• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Renfe Rail strike

Julie H

Time of past OR future Camino
September/October 2015
I just received notification about the coming rail strike September 11, 14 & 15. I was booked to be travelling from Barcelona to Pamplona on the 15th and this may now be disrupted. Can anyone advise me what other way there is to get to Pamplona and then to St Jean. I plan to start walking on the 16th, and have made a reservation at Orisson that night. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bus-services: ALSA (https://www.alsa.es/en/), Monbus (http://www.monbus.cat/en/)
Flight: Unfortunately, Vueling has ceased to serve Pamplona and Iberia etc all fly BCN via MAD, just as long as the bus-ride and expensive.
Car-share: www.blablacar.es (Cheap if you can match timing, and you should speak at least some Spanish)
Car-Rental: make sense especially when you are several people.

Bonne chance
Many thanks PANO, I will investigate all of the above. The adventure begins.......Just a bit earlier than planned :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
For anyone concerned. Legislation requires a large percentage of trains run during a rail strike. Simply look to the schedules. If your journey is scheduled, it runs. The indication on the RENFE site, if not running in the circumstances, is 'Tren no circula' or similar.

For anyone concerned. Legislation requires a large percentage of trains run during a rail strike. Simply look to the schedules. If your journey is scheduled, it runs. The indication on the RENFE site, if not running in the circumstances, is 'Tren no circula' or similar.
Thank you for this clarification! We are planning a train trip on the 15th, and it is scheduled, so I wasn't sure how that would work.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good to know..tx

Good news for any one concerned I just got confirmation that the Renfe rail strike was called off as if Sept. 11. All good for rail travel again. I made alternate bus travel arrangements thanks to PANO's advice. And fly out tomorrow will be on the trail September 16, and am totally beside myself with excitement now...my bags are packed and I'm ready to go.....:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would suggest anyone traveling in Western Europe to plan an extra day or two just in case of rail or bus strike, which can happen at any time.
Sometimes, you can team up with others and hire a taxi to get you to your destination.
But it's a lot more fun to just be flexible.

I just received notification about the coming rail strike September 11, 14 & 15. I was booked to be travelling from Barcelona to Pamplona on the 15th and this may now be disrupted. Can anyone advise me what other way there is to get to Pamplona and then to St Jean. I plan to start walking on the 16th, and have made a reservation at Orisson that night. Many thanks for any suggestions.
Hi
We are also taking train from Barcelona to Pamplona that day. What time is your trip?
How are you getting from Pamplona to SJDP?
How did you make train reservations?
Thanks
Diana

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Also, Barcelona is a spectacular place to visit.
LOTS to see there!
You could just hang out there a few days until the strike has passed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
We are also taking train from Barcelona to Pamplona that day. What time is your trip?
How are you getting from Pamplona to SJDP?
How did you make train reservations?
Thanks
Diana
Hi Diana, As it turned out I ended up booking a bus from Barcelona to Pamplona then on to SJPDP, (it connected beautifully,) as I was worried that the strike would make a mess of my reservation in Orisson on the night of the 16th. The options to SJPDP (from Pamplona) are the bus, service runs up to 5:30pm, and after that, a taxi, if you need to get there fast, but this is a bit pricey. Look back in this thread for PANO's advice on the bus. I used the ALSA bus company and was able to get seats easy. They say the rail strike is cancelled now, so it's still possible to book a train. (My original ticket was booked through LOCO.) Hope we can meet up somewhere that day. I will have both feet on the ground and be standing up right..... :)

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back