• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The rain in Spain

george.g

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Hi from a very wet Norte.
If I was packing to come to Spain I might be tempted to include a set of gaiters, the weather for the last week or so has been pretty bad and the tracks are very muddy. In fact the guy in the shop at the corner told me that there has only been 5 days of sun this year ??
Regards
George.g

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh boy, rain all day everyday? I hope not. Thanks for the heads up!
Bobbie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We found Great weather in England for the south downs trail, ok weather in northern France which deteriorated. By Reims the trails were mud, and the forecast nine days of rain in the next ten. We rented a car, bought some local champagne and retreated to Provence! We are now sipping champagne in the sun, planning on finishing the french Francigena some other time. We rode some of the via Aurelian yesterday and were pleased to see freshly painted yellow shells marking the route.

The first really nasty unbikable conditions we have seen in all our trips.

I have also been watching the weather in Spain but haven't been as to find a site looking at weather along the coastal. route. what I've seen is rain almost every day for the past 3 weeks. how does the forecast look ahead?
leave tomorrow and will be starting my trek the 29th

Yes it has been bad, rain and mud or slippy stones. Today only some showers and some spots of blue sky. Broadcast for tomorrow says more rain, a little sun on Sunday and then rain again. I have met people that leave the camino and go home. Gaiters is a must. I have used raintrousers nearly everyday even if it did not rain because of the low temperature. Here on the Norte it is a pity to walk past all these beautiful beaches.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well I won't go home but if totally miserable I would consider another Camino if no other plan seems reasonable :) saying a few prayers for a little better weather.

All the best to you and I admire you fr staying on the Norte given the dreadful weather.
Bobbie

I am in transit via Istanbul, and will arrive to start my Camino on 28 may, I will try to bring som of the weather from turkey, I am sure they won't miss it. Blankets have not been required for the past few days

Brierly describes the final kilometers into Zubiri on the CF as very slippery when wet. Did it yesterday and I would describe it as beyond slippery, into treacherous and dangerous. Hiking poles a must, as are vibram soles, imho.
Kathy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm depressed today, wondering how long this rain can last? Two years in a row is making me gunshy for next year. Maybe ill rent an RV and explore my own country! In the meantime, I need to find an inexpensive sunny place to wait out this crappy weather. I guess I can bus the Camino until the weather turns.

Hi Annie,
Is the weather along the Norte expected to continue to rain for the next few weeks? I start around the 31st of this month.

Like I mentioned yesterday I am willing to change to another Camino if needed but I sure will be disappointed.

Thanks!
Bobbie

Hi Annie and Bobbie
I am in the airport waiting for flight to Madrid. am starting the north trek may 29 from San Sebastián. it's been 2 years in the works and is hate to change plans now. if the weather does appear to look rainy for another 2-3 weeks I may also need to consider other options.
keep me updated please .
Bobbie- whatever trail we end up on, I hope to meet you in person

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The weather has improved over the last couple of days so fingers crossed.
Here's a tip if you don't want to stay in Santander, pick up a flyer for Cafe Nimon in Santa Cruz Del Bezana 15e breakfast included in a very nice new apartment
Regards
George.get

Hi Jude,

I fly out of US on the 28 and arrive Madrid on the 29th but will stay the night in Madrid or Burgos as connecting buses and trains would not get me into Irun until after dark. Next day onward to Irun. I will let u know if I stay on the Norte and I also hope we meet!

Tell me why you are starting in San Sebastián instead of Irun? They say it is the best day but very difficult.

Safe travels!

Thanks,
Bobbie

Hi George,

Thanks for the hoe of better weather and the tip on lodging. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Buen Camino,

Bobbie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Anniesantiago said:
I'm depressed today, wondering how long this rain can last? .

Wow, rain that even gets a Portlandia down:). Keep the faith, it can only get better!

It is indeed sunny in the south of France, but windy and expensive. Dry trails though.

Well, it did get sunny this afternoon. I think a good plan might be to book ahead and leave later in the morning. I'm not sure about weather on the Norte, sorry. I'm on the Frances in Logrono. But it can only get better. I mean, it is almost June, right????

Hola!
Greetings from camino de Madrid!
Am surprised to hear its raining so much up north. We have now had six days of sunshine down here:)
Mr Canuck and I enjoyed a good 32 km walk today and it was so hot we almost suffered from sunstroke. Phew. We are now sipping wine in the sunshine.
Skål! 8)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Annie, I've beed reading your posts and I have been praying for the sun to shine on you. You are right things can only get better it is almost June. By the time you finish you will be dancing barefoot, hopefully not in the rain!

Skål hej. Here in Lorca we have had rain and sun. It was awful in the Pyrenees, but getting now better as I progress westwards..
Am in lovely private albergue, highly recommended. Two weeks plus under my belt, and another 4 plus to go.......

Karin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anniesantiago said:
Are you still barefoot?
I'm jealous!
Enjoy that sun!

