• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Race → Astorga to SdC early April

everywherewalk

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hi all. I am thinking of starting walking from Astorga to SdC around April 3-4. How bad do you think could be a bed race? I would rather prefer to do Camino France, but if the bed race is a problem in the first half of April, I would then instead start from Porto.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am concerned as Easter is on March 31st... just a week before me.
While obviously somewhat putting a damper on spontaneity please keep in mind that you can always book ahead 1-2 nights while walking as an option if worry too much 😄
Ah that's good to know! Making plan 1-2 days in advance is not too bad

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A whole week (7 days) BEFORE you.
Any "crowds" pertaining to Easter will surely dissipate by then.

Re:reservations ahead - use WhatsApp and contact albergue directly for best results

Hi all. I am thinking of starting walking from Astorga to SdC around April 3-4. How bad do you think could be a bed race? I would rather prefer to do Camino France, but if the bed race is a problem in the first half of April, I would then instead start from Porto.
I do not think it will be an issue. Early Spring is a good time to walk.

That said, if there are crowds or some Allergies have not yet opened, unlikely, you can always jump to the Invierno at Ponferrada.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While obviously somewhat putting a damper on spontaneity please keep in mind that you can always book ahead 1-2 nights while walking as an option if worry too much 😄
Bear in mind that you cannot book Donativos ahead if you are thinking of using albergues that is.

B
Hi all. I am thinking of starting walking from Astorga to SdC around April 3-4. How bad do you think could be a bed race? I would rather prefer to do Camino France, but if the bed race is a problem in the first half of April, I would then instead start from P

I'm a proud winner of the daily bed race. Started my mornings at the break of dawn because most everyone else was already up and gone. Had my first coffee with leche at first open bar. Had my second breakfast an hour or so later. Light lunch around noon. Planned on calling it a day around 2:30. Checked in to the next available Alburge at around that time. Left plenty of time to shower, wash clothes, and hang out with others until dinner. Never felt rushed. But I did feel like winner.

I know that in several places on the Camino there are days where they run with bulls in the city or village streets, but I'm not aware of any places where they race beds. So, you can walk in comfort knowing that you won't have to dodge any wheeled beds.

Oh... you meant racing towards beds. That won't be an issue either.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Also, I'm not sure that the bed race will be significantly different on the Porto-Santiago route than on the Astorga-Santiago route. For both routes, my guess is that the Easter rush will be over and all accommodation will be open for the season, so it will be fine. Wait and see what the situation is like and then book a day or two in advance if it seems wise.

Um...the OP can't pre-book municipal or Xunta albergues. There are private donativo albergues that take reservations.

That being said, April shouldn't be a problem. Semana Santa is the week *before* Easter, and as has been noted, Easter is March 31st this year.

Honestly, April is nowhere near peak season for Camino. You'll likely be fine winging it. But if that's too nerve wracking, go a day in advance.

You’ll be lucky if you have anyone to share the albergue with…there is NO bed race the beginning of April or most if the year for that matter. While there are occasionally completo days, it’s hardly the entire route and every day. It’s more of the fears of pilgrims manifesting itself into near reality based on booking.com not showing any availability even though empty beds still exist. And even if a village is full, there is likely a place to sleep within a mile or two.

Don’t buy into the hype, but more importantly, don’t FEED it either!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know that in several places on the Camino there are days where they run with bulls in the city or village streets, but I'm not aware of any places where they race beds. So, you can walk in comfort knowing that you won't have to dodge any wheeled beds.

Oh... you meant racing towards beds. That won't be an issue either.
What a wonderful idea for a new event! Personally I'd back any team of Hospital Orderlies - almost guaranteed to win.....

Not exactly a new event. Bed races have been going on around the world for decades. Just google "bed race".
Oh my goodness, bed races have been around almost as long as I have! Knaresborough (UK) 1966. Wow 😲. I have been seriously missing out!

I've now got visions of those along the Meseta ....

€46,-
What a wonderful idea for a new event! Personally I'd back any team of Hospital Orderlies - almost guaranteed to win.....
This brought back memories of when I was a student nurse in Auckland, NZ - we raced old hospital beds down the hill of the main street (Queen Street) in an inter hospital team event🤣

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.