• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tired pilgrim needs advice.

Richo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2014; Via Podiensis 2017.
Hi from Pamplona. Enjoying the trip immensely but struggling with my fitness.
I started in St Jean on the 13th September - took two days to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos, then then Zubiri and arrived in Pamplona last night. Have carried my own pack (poorly fitting, 8 kg) all the way except from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles.
I was absolutely stonkered when I struggled into Pamplona last, so am enjoying a rest day today.
I know I'll get stronger but for now, I need to break the usual stages up a bit if I am to continue. Probably don't want to walk more than 15 Kms a day for the next week. I have another 7-8 weeks if need be so time isn't an issue.
Any suggestions/route options appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi!

There are plenty of options to vary your stages after Pamplona, so do as you plan to and shorten the distances a bit.

Remember to count your achievements as you go - the stages you've successfully done so far are among the more difficult with relatively few choices.

Have you tried refitting your pack, or packing it differently to redistribute the weight? That can make a huge difference.

The fitness will start to come in a few days, and you will feel it!

Buen Camino!

T
Hi!

There are plenty of options to vary your stages after Pamplona, so do as you plan to and shorten the distances a bit.

Remember to count your achievements as you go - the stages you've successfully done so far are among the more difficult with relatively few choices.

Have you tried refitting your pack, or packing it differently to redistribute the weight? That can make a huge difference.

The fitness will start to come in a few days, and you will feel it!

Buen Camino!
tks tyrrek for the encouragement. Which towns do u suggest for 15 km stages? I'll try refitting the pack today

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, don't worry, it will pass. Rule of thumb: Day 3 is awful and by Day 10 you should be starting to feel much better. Also don't feel trapped by the so-called 'usual stages', they exist only on paper. Walk at your own pace and as far as you are comfortable with each day, and find out what the different straps on your pack does so you can try to get a better fit. In 2012 I walked about 15 kms a day the last couple of weeks and really enjoyed that pace. If you have time then use it. Buen camino!

Last edited:
Shalom and greetings fro Jerusalem
Ultreia! Forward! The only way to beat is to walk despite all. From Pamplona? Stop at Ulterga nice little albergue serving food too. The climb up to Alto del Perdon is not catastrophic the slip slide down can be knee throbbing good thing you are fixing your back pack. Then by way of Eunate on to Puente la Reina stay with Jakue right at the entrance. Then on to Ciraqui an interesting village an nice albergue with a dining room in a wine cellar. Leave on the Roman road for Estella and then write to us again. Ultreia! the aches and pains will pass.

Both times I've just done the standard Puente la Reina - Estella - Los Arcos stages, but both times I've thought Lorca looked like a nice place to stay.

For your next hop towards Puente la Reina why not include the detour to Eunate on the second day to make both days worthwhile? Then Puente to Lorca.

Edit - Scruffy beat me to it. Similar plan. :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stick with it Richo, we were all in pain by Pamplona. Remember the first few days are probably the hardest of the Camino so what you are experiencing is normal. Make sure you are carrying the weight of your pack on your hips not your shoulders, if you have it adjusted properly on your hip straps you should be able to slip your fingers under your shoulder straps.
Buen Camino.

For starters, walk less than 15km per day!;) Use the pace to take care of your feet, hydrate, and keep your blood sugar up.

Avoid measuring yourself against a guidebook or other pilgrims. The pilgrimage has only those criteria that YOU set. If you set them low enough, it is impossible to "fail." It sounds like your walk is going very well everywhere except in your head. So massage and stretch those muscles and joints, and keep your head in the game.

Oh, and have fun!:):)

Hola

One day at the time, especially when one feels tired and discouraged by envisioning the entire walk to Santiago.
Set your focus on this day and this day only.
Decide where you would like to go today, but change the plan if you feel tired or strong.
When one is low treat yourself to something special, like really good food or something.
As it has been said many times on this forum, the walk is best described in different weeks.
First week is very hard as the body as well as going over the mountains, stress your body.
Second and third week the body becomes happy :) when it realize; yes, I can do this.
Following weeks... well.. all depends on who is walking, but as you have good time, 7-8 weeks, you have the pleasure to take it slow.
Enjoy it all and keep your spirit up.

About packing you may want to try packing the heavy things at top.
Contrary to what one could think, this distribute the weight over your entire back, which many times is preferable.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Good afternoon Richo, hang in their and listen to your body. Bad accidents can happen once your body and legs get tired. It is these time that you don't lift your feet as high and your balance isn't as strong. Enjoy a day or two of Pamplona.

Getting to see so many injured people during these first several days.

Both times I've just done the standard Puente la Reina - Estella - Los Arcos stages, but both times I've thought Lorca looked like a nice place to stay.

