• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time to allow for Camino Frances

DavelinaJolie

Hello, I've recently decided that this year I'm going to walk the 780km from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago (and to be honest, I'd like to carry on to Finisterre). I was wondering, including flights and rest days what kind of timeframe would I be looking at? I need to think about getting the holiday booked at work before everyone else gets in! I was thinking a starting day midway through September? Are there going to be issues with Albergues being closed? And is there a good time of the week to Arrive?

I've done a lot of reading of these forums and websites in general as I think about undertaking this task. I'm the kind of person who likes to be prepared to an OCD degree, but aside from the basic logistics of it and getting some training in over the spring/summer, I don't want to do that with this. It's important for me to step out of my own world and into something alien to embrace the experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My daughter and I walked from SJPP to Muxia and Finisterre in 34 days, without any rest days, averaging 27 km per day. Most people allow for some rest days, but we didn't feel the need to stop. Some days, especially during the first couple of weeks were very hard for me (as a woman of 59 who hadn't hiked before this trip) but eventually the long days became very natural as my feet acclimatised and my pack became less of a burden. Allow for some down time, and if you don't use it along the way, you can spend a few wonderful days discovering Santiago de Compostela at the end of your camino.

You can plan at this site; note that it starts in Roncesvalles, so allow time to get from SJPdP to Roncesvalles:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Two days to get there, two days to get back, four days for Fisterra, and about 35 days for the Camino Frances. Hardy pilgrims do it faster, but they are not the norm! That is 43 days total for a "typical" camino. If you are locked into a "usta", as in "I usta walk twenty miles a day," you are in danger of not allowing enough time. Of course, only you know what you can and want to do.:)

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From start to finish ... Flights, jet lag recovery, walking, rest days ... allow 60 days. Thats more time than is needed .... as opposed to not having enough. Use the extra days to go make like a tourist in other places such as the city your flight leaves from.

Right, that will likely involve me needing to take days off unpaid if that's possible. I'm thinking that with that time frame Fisterra is off the table because I couldn't get that amount of time off work. I should have mentioned that I'm 31 and in decent health, though I do have infrequent back issues (As a result of playing American Football, and I've learnt how to respond to it over the years).

40-42 days sounds reasonable. Like I said I want to train before hand so hopefully that will reduce the need for rest days, but obviously need to be pragmatic and account for them anyway.

Hola

Best advice I would give is to leave it open ended if that is an option for you.
If you are flying intercontinental that is of course not an option due to very high cost, but if you fly within Europe the difference in price from pre-ordering and buying it a week before departure can be worth the removal of stress to arrive at Santiago at a certain time.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

Best advice I would give is to leave it open ended if that is an option for you.
If you are flying intercontinental that is of course not an option due to very high cost, but if you fly within Europe the difference in price from pre-ordering and buying it a week before departure can be worth the removal of stress to arrive at Santiago at a certain time.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Unfortunately that's not an option. I have to give my employers the dates I want off, and as it is I'll be going over my holiday entitlement for the year (25 days paid holiday, plus the 10 days for weekends, so that's 35 days).

...Like I said I want to train before hand so hopefully that will reduce the need for rest days, but obviously need to be pragmatic and account for them anyway.
Injuries aside, I don't think you need rest days. I think when you hear people talk of rest days, it often means they wanted to spend a bit more time in places like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon etc.
40-42 days should be more than enough for SJPP-SDC.
Good luck with your preparations.
Buen Camino
Colin

Unfortunately that's not an option. I have to give my employers the dates I want off, and as it is I'll be going over my holiday entitlement for the year (25 days paid holiday, plus the 10 days for weekends, so that's 35 days).

In which case ... (35 - travel time each way) x 20km per day = distance you can walk. You might be able to walk more but what would be the point?

For me its 3 days each way from Isla Vancouver so (35 - 6) x 20km = 580 km ... a point between Logrono and Burgos, the major transportation hubs. (assuming you want to finish in Santiago) Since I can do a bit more than 20 km per day Logrono at 625 km from Santiago will work out to about 22km per day.