32 k is a long stretch.
You Swedish women are strong as heck!

32 km? Bah! Still just warming up! Did 40-50 most days at vdlp, in pouring rain.
Swedish steel you know. 8)
Of course I'm still barefoot. Socks in sandals ? Nah...
Ok now we are drinking beer so better stop now.
Cheers

Thanks Jack!
Karin, you will probably pass me up. I feel like I'm getting a sore throat. If I am not better tomorrow morning, I will stay another night or two in a private room here in Logrono.

Don't want to give it to others ...

I hope the new pilgrim store in Pamplona hasn't been tempted to sell the Altus poncho which I ordered from him almost 1 month ago;)

On the plus side I may get to see the reservoir at Portamarin full or near capacity, in the past it has only been a river flowing in the canyon below the bridge.

€60,-
My heart is sinking reading this post :( we are leaving tomorrow from Australia for our Camino and hope to start our walk 29 or 1st of June we are leaving winter behind us in hope of some European summer and I cannot afford to add any more to my back pack. C'est La Vie ..

Frankieg,

Looking at the forecasts for most major towns/cities along the Camino France's you won't have any acclimatisation issues, their start of summer is almost identical to the SE Australia start of winter. It has been strange cold and wet weather for almost all of May, this can't last forever? I am expecting it to turn around in June, and if not I've prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Frank

Very sunny today from Logrono to Najera. Not a cloud in the sky. Looks like it's the same for tomorrow.

€60,-
Well. I am in Navarette today and it is indeed a beautiful day. However, the forcast is for rain the next three days. Lets hope they are wrong! But it is clouding over darkly as we speak.

Thank you John. Are you walking the Camino now?
Frankieg

ffp13 said:
Frankieg,

Looking at the forecasts for most major towns/cities along the Camino France's you won't have any acclimatisation issues, their start of summer is almost identical to the SE Australia start of winter. It has been strange cold and wet weather for almost all of May, this can't last forever? I am expecting it to turn around in June, and if not I've prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Frank

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm in Estella and it was beautiful all day from Puenta La Reina. I went to get some food at a bar and when I came out it had completely clouded over. It's been sprinkling for an hour.
The Weather Channel website has it raining through Thursday with thunder and lightning tomorrow morning.
Might be a short walking day tomorrow or if it is lightning I might just hole up here.

Urgh...I walked from Najera to Santo Domingo and it rained from start to finish. The path was unpassable in some areas from Azofra to Ciruena. Just a heads up.

A friend of mine who's a meteorologist at the airport just told me, that the weather situation on Pyrennean Peninsula is really "funny". In general: every place that's on Camino Frances or north of it will have clouds, showers and low temperatures (for late May) with only occasional sunny pockets in between for next few days. By June weather should get better or (since there's no bad/good weather, it's just the weather :D ) at least sunnier and a bit warmer - about 20 degrees centigrade. On the south side of Camino Frances (Barcelona, Sevilla, Zamora, Zaragoza, Merida, Salamanca, Madrid, Porto etc), on southern Caminos, there's already nicer weather.

Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From San Vicente Due La Barquera
More rain forecast for the next week. Looks like the rain in Spain falls mainly on pilgrims.
Re the rail or road delema after Boo, the locals do nip across the railway bridge, and I'm afraid we did the same.
Regards
George. g

I have been across it twice 1st time on a train and the 2nd time I saw someone fishing from the middle of it so i joined them.

From Pendules
If you stay in San Vicente Due La Barquera, there is a very nice small alberge in Pendueles, its not in the Cicerone guide, just follow the road onto town and fork left after a bar, donativo with dinner and breakfast plus Wifi Albergue Aves Due Paso. But d'ont forget all you tightwads out there donativo isn't Spanish for free, and yes I've seen them.
Regards
George. G

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
in San Sebastián. a beautiful old, clean city on a turquoise beach. morning was cold and rainy but it has cleared to blue skies and sun! very chilly though- in the 50's.
spent day here and leave tomorrow
have the café con leche!

How exciting for you! Amen to the sunshine and Cafe con Leche!

Buen Camino,
Bobbie

Ps: lead the charge and I will be about 3 days behind u. :)

Bobbie

george.g said:
From Pendules
If you stay in San Vicente Due La Barquera, there is a very nice small alberge in Pendueles, its not in the Cicerone guide, just follow the road onto town and fork left after a bar, donativo with dinner and breakfast plus Wifi Albergue Aves Due Paso. But d'ont forget all you tightwads out there donativo isn't Spanish for free, and yes I've seen them.
Regards
George. G
We were staying in the habitaciones at the bar, but went down to see the new albergue. It is lovely and we were very impressed. The owner is a friend of Alejandro from Bodenaya (Camino Primitivo). Hopefully this albergue will prove as popular as Bodenaya, and folk will be generous with their donations.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.