• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The way beckons

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm two years behind you then deb. To the day.

I noticed that. I'm wondering what you are retiring from?

I've been a high school teacher for the last twelve years or so, but have been mostly a teacher since the early 90's.

I wish I could begin my Camino the first of May, but I've got to finish teaching and that will end on 10 June. By then, Oregon--in the Pac NW--will be rolling out an amazing summer, and I've got lots of fun plans....such as Diamond Lake, Crater Lake, and Inn at Spanish Head....along with farming, biking, hiking, and all the fun stuff that Oregon offers in its glorious summers! I so love summer here that I'd rather be here than anywhere else. Come Fall though, I'll be off and away. By September, I'll be a hiking machine, and physically ready to head to Spain :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some have told me it is a little too late in the season? Any thoughts?
Anyone who told you that has either not walked at that time, or happened to encounter very bad luck. You will find many on this forum who think it's the best time. I walked for 2 weeks in November 2012 and 3 weeks in Oct-Nov 2014. In 2015 I will start again in mid-October in SJPP.

The big crowds have gone but there are still enough people for lots of socialization. The weather can be very pleasant in October, although there will be rain in Galicia. You do have to come prepared for any weather from heat to snow, but that is part of the challenge.

Anyone who told you that has either not walked at that time, or happened to encounter very bad luck. You will find many on this forum who think it's the best time. I walked for 2 weeks in November 2012 and 3 weeks in Oct-Nov 2014. In 2015 I will start again in mid-October in SJPP.

The big crowds have gone but there are still enough people for lots of socialization. The weather can be very pleasant in October, although there will be rain in Galicia. You do have to come prepared for any weather from heat to snow, but that is part of the challenge.
Many Thx.

:)
I am retiring in September 2017 and intending to walk the Camino setting off on 1st October. The close of one of life's chapters and towards new beginnings....
I have a countdown clock on my iPad!
Good for you , wish you happy planning and a Buen Camino , Peter . p.s. October is great to walk , my wife did that in 2013 .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The weather in October is beautiful - not too warm, and rainy season hasn't started yet in earnest in Galicia (although it may still rain). There will also still be plenty of pilgrims out on the trail (assuming you'll be doing the Frances?). Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

The weather in October is beautiful - not too warm, and rainy season hasn't started yet in earnest in Galicia (although it may still rain). There will also still be plenty of pilgrims out on the trail (assuming you'll be doing the Frances?). Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

Natefaith: thanks for commenting about the October weather; I really appreciate all of the positive and helpful comments. In truth, I am so glad that my Camino will begin on the first of October. I am working out a lot, going on hikes and on my feet a lot. I'm wishing I could depart the USA right after I retire in early June, but I don't think that would be a great time for my first journey. I don't mind the heat, but I don't always want to hang out with really large groups. I think there will be plenty of pilgrim friends out there, and fewer younger pilgrims, perhaps. I love young people, but am hoping to have some--just a little!--slightly quieter time. I'm fine with the chat, music, songs, wine :) I just have the sense that October will be a wonderful time for me.

Natefaith: thanks for commenting about the October weather; I really appreciate all of the positive and helpful comments. In truth, I am so glad that my Camino will begin on the first of October. I am working out a lot, going on hikes and on my feet a lot. I'm wishing I could depart the USA right after I retire in early June, but I don't think that would be a great time for my first journey. I don't mind the heat, but I don't always want to hang out with really large groups. I think there will be plenty of pilgrim friends out there, and fewer younger pilgrims, perhaps. I love young people, but am hoping to have some--just a little!--slightly quieter time. I'm fine with the chat, music, songs, wine :) I just have the sense that October will be a wonderful time for me.

I think you've picked a perfect time to go for you, Deb. You're right - it will be quieter than in the summer, with fewer large groups. May it be a wonderful time of contemplation and celebration for you. Finish your teaching career strong, happy almost-retirement, and Buen Camino!
Faith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've walk the ways in May/June and September/October. Wet, check. Cold, check. Hot, check. Just right, check. Go have fun, check.;)

Happy Trails

€46,-
View attachment 17583 Deb, you can forget about the two years. Lol. Tick, tick, tick, Not wishing my life away but I am so looking forward to this endeavour.

