• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things I Fear - Revisited after my camino

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Last year, about 6 months before I left to walk the CF in May 2023, I posted a (slightly tongue-in-cheek) list of things that I was concerned about, or "feared". Thought I'd pull up that list now that I've been back home for a couple months, and see if those fears were justified.

I FEAR(ed):
  • Problems getting to SJPDP
    • As did pretty much everyone, I too arrived safe and sound in SJPDP. Traveled via Paris-Biarritz. No problems, and fear was not justified.
  • Language problems
    • This was actually a larger problem than I anticipated, but only from a food-ordering perspective. My lack of Spanish wasn't a major issue at all, but next time I will ensure I learn more food and drink related words to assist with ordering and booking accommodation.
  • Sleeping in a room full of strangers
    • Meh, it is what it is. Not something I loved, but it was easy enough to adapt to the reality. A private room once a week helped a lot.
  • Being forced to use public toilets and showers for 7 weeks
    • Yeah that sucked. I've never been much of a fan of sharing a bathroom (4 bathrooms in my house), but just like sleeping in dorm rooms you adapt. Some albergues mixed the sexes which I didn't really like. I will never be comfortable sitting on a toilet with a strange woman sitting on a toilet next to me... Perhaps my Canadian upbringing has made me a bit prudish.
  • Not meeting people along the way that I connect with
    • A wide variety of people everywhere, so this wasn't really something I needed to be concerned about
  • Not gaining any real insights into why I’ve become such a mental basket-case these past few years
    • Well that's all a work in progress, but I came home and quit my job, which (so far) I view as a positive outcome. I simply wasn't happy doing what I was doing, so a change was necessary. The camino helped give me the courage to follow through with quitting. Boredom I think has been my main problem the past few years, nothing more than that.
  • Not finding someone at least vaguely interested in my story and why I'm walking
    • I did manage to find a couple people who were interested :). But that said, I'm hoping that on my next camino I can be a little less inwardly focused, and do a little less naval-gazing. I'm hoping to walk the VdlP next, which should give me more than enough time alone with my thoughts, and the rest of the time I hope to be more outwardly focused than I was on the CF. I sometimes feel like I often would avoid camaraderie due to wanting to walk alone. Next time I'll strive for a bit more balance.
  • Discovering that the copious amounts of camino content I've absorbed from youtube and blogs has set unrealistic expectations, and set me up for disappointment
    • I wasn't set up for disappointment, but I do think there were some expectations that had been created, despite my concerted effort to not bring expectations with me. But I don't regret all the hours spent vicariously walking the camino with others on YouTube.
  • Disliking the food
    • I tell people that if I was fluent in Spanish, and had an unlimited budget, I could have eaten wonderful food every day on the camino. However I don't speak Spanish, and I don't have an unlimited budget, so I was mostly limited to tortillas for breakfast, bocadillo for lunch, and pilgrim menus for dinner. Nothing wrong with the food, but some of those dinners were a bit bland (I tend to like spicy food). And I'll never be a fan of putting canned tuna on a green garden salad.
  • Finding out I don’t enjoy walking long distances day after day
    • Turns out I LOVE walking long distances day after day! That's all I want to do now!
  • Not having fun
    • Every day was "fun", although that word sounds a bit trite. Every day was wonderful, full stop.
  • Disliking my fellow pilgrims
    • There were very few, if any, pilgrims that I "disliked". I found it was much easier to get along with fellow pilgrims than it is with any other form of travel or tourism (pilgrimage is a form of tourism). Fellow travelers/tourists can often be horrible people, but I never encountered any horrible pilgrims. I guess it's the nature of what brings everyone together on the camino that results in such positive energy.
  • Finding out my fellow pilgrims are all much older or much younger than me
    • This was generally the case. Most pilgrims seemed to be either older (retired) or in their 20s (there were more young people than I had expected). You don't see as many pilgrims in their 40s or 50s. But this wasn't an issue, or even something that I even really noticed.
  • Missing my wife and daughter and wishing they were with me
    • I missed them a lot, but frankly was very glad they weren't with me. It would have changed the dynamic completely, from a pilgrimage to a walking holiday, and I would have been always focused on whether or not they were having a good time. Particularly on some of the days on the meseta when it was a long hot slog, I was so grateful that my daughter wasn't there. I took a certain amount of pleasure and satisfaction from the physical challenges. I don't think she would have been as positive about it...
  • Finding out my wife and daughter aren’t missing me nearly as much as I’m missing them
    • I would suspect my being away was much less of a big deal for them than it was for me.
  • Feeling lonely
    • Nope, never once felt lonely. I did however have plenty of alone time, which I loved.
  • Missing the comforts of home
    • Only slightly (see comment re shared bathrooms above). For the most part there wasn't really much to miss. I was comfortable while walking and appreciated the simplicity of life. Didn't really miss anything other than a private bathroom.
  • Feeling like it wasn’t worth all the difficulties involved with traveling to Spain for 7 weeks
    • It was worth it. However I'm still very much processing it, and it still feels like it was all just a dream. I expect that I'll be mentally returning to my camino over the coming winter months. I think I've only scratched the surface with regards to understanding how much I've been impacted.
  • Getting back to the real world after living in a camino bubble for almost 2 months
    • Yeah that was a legitimate concern. I haven't really gotten back to the real world yet. The past couple months since I returned have been busy with summer activities like camping and going to the beach, so it's felt like I've been on holidays. As mentioned above, I quit my job, and now have to figure out what the heck to do next.
  • Finding out that going back to my job after this experience is intolerable if not inconceivable.
    • welp, it was inconceivable... I gave my notice on my second day back.
  • Wanting to repeat this experience over and over every year, much to the chagrin of my family who might prefer to go to a beach resort.
    • I've been back home for two months, and am already thinking about my next one. Via de la Plata 2024! :)

