• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Race of The Pilgrims

Choweth

I keep hearing "so, when are you going to go do that race?" lol. No people, it's not a race. I don't think I could handle an 800km race. ;)

{Candace}

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi

I so agree, thats why I am doing it in two months :)

Regards,
Darren

Hehe, I get people asking when my "tour" is. "How big is the group?" "What company does it?" "Do they have their own accommodation they take your things to?" Etc.

I've told them so many times it's not a tour :roll:

I guess it's because tours are big here in Australia, they don't understand that it's not the only way to travel. Personally, I can't stand tours!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Laliibeans said:
Hehe, I get people asking when my "tour" is. "How big is the group?" "What company does it?" "Do they have their own accommodation they take your things to?" Etc.

I've told them so many times it's not a tour :roll:

I guess it's because tours are big here in Australia, they don't understand that it's not the only way to travel. Personally, I can't stand tours!

YES! I have also been asked "who are you going with?" "Is there a group?" "How many of you are going?" Every time I just smile and say "just me :D " and they say "by yourself?" :) I'm proud to be doing it alone, nervous, but excited!

{Candace}

I understand that there are people who cannot walk the Camino, but there is nothing more depressing than seeing a group of people pile off a bus and get all excited about something on the Camino.

Especially when they think they are truly experiencing the Camino. (Sorry that is too harsh but I'm not in a good place this morning. :evil: )

In 2004 an Aussie woman was in a bar talking to the people on her tour about the beautiful pilgrim stamp she had just got on her credential. She was nearly wetting herself while I wanted to throw up. (Sorry to put it so strongly, but it was not a great place to be, especially as my feet were killing me at the time).

I once challeneged such a person to quit the bus, go back to Pamplona, buy the gear and get walking. She thought I was insane.

(Well, I suppose she got that one right. :shock: )

Hahahahaha, the most frequent asked question about my Camino was: "But... were you all alone there?" It's still kind of amazement to me. But that's how it is and I don't care very much about that. I've done some "presentations" and slide shows etc., but apart of my close friends and family "only the lonely" came.

I strongly suggest you not to take much notion of that, especially when already on Camino. The it's just you and only you :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yeah, the people I've tried to explain it to seem dumbfounded that you can just go and make your own way, in whatever situation that may be in. I had the same kind of questions when I did the Overland Track last year.

I like to think their eyes are open to a few new possibilities now and maybe they'll try something on their own some day!

I have been asked what type of "support vehicle" I will have on my trip....so funny I couldn't stop laughing long enough to give an answer. :roll:

Haha! So true. It's so hard to explain sometimes. I find the hardest part is explaining the pilgrimage aspect...

Me: It's an ancient 800 km Catholic pilgrimage.
Them: Oh, you're Catholic? Is it through a church group? How many of you are going?
Me: Well, no, I'm not... and I'm going by myself...
Them: :|
Me: :roll:

Let's just say I've started calling it a trek for simplicity's sake...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
These posts help recall a memory from my first camino frances in 2004. East of Melide
near Coto I wearily rested to eat a delicious second breakfast in the patio of a chic, but friendly, casa rural. To my surprise a small van of tourists stopped and a few ‘Sunday pilgrims’ with walking sticks, but no packs, noisily exited in order to sample the trail! Spotting my pack and shell they asked “How long have you been walking?” “Forty-eight days!” I answered. Stunned they dashed to the bar and never moved on. ... Chacun a son gout!

Margaret Meredith

OK so I watched the youtube programme about Michael's birth. Inspiring and brought tears to my eyes.

When I have seen what you and your family went through I really would love to put the question to them. How could you believe that Candace would have difficulty walking the Camino when she has faced such a tough time and come through it?

If anyone doubts your ability to cope courteously stick Michael down their throat.

ps. For baptism I wear a machine washable tabard over my dry clean only cassock because as certain as the sun rises in the east at least one child a year is going to share their dinner down my chest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
OK so I watched the youtube programme about Michael's birth. Inspiring and brought tears to my eyes.

When I have seen what you and your family went through I really would love to put the question to them. How could you believe that Candace would have difficulty walking the Camino when she has faced such a tough time and come through it?

