• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time to switch?

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
For all of you that are out there, caught up in the bed race, or soon to set out and threading the bed race. There are more caminos to Santiago than the Frances. Please, don't be afraid to switch to another, less frequented, way. There are many Caminos that lead to Santiago! Buen Camino whatever you decide, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmm, starting to consider switching to Camino del Norte. Not sure how to get there from Biarritz, and will need to figure out how to get a new guidebook.

Biarritz to Bilbao should be easily doable and you will be able to buy/find a guide book in Bilbao. Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Biarritz to Bilbao should be easily doable and you will be able to buy/find a guide book in Bilbao. Buen Camino, SY

Or I can order from Amazon next day. Not leaving till Friday morning. Do you have a guidebook you recommend for it?

I am starting the Frances next week and expecting the worst with overcrowding, but will get through it all the same. Will be doing the Portugues later in the summer, so it will be interesting to conpare the two. I anticipate two very different experiences!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, my son seems pretty set on the Camino Frances. Info on the internet seems to be a mixed bag on whether using a tent is a good idea or not. With overcrowding, it seems like they would be pretty open to the idea of people bringing their own place to sleep, though.

Sigh, land in Spain is mostly privately owned and you just can't camp anywhere. Put yourself in the wellingtons of the local Spanish landowner just for a minute or so! SY

Sigh, land in Spain is mostly privately owned and you just can't camp anywhere. Put yourself in the wellingtons of the local Spanish landowner just for a minute or so! SY

I was think more along the lines of camping out in albergue yards. More than willing to pay for it... Never having done the Camino, I don't even know what percentage of albergues even have yards, though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Schildawg
I think SYates is giving a good warning re expectations.
So many beautiful routes to SDC but I think if you have done your research for the Frances and are prepared for the eventuality of it being busy, then you're quite a few steps ahead already.
Just look at the options the night before judging on the roll up each evening. If you aren't on the top of the wave you may not even notice a problem. If you are in the thick of it, look at options to move a bit more slowly for a day or two . I really wouldn't load myself with the extra weight of camping on the Frances. You probably won't use it and there are many options if alburgues are full. Just don't panic.
Buen Camino. Enjoy your first Camino. I'm sure you'll try another route next time.
I think it's great that SYates with her wealth of experience is always looking ahead for others. Thankyou.
Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My tent is about 2lbs and my total weight is about 15lbs lighter than I carried for 300 miles on the Appalachian a year and a half ago, so I'm not too worried about the weight.

I do appreciate the advice, though :)

The Camino is very, very different from a long distance trail like the AT. You will cross nearly always land that belongs to somebody - so tenting wild isn't really an option and/or would require to ask permission first (how good is your Spanish?) Buen Camino, SY

The Camino is very, very different from a long distance trail like the AT. You will cross nearly always land that belongs to somebody - so tenting wild isn't really an option and/or would require to ask permission first (how good is your Spanish?) Buen Camino, SY

I wouldn't say it's that great... I have been studying Duolingo for a few months and it says I know 1500 words. I could probably get something broken out like: "Mi hijo con yo tenemos tienda de campaña. Podemos quedar en su patio?" Do you think they would understand, lol?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wouldn't say it's that great... I have been studying Duolingo for a few months and it says I know 1500 words. I could probably get something broken out like: "Mi hijo con yo tenemos tienda de campaña. Podemos quedar en su patio?" Do you think they would understand, lol?

That will do it.
Even better: "Mi hijo y yo tenemos tienda de campaña. ¿Podemos quedarnos en su patio?"

Yes, hearing lots of reports right now of albergues being full all up and down the Camino Frances. Don't freak out, and don't feel pressured to book a place every single night, but it's good to be aware of the situation and think through what you'll want to do if you get into a town and the albergues are "completo". Will you spend more and find a hostal (a type of lodging with private rooms) or hotel? Will you walk on? Stay a couple nights in a town and let a wave of pilgrims pass by so you can start out the next day behind them? Switch to a different route? Of course, it can totally depend on the day, town, how you feel, etc. but it's good to be emotionally and mentally prepared for different circumstances. It's Holy Year so it's a special year to walk! Don't race and stay joyful :)
Buen Camino to all who are starting soon!
Faith
P.S. @SYates You're quite busy and prolific today!!! :) <3

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmm, starting to consider switching to Camino del Norte. Not sure how to get there from Biarritz, and will need to figure out how to get a new guidebook.
Perhaps you get to the Norte by walking???

In 2018, my youngest son and I start from the cathedral in Bayonne, will walk to Biarritz, and thence towards the Norte.

