A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

The stone cross outside A Rúa or A Calle (Ordes) Camino Inglés from Ferrol

Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
Can anyone tell me to whom the ancient cross outside either of the two villages is dedicated to, please? I suspect its as you enter A Rúa, but can't be sure.The saint has a sword in hand and looks as though she could be going into/from battle(?) It's on the left hand side as you walk into the village, with the traditional stepped surround, and is probably a pilgrim marker too. There are waste containors set back from the road some ten meters further into the village. It would be great if someone knows, I've checked and searched for links and info but to no avail, and no photos found. If anyone finds a link or photos could they post them please. Many thanks. Keith

Buen Camino. Love, Light and Nature.

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Camino(s) past & future
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
In 2014 when I walked the Ingles, my camera didn't have GPS! However these must be close to the area. One in particular is a cross on the back of a PIG! I've tried unsuccessfully to find out the story about that! [/ATTACH] DSCF6727.JPG DSCF6622-001.JPG

Attachments

Stephen Nicholls

Camino(s) past & future
The statue has the date 1737, but that, I believe, is the date of the building of the church.

The state commemorates Saint Pelayo ....

Saint Pelagius of Oviedo
Also known as Pelagius the Martyr, Paio, and Pelayo…

Memorial: 26 June
Profile: left with Moors at age 10 as a hostage for his captured Christian uncle. Three years later, when Pelagius had not been ransomed, he was offered his freedom and a reward if he would convert to Islam and denounce Christianity; he declined. Martyred at age 13.

Born c.912 at Asturias, Spain
Died tortured to death in 925, relics moved to Leon, Spain in 967 then relics moved to Oviedo, Spain in 985

Hope this is of some interest to you.
Buen camino!

TerryB

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
In 2014 when I walked the Ingles, my camera didn't have GPS! However these must be close to the area. One in particular is a cross on the back of a PIG! I've tried unsuccessfully to find out the story about that!
We think the pig is one of the symbols used by the Andrade family. (They built the tower at Pontedueme). They are commemorated in the church of San Francisco at Betanzos which has the pig complete with cross on the church roof.
DSCF3925.JPG

Inside the church is at tomb with the sarcophagos resting on a pig and a bear (I think!).
DSCF0474.JPG

On the north coast (Ruta do Mar) there is this bronze statue in the plaza at Espasante.
DSCF0285.JPG

Blessings
Tio Tel

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Can anyone tell me to whom the ancient cross outside either of the two villages is dedicated to, please? I suspect its as you enter A Rúa, but can't be sure.The saint has a sword in hand and looks as though she could be going into/from battle(?) It's on the left hand side as you walk into the village, with the traditional stepped surround, and is probably a pilgrim marker too. There are waste containors set back from the road some ten meters further into the village. It would be great if someone knows, I've checked and searched for links and info but to no avail, and no photos found. If anyone finds a link or photos could they post them please. Many thanks. Keith

Buen Camino. Love, Light and Nature.
Hi Keith, welcome to the Forum and that does ring a bell! I believe @miguel_gp or @JohnnieWalker can answer your question if they're on.

Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
The statue has the date 1737, but that, I believe, is the date of the building of the church.

The state commemorates Saint Pelayo ....

Saint Pelagius of Oviedo
Also known as Pelagius the Martyr, Paio, and Pelayo…

Memorial: 26 June
Profile: left with Moors at age 10 as a hostage for his captured Christian uncle. Three years later, when Pelagius had not been ransomed, he was offered his freedom and a reward if he would convert to Islam and denounce Christianity; he declined. Martyred at age 13.

Born c.912 at Asturias, Spain
Died tortured to death in 925, relics moved to Leon, Spain in 967 then relics moved to Oviedo, Spain in 985

Hope this is of some interest to you.
Buen camino!
Thank you Stephen, your reply is much appreciated. Very interesting, although not the cross I have in mind... and dreamt about! I wish I had taken a photo and made a note - maybe I have tio do the Camino Inglés again. Regards, Keith., PS this posting is, at least, bringing-up some interesting information :)

Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
Thank you TerryB - your reply is very interesting and helpful, much appreciated. Best wishes, Keith
We think the pig is one of the symbols used by the Andrade family. (They built the tower at Pontedueme). They are commemorated in the church of San Francisco at Betanzos which has the pig complete with cross on the church roof.
View attachment 36928

Inside the church is at tomb with the sarcophagos resting on a pig and a bear (I think!).
View attachment 36929

On the north coast (Ruta do Mar) there is this bronze statue in the plaza at Espasante.
View attachment 36930