Actually you (likely) have weekend before and after so its 37 days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It took us 43 days from SJPP to Santiago, including three rest days and one sick day. The one sick day was essential. The rest days were appreciated, but optional. We allotted two months, so there was plenty of room to go slowly if needed or wanted. I saw many people who had given themselves a relatively short time to complete the camino and were subsequently anxious about finishing, pushing themselves hard, or needing to skip sections of the camino to finish on time. I am glad we never had to do that, although almost everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves, time limit or not. We started the last week in September, a great time for this walk.

Last edited:
A lot of people like taking it slow, and the definition of slow varies a lot;)

I tend to do longer stages most days, and there are several reasons for it.

I generally get up early, as once the first alarm clocks, lights get turned on/headlight disco, plastic bag rustling starts I am awake. If I want a lie-in, I get a private room.

I walk fairly fast compared to many, not because I'm rushing, but because that is what feels comfortable/natural for me. I generally cover 5km an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less. Most people I have walked with/met with , have used 28 days or less from SJPP to Santiago. If I start when the refugio opens it doors (normally happens as people seem to have their alarm set to go off for 30m before doors open), that means that I have covered 30km some time between noon and 3pm, and I generally find this too early to stop.

If you can manage to get out and do a couple of weekend hikes with a weighted backpack, then see how much distance you comfortably cover per hour, that might give you a better idea of the time that you need to cover the distance. Having a bit of leeway at the end is always nice:)

I wont try to add to the advice already given other than to say if you can make it early September then all the better. I started from Burgos on my second leg Sept 7th. The only problem I had was that every morning the sun came up a little later. I was walking in the dark for longer than I wanted to. Missed some good scenery because of it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wont try to add to the advice already given other than to say if you can make it early September then all the better. I started from Burgos on my second leg Sept 7th. The only problem I had was that every morning the sun came up a little later. I was walking in the dark for longer than I wanted to. Missed some good scenery because of it.
Can I ask around what time is sunrise and sunset in September please?

Can I ask around what time is sunrise and sunset in September please?

22 Sept is Equinox ... Camino is 42 North. Marlborough NZ is 42 South ... so sunrise and sunset are approximately the same as you would experience at your NZ home at that time of year.

Hello, I've recently decided that this year I'm going to walk the 780km from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago (and to be honest, I'd like to carry on to Finisterre). I was wondering, including flights and rest days what kind of timeframe would I be looking at? I need to think about getting the holiday booked at work before everyone else gets in! I was thinking a starting day midway through September? Are there going to be issues with Albergues being closed? And is there a good time of the week to Arrive?

I've done a lot of reading of these forums and websites in general as I think about undertaking this task. I'm the kind of person who likes to be prepared to an OCD degree, but aside from the basic logistics of it and getting some training in over the spring/summer, I don't want to do that with this. It's important for me to step out of my own world and into something alien to embrace the experience.

I walking both caminos consecutively in Sept/Oct 2014 I allowed 45 days including travel and rest days. This included 1 travel day to get over to France and the starting point in SJPdeP, 1 rest day during the Camino Frances and 1 rest day at the very end of my two caminos before flying back home and 1 travel day from Santiago to Ireland.... so basically 40 days walking from SJPdeP in France to Santiago and about 4 or 5 to Finisterre (can't remember!). In truth I could have done with taking two more rest days DURING/BETWEEN my caminos... one more during the Camino Frances and then one before I started my walk from Santiago to Finisterre. If time is no limit I suggest allowing 7 weeks - that way you can take it relatively easy and enjoy the walk without feeling overly rushed :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
22 Sept is Equinox ... Camino is 42 North. Marlborough NZ is 42 South ... so sunrise and sunset are approximately the same as you would experience at your NZ home at that time of year.
Thank you whariwharangi, I guess that means the days will be short then, as NZ is in the depths of winter in September.

Hi Lise T. The very high humidity has certainly been a killer for the last couple of weeks, but longer walks will be more comfortable now we have a change in the weather coming up.

