• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Venice route to Santiago de Compostela

venicetosantiago

Hi all! There is a new Camino that connect Venice in Italy to the Francigena way in order to get to Santiago throught France on the GR 653D and then the Arles route.

This camino is about 300 km, but makes you walk 2500 km!

You can find more info (but in italian on this website: http://www.venicetosantiago.com, and some pictures on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/venicetosantiago.

You can also download free GPS tracks on this website: https://www.gpsies.com/mapUser.do?usern ... tosantiago

Do not exitate to write the association to get a list of albergues and hotels where to sleep! the list is gaven in italian but is easy to understand.

The camino is not the same thing as it is in Spain or in France but is a new and lonely experience and very few people have done it!!

Enjoy the Camino!!

Attachments

• Immagine 5.png
    Immagine 5.png
    426.3 KB · Views: 872
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Salut. I am currently hiking along the Via Dolmitia aka le Chemin de St J, GR 653D and will shortly arrive in Briançon then Montgenevre. I hope to follow le Chemin de Saint Jacques in reverse from Montegenvre to Venice. I have sent an email to a contact listed on the website above but as yet have had no response. Can anyone here offer advice? I am searching for maps and a guide book and any written commentary for this new route. I am not carrying a phone, gps or computer so am limited to public internet access. Thank you for your prayers and help.
Cheers,
Lovingkindness

ps the GR 653D is stunning, an absolute must!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am considering doing the Venice route this next summer. I finished the France route from SJPDP in June of this year. I am looking for experiences from those that have tried the Venice route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kink......Great site....now I'm really getting the hots to do this !!......thanks heaps.....Vicr

Let me know when, Vic! I'm 8-10 days walk from Venice ;)
We also have St.Jacob's Way in Slovenia. From Slovenian-Croatian border at Bregana, through Ljubljana to Trieste. 300km approximately. And then on to Venice and on and on... to Finisterre, I guess :)

Take care!

B.

Hi Kink.......I'm back in France in December till end of Feb....then I hope to do the Venice to Santiago.....what is the saying about well laid plans ? :) I can only hope ! ;)...........Regards Vic

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
oh, really? which way are you going? the direct one to torino?

Hi, caminka!

In Ljubljana at the moment, but thinking of several routes for next year including the one from my doorstep :)

Bostjan

I think that "the Venice route", which connects Venice to the Francigena route, is 300km long. But there are 2500km altogether from Venice to SdC.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
ah! a misunderstanding then. :) well, I hope you will go next year! let us know how (where) you decide to go.

Has anyone actually done the Venice route? Is it marked? Are there sufficiently supported by places to stay and places to eat or get food?

Has anyone actually done the Venice route? Is it marked? Are there sufficiently supported by places to stay and places to eat or get food?

I am sure people have done it, though not many.

This said, the eastern part of the route that is from Venice through to where you connect with the Via Francigena follows more or less the Po River. There is a series of paths, mostly I believe bike paths that hug the river, so it would be easy to cycle and probably reasonable easy to walk through I not sure how well it would be marked. The other real issue I see would be the lack of affordable pilgrim style accommodation for this section. I think you would have to rely on regular pensions and the like.

My experience with walking in Italy, not all things are as well marked and developed as you are lead to believe.

I am working from memory but I suspect the route connects with the via Francgiena near fidenza or west of there. The via Francigena going west towards France to Vercelli is now well marked. There is a reasonable selection of pilgrim style accommodation along this section too.

From Vercelli you would take the alternate route ( not the route north west to Aosta and gran San Bernardo ) to France to connect with the GR system that would allow you in fact to continue all the way to Santiago.

In summary probably doable by foot - if you give yourself 4 months. Probably very doable by bike.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have done a short stretch of a parallel route that goes from Venice to Po via Padova, Monselice, Carceri d'Este, Badia Polesine, Moglia/Sermide last year. it's called via romea leona. this is the website: http://www.amicidisantiago.it/romea/leona.htm

the walking is flat, often along canals. there were yellow arrows, although I don't remember them very much because I was following my description. there is some pilgrim accommodation. there are shops (or at least a bakery) and restaurants in all towns with accommodation.
you reach the route by leaving venice on a boat to Fusina.
by that route (then crossing down to via francigena across the appenines and following the coast north to france, I needed 5 months from slovenia to santiago)

Venice/Fusina - Padova, 36km (can be broken in two by staying in Dolo, hotel €40-45)
abbazia s giustina, 049/855 0411, 822 0431, you must get foresterario padre Filippo Resta otherwise you can't stay (try calling 4 days ahead), all year, donativo
ostello citta di padova, 049/875 2219, a bit north of old centre, all year (from 15h30), BB €19-23

Padova - Monselice, 22.7km (or 1km further if staying in monasterio s giacomo)
venetian hostel, 0429/783 125, all year, bed €22-35
monasterio s giacomo, 328/343 8580 (call, no sms), all year, donativo

Monselice - Carceri d'Este, 17.5km
abbazia de Carceri, 0429/619 777, no shower but kitchen, sleeping bag & mattress necessary, friendly, call 2-3 days ahead, all year, donativo
stock in este.

Carceri d'Este - Badia Polesine, 22.5km
hotel antonio, 0425/520 36, all year, bed €31
a couple of BBs or ask at the tourist office (9h-12h30+16h-19h)
if calling centro parrochiale, 0425/514 74 - I was accommodated about 2km south in Salvaterra in an empty parish, cold shower and a stove but no bed or mattress

Badia Polesine - Sermide/Moglia on the Po, 33km
centro sportivo in Moglia, attended by parrochia, the phone I got was not working
BB agriturismo Corte Giardina, 338/766 8558, about 1-1.5km S of Moglia, dinner €23, BB €30
in Sermide is a hotel, 0535/610 86

I've also done Torino - the French border bit in 2009, with the help of extremely friendly association that manages that part: http://www.moncalieriincammino.it/. the kms are approximate, all info and prices are for 2009!
it was not yet fully waymarked in 2009 but I am sure this had changed since then.
by that route I needed 3 monts and 3 weeks from torino to santiago.

Torino - Rivoli, 30km
ostello torino, 011/660 2939, on the E side of the river, dinner, closed january15 - december20, BB €15-22
plus some more hostels, one on the N side of torino near the route, I think
ostello rivoli, on top of the town after the museum of modern art, opens 15h, HP €28

Rivoli - Sant'Ambrogio, 35km(?)
parrochia, 011/939 132 and BB Faro di Nord-Ovest, 339/128 8686, €40
I slept on top in sacra di san michele which is a 1h30 climb from Sant'Ambrogio, arranged by the above association, donativo
stock in avigliana.

Sant'Ambrogio - Bussoleno, 27km
hotel kamal kafe, 0122/493 80, bed €30, HP €45
hotel isolabella, 0122/641 612, HP €45-65
stock in antonino di susa, there are restaurants attached to the hotels.

Bussoleno - Chiomonte, 20km
Meisun Brodel, 347/400 6585, very friendly, dinner €15, january-march + june15-september + november-december, BB €25
stock in susa, although there are a shop and restaurants.

Chiomonte - Oulx, 22km
BB Seguret, 0122/831 164, near the train station, very friendly, kitchen, BB €40
two more BBs
shops are in the centre, stock before going to BB Seguret

Oulx - Monginevra/Montgenevre, 24km
gite d'etape azalee, 0492/218 252, all year, BB €25, HP €40
also various chambres d'hotes (BBs) and hotels
there is a bakery.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back