• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post-Camino Blues and Reflection

Nana995

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria To Fisterra
Hey folks, I know this topic has probably been talked about before, and some of you might have already shared your thoughts on it. But I wanted to start a new conversation just to freshen things up 😄.

So, I'm a newbie when it comes to the Camino. I kicked things off in Sarria on September 27, walked about 100km, and then did the Cee-Muxia route for 40km in 3 days. I'd say I spent about 60% of my nights in pensions or hotels and the other 40% in albergues.

The reason I decided to embark on this journey is because I'm about to move to a new country for an exciting job opportunity and a whole new life next year. I am currently taking a career break after quitting my last job. I felt like this was the perfect time to hit the reset button and reflect on everything that's happened and what's coming up in my life. In two days, I'll be flying back to Canada, and the mix of emotions about returning to reality is pretty intense, and I believe these feelings can be broken down into five areas:

1. “Have all my missions been completely solved?”
Not quite, but some of them have improved. Going on this roughly two-week walk has been a bit of a luxury, giving me plenty of free time to ponder life. I intended to cherish this time and disconnect from the outside world, but a couple of things got in the way:
- “Real-life distractions” - I did my best to set aside my daily life and not constantly check my phone, but it’s not easy. Some issues back home did demand my attention while I was walking, so I dealt with them once I reached my accommodation.
- “Phone distractions” - While my phone was a lifesaver for navigation, it could also be a distraction from the beautiful nature around me. I found myself texting friends and someone I was thinking about (one of the reasons I did the Camino) while I was walking, which disrupted the peaceful rhythm of this walking meditation.

2. Walking distance, the time I spent in Camino and the route I chose
I think this one is related to my first point. 100km from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela felt like a warm-up. I didn’t feel the “real” Camino until the Cee-Muxia route where I could truly enjoy the alone time, the magnificent sunsets in Fisterra & Muxia and nature on my own. I believe part of the reasons is the last 100km of Camino Frances was a bit too crowed so it didn’t give me that “solitude” vibe I was expecting, and 7 days of hike simply was not long enough to have any kind of emotional resolution in my opinion.

3. First-timer
As a first timer, I had a lot of concerns such as: How many KM can I actually walk? What if I get injured? What if I can’t find the accommodations? What if my phone die..? What if… many of them

4. The social interaction with other pilgrims
I was expecting way more “in-depth” conversation with other pilgrims before coming to the Camino this time, but what I actually got is way more “inner conversation” with myself. Not a bad thing at all, really! But I was wondering if part of it is due to the route I chose, where I started and time spent in private rooms. I was a bit reserved to open up to others for some reasons.

5. Language barrier
I learned Spanish on Duolingo for 2 months to prepare this walk and I thought I know enough to get by…not until I came here then realized Galician speak too fast for me to follow😅.

I found myself in many situations having to speak English with the locals asking for direction/ordering food/checking in and I really didn’t want to do it. I am one of those people who would love to speak the local languages wherever I travel to, because I believe speaking their languages is a way to show respect to the local culture and people there, especially when many of them don’t speak very fluent English.

However, put all of above aside. I did learned a lot from this trip and enjoyed my time. I’ve also met many wonderful and kind locals and pilgrims which made this 14-day journey even more memorable. This journey is so wonderful that I wish I could just keep walking and never need to go back to deal with the busy life back home.

I have already started planning for the next Camino, and things I would like to change from my first are:
  • Choose a less popular route such as Primitivo or Central Portuguese, in section by taking one week vacation here and there
  • Stay in an albergue as much as I can
  • Pack lighter! I brought a 44L backpack with me this time, and I packed way more sets of clothes than I actually needed :(
  • Learn to speak better Spanish
  • Just enjoy the Camino experience without having too much worries a first timer may have
How did you feel after you finishing your Camino and go back to normal daily routine life back home? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How did you feel after you finishing your Camino and go back to normal daily routine life back home? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

It sucked
And still does each time I come home :oops:
Nothing for it, but to just plan the next one!