Hey Wayne, I have an app just like that : ) Seriously, I am not wishing my time away or anything, but there is a lot of healthy preparation that goes into this walk anyway. I think that any activity that gets you hiking, eating clean, or considering lofty thoughts and ideals is a good activity!

I'm still playing with the calendar....I think I chose well with October, but if I weren't teaching, I would be on a plane within a week. I am an "immediate gratification" sort of person, and typically, I know what I want, make a plan, and get it, do it, or travel to it! This has been a wonderful exercise for me (and it's kind of like losing weight--which I'm always working on--a daily focus will yield a strong result).

I do love my job, and love teaching the teens (who love to be entertained, and don't so much love writing essays and reading what I choose) so that sure helps a lot. It is 5 AM west coast, and here I sit grading and taking a break from it....

Hoping that your job is great fun for you, and that you are loving your time, each and every day!

Deb

Hey Wayne, I have an app just like that : ) Seriously, I am not wishing my time away or anything, but there is a lot of healthy preparation that goes into this walk anyway. I think that any activity that gets you hiking, eating clean, or considering lofty thoughts and ideals is a good activity!

I'm still playing with the calendar....I think I chose well with October, but if I weren't teaching, I would be on a plane within a week. I am an "immediate gratification" sort of person, and typically, I know what I want, make a plan, and get it, do it, or travel to it! This has been a wonderful exercise for me (and it's kind of like losing weight--which I'm always working on--a daily focus will yield a strong result).

I do love my job, and love teaching the teens (who love to be entertained, and don't so much love writing essays and reading what I choose) so that sure helps a lot. It is 5 AM west coast, and here I sit grading and taking a break from it....

Hoping that your job is great fun for you, and that you are loving your time, each and every day!

Deb
Hey. Deb, Are you still on target for an October 1 start?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will keep good track of everything. I have a feeling that I"m going to encounter some rain, but as a Pacific NW gal, I have no fear!

You do look like a young pup! I've decided that I'm not really retired, and honestly, I'm not...I am now a substitute teacher! I will be doing a lot of that in order to make money for my next Camino---in 2016! Already trying to figure out how to package this one to the family! (need to sneak out either early spring or early fall).

Wayne: What a fantastic way to transition into retirement. Lots of time to reflect and experience yourself in a completely different environment. As others have said, it's a great time to walk! Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Time is flying!

Have you noticed that the 2 is going to SOON be a 1? Wow...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You have a great goal and enough time to do a lot of preparation. You might consider reading several books on the Camino that cover the history and architecture that can be found along the various Caminos. Good time to learn Spanish also. You have a wonderful time to look forward to and the Camino will be a superb stepping stone into your future. Buen Camino and God bless you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wish

i am two years behind you to retirement and Camino!

Ohhh why wait until you retire...take a pre reitrement walk!!!

Planning my 1st Camino this sept, and I wish it was tomorrow already!!

Congrats on your future retirement!! Buen Camino;)

You have a great goal and enough time to do a lot of preparation. You might consider reading several books on the Camino that cover the history and architecture that can be found along the various Caminos. Good time to learn Spanish also. You have a wonderful time to look forward to and the Camino will be a superb stepping stone into your future. Buen Camino and God bless you.

Any book suggestions?

The one book that I have recommended before is a book by Derry Brabbs, "The Roads to Santiago", the subtitle is The Landscapes and Architecture of the World's Greatest Pilgrim Route. This is an excellent book for the novice, but interested student of the Camino's history and architecture. Brabbs does a good job of reviewing the major Chemins of France and then moving into Spain and its various Ways. There are a lot of pictures with a good Index to look for items of particular interest. However, there are almost no references, but with the amount of information provided anyone will be able to focus on particular buildings or places of interest and know where to find additional source material.

Once you get past this there is are a number of areas to study and read to enhance the beauty of the Camino for a pilgrim; however, the books are broader in scope and address history, architecture, and art separately.

There are several books that address the cultural beauty of the Camino. A good one is "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook".

These books are only my opinion and I am sure that others will have additional references that they have found beneficial. I hope that you will find these two books as enjoyable as I did.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back