• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The route from SJPP when it's wet

Firemangary

Time of past OR future Camino
Have: (8/16 - 9/16) Pontferra - Santiago
Plan (6/24 - 7/8)
My wife and I are walking the Way beginning June 26 from SJPP and it looks like it might be wet. From those with experience in these conditions, is the trail hazardous and slippery? Or am I just over thinking this? Any advice is welcomed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I are walking the Way beginning June 26 from SJPP and it looks like it might be wet. From those with experience in these conditions, is the trail hazardous and slippery? Or am I just over thinking this? Any advice is welcomed.

We walked the Route Napoleon in constant rain, mist and wind (I had a 102º fever) and didn’t have any trouble underfoot. When you’re on the way down, take the road (to the right) in preference to slip-sliding down through the trees. It takes a bit longer but it’s gentler and, for us, the mist lifted and we walked in the sun ... at last :)

We walked the Route Napoleon in constant rain, mist and wind (I had a 102º fever) and didn’t have any trouble underfoot. When you’re on the way down, take the road (to the right) in preference to slip-sliding down through the trees. It takes a bit longer but it’s gentler and, for us, the mist lifted and we walked in the sun ... at last :)
Thank you - I feel a little bit better...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you - I feel a little bit better...

There are a few other places, further along the CF, that can be hazardous in the wet. The grip afforded you by your footwear will be important and poles (with rubber tips for roadwalking :) ) will be very, very helpful.

You could also try searching (top right of the page) for key words, such as mud, slippery underfoot etc. There are many, many posts here to help you .... and many, many experienced fellow pilgrims who can offer you advice.

Buen Camino :)

I am assuming you are walking the Napoleon route from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles, or is your question concerning the entire Frances route?
If your question is in regards to the Napoleon route from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles, a great deal of that route is on surfaces like blacktop or concrete roads and even semi-improved sections of stones and gravel I believe. Anyway, do not take my word for it, there is a good video on this forum somewhere of the walk from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles. It is a short video as it is time lapse. Watch it and you will see that there is not much slipperiness on the Napoleon. The only section that can be muddy after rains is a wooded section just before you reach Roncesvalles. The bloody bicycle pilgrims have rutted it up so bad, and keep making the muddy section larger by going around the mucked up areas even more. I found that to be the only nasty section, and only when it has been raining, or rained recently. Nonetheless it is a short piece of the whole.
If your question is in regards to the entire Frances route, it is impossible to answer due to so many variables that are not predictable.

There are a few other places, further along the CF, that can be hazardous in the wet. The grip afforded you by your footwear will be important and poles (with rubber tips for roadwalking :) ) will be very, very helpful.

You could also try searching (top right of the page) for key words, such as mud, slippery underfoot etc. There are many, many posts here to help you .... and many, many experienced fellow pilgrims who can offer you advice.

Buen Camino :)
Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All of the above advice is going to be of great help. I would also add that the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP will give you the latest information as to route hazards and recommendations. Their advice is follow-worthy :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Did it last week in the rain; ok going up but bad going down; lots of deep mud; take the option to go down to R. We missed it. It took us 10.5 hrs total and we are in excellent health and shape.

If taking the alternative route down study the photo carefully on the instructions that the pilgrim’s office in SJPP hand out. Following the arrows takes you the steep and slippery way

When you arrive to SJPP you have to go To the pilgrims office 39 rue de la Citadelle for the last advices

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As everyone says, the vast majority of the day is uphill on easy paved roads, and a bit of offroad but very manageable paths. It's the downhill that will really challenge you. It comes after a long day, your first day, and it's pretty steep. The hardest part is that you are so tired and SO ready to be in Roncesvalles. If those stones through the forest are wet, they're extra slippery and frustrating. Go the other route, whatever it may be (we didn't). Still, Day #1 is magical... it was my favorite day.

I am a hospitalero in Roncesvalles right now. It has been raining for weeks and weeks. Listen to the advice of the pilgrims office in Saint Jean Pied de Port and when you have the choice between the 4 hour descent and the 1 hour descent, do take the 4 hour descent! The other one is very steep an muddy, last week a lady was rescued who had been laying there for hours with a broken leg in the pouring rain.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back