If anyone doubts your ability to cope courteously stick Michael down their throat.

ps. For baptism I wear a machine washable tabard over my dry clean only cassock because as certain as the sun rises in the east at least one child a year is going to share their dinner down my chest.

Thank you very much!! Today is actually his 3rd birthday! :)

{Candace}
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

Informing my daughter's high school principal of our Camino (the fact that I will be talking her out of school for 36 days, and her missing her June exam which will result in her average dropping from 89% to 46% (school's decision to give her 0%).... The principal's closing remark regarding our pilgrimage really was "random" (as teenagers would say)... "Enjoy the outing" .... Outing!!!!???.

snijmann said:
Informing my daughter's high school principal of our Camino (the fact that I will be talking her out of school for 36 days, and her missing her June exam which will result in her average dropping from 89% to 46% (school's decision to give her 0%).... The principal's closing remark regarding our pilgrimage really was "random" (as teenagers would say)... "Enjoy the outing" .... Outing!!!!???.

Where are you from?

{Candace}

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I saw the title and thought two possibilities:

One: the person plans to participate in the summer camino quest for a bed.

Two: the discussion is about the last 100km or so where everyone seems to picks up the pace in order to be sure to catch their flight home.

whariwharangi said:
I saw the title and thought two possibilities:

One: the person plans to participate in the summer camino quest for a bed.

Two: the discussion is about the last 100km or so where everyone seems to picks up the pace in order to be sure to catch their flight home.

Even if I was running short on time to get to my flight. I still wouldn't rush. That's part of the fun :) Sitting on standby by at the airport...I'm someone who finds more joy in the transportation than the destination ;)

{Candace}

I find it funny how everyone seems to think that because they have done or are going to do their pilgrimage that they make fun of those who have not or have not heard of it.
Come on people I sense a little bit of Camino snobery here.
Not everyone on the planet has seen the movie or heard of The Camino de Santiago.
I too have been asked many times and get enjoyment explaining what it is I will be doing in May.

Burn Camino all and look forward to seeing you along the Way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Graeme.W said:
I find it funny how everyone seems to think that because they have done or are going to do their pilgrimage that they make fun of those who have not or have not heard of it.
Not everyone on the planet has seen the movie or heard of The Camino de Santiago.
I too have been asked many times and get enjoyment explaining what it is I will be doing in May.

No, it's once you give them the idea of what you are doing they still ask questions as in a way of saying, "are you kidding me?" At least for me, in the sense, tone, and facial expressions that they are asked with they have never been true curious questions. My family thinks I am kidding, so I just laugh it off.

{Candace}

snijmann said:
Informing my daughter's high school principal of our Camino (the fact that I will be talking her out of school for 36 days, and her missing her June exam which will result in her average dropping from 89% to 46% (school's decision to give her 0%).... The principal's closing remark regarding our pilgrimage really was "random" (as teenagers would say)... "Enjoy the outing" ....

The local school here recruits me to make presentations to the students. Ignorant principal, producing ignorant students.

Informing my daughter's high school principal of our Camino (the fact that I will be talking her out of school for 36 days, and her missing her June exam which will result in her average dropping from 89% to 46% (school's decision to give her 0%).... The principal's closing remark regarding our pilgrimage really was "random" (as teenagers would say)... "Enjoy the outing"

Youngsters, like adults, blossom when doing something stupendous - which is what doing the Camino is. She will learn so much more on the walk than in the classroom. And, surely, she can pick up on the curriculum when she gets back, with your help. I agree with Newfydog, the teachers are being very unimaginative and near-sighted. This will be an experience of a lifetime.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Choweth said:
Graeme.W said:

No, it's once you give them the idea of what you are doing they still ask questions as in a way of saying, "are you kidding me?" At least for me, in the sense, tone, and facial expressions that they are asked with they have never been true curious questions. My family thinks I am kidding, so I just laugh it off.

Agreed, this is what I'm referring to as well, people who are doubting my ability to do it, etc. Just about everyone I've mentioned it to has seen the movie (it seems to have been really popular over here) or heard of it some other way, they just assume I'm not capable of doing it without a group to guide me. I had the same people saying the same things on every other hike I've been on. So, like Candace, I laugh it off, because otherwise it hurts.

So it's not "making fun" or being a "snob", the assumption and judgement are really uncalled for.

