• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any foodies in the house?

TheLaw14

Time of past OR future Camino
1st Camino- del Norte, September 18, 2023
I'll be starting the Norte in a week and a half, and I have noticed that in a forum search for food, there is not a lot of info specific to the topic for any of the routes. I thought that was odd, as one of the reasons I chose the Norte was for the pintxos and fresh seafood experience I have read about in numerous travel magazines, as well as all the other regional specialties. Is there any interest in regular posts re: food experiences, cost for better than pilgrim menus, etc along the way? While I wont be dressed for Michelin starred restaurants, a focal point of my non-walking time will be experiencing local cuisine, and would be happy to share if anybody else has interest...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You don't generally walk a Camino for the food :rolleyes:
(Meaning.......The food is not generally a major highlight of walking a Camino) 🙂

Whilst I would not call myself a 'foodie' I like good quality food and a broad range of cuisines.
We are a bit spoiled in that regard living in Australia.

Remember that whilst walking a Camino, many areas that you pass through are not tourist areas.
Though I think parts of the Norte are, but I haven't walked that route.

On most of the routes you are walking through rural areas, small towns and villages.
So in 'general' the food on offer reflects that.
It's not fancy. But generally OK.
And it's provided to meet a certain 'budget' for the local 'market' Be that locals or Pilgrims.

You will still come across nice food and interesting local dishes of course.
So always be on the lookout for something new to try.

Last edited:
I’m not a foodie but I like yummy food 😍 If you opt for the Menu del Dia rather than the Pilgrims menu you’ll have the opportunity to try more local cuisine.

If you are starting the Norte in Irun, you may want to add a day to visit Hondarribia, just a few kms separate the two - an easy walk or bus ride. It’s a beautiful town known for its gastronomy. We’ve been there as pilgrims and holiday makers. As well as traditional tapas bars, some of the gastro bars are really something.

In fact you can begin the Norte from Hondarribia - it’s waymarked and joins the path from Irun within first kilometre or two. But it’s a more expensive place to stay and no albergue 😎

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm a little bit of a foodie... :) We went to - and loved - the following places while recuperating from injuries on the Camino Frances. The Norte awaits one day, and these are all places we would revisit in a heartbeat (while eager to try more)!

La Cuchera de San Telmo, San Sebastian
veal cheek; wild mushroom risotto; suckling pig; scallop wrapped in jamon iberico; pan-seared foie gras

Elkano, Getaria
Hake throat (kokotxas) prepared three ways - fried, grilled, and grilled in herbed butter sauce
An entire turbot (rodaballo parrilla) grilled over oak
Bottle of txakoli (Txomin Etxaniz)

El Globo, Bilbao
Great variety, super friendly, mostly local

Thanks lalaone... I will definitely be checking out the restaurants on your list... I have a list of pintxos bars to try in San Sebastien... I've given myself the better part of a day to make it through all of them!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks lalaone... I will definitely be checking out the restaurants on your list... I have a list of pintxos bars to try in San Sebastien... I've given myself the better part of a day to make it through all of them!

I happily admit that I try to find some good restaurants when on a Camino.
I do not consider myself a foodie but that is because here foodie also means being a bit of a foodsnob which I hope I am not. But I enjoy local ingredients and the fact how younger chefs can use them and give a twist making the Spanish cuisine modern but with full respect to tradition .
I also love those typical restaurants, often attached to a petrolstation, where locals go for a hearty menu del dia.
Aside from my first Camino in 2011, I never choose a menu del peregrino again but opted for the somewhat more pricey ( two or three € more ) menu del dia.
Btw always follow the locals when going to a resto.

@TheLaw14 : the Norte together with the Vasco has the most Michelin rated restaurants of all of Spain.
Some of the " vaut le détour" ones serve a menu del dia that is as expensive /cheap as a mediocre steak /frites with some beers here in a Belgian brasserie.

So to answer your question : yes I love talking about restos and food on a Camino.
If you search for my recent posts on the Inglés you can find some tips for that region.
I also am lucky enough to live close to France, Italy and Spain so I did lots of " normal " travels through these countries and Spain is the only country IMO to think out of the box in their cuisine. But that is of course a very subjective feeling.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having being lucky enough to have done countless road trips around the beautiful costa verde I would suggest that you will struggle to find bad food, and it is often the smallest or least likely looking out of the way places that will surprise you - so don't discount anything that doesn't appear on the tinternet. It is simply some of the most stunning coastline perfectly complimented by it's food and people.
As always, follow the locals.

