• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino - clothing & footwear when done walking for the day

DeeLove

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet.
Hello,

I'm a new member and will be walking from Sarria to Santiago in a couple of weeks. I've been checking the weather and so far it has been showing some rain and chilly, at least for me as I am a Florida resident. My question is, what do you recommend to wear on your feet at the end of the day? I had planned on bringing a sundress and wear flip flops, but it looks like I am going to need pants, and warmer clothes. As far as my feet, I'm not sure what to wear as I want to be able to give them room to breathe and be comfortable while walking around at night. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello,

what do you recommend to wear on your feet at the end of the day? I had planned on bringing a sundress and wear flip flops, but it looks like I am going to need pants, and warmer clothes. As far as my feet, I'm not sure what to wear as I want to be able to give them room to breathe and be comfortable while walking around at night. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

On a cool/cold evening, I wear my silk leggings (longjohns), injinji lightweight toe socks and oofos recovery sandals on my feet and legs. On top, I wear a sundress (that has pockets and a shelf bra) with my long sleeve merino shirt and fleece, if it is cold. Alternate footwear: I bring a pair of sheepskin insoles that are incredibly soft and squishy that I swap into my Topo trail runners.

I wear a pair of leggings and an oversized t-shirt in the evenings with my fleece if cold. For my feet I bought a pair of very lightweight New Balance trainers while in Burgos because it was too cold to wear flip flops at night. These trainers are great because they bend really easy so I could easily fit them in my pack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My next days clothes and flip flops. Make sure you take layers, most days (and I have walked May/June) I started off with all my layers and ended up just in a Tshirt and shorts. But would start the day in a puffer jacket. If it was cold I'd wear my walking sandals with socks.

After I showered in the afternoon I would put on my next days clothing and sandals. I also brought a sleeping outfit - so when it was time for bed I would change again into that. Then next morning I would put the clothing I wore the evening before back on.

Bring things you can layer - when I walked in June/july 2019 there were some cool mornings and even some later evenings where I needed my packable puffy jacket. I usually started the day with my long sleeve shirt over my tshirt - then would peel off the long sleeve as it warmed up. There were also some really exposed sunny days where I needed that long sleeve for sun protection.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My 'evening outfit' is a summer dress when it's warm, light jeans and a linen t-shirt when it's cool. On my feet mostly flipflops but I noticed that walking on cobble stones was difficult, even on very short distances. I bought myself a pair of light sneakers in Sahagún, Victoria-type but from an unknown brand. I now alternate between flipflops and light sneakers.

I have a pair of incredibly lightweight Birkenstock sandals, I think maybe made of EVA foam. Think FEATHER weight. They ride inside the top of my backpack so when arriving at an albergue I can immediately remove my boots and put them on. I wear them to the shower but not in the shower. If they get wet, usually do, from spashing from the shower, they dry off with one wipe. Then I wear them the rest of the evening around town with socks. Cobblestones no problem. Great cushioning. I would trust them to ford a creek if I ever have to do that again (SOAKED boots on the del Norte).

I bought them at REI for $50 a year or two ago. REI doesn't carry them anymore but has a very similar product of another brand. But my wife ordered a pair directly from Birkenstock a couple of months ago. Price is up a little but the shipping was free. Buen Camino

On a cool/cold evening, I wear my silk leggings (longjohns), injinji lightweight toe socks and oofos recovery sandals on my feet and legs. On top, I wear a sundress (that has pockets and a shelf bra) with my long sleeve merino shirt and fleece, if it is cold. Alternate footwear: I bring a pair of sheepskin insoles that are incredibly soft and squishy that I swap into my Topo trail runners.
Parenthetically, how did your topo’s do?
I plan on wearing them in June on Camino.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Parenthetically, how did your topo’s do?
I plan on wearing them in June on Camino.
Buen Camino!
I LOVED my Topos (ultraventure 2). They have a wide toe box like Altras but have a 5cm drop, which is much better for my chronic shin splints and touch of plantar’s fasciitis than zero drop. I bought two identical pairs in case I wore them out on the Portuguese central last month. But that pair still has plenty of life. I wore saucony peregrine Ice last year on the Frances, which I liked but I’m completely sold on Topos now. Swapping in and out insoles is my jam, but I didn’t need to swap out topo insoles for the Camino (just swapped in my cushy sheepskin insoles on cold wet evenings).