I do like the sound of the 7.30am start - I was getting quite intimidated reading about all these hearty morning people charging out the door before decent people blink. If I start walking before the sun comes up, it will only be by mistake! (But good point, I will remember to turn around). :)

You are 31, reasonably fit and walking alone so you could easily do this in the time you have. There is no norm. Those who walk shorter days will keep meeting up with others sticking to the same pace, so for them that seems the norm. I've tended to average 35km a day on most of my Caminos, because I love to walk late into the evening, and those I saw every day were covering the same distance (obviously!) which to us seemed the norm. I met many more who thought nothing of 40-50km days (these tended to be rangy types from Alpine nations). Of course much depends on your health and energy levels and the weather. Starting before dark is also not necessary unless you are joining the race for a bed, which I strongly recommend you do not! I don't know what time you arrive in SJPdP, but if you could book a room in Orisson for that evening and make an immediate start (after exploring SJPdP, of course) that might help. It's possible to do longer days on the flat Meseta, so you can make up some time there too. Count on two nights in Santiago then three days' walk to Finisterra. I don't know where you're flying from, but if outside Europe you can fly from Santiago direct to London Heathrow to pick up your return flight

dave, i walked the camino frances for sjpdp to santiago and it took me 38 days. i am 67 and i took several rest days including 3 days in santiago to celebrate my walk. i started mid october and finished near end of november. fall is a glorious time to be on the camino. i had no problems finding open facilities. traveling from arkansas to paris it took me three days to get to sjpdp and three days to get back to usa from paris. pack light, break in your walking shoes or boots, and enjoy the ride. ask your employers for an extra week so you have plenty of time. buen camino - lorenzo

Hi ya Kiwi-d....I hope the training is going well in this humidity we have at the moment.

I noticed a big difference with sunrise times as I went across Spain.
When I started at St Jean (19th Aug) it was light 6.45 ish... I started around 7am...but felt by Zubiri I wanted a bit more light to walk by...so waited until 7.30am. I seemed to walk in between the early risers and the late starters and had some wonderful walks by myself.
By the time I got to Santo domingo (early Sept) it was defiantly darker at 7.30am
The evenings still have lots of light in them.

But I remember when I got to Muxia (mid September)...it was pitch black waiting for the bus back to Santiago in the morning and we travelled back with moon light. I think the bus left at 8am. (??)

Some advice......if you start walking before the sun comes up. Dont forget to turn around as there are some amazing views to be seen as the sun pops up.

I agree Lise T. We had a couple days we started before light to go with some friends. I hated it. I like to see where I'm going and what I'm walking past. I liked to start at daybreak. But when we did start early, we always looked back and got some amazing sunrise photos!! We left August 17 from St. Jean. Did you do a blog, Lise T. Would love to see it :)

To the OP, my wife was not the fastest walker, and we completed the Camino in 35 days (counting 1 rest day on her birthday). You should have plenty of time to walk it in 30-33 days (probably even shorter if you want). Just don't rush it, you never know if/when you will be able to do it again. Enjoy the views and the people :)

Jim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hello Fellow Pilgrim
I to plan on starting my Camino this September 16 from SJPP. Our plan is to walk to Santiago and then make the decision to continue or not. From what I have been reading without making it a race it should take about 5 weeks to complete the Camino. we share something that is OCD. I always over do. I have been working on this Camino daily since I first saw the movie The Way this past September. So my Camino will have been one year in the making. I think this is good.
I have the gear we will need, made all the reservations to depart from USA ending in Biarritz. The only open issue I have is getting from Biarritz airport to SJPP in the evening. Not sure what I am going to do but this have me bugged.
Buen Camino hope to see you along the way

Take your time... I like what Whari Wharingi (did I spell that right correctly?) wrote. 2 months from your door back to your door... There is some cool stuff out there. The journey IS the destination... Even if you never make Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started walking about 6:30 every day. At first the sun was coming up between 7 and 7:30. As September wore on it was getting closer to 8. If the skies were cloudy it was stll quite grey after 8. Missed the amazing fountain outside triacastela. Went over on my ankle because I missed a pothole and had a very sore day walking into astorga. Dont know what time sunset was at. The sun was still up when we went into the bar/restaurant at night and I was dark when we came out :). As someone else pointed out, look back at sunrise, more beautiful than sunset

Hi Dave I tink the answer to your problem is answered when you ask yourself the question, why am I doing this?
My wife and I and we are in our sixties did it comfortably in 34 days, but we met a young German who had done several caminos and raced himself bettering his time in each successive journey he was aiming for 26/27 days when we spoke to him near Leon. We are spending 42 days this time no rest days just simply spending the time on the journey. So is your jouney a physical challenge, an emotional challenge, a calling by God, a spiritual challenge, or for some other reason. My suggestion would be not to plan the joy out of it, but let it take you by the hand, and enjoy perhaps the greatest experience of your life.