Here's a link to the original thread, which includes all the valid comments from people telling me to lighten up :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your reflection, which also greatly helps others setting out on their first Camino. I'm glad your trip ended up being so positive and life changing. Glad you found an ample number of people to connect with, and that you weren't lonely. These are some of my fears too.

I've been doing Duolingo Spanish lessons. Hopefully they help. I can ask for "sin pescado" or any other foods I get fussy about. 😅 Did you have any basic Spanish at all?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year, about 6 months before I left to walk the CF in May 2023, I posted a (slightly tongue-in-cheek) list of things that I was concerned about, or "feared". Thought I'd pull up that list now that I've been back home for a couple months, and see if those fears were justified.

I FEAR(ed):
    • As did pretty much everyone, I too arrived safe and sound in SJPDP. Traveled via Paris-Biarritz. No problems, and fear was not justified.
  • Language problems
    • This was actually a larger problem than I anticipated, but only from a food-ordering perspective. My lack of Spanish wasn't a major issue at all, but next time I will ensure I learn more food and drink related words to assist with ordering and booking accommodation.
    • Meh, it is what it is. Not something I loved, but it was easy enough to adapt to the reality. A private room once a week helped a lot.
    • Yeah that sucked. I've never been much of a fan of sharing a bathroom (4 bathrooms in my house), but just like sleeping in dorm rooms you adapt. Some albergues mixed the sexes which I didn't really like. I will never be comfortable sitting on a toilet with a strange woman sitting on a toilet next to me... Perhaps my Canadian upbringing has made me a bit prudish.
    • A wide variety of people everywhere, so this wasn't really something I needed to be concerned about
  • Not gaining any real insights into why I’ve become such a mental basket-case these past few years
    • Well that's all a work in progress, but I came home and quit my job, which (so far) I view as a positive outcome. I simply wasn't happy doing what I was doing, so a change was necessary. The camino helped give me the courage to follow through with quitting. Boredom I think has been my main problem the past few years, nothing more than that.
  • Not finding someone at least vaguely interested in my story and why I'm walking
    • I did manage to find a couple people who were interested :). But that said, I'm hoping that on my next camino I can be a little less inwardly focused, and do a little less naval-gazing. I'm hoping to walk the VdlP next, which should give me more than enough time alone with my thoughts, and the rest of the time I hope to be more outwardly focused than I was on the CF. I sometimes feel like I often would avoid camaraderie due to wanting to walk alone. Next time I'll strive for a bit more balance.
  • Discovering that the copious amounts of camino content I've absorbed from youtube and blogs has set unrealistic expectations, and set me up for disappointment
    • I wasn't set up for disappointment, but I do think there were some expectations that had been created, despite my concerted effort to not bring expectations with me. But I don't regret all the hours spent vicariously walking the camino with others on YouTube.
  • Disliking the food
    • I tell people that if I was fluent in Spanish, and had an unlimited budget, I could have eaten wonderful food every day on the camino. However I don't speak Spanish, and I don't have an unlimited budget, so I was mostly limited to tortillas for breakfast, bocadillo for lunch, and pilgrim menus for dinner. Nothing wrong with the food, but some of those dinners were a bit bland (I tend to like spicy food). And I'll never be a fan of putting canned tuna on a green garden salad.
    • Turns out I LOVE walking long distances day after day! That's all I want to do now!
  • Not having fun
    • Every day was "fun", although that word sounds a bit trite. Every day was wonderful, full stop.
    • There were very few, if any, pilgrims that I "disliked". I found it was much easier to get along with fellow pilgrims than it is with any other form of travel or tourism (pilgrimage is a form of tourism). Fellow travelers/tourists can often be horrible people, but I never encountered any horrible pilgrims. I guess it's the nature of what brings everyone together on the camino that results in such positive energy.
    • This was generally the case. Most pilgrims seemed to be either older (retired) or in their 20s (there were more young people than I had expected). You don't see as many pilgrims in their 40s or 50s. But this wasn't an issue, or even something that I even really noticed.
    • I missed them a lot, but frankly was very glad they weren't with me. It would have changed the dynamic completely, from a pilgrimage to a walking holiday, and I would have been always focused on whether or not they were having a good time. Particularly on some of the days on the meseta when it was a long hot slog, I was so grateful that my daughter wasn't there. I took a certain amount of pleasure and satisfaction from the physical challenges. I don't think she would have been as positive about it...
  • Finding out my wife and daughter aren’t missing me nearly as much as I’m missing them
    • I would suspect my being away was much less of a big deal for them than it was for me.
  • Feeling lonely
    • Nope, never once felt lonely. I did however have plenty of alone time, which I loved.
    • Only slightly (see comment re shared bathrooms above). For the most part there wasn't really much to miss. I was comfortable while walking and appreciated the simplicity of life. Didn't really miss anything other than a private bathroom.
  • Feeling like it wasn’t worth all the difficulties involved with traveling to Spain for 7 weeks
    • It was worth it. However I'm still very much processing it, and it still feels like it was all just a dream. I expect that I'll be mentally returning to my camino over the coming winter months. I think I've only scratched the surface with regards to understanding how much I've been impacted.
  • Getting back to the real world after living in a camino bubble for almost 2 months
    • Yeah that was a legitimate concern. I haven't really gotten back to the real world yet. The past couple months since I returned have been busy with summer activities like camping and going to the beach, so it's felt like I've been on holidays. As mentioned above, I quit my job, and now have to figure out what the heck to do next.
  • Finding out that going back to my job after this experience is intolerable if not inconceivable.
  • Wanting to repeat this experience over and over every year, much to the chagrin of my family who might prefer to go to a beach resort.
    • I've been back home for two months, and am already thinking about my next one. Via de la Plata 2024! :)

