lots of other people that would just say, I'm too scared, or I can't do that, and let the possibility pass their mind, and then that's it, not even attempted.

RE the pain factor, blisters, sore knees, tiredness, dehydration. That of course can be a concern. But I think most veteran walkers on here mention that you should respond to your body. Know how your body works, know how it reacts to things, know how much water you need etc. Use common sense, don't panic at the sign of a small problem, and take it easy. Take your mobile phone, punch in some emergency numbers, but you'll probably never use them. I'm no experienced trekker, but I've dealt with blisters, leaches on my skin, dehydration, food poisoning, creepy men / flashers, creepy women, and I've been fine.

I've also dealt with speakers of other languages, getting by without English, getting myself out of sticky situations. meeting a whole myriad of awesome, weird, freaky and lovely people, dealing with having no money, no phone in developing countries and all sorts of strange things.

When you survive these things, they only make you stronger. Learn what you will on the walk, learn about yourself, about others, about life, what it means to you. Become stronger, be happy!!

I think I have been rambling, and gone a bit off topic, so I apologise, but I will keep my words as is.

Bueno Camino
Tchau.
Catherine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
catattack said:
This and the "fear" topic are all very interesting reads...

I really liked what you wrote Catherine. I liked what you said about fearing that you don't worry enough. I can relate to that. I have done preparation as far as my pack goes, but otherwise, I've done very little. I only made the decision to go about 3 weeks ago. I've sorted out travel money, got my camino passport, etc, but as far as the journey itself, I plan to just get out there and face the adventure and take it as it comes. I think researching everything to death and planning every detail would tarnish the experience for me. I haven't spent 6 months walking 10 miles a day in preparation either. My training will happen on the trail. A few people have told me I'm crazy. I'm not crazy. I just want this to be as pure an experience as possible. I don't want a highly organised itinerary. I do have some concerns about some things, but the bottom line is, no matter what happens, I will deal with it, and I will live. Having to sleep on the ground, for example, won't kill me. And you know what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I just hope that when all my inner demons come out on the journey (as I have a feeling they will), that the powers that be deem it prudent to place someone in my path for support. I'm not religious and have never gone to church, but I may need to talk to a few priests along the way.

You sound like an interesting and tough lady, Catherine. Perhaps I'll see you on the camino.

Heading out on the 13th for my journey, woohoo!

Annie

There really is nothing to "fear" on the Camino. Period.
I would agree that over planning does make the experience more like your day to day life with schedules, expectations and failures.
Planning your pack can't be overdone. Learning the basic concepts of the Camino is importand so that you can understand what is happening around you.
But, to plan each night and the distance for each day seems to take out the fun. :shock:

Make basic preparations and just go and let it happen. You will not be sorry.

For me, the Camino was the "easy" part. I suffered quite a lot of pain for about a week, due to a massive blister, but it eventually started healing. And I met some girls from South Africa who had some amazing pain pills! The toughest part of the whole thing for me was the traveling to and from. The Camino itself is basically worry-free ...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
catattack said:
This and the "fear" topic are all very interesting reads.

For me, my fear is not worrying enough. Sound strange? I don't think you could even call....

Well you could walk bare feet for a little more excitement :mrgreen: just kidding :lol: It’s so refreshing to read from such young and positive out looking person, since now days a lot of the young crowd is all "me me" and " if me don't get what me wants me gets depress" keep up the attitude I like that :lol:

Tchau i um bom caminho
Zo

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back