SYates, I decided to do the Frances after so many posted on here about it being the best to do as a first camino... Now I'm getting anxious about beds and crowds and am rethinking my plan. I begin on July 4 at SJPdP and am committed to walk at least to Leon on the Frances. If I find it too crowded and unmanageable I think that I could bus up to Oviedo to instead do the Primitivo. I really don't want to have to book beds ahead as it seems is becoming necessary on the Frances. Any wprds of wisdom for me?
I am getting rather anxious after reading the numerous posts about crowds, completo towns and prebookings.
Thanks for sharing your insights!

Train from Bayonne to Irún (or Hendaye, it is the other city just accross the border, not far). It is the beginning of Norte.

I'm just outside of Leon now. I am booking ahead many nights because I'm slow to leave in the morning (for example, here I am writing this) and like to take my time walking, so by the time I get to town late in the day, I want to be sure of a bed. Having said that--I am often walking alone with no one else visible, because I am behind the crowd. And staying off the guidebook end points most nights.
As to camping--I have met a couple of experienced campers here who are camping part of the time. They know how to pitch their tents in out of the way places, and are up and out early. They feel it gives them flexibility. There is a lot of open land here. I know it's owned, but there is no farmhouse near. I'm not saying to do it, just saying that a few are camping some of the time.

SYates, I decided to do the Frances after so many posted on here about it being the best to do as a first camino... Now I'm getting anxious about beds and crowds and am rethinking my plan. I begin on July 4 at SJPdP and am committed to walk at least to Leon on the Frances. If I find it too crowded and unmanageable I think that I could bus up to Oviedo to instead do the Primitivo. I really don't want to have to book beds ahead as it seems is becoming necessary on the Frances. Any wprds of wisdom for me?
I am getting rather anxious after reading the numerous posts about crowds, completo towns and prebookings.

Actually you have given yourself the answer already. Start in SJPdP, see how it goes and if it is too crowded for you, take the bus to Oviedo and continue from there. Sounds like a good approach to me. Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I start in July in Salamanca and I hope it will be hot enough that it will not be crowded ;)
Last year I started thinking that the Camino, as it is now, is no longer for me. Then I needed some time to "switch" and found the same as it is written by SYates ..... :)
I can not wait, Camino fever is back!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You should be safe from crowds in July on the Plata, but do take enough water! Buen Camino, SY

If you get to Leon and wish to then switch to the Primitivo why not walk Leon to Oviedo? This is the Camino San Salvador, extremely beautiful, very quiet and my favorite Camino so far. It takes about six days.

Buen Camino!
Davey

If you get to Leon and wish to then switch to the Primitivo why not walk Leon to Oviedo? This is the Camino San Salvador, extremely beautiful, very quiet and my favorite Camino so far. It takes about six days.

Buen Camino!
Davey
It depends on time. I only have 33 walking days but it is a very tempting option. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It depends on time. I only have 33 walking days but it is a very tempting option. Thanks!

Am old Spanish saying translated:

'He who travels to Santiago and not to El Salvador honors the servant and not the Master'

Hope you can make the Salvador, but you will love the Primitivo!

Whatever you decide
Buen Camino!
Davey

Please said:
Thinking of doing just that. My sister & I are arriving CF may 22 for our 1st Camino. Initially I looked at Primitivo but persuaded to CF by infrastructure. We are 60ish & our stages initially will be short (10 miles or less) so CF seemed best. For us it's a spiritual journey so crowds aren't ideal.
So....Would it be possible to walk Primitivo in shorter stages? Is it a good alternative? Changing at last minute is nerve wracking to me but trying to stay open.
Thanks for your wisdom.

Last edited:
That's the approach my son and I agreed on last night. We are going to start the Frances and see how it goes. If the first few days are unbearable we will head up and do the Primitivo.

The Camino San Salvador sounds intriguing. Will have to look into that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am starting the Frances next week and expecting the worst with overcrowding, but will get through it all the same. Will be doing the Portugues later in the summer, so it will be interesting to conpare the two. I anticipate two very different experiences!
same mate I start next week and just going to go with it..there will plenty of people to speak to and meet..and what a experience

I just want to take it a day at a time, and not have to try to reserve days in advance. And I am not going to rush the hike either. We are good wherever we can find a place to lay our heads, be that an albergue, hostel, monastery, in our tents, or even under a bridge if we have to.

Please, be careful with camping on private ground. We should think on future pilgrims, not just on us. The best support one pilgrim can find is the local people, let's try not to annoy them jumping out of the law.