On the distance 'thing' I would agree.
If only walking 100km or so, you are just warming up by the end.
For me, 2 weeks walking would be a minimum to really get into the 'zone'.

Though the good news may be, that it happens faster the more Caminos you walk.
I think it took me 2 minutes on the last one ! :)

Afternote:
For anyone reading this who has not walked their first Camino yet, it might sound odd.
100 kms to just 'warm up'?

But I think many people find on their first Camino, it takes that long to adjust to the Camino.
The daily walking.
Caring for your feet, body etc.
Getting used to the routine.
Worrying about stuff.
All that seems to fall away after about 100kms - on the first one.
And if you're only walking from Sarria for example...........then you finish.
Just as you were really getting into it.

But on subsequent Caminos, you know what to expect and how it all works.
So you hit that chilled out cruise mode alot faster........
At least that's what I've found. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
But on subsequent Caminos, you know what to expect and how it all works.
So you hit that chilled out cruise mode alot faster........
At least that's what I've found. :rolleyes:
It is so long since my first Camino that my recollections of it may be false but it certainly feels true that previous walking experience makes it quicker and easier to adjust to the pace and rhythm of walking a Camino. On the physical side it usually takes my body about 3 days to get over the initial stiffness I feel when starting again in the mornings or after a rest. Hills also become a lot easier after a couple of tiring early days - my stamina improves very quickly. The mental adjustment tends to take me longer than the physical and I also find a week is really too short for that process. I find there is a very real qualitative difference between a walk of about a week and one closer to a month. It is not just more of the same. At the end of a 66 day walk from the UK to Rome I found it very difficult to not be walking further every day and to return to my "normal" sedentary life which had become unfamiliar and uncomfortable in just over two months away.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was on the Camino exactly one year ago and think about it every single day. I am hoping to do the Portuguese next year for my 75th birthday. I think that it changes you and that you will never be the same person. I believe in a positive way. It became a part of my soul and I am not religious person, per se, but it is hard to describe. My husband has no idea what I experienced although I have tried and tried.

With that said, the language barrier was at times an issue but I did take some online classes and brought along a phrase book. It helped immensely. I found if you tried to convey your needs in Spanish, and put forth the effort, someone always stepped in to help. Maybe just because I was an older woman 😂.

I wish you a Buen Camino. You will never regret it.

Agree with others that 100kms is a warm up. I walked the Frances from SJPP a year ago (as a first timer newly retired at 63yo), and it took two weeks of walking for my feet to swell up, blister, heal, rest, and recover enough to finish the 700km walk. Also agree with you about the language barrier—I did the same Duolingo thing, thinking I was prepared, but Spanish speak so fast! Google Translate was my friend…

But I did stay in albergues the first 10 days or so, before deciding the top bunks are just not for me. And I still keep in touch with the friends I met and walked with around the world. The deeper conversations come over time, usually when walking with someone all day 1:1. After those first 10 days, I reserved private rooms/bathrooms because I decided I’m just too old for dorm living.

Readjusting after returning home has consisted of:
  • Gaining back the 10lbs I lost, plus a little more 🤣
  • Continuing to stay active but also taking time to understand why my top hamstrings are in chronic pain, figuring out how to address that pain, consulting doctors and seeing an acupuncturist and focusing on healing and strengthening and recovery. Also giving my feet time to heal…choosing to Zumba, swim, Pickleball, walk, etc. instead of *always* hiking.
  • Reading this forum Every. Single. Day. While longing to be back walking. Following FB groups and Insta accounts and loving seeing photos.
  • Daily prayer and Bible reading, because my walk was a walk with God. Not entirely planned, but I can’t *not* have my daily quiet time now.
  • Cooking or buying any Spanish food/drink from wine to tortillas (failed) to tarta De Santiago to cheese…
  • Planning and hoping to walk the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon either next Spring or Fall, but prioritizing healing first. I’ll be back as soon as I can get my body healed and in hiking shape again.
Hope this helps! Buen Camino!

As @Robo said: It sucked.