For your next hop towards Puente la Reina why not include the detour to Eunate on the second day to make both days worthwhile? Then Puente to Lorca.

Edit - Scruffy beat me to it. Similar plan. :)

I have stayed in Lorca - and it is a lovely, quiet village with the choice of two good albergues. As mentioned in above posts, there are many villages to make short stages as you build up your fitness.

keep going!

buen camino

Many thanks to all for your helpful advice and encouragement. Tomorrow night I'll stay in Uterga and on to P de la R. I assume Eunate is a detour to see the church and not somewhere to stay?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed in Uterga as well. Loved it. I had the best chocolate tart ever there.
Mmmmmm nom nom memories. :rolleyes:

Even though I tried not to let it happen, when I left St Jean it was like a starter gun went off in my head. I dont know what I was racing.
Day 3 for me was Roncesvalles to Zubiri. ..which was mentally the hardest thing I have ever done.
Day 4 walking to Pamplona was a day of strategy planning. Because doing 20km days wasnt working for me.
The plan was to break it down. So for me it is was Pamplona to Uterga...Uterga to Cirauqui. ...Cirauqui to Estella. And it was great.

My moto (which I learnt from my Camino) is....little steps take you further than giant leaps.
And....its ok to stop and re-group. ;)
Lise T this mirrors my experience to a T, that's why I've also decided to take it a bit slower and aim for 15 Kms a say for a week or so and build up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Short loogbook from my first pilgrimage:
Day 1: Great, exciting. I walk fast (too fast, actually):p
Day 3: I feel awful, have a giant blister, walking is really painful, not sure if I will do it tomorrow.:oops:
Day 5: Better.
Day 7: I am a pilgrim-ator! I can walk no matter what distance! :)

Richo, just persist, do shorter distances.

To Eunate, you need to leave the main Way in Muruzabal, after the church. It is signposted. After a short walk, turn right as indicated. After leaving the village by a descending gravel road, you will see Eunate in the distance, the other side of a quite active highway. It is a half an hour detour, but definitely worthwhile.
The other way is a taxi from Puente la Reina, only 5 km. But walking there is a better experience, imho.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
I started in St Jean on the 13th September - took two days to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos, then then Zubiri and arrived in Pamplona last night. Have carried my own pack (poorly fitting, 8 kg) all the way except from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles.
I was absolutely stonkered when I struggled into Pamplona last, so am enjoying a rest day today.
I know I'll get stronger but for now, I need to break the usual stages up a bit if I am to continue. Probably don't want to walk more than 15 Kms a day for the next week. I have another 7-8 weeks if need be so time isn't an issue.

While in Pamplona ... get a pack that has a frame (internal or external) and a hip belt. Chuck the rucksack into a bin.

Just take your time, you got lots of it. Keep your pace to under 15 km a day until you get stronger. Stretch. Massage your feet. Soak them in cold water. Adjust your pack. Hydrate. Take breaks. Smell the roses. Eat lots of bananas. Enjoy a glass (or more) of Spanish wine every night. :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Drink lots of water in order to avoid painful tendonitis and remember that the most common camino injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Henceforth be a snail; slow but determined. Each day as you consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure remember the fable of the tortoise and the hare. Easy does it.

Buen camino and Carpe diem,

MM

As Mark has said, you have the luxury of plenty of time so just relax! The Camino Frances is perfect for those who cannot manage long days. When I walked it, I was obese and unfit - the first two weeks I never did more than 15-20km a day. After 2 weeks of walking I got stronger and was then able to increase my daily kms to 25-30. In my mind it was better to be a tortoise than a hare. Slowly slowly catch your monkey. I got to Santiago about 7-10 days after people who had left SJPP on the same morning as me, but it did not bother me, I was so happy to get there!

ps: another recommendation for Lorca. I stayed there, quiet relaxing place where to recharge your batteries. When I was there, there were just two albergues, facing each other across a narrow street, not sure how many there are now.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Short loogbook from my first pilgrimage:
Day 1: Great, exciting. I walk fast (too fast, actually):p
Day 3: I feel awful, have a giant blister, walking is really painful, not sure if I will do it tomorrow.:oops:
Day 5: Better.
Day 7: I am a pilgrim-ator! I can walk no matter what distance! :)

Richo, just persist, do shorter distances.

To Eunate, you need to leave the main Way in Muruzabal, after the church. It is signposted. After a short walk, turn right as indicated. After leaving the village by a descending gravel road, you will see Eunate in the distance, the other side of a quite active highway. It is a half an hour detour, but definitely worthwhile.
The other way is a taxi from Puente la Reina, only 5 km. But walking there is a better experience, imho.
Buen camino!
Thanks for this I'll definitely go see it.

Drink lots of water in order to avoid painful tendonitis and remember that the most common camino injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Henceforth be a snail; slow but determined. Each day as you consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure remember the fable of the tortoise and the hare. Easy does it.