I was in SJPP, that last morning. I'd walked the last of the Le Puy route the previous day, and I attended the morning Mass. With my pack, hat, and walking attire, I was waiting on a park bench not far from the Pilgrim Office for the restaurants to open for lunch. A group came by, with an English-speaking guide, who was busily explaining the medieval pilgrimage. I knew I was in for it. So I took it as an educational opportunity. Most of these people were Americans. I told them my tale, let them try on my pack (only the women were interested), and gave them my blog address. Who knows - now that they have had their eyes opened, maybe they will hear the Call?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am planning to walk the Camino next year in celebration of my 40th birthday. One of my best friends whom I love more than I could ever express, when I told her what I was planning, she just shook her head and said: "Why can't you just spend a week in the Caribbean drinking daqueris like a normal person?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I absolutely loved her response. She doesn't doubt my ability to do the walk - just my sanity in chosing to do this.

Most people that I have told about my plans think that it is either very interesting or a little on the strange side - or some of both. If anybody doubts my abilities, they haven't said anything. I am very fortunate to have a lot of very supportive people in my life though who are open minded and love it when people do the unexpected. I also know quite a few people who have hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, which in comparisson to that, walking the Camino is a stroll in the park.

Apparently I have strange friends and colleagues and acquaintances 8)

Everybody I tell about my plans to walk the Camino is reacting in a positive way: "Great!", "I have always wanted to do that myself", "Tell me more about it" ... and so on ...

They advise me how to pack my rucksack, how take care of my feet, how to heal my blisters, what shoes to wear.

Nobody yet has doubted my ability to get to Santiago. And I am definitely not the most sportive person on this planet.

Graeme.W said:

I have to agree with you. The posts here seem a little snobbish. I assume that noboby means it in that way.

For me it doesn't matter if you do YOUR camino by foot, on a bike or horse, by bus or in a wheelchair. I met them all. It doesnt matter If you do it for a week, a month or even two months. It's your camino. I did my first camino in 2009 from St Jean to Sahagun. At one point I met a busgroup. I walked with them for about 1 km. Lovely people, doing their camino. In the end they won't get their credential, but they did their camino and thats whats important.

In 2010 I walked from Sahagun to Santiago, also in 2010 from st jean again to Sahagun, in 2011 from sevilla to Merida and in 2012 from st jean to pamplona. This year I hope to do the Frances from st jean to santiago... In 21 days. It's going to be a different Camino, but I know I will share it with lovely pilgrims even the ones who do it by bus.

As with the people who don't understand why walking a pilgramige can be the most exciting experience. Just share yoour stories with them. IThey will understand and one day maybe do it themself...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Graeme.W said:
Well, I'm a tad late in chiming in here, but if you mean "everyone" on this forum, I think you are mistaken. I have yet to see much "snobery" (sic) on here, whereas, as I'm sure you've discovered already, there is a lot of experience and advice sharing, which is what it's all about.

People will always read into something whatever they want to read into it. I was hoping that the Camino would be a place to get away from all of those types of attitudes, but I guess not.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Laliibeans said:
People will always read into something whatever they want to read into it. I was hoping that the Camino would be a place to get away from all of those types of attitudes, but I guess not.
I think the camino itself is fine - you will get the normal mix of good and bad, as everywhere.
This forum does sometimes get a bit overheated (says me....lol) - but don't think it will be like this en-route. For starters, the posters on here are a TINY minority of pilgrims - on my 2 stages of the Frances, and the Ingles and Madrid, I never met anyone who'd even heard of this forum, let alone posted on it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sojourner47 said:
Laliibeans said:
I think the camino itself is fine - you will get the normal mix of good and bad, as everywhere.
This forum does sometimes get a bit overheated (says me....lol) - but don't think it will be like this en-route. For starters, the posters on here are a TINY minority of pilgrims - on my 2 stages of the Frances, and the Ingles and Madrid, I never met anyone who'd even heard of this forum, let alone posted on it.

This was true for me as well. I only came across one who had heard of the forum. I will have the forum badge on my pack for the next camino though, and hope to meet a few more users:)

I guess it's just the anonymity of the internet. Hopefully I'll have the same experiences as the two of you when meeting people in person on the Camino :)

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back