I took 43 total days to walk from SJPP to Santiago. I am 55 years old and relatively out of shape. Four of those days were spent as complete rest days. Two of those days were relatively short due to inclement weather (7 kilometers and 10 kilometers) and one day was short due to a bad head cold (7 kilometers). On three occasions, I walked more than 30 kilometers in one day. On average, I walked 20 kilometers a day. Nothing spectacular, but the pace allowed me to enjoy myself--to experience the Camino. I met others that were on a strict 30 or 40 kilometer a day regiment. To a person they seemed uptight and unable to relax. In fact, being around them just for a few minutes often made me feel anxious. Their constant chatter about how far they had to walk to maintain their schedule seemed to have them unable to see the forest because of all the trees.

The issue of jet lag depends on where you are coming from. For me, it takes me at least 48 hours to shake changing 9 times zones from North America to Spain.

The issue of how long it takes to get to the Camino also depends on where you are coming from. For me, to get from Seattle, Washington to SJPP, I flew non-stop to Paris (11 hours), took the RER to the Montparnasse train station (1 hour), waited for the next TGV train (2 hours), rode the TGV to Bayonne (4 hours), waited for the train to SJPP (1 hour), rode the train to SJPP (1 hour), and checked in at the Pilgrim office (1 hour wait) before I could fall asleep. I did get up the next morning and walked only to Orisson before calling it a day (did I mention that I am 55 and out of shape?).

Getting from Santiago back home involved taking the bus from Santiago to Madrid, taking a taxi from the bus station to the airport, checking into a soulless business hotel, getting a good night's rest, and catching a direct flight home to Seattle (via JFK).

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
so...as a corollary question to this, and as it is my intent to dawdle along the Way, is it considered bad manners, or against the rules to stay more than one night in any hostel. Or would any one look askance at my credential. The trip is going to be well funded and it is my intention to stay at hotels on occasion.

You may stay more than one night in privately owned and operated hostels. More than likely, you will feel the need to move forward each day even if it only a small distance. While I averaged 20 kilometers a day, I took days off in Leon, Fromista, and O'Cebreiro. I also had three really short days of less than 7 kilometers (twice due to inclement weather and once to a bad head cold). And I got a haircut and played tourist in Astorga.

Don't worry. You will find a rhythm that works for you.

I walked from SJPdP to SdC in 40 days. I took 3 rest days (Estella, Burgos, Leon) and walked at a very leisurely pace. I didn't follow the stages of the Brierly guide book (although I used it and found it to be really good) and did not participate in the "bed race."

I have no real plans of pace or times, if it takes me 30 or 60 days, as long as I have a sort of bed at night and a glass of wine to numb the aches and pains, im sure it will be fine. I just want to enjoy my Camino..

Open ended tickets get really expensive. Here is what my sister and I did to keep things fairly cheap and easy. I know SJPP is the beginning but does it really matter? It is a hassle to get to and costs an extra 400 bucks a person.
1) Bought round trip tickets from DFW to Madrid 39 days apart.
2) Bus outside the Madrid airport runs every 30 minutes and take you to the train station
3) Bought our train tickets on RailEurope website. Flight landed in AM so signed up for the 12:00 train to Pamplona.
4) 3 hour train ride to Pamplona
5) Bus from train station in Pamplona into heart of town. Drops you off about 200 yards from the Camino route.
6) Start walking west or stay the night in Pamplona (465 miles from Pamplona to Santiago)
7) Next to the place you get your diploma in Santiago is a RENFE ticket agency. Bought tickets back to Madrid.
8) Since we made our tickets 39 days apart we had time to sightsee in Santiago and in Madrid.

Hope this helps.

2 of us are taking budgets of $2950 each (not including the $1285 we spent on flights) to go from May 19th-July 10.

We are staying in Madrid for two days, bussing to pamplona (staying for a day because the bus schedules don't seem to mesh) and then getting to SJPP on the 23rd. The trip to SJPP is going to cost us about 50-75 euros each.

Starting our trek on May 24th, it looks as though we will finish around the 4th of July. This is allots a full day in Pamplona, some days of <15km, and 4 days wiggle room to be used at any time. We are planning to spend $200 CAD each per night in Pamplona as a little mental break. We have found flights back from Santiago to Madrid for 35 euros each.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back