• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things you couldnt have done without on the Camino

amybell

As I am now on a countdown (3 weeks to go) I am getting the last of my bits together and hoping some of you will share your "must haves" with me please!!!! Also any good makes of hiking socks and base layers..... thank you xxxxxx

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You're walking at a lovely time of year, even though the weather this year has been odd. Hopefully you'll just be needing a good sun hat and sun cream in a few weeks time.

Have a great Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi amybell,
People have already told you about safety pins for hanging up laundry and ear plugs, right? Those were the two must haves for me :). And small packets of tissues (which, of course, you can always get in the grocery stores as well). I had to stop every few kms to blow my nose when I walked in May (a couple years ago). Oh, and trekking poles and a good hat.

Have fun packing and planning and Buen Camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If lights/torches bother you then a face mask to cover your eyes for sleeping is very useful. They are often sold as sets with the ear plugs.

Gloves - light neoprene are really nice, and a scarf. I'm 7 days in (left sjpp on April 26), and didn't expect it to be this cold in spring. It snowed most of one day (around Roncevalles).

Försvarets hudsalva.
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Försvarets_hudsalva

The Swedish army's skin salve. It's like a big lip balm, which you can use on the lips, in the face (against frostbite), on the feet (against chafing) and so on. You can eat it, if you like. Best ever. I'm not going anywhere without it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Aarn pack with sports pockets. I know they look weird, but so comfortable and useful.

What I could not have done without....trekking poles. Keen sandals, ear plugs, melatonin.

Nail scissors for nails, plasters, packaging, altering clothes along the way etc, Aloe Vera vaselin for feet, lips, sunburns etc, sarong for scarf, skirt, bed sheet, towel, curtain in front of bunk ... All three are now regulars in my pack. I don't even take them out between walks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Body Glide on my feet before I put my socks on. I had zero blisters.

My trekking poles: great support, good for balancing when crossing streams and mud patches and useful for scaring away dogs.
My sarong: top sheet in overheated dorms, wrap for dressing in not so private showers, curtain for side of bottom bunk, something to wear for that dash back to the pack once undressed in the shower and toiletries have been forgotten!!
Facecloth: cut down micrfibre dishcloth for doing a first dry down after shower to make microfibre travel towel dry more, to help wring out clothes when hand washing, as well as for washing hands and face. Hang off pack during day to dry and for easy access.
Prepaid Spanish SIM in my iphone: purchased before I left home. Could call home anytime for 5mins for free, nearly always had coverage for texting. Did not use it all that much, but my family liked that I could be contactable if need be.

Poles
Safety pins for hemming pants and hanging still-wet laundry on the pack while I walk
Vaseline for feet
Paracetamol
Rain gear

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
lorrainemc said:
Prepaid Spanish SIM in my iphone: purchased before I left home.

How did you buy this before you left Australia?

Hi, visit this website. Scroll down to Spain SIM icon. Delivered from Bannockburn in Victoria in a few short days. Instructions great. Was able to do a "test drive" before I left to make sure it worked.
http://www.mobipassport.com.au/

The right shoe. Water wicking pants. Moisture wicking shirt. Light, durable pack. Pack rain cover. Ball cap.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I am now on a countdown (3 weeks to go) I am getting the last of my bits together and hoping some of you will share your "must haves" with me please!!!! Also any good makes of hiking socks and base layers..... thank you xxxxxx
Silicone ear plugs and travel towel - essentials.

Hola, Pilgrim...
The answer is Glide, which I put on my feet every day so as not to get blisters, wool sock liners and wool outer socks from REI. It's important to take special care of your feet! I didn't have one blister!!
Burn Camino,
Bozzie
(Dee Anne)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walking in late Sept and October -- I will surely take the Glide with me! (I run distance, and have thought this wonderful product might be just the ticket -- good to have confirmation).

Now, to find those good ear plugs!

A few indispensables when I walked last May (33 days from SJdP) My trekking poles; Sock LINERS (a lightweight polyester sock that's worn inside the smartwool socks: I never had a blister); a Goretex coat (very lightweight: saved my skin when it snowed coming down from O Cebreiro); Advil (kept my 61- yr old joints under control. Buen camino!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Although the Spanish farmacias are well stocked with almost every conceivable foot remedy imaginable, I always bring moleskin and molefoam from home because there doesn't seem to be a similar product in Spain (unless I've missed it). I have used one or both of those products on every camino I've walked, at some point or another. Molefoam is especially great for "building up" around a blister to take the pressure off it (assuming there's room in your shoes to do that) and let it heal naturally.

Aside from a basic first aid kit and moleskin/molefoam, I leave the rest at home and buy if the need arises there.

Buen camino, Laurie

Silicone ear plugs and travel towel - essentials.

Depends on the shape of your outer ear. Those silicone plugs never worked for me. What I found in Spain were ototaps -- balls of wax covered with a furry substance that mold to your ear's shape as they heat up. They are cheap, and come in boxes of 8 or 12, I think. They don't block the sound (I don't think any earplug does that), but they do relegate it to the realm of distant ambient noise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Small scissors to cut tape. Home made visor and buff. Bum bag. Small fine gauge food bags used for all sorts of things. Pain killers. Pacer poles, excellent for stability and propulsion, but also to stop hands swelling uncomfortably. What I would take on my next camino - well fitting knee braces. What I took as an extravagance - illuminated mirror and tweezers

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back