Here's a link to the original thread, which includes all the valid comments from people telling me to lighten up :)
JustJack, The Camino is a metaphor for life, we’ve been told, with all it’s fears, joys and sorrows, but passing through it we become wiser, better, stronger people. Thanks for articulating the fears that more than a few of us share with you. My first and only Camino (Português 2017) had its own at the start, but saw them all melt away. I can’t wait to be on Camino again in 2024.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I FEAR(ed):
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely

Great summary....we had many of the same concerns last spring, and I feel you hit them right on. Hiking the Camino was one of our greatest experiences and even with the "fears" that I feel are so normal, we would (and hope to!) do it again in a heartbeat!

I FEAR(ed):
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely

Such a great read! I leave in 2 days for my first so this has been very interesting.

Thanks so much for the update.
Re being introspective and possibly over sharing- on the Via de la Plata in autumn last year, much to my surprise, I journaled every day using the FindPenguins app. This was not planned but it turned out the most consistent person I had to talk to was me in my journal.
I go back to it regularly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I FEAR(ed):
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your Camino experience. My husband and I are planning our very first Camino next year.

"And I'll never be a fan of putting canned tuna on a green garden salad."

Right there with you. ((Shudder!)) It was often a fantastic day for me whenever I found a "real" salad, no tuna, no corn, no iceberg, but heavy on the dark leafy greens, cheeses and nuts.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I FEAR(ed):
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely

I read this thread when you originally posted it and I had many of the same fears. After my first week of walking I thought I'll walk this Camino but then i'am done with caminos. You started your Camino a couple days before me so I've been back a couple months now also. But as the saying goes don't judge by how it starts out but by how it ends. My ending was great, so like you a'am planning my next camino for next year, Norte or Portuguese. I retired on September 1 so maybe I'll have time to do more of my Spanish lessons. Yes when ordering food I did a lot of pointing and being a chef next time I want to be able to ask more about what i'am actually getting. Good luck on your next fearless Camino

I FEAR(ed):
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me and others. I'm gearing up for my first camino. Your writing helps me.

"And I'll never be a fan of putting canned tuna on a green garden salad."

Right there with you. ((Shudder!)) It was often a fantastic day for me whenever I found a "real" salad, no tuna, no corn, no iceberg, but heavy on the dark leafy greens, cheeses and nuts.
I did have one of the best salads of my life on the camino. In Fillobal, a tiny village with just one albergue. It was exquisite. Leafy greens, fresh tomatoes, slices of fresh apple, figs, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and an incredible balsamic dressing. Not s speck of corn, tuna, or cold white asparagus. It was so good I took a photo.

For any pilgrims walking by Fillobal around meal time, you must stop at the restaurant attached to the albergue and order their salad.

thumbnail_IMG_8961.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for sharing your insights @JustJack. Sounds like you had a very meaningful experience, without a lot to fear. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back