The website doesn't even showa menu (that I could find)
A clear sign they don't even need to advertise! :)
Hardly, I don't think they have a fixed menu. It is what ever Juan Mari and his daughter Elena come up for the menu del dia. I have only been there twice and both times it was day trip from Biarritz after getting a much coveted reservation months in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oooh, enjoy!! The Norte is the best camino for food, IMHO. You can't go wrong in San Sebastian and Bilbao. I know there are a lot of recs above, but if you forget to write 'em down or can't find 'em or there's a lineup, you can walk into any decent-looking place in the main square(s) and find some of the best, most imaginative pintxos ever! No need to dress up and hit a Michelin restaurant (although why the heck not, if you can). I branched off to the Primitivo, so I didn't hit Gijon, but everyone was telling me that it is also a spectacular food city. Have a blast!!!

Oooh, enjoy!! The Norte is the best camino for food, IMHO. You can't go wrong in San Sebastian and Bilbao. I know there are a lot of recs above, but if you forget to write 'em down or can't find 'em or there's a lineup, you can walk into any decent-looking place in the main square(s) and find some of the best, most imaginative pintxos ever! No need to dress up and hit a Michelin restaurant (although why the heck not, if you can). I branched off to the Primitivo, so I didn't hit Gijon, but everyone was telling me that it is also a spectacular food city. Have a blast!!!

Indeed!
Though I must say I did not dress up last week when we visited Casa Marcelo in Santiago. Did buy myself a clean white T shirt at Zara though... :)
Most other diners wore casual too, only the manager front of the house wore a sharp suit.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
While I wont be dressed for Michelin starred restaurants, a focal point of my non-walking time will

What exactly are you wearing? I have never been refused service for lunch at a Michelin starred restaurant while on the Camino.

I regularly use ViaMicheli.com in my travels to find a good restaurant.

What exactly are you wearing? I have never been refused service for lunch at a Michelin starred restaurant while on the Camino.

I regularly use ViaMicheli.com in my travels to find a good restaurant.
Geez, I hope I didnt come off as a food snob... While I have had the good fortune to attend some of the best restaurants in the world, my guiding light on a trip like this is the 'Mom and Pop' resto/bars that serve honest meals, with recipes that have been often handed down over generations. Having grown up in the (higher end) restaurant business, I do take pleasure in dressing up for a nice dinner... and while I appreciate that society as a whole has become more casual, especially after Covid, I personally feel that many restaurants, inc. Michelin starred and Mom and Pop shops alike, deserve enough respect for the time they put into their craft for me to put on a clean shirt and not smell like I just walked 25kms before sitting in their dining room! Those dinners will be the proverbial 'carrot' for me when I'm at 20km and ready to call it quits!... lol...

I had a gorgeous dessert in Bilbao but I can't remember the name of the restaurant lol. But, if you see Filloas carmelizado on the menu, get them! Basque crepes filled with custard, with caramelized sugar and cream sauce. Delicious!

Attachments

• 245788452_10157963053887117_2523725713848288431_n.jpg
    245788452_10157963053887117_2523725713848288431_n.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 11
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I walked the Norte in June and July of this year. We had some fantastic meals all along the way.

In Llanes, we had the most amazing blue cheese called Cabrales. We searched for it for the rest of the trip, finding it a few more times. Also, in Llanes there was a market (can’t remember what day of the week) with vendors selling beautiful cheeses, bread, fruit, vegetables…

I also really enjoyed the anchovies (anchoas) from Santoña. Look for them in any of the tapas / pinxos places.

I second the recommendation to visit Hondarribia. It was one of my favorite places. We stayed in a small hotel in the old part of town. Oh, that might have been the first place I ate the Anchoas de Santoña! No wonder I have such fond memories of the place!

Buen Camino!