I had originally planned to walk from SJPdP to Fisterre, but a few days before Santiago I decided I had enough walking and so I bussed to Muxia from Santiago after I had finished. I don't regret that choice, it was right for me at the time. On forums people often said Camino is addictive and I would want to do more, and as I hate being told what I will want, I pushed that aside. I flew to Bilbao to start my holiday after Camino and as soon as I saw the mountains I wanted to start walking again. Every city I went to as a tourist after walking I saw the shells on the sidewalks and arrows and I ached to return. I hate that everyone was right, it is addictive.

The first year is the worst. It wanes a bit after that, but there is still that gnawing at my soul. I had decided when I returned home that I would return this year, 2 years after my first. So that is what I am doing in couple of weeks, but it is a shorter Camino than I what I was planning at the start of this year. Any Camino is better than no Camino.

I think people put too much emphasis and hopes onto finding a Camino Family and having very deep conversations with others. Most of us hold our deepest thoughts, desires and fears close to ourselves and only share them with people we know well. I may share a lot of who I was, or what I have done, but I tend to keep my self shielded. I did learn a lot about myself while walking my 34 days and I had a lot of alone time to think and to allow my mind to wander where it would.

As I have only walked a long Camino and am about to walk a short Camino, I have concerns about not being able to get into the zone of it lol. But being aware that my ego is in my way it should be easier to push it aside, or take it by the hand and encourage it to appreciate the very few short days we will have walking.

After Camino is hard. It gets easier. It gets harder. It gets easier again. It is always there, waiting for you to return to walking, and even just to pick up the memory and hold that again.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey folks, I know this topic has probably been talked about before, and some of you might have already shared your thoughts on it. But I wanted to start a new conversation just to freshen things up 😄.

So, I'm a newbie when it comes to the Camino. I kicked things off in Sarria on September 27, walked about 100km, and then did the Cee-Muxia route for 40km in 3 days. I'd say I spent about 60% of my nights in pensions or hotels and the other 40% in albergues.

The reason I decided to embark on this journey is because I'm about to move to a new country for an exciting job opportunity and a whole new life next year. I am currently taking a career break after quitting my last job. I felt like this was the perfect time to hit the reset button and reflect on everything that's happened and what's coming up in my life. In two days, I'll be flying back to Canada, and the mix of emotions about returning to reality is pretty intense, and I believe these feelings can be broken down into five areas:

Not quite, but some of them have improved. Going on this roughly two-week walk has been a bit of a luxury, giving me plenty of free time to ponder life. I intended to cherish this time and disconnect from the outside world, but a couple of things got in the way:
- “Real-life distractions” - I did my best to set aside my daily life and not constantly check my phone, but it’s not easy. Some issues back home did demand my attention while I was walking, so I dealt with them once I reached my accommodation.
- “Phone distractions” - While my phone was a lifesaver for navigation, it could also be a distraction from the beautiful nature around me. I found myself texting friends and someone I was thinking about (one of the reasons I did the Camino) while I was walking, which disrupted the peaceful rhythm of this walking meditation.

I think this one is related to my first point. 100km from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela felt like a warm-up. I didn’t feel the “real” Camino until the Cee-Muxia route where I could truly enjoy the alone time, the magnificent sunsets in Fisterra & Muxia and nature on my own. I believe part of the reasons is the last 100km of Camino Frances was a bit too crowed so it didn’t give me that “solitude” vibe I was expecting, and 7 days of hike simply was not long enough to have any kind of emotional resolution in my opinion.

3. First-timer
As a first timer, I had a lot of concerns such as: How many KM can I actually walk? What if I get injured? What if I can’t find the accommodations? What if my phone die..? What if… many of them

I was expecting way more “in-depth” conversation with other pilgrims before coming to the Camino this time, but what I actually got is way more “inner conversation” with myself. Not a bad thing at all, really! But I was wondering if part of it is due to the route I chose, where I started and time spent in private rooms. I was a bit reserved to open up to others for some reasons.

5. Language barrier
I learned Spanish on Duolingo for 2 months to prepare this walk and I thought I know enough to get by…not until I came here then realized Galician speak too fast for me to follow😅.