Camping rules, whether they allow it or not, are meant to be applied on public ground.

On the most of spanish ground is allowed to camp one night, between dusk and dawn, but the problem is that there's not a common regulation for the whole country. Every region has its own, and sometimes even every municipality has it.

If somebody's planning to carry a tent, please, find out about where it is possible to camp calling to the municipal/regional information office of the area where it is planned to stay at.

Let's make it nice, let's think on the future.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm, starting to consider switching to Camino del Norte. Not sure how to get there from Biarritz

Train to Hendaye (on the French side of the border) with www.sncf.com Once in Hendaye, walk to Irún (on the Spanish side of the border) or take an Euskotren (www.euskotren.eus) train from Hendaye to Irún (they depart from a tiny train station on the parking of the train station used by the SNCF).

If schedule suits you, www.pesa.net has a bus from Biarritz to Irún (on working days from Monday to Friday) and can be another option.

Perhaps you get to the Norte by walking???

In 2018, my youngest son and I start from the cathedral in Bayonne, will walk to Biarritz, and thence towards the Norte.

There's a camino de Santiago route out of Bayonne: the Vía de Bayona. You can take from Bayonne to Irún and once in Irún decide whether to continue on the Vía de Bayona (that shares the route with the CAmino Vasco del Interior till Estavillo) or on the Camino del Norte.

Another walking option out is the Sentier du littoral from Bidart to Hendaye.

I start in July in Salamanca and I hope it will be hot enough that it will not be crowded

From Salamanca onwards it isn't as hot as from Sevilla to Salamanca (well, maybe except if you happen to find a hot day in Ourense) but, depending on what sort of temperatures you are used to, you can find it hot enough on some stretches.

This year I am starting September 15th on the camino d'Arles from Oloron Ste. Marie in southern France, to spend more time walking through the Pyrenees. I love mountains and although I am starting a couple of weeks earlier than last year I hope that the altitude (the pass is higher than the Napoleon) will keep the temperature fairly cool. From the Somport Pass, I shall be travelling west on the camino Aragones, to join the Frances at Puenta la Reina at some point in early October. I have heard that, for no known reason, the Aragones, which has a good camino infrastructure, is currently little traveled. I have read The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, which starts at Somport, describing all the villages, churches and other monuments between there and Puenta la Reina (and onward to Santiago). It seems like a fascinating extension to the Frances. I anticipate decent weather and no crowds onward to Santiago. I estimate a 900 km. walk in total in pleasant weather conditions and with no crowds. Anyone reading this is welcome to join the route, but don't publicize it too widely.

I concur with those that have tried to discourage camping. Last July, we carried a tent from St. Jean to Leon, used it twice, then sent it home. The Camino simply doesn't lend itself to tenting. The albergue is part (and I think one of the key parts) of the Camino experience.
Put yourself in the wellingtons of the local Spanish landowner
I especially like this one S Yates.

I'm planning on the VDLP in Oct/Nov and too read of the rush for beds with a little concern. Sure, my dates and particular route should void out this concern, but I guess my ego needs something to ponder. I'll just have to read my own advice and "go with the flow."

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear all,
I really need some advise....

I am leaving tomorrow for the South of France, starting to walk this Friday. I am recovering from a burn-out, so I have some nervous issues and also know that on good days I will be able to walk a lot on the bad ones no....

So, I planned to start walking from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Orisson to take it easy on the first stage, but this seems no option now.
(For those who want details: I did make a reservation by mail and got no answer, then called and they tell me just now that they are fully booked (and also very unfriendly and not willing to help on the phone :'( )

I also have read your messages here about how busy it is now on (the first part of?) the camino and I am really worried. If there is one very thing that really makes me nervous it is not being sure to have a place to rest. (of course)

I am not bound to any date and I just want to walk, let's say a month and see where I can get. For some reason I'd like to stay on the Camino Frances. Maybe I have to change my plans and take a bus, and start from somewhere else, maybe where its' less crowded after the Pyerenees? Logroño? Or change to the North Route?
Can you give me any advise?
Thanks a million.............!

Is it important for you to arrive this year in Santiago? If not, you could always start in France, for example on the Arles route - very beautiful! Buen Camino, SY

Another option:
The Camino Aragones (Somport-Puente la Reina) has had less pilgrims every year, since 2009.
See here and here (sorry, only in Spanish).
Apparently it has some practical problems (some highways crossings), and the infrastructure and signposting is not as good as in other jacobean ways. It is just not as "domesticated".
It used to be a natural and popular option, specially for those coming from Lourdes (Piedmont way) or from Arles and Toulouse (south of France). They meet in Oloron-Sainte Marie and walk to Somport.
Last year I met in Oloron many pilgrims who intended to do the Aragones for a second time, and they told me about pleasant landscapes, picturesque villages, and a quiet, not crowded walk "as it was in older times".

