• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
The one by Gitlitz and Davidson
I invite comment from people who have used this book.
I don't want to be dismissive, but I am not interested in hearing anyone tell me just to walk and follow the arrows. I've done that before. This time I want to learn and am interested in using this book.
Unfortunately the book is not available in our local library (although I have requested they buy it - but not hopeful as chronological snobbery is a thing and it's older than 8 years old), so I can't peruse it and make up my own mind. Is it more of a book to read before you go or to read each night while you are walking (or both!)? That could determine whether I buy a hard copy or Kindle edition to read on my phone.
Any observations?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a superb reference book. Very highly detailed but still readable. I have a copy on my bookshelves but I would not carry it with me on a journey. Quite heavy. In any case I prefer to walk and take my chances on whatever catches my eye along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That could determine whether I buy a hard copy or Kindle edition to read on my phone. Any observations?
I have both the hardcopy book and the Kindle version. IMO, to be read each night while you are walking and also during the day when you have an interest in learning more about what you are currently standing in front of. Main focus is the medieval history of the pilgrimage way and the monuments and events connected to this period. Camino Francés only.

I have both hardcopy, which I read before I left, and Kindle, which I read each night on the Camino to prepare for the next day. It greatly enhanced the journey for me. And following their own journey was interesting, given how much the Camino has changed since then. As noted above, it's strictly about the Francés. Highly recommended if that's your route. I think you'd be fine with the Kindle version only.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kindle version of Amazon; i would prefer that as NO weight to carry!
I use assistive tech so i can listen to books i download.
All my books are audio and i relax at the end of the day listening to them as i doze off.

Woody

I have both versions, paper and Kindle. I take the latter with me when going on the Frances (haven't been on the Aragonese yet, and still consider it a variant of the Frances anyways).

It complements the other guidebooks. It says nothing about the albergues, which villages have ATMs or fountains, what turns to take where. Instead it covers history, art and culture, flora and fauna. It is a little dated in that it was written a while ago and has not been updated, but change comes slowly in the areas it covers.

It is without equal and if you are interested in its subject matter it is surely worth the investment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one by Gitlitz and Davidson
I invite comment from people who have used this book.
I don't want to be dismissive, but I am not interested in hearing anyone tell me just to walk and follow the arrows. I've done that before. This time I want to learn and am interested in using this book.
Unfortunately the book is not available in our local library (although I have requested they buy it - but not hopeful as chronological snobbery is a thing and it's older than 8 years old), so I can't peruse it and make up my own mind. Is it more of a book to read before you go or to read each night while you are walking (or both!)? That could determine whether I buy a hard copy or Kindle edition to read on my phone.
Any observations?
A company in the UK called abebooks.co.uk has them for sale.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have the pocket book version and will send it to you if you pm me your postal address.
That is very kind of you, thank you. But first, do you realise I’m in New Zealand?! I would totally understand you retracting the offer!!
And secondly, what is the pocketbook version? A Google search did not enlighten me, but it sounds like a lite version of the real deal.
Thanks to the helpful replies above I have decided to definitely buy the kindle version and casually keep an eye out for a hard copy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back