I found myself in many situations having to speak English with the locals asking for direction/ordering food/checking in and I really didn’t want to do it. I am one of those people who would love to speak the local languages wherever I travel to, because I believe speaking their languages is a way to show respect to the local culture and people there, especially when many of them don’t speak very fluent English.

However, put all of above aside. I did learned a lot from this trip and enjoyed my time. I’ve also met many wonderful and kind locals and pilgrims which made this 14-day journey even more memorable. This journey is so wonderful that I wish I could just keep walking and never need to go back to deal with the busy life back home.

I have already started planning for the next Camino, and things I would like to change from my first are:
  • Choose a less popular route such as Primitivo or Central Portuguese, in section by taking one week vacation here and there
  • Pack lighter! I brought a 44L backpack with me this time, and I packed way more sets of clothes than I actually needed :(
  • Just enjoy the Camino experience without having too much worries a first timer may have
Hi Nana,
This is my first post on this forum, but I felt really moved after reading your reflection. I could identify. I walked part of the Portugues (Tui to Santiago) in late May. I was going slowly, so I took two weeks also. I also felt at the end like i had just begun, just started to get into the rhythm of my walking, to not be anxious about all the "first-timer" doubts and questions. I felt like I needed to keep walking and definitely that I want to return to walk a longer time because I heard from several people that the experience and feeling you have from walking a longer camino is different, which I can definitely imagine. I'm hoping to do the Frances (maybe) next Oct/Nov. at a time it is hopefully not too crowded. I also didn't expect so much alone time but I am so so so grateful now! I was able to reflect more and go deeper into myself than if I walked more with people (I think it was probably 70/30). I tend to be a shy person in new situations, so at first that was a big challenge for me... I had to observe the camino "culture" before I could be vulnerable enough to take the initiative in relating to other people. Staying in the albergues definitely helps; I found the private ones to be smaller and more conducive to interaction and a sense of community, but others may have a very different experience about that. Not all my conversations were deep ones, and sometimes the time I spent with someone was not long at all but their words would stay with me. I met two camino friends who I really connected with and we continue to be in contact. (I didn't have the kind of experience people sometimes talk about, of their "camino family", but it didn't bother me.) I read on some forum about someone who described their experience at the beginning of the Portuges, saying they felt they "had to keep their pilgrim in their backpack" because they weren't yet finding the right people with hom they could share on the level they were wishing for, and I still think back to those words. All in all, it was such a rich experience, and I think you continue unpacking it and learning from it and having new insights, way after you get back. I think where you are "at" now is just the beginning of things and you'll continue to find ways that you have changed, or are seeing life in a new way. At the end of my camino, I felt not so much changed as that I was "more myself", and from this perspective now, I do see changes, mostly in my innerworld rather than my outside life. I heard in a reflection session at the end that "the camino starts now," which I didn't really understand then but do understand more now. Each person has their path and their meaning - it's the right one for you, and you have the next camino, or your "caminos" at home, to continue to make meaning. 💜

Thank you everyone for sharing your story and experience with me here!

I am really moved by the Camino community we created together on this forum.

I am waiting for my paella to be packed somewhere in Madrid and really miss Spain already. But I will come back soon!

3. First-timer

5. Language barrier

Post-Camino blues are not uncommon, as I'm sure you have noticed on this forum.

After my first Camino, I wanted to do it again "sometime in the future" but I was young, establishing my life, and it faded further and further into the background as I started my career and family. I guess I discovered it again heading into my mid-life. I ended up walking it again decades later with my teenage son. After that I was hooked. It wasn't long after I got back that I was planning my next and getting involved in the local Camino community. Those are two ways that many people alleviate the post-Camino blues.

I see from your profile that you hail from Toronto. The Toronto Camino Community is holding its fall meeting November 4, if you are interested. Feel free to DM me for more details.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Most of us hold our deepest thoughts, desires and fears close to ourselves and only share them with people we know well.