Last edited:

€83,-
I did the Aragones several times, the last time in 2006, it is indeed beautiful! Buen Camino, SY

Hi All,

I'm hoping to start in June and is looking more promising now. Reading about the rush etc, I'm beginning to see the increase probability of having to divert from my plan to walk the Frances route, even if it is mid way. I am more than happy to switch to the North route but also read somewhere that the North route although offering spectacular views, more serene and quiet experience etc (which is appealing in many ways) also stated that due to the scarcity of Albergues, one is advised to be self sufficient and preferably having a tent!!

I am wondering if that's truly the case because it means having to lug camping gears along so that there no need purchase everything along the way. Plus, I'm sure the pack wll then be heavier too. I do know how to pitch a tent and do those backcountry stuff by myself but I'm not sure if it is a safe and respectful practice along the route for a lone female walker. As much as I'm open to changes, I clearly did not foresee having to camp out as part of the deal in the event of any impromptu changes.

Thanks in advance for your kind advise.

We walked the Aragonés several years ago and found it beautiful, interesting and quiet. Jaca is a town somewhat similar to Pamplona as to 'what to see'. The museum is one of the most interesting that I have visited, full of Romanic remains, taken from abandoned churches of that period and reconstructed in the museum.

€83,-
We walked the Aragonés several years ago and found it beautiful, interesting and quiet. Jaca is a town somewhat similar to Pamplona as to 'what to see'. The museum is one of the most interesting that I have visited, full of Romanic remains, taken from abandoned churches of that period and reconstructed in the museum.

Hopefully I`ll experience and see how the Aragones will look like during winter time! :eek::confused::):cool::D

Dear all,

I am leaving tomorrow for the South of France, starting to walk this Friday.
So, I planned to start walking from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Orisson to take it easy on the first stage, but this seems no option now.
For some reason I'd like to stay on the Camino Frances.!

Something to consider ...
From Bayonne, catch the morning bus to St Palais and start walking from there to SJPP. There is a hill with stunning views with a chapel, fountain and a bench to rest on while looking at the stunning views. You can stop for the night at Ostebat where two caminos converge and it's an easy first day. Second day gets you to SJPP.
From SJPP take the Valcarlos route and spend a night there. This positions you for a fairly early arrival at Roncesvalles, or you would still have time and energy to move beyond Roncesvalles.

While the Napolean route is stunning in good weather, that hill south of St Palais is my favourite spot on the entire Le Puy to Santiago route.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My tent is about 2lbs and my total weight is about 15lbs lighter than I carried for 300 miles on the Appalachian a year and a half ago, so I'm not too worried about the weight.

I do appreciate the advice, though :)

if you take your tent please post, i've just bought a Wild Country Zephyros 1 Tent By Terra Nova and was thinking of carrying it just in case i get stuck and require it out in the country side after asking permission from framer or police of course. i'm in two minds, but i like SY advice and may now try some where different.

if you take your tent please post, i've just bought a Wild Country Zephyros 1 Tent By Terra Nova and was thinking of carrying it just in case i get stuck and require it out in the country side after asking permission from framer or police of course. i'm in two minds, but i like SY advice and may now try some where different.

Excellent tent, I have one and carried it from Geneva to Finisterre and used it often! Will be carrying it again this year too.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dear all,

I am leaving tomorrow for the South of France, starting to walk this Friday. I am recovering from a burn-out, so I have some nervous issues and also know that on good days I will be able to walk a lot on the bad ones no....

(For those who want details: I did make a reservation by mail and got no answer, then called and they tell me just now that they are fully booked (and also very unfriendly and not willing to help on the phone :'( )

I also have read your messages here about how busy it is now on (the first part of?) the camino and I am really worried. If there is one very thing that really makes me nervous it is not being sure to have a place to rest. (of course)

I am not bound to any date and I just want to walk, let's say a month and see where I can get. For some reason I'd like to stay on the Camino Frances. Maybe I have to change my plans and take a bus, and start from somewhere else, maybe where its' less crowded after the Pyerenees? Logroño? Or change to the North Route?
Can you give me any advise?
Thanks a million.............!