I usually wore a lightweight merino dress and sandals in the afternoons or evenings. With leggings and my merino zip hoodie if it was chilly. Sometimes I wore socks with my sandals if it was very chilly. Socks and sandals are the official uniform of après Camino :D

Sarah,

That's great information. I was thinking of something cozy and squishy for my feet too. I'm going to get myself a pair. Thank you. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I usually wore a lightweight merino dress and sandals in the afternoons or evenings. With leggings and my merino zip hoodie if it was chilly. Sometimes I wore socks with my sandals if it was very chilly. Socks and sandals are the official uniform of après Camino :D

Thank you. I was on the same line of thinking with socks and some type of comfortable sandal. Thanks. :)

Like many others stated here I would wear "tomorrow's clothings" after I showered. Inside Albergue I would wear nice soft memory-foam Skechers slippers and no socks. If I did venture out I would put 'tomorrow socks; on and my Keen Sandals (I actually had 3 pairs of footwear - hiking boots, and the afore-mentioned Sandals & Slippers)
.... Yes I can hear the "weightwatchers crowd" gasp 🙃

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a pair of incredibly lightweight Birkenstock sandals, I think maybe made of EVA foam. Think FEATHER weight. They ride inside the top of my backpack so when arriving at an albergue I can immediately remove my boots and put them on. I wear them to the shower but not in the shower. If they get wet, usually do, from spashing from the shower, they dry off with one wipe. Then I wear them the rest of the evening around town with socks. Cobblestones no problem. Great cushioning. I would trust them to ford a creek if I ever have to do that again (SOAKED boots on the del Norte).

I bought them at REI for $50 a year or two ago. REI doesn't carry them anymore but has a very similar product of another brand. But my wife ordered a pair directly from Birkenstock a couple of months ago. Price is up a little but the shipping was free. Buen Camino
Jerry,

Thank you so much for responding. I'm getting some great information from the members.

Jerry,

Thank you so much for responding. I'm getting some great information from the members.
Like many others stated here I would wear "tomorrow's clothings" after I showered. Inside Albergue I would wear nice soft memory-foam Skechers slippers and no socks. If I did venture out I would put 'tomorrow socks; on and my Keen Sandals (I actually had 3 pairs of footwear - hiking boots, and the afore-mentioned Sandals & Slippers)
Thank you. I like the slipper idea too.

I didn't know Skechers made slippers. i will check this out. Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah I was actually taken by surprise myself when I saw them. Dont even remember where I got them; had to be 2019 or so...
They more or less resemble the beach slip-ons. I will tell you that my feet LOVED them at the end of the day :)

Attachments

• 20230510_164242.jpg
    20230510_164242.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 7
For clothing - everything I hike in, is fair game for wearing in the evening/sleep. I put on my clean clothes in the afteroon after I shower, and usually wear the same clothe to sleep and walk the next day. Then when I arrive in the afternoon - I take my shower and put on the clean clothes that I will wear in the evening, during sleep, and then the next day while I walk.

I have shorts/silk yoga pants for bottoms - both of which are comfortable to sleep in.

I have a tank (the one item I don't sleep in because it has a built in bra), a tshirt, a long sleeve t-shirt, and a hiking dress (which I will wear with or without my shorts/yoga pants depending on weather/comfort). All of which I alternate as I want/need to.

As for evening shoes - I personally bring Tevas or Xero shoes - lightweight, can air out my feet in the evening, they can go in the shower if I need them to, and if necessary - I can hike in them. That said - while I don't wear socks with sandals at home - I always wear toe socks with my sandals on the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm the guy wearing hiking sandals with socks and my sleeping clothes in the evening. Adding just a pair of hiking shorts and maybe a fleece jacket on chillier evenings.

You don't get style points for walking the Camino and locals anyways you know you are a tourist. Might as well look like one :D

For a more in depth look into my gear list, I put together this blog post:
https://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/04/12/gear-packing-list-camino/

Hello,

I'm a new member and will be walking from Sarria to Santiago in a couple of weeks. I've been checking the weather and so far it has been showing some rain and chilly, at least for me as I am a Florida resident. My question is, what do you recommend to wear on your feet at the end of the day? I had planned on bringing a sundress and wear flip flops, but it looks like I am going to need pants, and warmer clothes. As far as my feet, I'm not sure what to wear as I want to be able to give them room to breathe and be comfortable while walking around at night. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Looks like you have plenty of good advice, but I will add my two cents as well. We walked the Camino Frances in stages over a period of six years. So we walked in a variety of conditions. What worked best for me (both for dinner and church services) was a hiking dress, cotton scarf, and pair of Chacos sandals. When the weather was chilly, I wore a long-sleeved t-shirt under the dress. Sometimes I wore a pair of leggings as well. The scarf could be worn around my neck, my shoulders, or my waist. The nice thing about the Chacos is that I could adjust them to go over even the thickest socks, plus I even wore them for hiking when the terrain wasn't too rough. Buen Camino!

Hello,

I wore a casual dress (w leggings) in the evenings with teva sandals and a zip up fleece if it was chilly. On a different trek I wore Skecher sneakers. The light weight stretchy kind. My experience on the Camino in June is that it can be warm. And good heavy Tevas can be worn with socks if it's chilly out. I always have flip flops too. Especially for showers.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.