I found quite the opposite to be true! For me, it was exactly the anonymity of the Camino that made it easier to share my deepest thoughts, fears or regrets – as I would likely never meet the other pilgrims again.
In daily life, there is always the "What will they think of me?", "Will they really keep my secret?" or the fear of being told "I told you so!", while on Camino I found it so liberating that people didn't have any preconceived opinion about me. I could open up far easier than in "real life". This doesn't mean I had this type of interaction with everybody, but a few times I felt I could be vulnerable, and people were wonderful and completely un-judgemental.

3. First-timer

5. Language barrier

@andonius absolutely nailed it for me with this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/last-day-walking-blues.81192/post-1147520

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking from SJPDP last May, things took a bit longer for me than most. Everything did.

It took me about 10 days to start feeling physically accustomed to what I was doing. I had read from so many others that it took them 3 or 4 days for their bodies to adapt and stop hurting. Mine still hurt a week into it, and I was wondering if I wasn't as tough as everyone else.

It took me a couple weeks to get into the rhythm of albergue life.

It took me over a month to really appreciate, and revel in, the glory of walking all day every day through Spain. To lose some of the intensity I seemed to have earlier in the walk. Not sure why, but early on I'd often be walking at far too fast of a pace, and being far too intent on reaching my destination for the day. Rushing for no reason.

By the time I walked into Santiago I felt like I was just starting to really appreciate and understand what this thing was about, and it was now over. I stood in the square looking at the cathedral on that hot sunny day last June, and just kind of felt a bit confused. I shrugged my shoulders and went and checked into my hotel, feeling a bit numb. Some good food and beer over the next couple days there improved my spirits a lot.

I tried to distract myself with a week in Porto on the way home, being a tourist, but with limited success.

I returned home a few months ago, at the peak of a beautiful west coast summer, which helped immensely. Returning on a cold dreary November day would have been much more challenging.

And I lasted about two whole months before starting to plan walking the VDLP. Last week I bought my ticket to Seville, and will be arriving mid-April. Just six short months away! I'm confident that the VDLP will deliver all the things I most enjoyed about the CF. I almost feel like this spring's CF was a warm up for next year's VDLP, where I'm going to be able to apply the learnings from this year so I don't make any of the same mistakes.

So yeah, returning is tough. Each person deals with it in their own way, dictated by their particular life circumstances. No magic solutions, just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other, metaphorically and literally.

Bouncing back to the "reality" from a Camino is somehow hard.
Sometimes it hit's you like a stroke.

Therefore: give the learnings, lessons and changes space and time to settle.
It took me 2 years to get used to the insights I brought back from the Camino.

If you are already planning a second Camino, than you are positively addicted ;-)

Have fun!

Oh yes, a stroke hit me compIetely. Came home two weeks ago from my first Camino Leon – Finestierre. I’ve heard about people suffering Camino Blues, but still I was not prepared for it. The first two days I was “high” on the experience, so full of energi and excitement telling everyone of all I’ve seen and all the wonderful people I’ve met. Surprised over my own strength, had not believe that my legs could walk even longer than planned without any pain, never sore, just tired. I even overcame my “fear of albergues” and got kind of used to it after a week or so, well, after not much sleep, I stayed in private room about 1/3 of the time.

But, then I “falled down”, can’t describe it other way. Lost energi, and parts of my daily life feels now kind of empty. Sometimes feel the people around me are on a different planet, seems they haven’t realize the fact that “you have only one life, make sure you LIVE it fully”, things like all the writings on the stones on the way, things I feel has been an “eye-opener” for myself. Never again will I use time and money on material things not necessary, just on travelling alone and experiences. And, I feel sad. There have been times when I look at all my pictures of people and places and tears are falling of thankfulness and sorrow. Got so emotional suddenly, and can’t live with the thought not doing it again. So now I plan my next witch I think will be Nortre or French again all from the start. And I’ve agreed with my employer time off 4 weeks in next coming May. Thankful of being so privileged being able to and living just a few hours from Spain. The Camino calls again. Its good the feeling is shared, a kind of comfort reading different treads about it. And - now started to learn Spanish :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.