Blessings
Tio Tel

Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
In 2014 when I walked the Ingles, my camera didn't have GPS! However these must be close to the area. One in particular is a cross on the back of a PIG! I've tried unsuccessfully to find out the story about that! [/ATTACH] View attachment 36926 View attachment 36927
Hi Stephen - I've just checked your other photos - DSCF 6704 looks promising - do you remember where it is or any details about it? Thanks. Keith

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hola, the only place I can think of is before A Rua where the Church of San Pedro de Ardemil is on the Left hand side entering the village. Whereas the Church of San Pelayo is on the Right. After the church of San Pedro there is a notable Cruceiro - a saint wielding a sword is most likely Santiago Matamoros but I'd need to check. I've uploaded a pic of the church if that helps jog memories!

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
Hola, the only place I can think of is before A Rua where the Church of San Pedro de Ardemil is on the Left hand side entering the village. Whereas the Church of San Pelayo is on the Right. After the church of San Pedro there is a notable Cruceiro - a saint wielding a sword is most likely Santiago Matamoros but I'd need to check. I've uploaded a pic of the church if that helps jog memories!
Hola! That's great, Mr Walker :) I'll check it out. Any further info gratefully received. Love, Light and Nature. Keith

Stephen Nicholls

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Stephen - I've just checked your other photos - DSCF 6704 looks promising - do you remember where it is or any details about it? Thanks. Keith
It's VERY close to the church that Johnnie Walker mentions - see my reply to him [below]. When I say 'very close' I mean probably within 100 metres!!
In my diary it says: "We walked on towards A Rua, passing the rather amazing statues in the outskirts of Ardemil. I have no idea what they were all about ...."DSCF6713.JPG DSCF6715.JPG DSCF6716.JPG
As you can see from the statue of Saint James, I am standing beside it. This gives some idea of the enormous size of the statues!

Attachments

Last edited:

Stephen Nicholls

Camino(s) past & future
Greetings, young Johnnie!
I went to Mass in that church, and thought you might like to see a couple of pictures [or three!] My diary says "After 3 kms during which I had been accompanied by distant barking dogs, constant singing of the birds and the occasional cuckoo, I reached the church of San Pedro in Ardemil in good time for mass at 10:00. Almost everyone was standing outside the church at 09:55. It reminded me of funerals in the UK where folk unaccustomed to being in a church tend to remain outside until the very last moment. The Mass, readings, sermon and Holy Communion lasted for 22½ minutes. Mind you, I believe the priest was saying it at such a speed that even the locals would have had difficulty following."
The inside of the church was beautiful [see photos].

Blessings from grey England ....

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
It's VERY close to the church that Johnnie Walker mentions - see my reply to him [below]. When I say 'very close' I mean probably within 100 metres!!
In my diary it says: "We walked on towards A Rua, passing the rather amazing statues in the outskirts of Ardemil. I have no idea what they were all about ...."View attachment 36978 View attachment 36979 View attachment 36980
As you can see from the statue of Saint James, I am standing beside it. This gives some idea of the enormous size of the statues!
Hi Stephen - it seems that as it's of a saint with a sword, Johnie's suggestion that it is probably St James - 'The Big Man' himself, would make sense, even be logical (by my meagre expeirence, I'm not aware of other sword-wielding saints on any Camino - but please let me know if there are any). It answers a very important question for me and sets me upon a special path (again). Thank you to you all, its been fascinating and informative. LLN Keith

Stephen Nicholls

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Stephen - it seems that as it's of a saint with a sword, Johnie's suggestion that it is probably St James - 'The Big Man' himself, would make sense,
Keith - if you click on that picture to bring it up to full size, you'll see it's an enormous statue of St James [or a pilgrim], but there is no sword - he's just holding a pilgrim's staff.

Dennis M

Camino(s) past & future
May 2015 - Camino Ingles; Future Caminho Portuguése, Camino de Fisterra
@Redhead Keith buen camino. I’ll check my photos and hope I can help you find the right photo.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I have finally found our photo of the cruceiro at A Rua (Buscas) It only shows one side, but may have Santiago on the other side. (I have checked the location with @JohnnieWalker 's guide and Google 'street view')

Attachments

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016

Dennis M

Camino(s) past & future
St James.. pointing Go West :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dennis M

Camino(s) past & future
@Stephen Nicholls already posted this .. just posting on a different look... I think that's all I can find.. however, i'll keep looking around since i have lots of photos :)

Attachments

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
gollygolly Camino Ingles 12
C Camino Ingles 5
M Camino Ingles 14

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 203 23.9%