I'll be starting the Norte in a week and a half, and I have noticed that in a forum search for food, there is not a lot of info specific to the topic for any of the routes. I thought that was odd, as one of the reasons I chose the Norte was for the pintxos and fresh seafood experience I have read about in numerous travel magazines, as well as all the other regional specialties. Is there any interest in regular posts re: food experiences, cost for better than pilgrim menus, etc along the way? While I wont be dressed for Michelin starred restaurants, a focal point of my non-walking time will be experiencing local cuisine, and would be happy to share if anybody else has interest...
The food in Basque Country is amazing. You are on the coast so the seafood is incredibly fresh! In Irun our first night before our start, we stumbled upon a restaurant with an outdoor deck that looked inviting and this was a beautifully arranged Spanish catfish! Yes, catfish! And yes pintxos - for mid-morning pick me ups find the little cafes with neighborhood older ladies sitting outside - the bread, meats, and pickled peppers were amazing! We were clearly pilgrims with our overly strappy backpacks and poles but they didn't mind. The split fish was menu del dia late lunch in San Sebastian -- no need for Michelin stars - we just followed some young local couples who were all dressed up and figured they must have researched everything. And the cava is always refreshing after a long day of walking! If you have a foodie budget, you won't be disappointed. the little cockles were an end-of-day-caught-in-a-rainstorm where we ran into what turned out to be a local bar. They were delicious! That happened over and over.
Buen Camino!

IMG_0436.JPGIMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband and I walked the Norte in June and July of this year. We had some fantastic meals all along the way.

In Llanes, we had the most amazing blue cheese called Cabrales. We searched for it for the rest of the trip, finding it a few more times. Also, in Llanes there was a market (can’t remember what day of the week) with vendors selling beautiful cheeses, bread, fruit, vegetables…

I also really enjoyed the anchovies (anchoas) from Santoña. Look for them in any of the tapas / pinxos places.

I second the recommendation to visit Hondarribia. It was one of my favorite places. We stayed in a small hotel in the old part of town. Oh, that might have been the first place I ate the Anchoas de Santoña! No wonder I have such fond memories of the place!

Buen Camino!
yes on the anchovies! I'm back in NY reviewing my pictures to respond to your query -- these all from last September...I would love to go back in a heartbeat! 1694309718992.png

Buen Camino!
If you ever get the chance to go to where they make Cabrales don't miss it. I think they even do cheese tours, and that particular cheese is matured in caves in the Picos de Europa mountain range which is one of the most beautiful places in Spain and probably earth, often referred to as the Spanish Dolomites.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The food in Basque Country is amazing. You are on the coast so the seafood is incredibly fresh! In Irun our first night before our start, we stumbled upon a restaurant with an outdoor deck that looked inviting and this was a beautifully arranged Spanish catfish! Yes, catfish! And yes pintxos - for mid-morning pick me ups find the little cafes with neighborhood older ladies sitting outside - the bread, meats, and pickled peppers were amazing! We were clearly pilgrims with our overly strappy backpacks and poles but they didn't mind. The split fish was menu del dia late lunch in San Sebastian -- no need for Michelin stars - we just followed some young local couples who were all dressed up and figured they must have researched everything. And the cava is always refreshing after a long day of walking! If you have a foodie budget, you won't be disappointed. the little cockles were an end-of-day-caught-in-a-rainstorm where we ran into what turned out to be a local bar. They were delicious! That happened over and over.
Buen Camino!

View attachment 156077View attachment 156079
View attachment 156076
And the cava is always refreshing after a long day of walking!
And of course don't forget to try the Basque Txakoli!

If you ever get the chance to go to where they make Cabrales don't miss it. I think they even do cheese tours, and that particular cheese is matured in caves in the Picos de Europa mountain range which is one of the most beautiful places in Spain and probably earth, often referred to as the Spanish Dolomites.
Oh, I would love to go there!! Maybe it’s time to start planning our next trip to Spain!

I'm a bit of a foodie--a vegetarian foodie. Most folks who mention the culinary delights they've discovered during their caminos don't think of looking for non-meat/non-fish on the menu, so don't pass on such info. When you have the thought, some of us would appreciate hearing about vegetarian fare you see on a menu, even if you didn't sample it. And throw in any sighting of good chocolate while you are at it, please!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @TheLaw14 - I, for one, would love any posts you can find the time to share about food along the Norte as you walk - thank you! I can second the recommendation of Elkano in Getaria, truly a great restaurant. They fish their own turbot and keep it live in tanks under the restaurant. In San Sebastian, I really love Ganbara, especially in mushroom season. Also in San Sebastian, Bar Nestor for tortilla and huge, excellent steaks, Txepetxa for anchovies, La Vina for the famous cheesecake. I'm writing a food guide to the Camino and have recently started an Instagram that may be of interest, @ahungrypilgrim. It's focused more on the Frances, Portugues, Primitivo and Finisterre for now, but may be of use to you as you get farther west. Please don't hesitate to reach out for recs in Galicia, particularly in Santiago de Compostela where I live a lot of the time!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.