Good Luck, i plan to start my journey about the 4th of July more or less the same direction as you so i'm interested in how you get on, please keep posting

enjoy your Camino

If you are really, really concerned carry a sleeping pad only and sleep in a church porch/fronton or similar if necessary. A tent is overkill, Buen Camino, SY

I actually agree with SY, a tent isn't needed and adds a lot of unnecessary weight and in summer you only need a rollmat in emergencies. But I'm weird and liked my tent. I hardly used it on the Frances though, it was just never needed, it was either too warm to bother with it, or I found somewhere better to sleep, like a comfy bed! On those lonely quiet routes though....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This year I am starting September 15th on the camino d'Arles from Oloron Ste. Marie in southern France, to spend more time walking through the Pyrenees. I love mountains and although I am starting a couple of weeks earlier than last year I hope that the altitude (the pass is higher than the Napoleon) will keep the temperature fairly cool. From the Somport Pass, I shall be travelling west on the camino Aragones, to join the Frances at Puenta la Reina at some point in early October. I have heard that, for no known reason, the Aragones, which has a good camino infrastructure, is currently little traveled. I have read The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, which starts at Somport, describing all the villages, churches and other monuments between there and Puenta la Reina (and onward to Santiago). It seems like a fascinating extension to the Frances. I anticipate decent weather and no crowds onward to Santiago. I estimate a 900 km. walk in total in pleasant weather conditions and with no crowds. Anyone reading this is welcome to join the route, but don't publicize it too widely.
After what is posted on this thread it sounds like you may have an angel on your shoulder! I envy your blessing of French.

I actually agree with SY, a tent isn't needed and adds a lot of unnecessary weight and in summer you only need a rollmat in emergencies. But I'm weird and liked my tent. I hardly used it on the Frances though, it was just never needed, it was either too warm to bother with it, or I found somewhere better to sleep, like a comfy bed! On those lonely quiet routes though....

So leave the tent and Just a roll mat ? I was thinking its gonna be warm and a tent my not get used, (but i'll find plenty of uses for my tent here in ireland, "the wild atlantic way" for sure is on my bucket list)

joef

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree just wait and see when you get there. I start from Lourdes on June 5 and I know this section is very lonely one. when I get to SJPP will see not too worried at present. Plus I usually don't get a Compostela so whether I get to Compostela is another question. With 43 days to do what I want can switch. Be hopeful and don't worry fellow pilgrims, get on that road and play it by ear.

I just want to take it a day at a time, and not have to try to reserve days in advance. And I am not going to rush the hike either. We are good wherever we can find a place to lay our heads, be that an albergue, hostel, monastery, in our tents, or even under a bridge if we have to.
Thats the spirit fellow pilgrim. I find reserving just not part of how I want to make my Camino. When I did the first in 2008 it was unheard of, nor was there the sound of cell phones. The Camino has changed and dare say not for the better.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For all of you that are out there, caught up in the bed race, or soon to set out and threading the bed race. There are more caminos to Santiago than the Frances. Please, don't be afraid to switch to another, less frequented, way. There are many Caminos that lead to Santiago! Buen Camino whatever you decide, SY
I started March 26th on my first C. Frances. By the time I got to the Meseta it was more populated than I expected. From Sarria it was busier of course - there were lots of young people who I assumed had just finished school, and I began to wonder what it might be like in July! In Santiago, I met Ivar very briefly and during a short chat I asked him about the bicycles - there seemed to be a lot of them crowding onto the narrower Galician paths among us walkers. He said that others had mentioned that too.

I'm glad I went early in the year, although I was too early for The Napolean route through The Pyrenees.

It was a wonderful experience but I'm thinking of walking part of the Via Francigena next time, from Florence to Rome. I understand it's more remote, not well signposted, less popular, less populated.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm spinning this question out into its own thread:

Which of the alternative Caminos is a good pick for a couple with old lungs and bad knees?
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/old-lungs-bad-knees-which-camino.40868/

¡Gracias!

@Prentiss Riddle:
Of the alternative caminos, the Aragones looks good to me, but I have not walked it yet - I start in September. There seems to be little altitude variation and good accommodation. It is not a very busy route at present, so little chance of not finding a bed. I am 68, with bad knees but reasonable lungs, and it looks good to me. Those who have already walked it can tell you more.

@Prentiss Riddle:
Of the alternative caminos, the Aragones looks good to me, but I have not walked it yet - I start in September. There seems to be little altitude variation and good accommodation. It is not a very busy route at present, so little chance of not finding a bed. I am 68, with bad knees but reasonable lungs, and it looks good to me. Those who have already walked it can tell you more.

If you choose the Aragones, start at Jaca, the descend from Somport is not kind on dodgy knees. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back