Buen camino and Carpe diem,

MM
Thank you mspath

Last edited:
Bravo Richo you listen to your body/ feet and take good care of yourself, walk slowly live a moment at a time, the adventure believe me is just beginning! Buen camino pilgrim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
With the exception of the two days on the Valcarlos route we did the same as you and felt the same as you on reaching Pamplona, whilst we went over the top on our second Frances we did the same one day jumps as you but we managed to do no more than 12miles a day 20kms a day after thaton our second camino. Jjust read your guide book and phone ahead each day and you will be fine, do not rush, that was the major lesson we learned the first time and so instead of the 33days we spent 42 days and enjoyed it all so much more and as most people rush on and you are taking your time you meet many more people. Be encouraged you will make it just drink it all in

I also loved Ciraqui. We had not planned to stop there but it was such a delightful little village we just stopped there and had a relaxing day. The albergue is lovely and yes, the restaurant in the old wine cellar is delightful. I will always remember the few kms walking into Ciraqui as a beautiful walk with a magical village on the hill.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you drinking enough water? It almost sounds as if your muscles are exhausted and I just wonder if you are treating your body right. STRETCH before walking and AFTER walking. Drink water, plenty of it. REST at least every hour on the hour, take out socks, rest 10-15 minutes, stretch, up again. Go slow. Take magnesium supplement at least 400 mg. Magnesium will relax cramped muscles. Please post how you are doing and don't quit, don't despair, you will be fine. Buen Camino!

Many thanks to all for your helpful advice and encouragement. Tomorrow night I'll stay in Uterga and on to P de la R. I assume Eunate is a detour to see the church and not somewhere to stay?
Yes - there is a private Albergue - room for 8 pilgrims, operated by Mailuz & Jan who also look after the church (taken from Brierley guide). The Camino back to Puente La Reina is about 4-5 km and will give you a chance to see more the country away from busy roads etc. Buen Camino

Yes - there is a private Albergue - room for 8 pilgrims, operated by Mailuz & Jan who also look after the church (taken from Brierley guide). The Camino back to Puente La Reina is about 4-5 km and will give you a chance to see more the country away from busy roads etc. Buen Camino
Is this something very recent, because the old hospitaleros left a couple of years ago and, as far as I know, the Albergue has been closed since then. Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If your pack is not working even after assistance from experienced fellow pilgrims to adjust it, then consider buying a new one. I bought a cheap Spanish pack and it was fantastic.

I'm feeling your pain with nostalgia! It takes me two weeks to get trail fit. Aaaaagh - I say to myself, why am I doing this..... Why didn't I do more training? I'm too old.... Everything hurts.... These hills are too steep... It's too far to the next village....

Be confident that you will get fitter. You will. Don't give up. I find the best thing to do is to keep walking each day, so even on rest days I walk around town - trying to get in at least a few kilometers. See how you are feeling when you reach Burgos.

This walk is about persistence. It is just putting one foot in front of the other. Like a snail if necessary. Just keep going. On hills get a mantra going in your head - some people repeat to themselves a religious phrase ("For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son" has a good ring) or be the Little Red Engine "I think I can, I think I can, I know I can, I know I can...."

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

The albergue in Eunate has been closed for a little over a year now, Mailuz and Jan have, I believe, moved to Brazil, there were a lot of problems in dealing with the various local power structures in trying to keep the albergue open but if anyone is on an unpressured timetable the 3 km detour is worth taking. The turn off to the left is signposted in Muruzabal about 6 kms after Alto del Perdon.

If you miss the correct turn in Maruzabal, you can take a left further down the village, and still get down to the highway and turn left. There are stairs now for one stretch. The best route from Peter Robins:

upload_2014-9-18_7-34-8.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is this something very recent, because the old hospitaleros left a couple of years ago and, as far as I know, the Albergue has been closed since then. Anne
Hola Anna - I was quoting from the 2013 edition of John's book. I have not logged on to his web site to see if there are changes for 2014. Cheers

The albergue in Eunate has been closed for a little over a year now, Mailuz and Jan have, I believe, moved to Brazil, there were a lot of problems in dealing with the various local power structures in trying to keep the albergue open ...
As I said to Anna - I was quoting from the 2013 edition. Is this corrected in the 2014 edition? If not has anyone posted the news 0f John's web site??

Saint Mike - It's always important to remember that books can never be completely up-to-date. I can't even remember what town it was in now, but in one small spot I was with other pilgrims who were looking for the dancing horses fountain mentioned in the Brierly book. After walking all around town I asked a lady in the small grocery store if we were looking in the right places. She answered that we were, but that the dancing horses fountain hadn't been there for 15 or 20 years and was now replaced by some nondescript statue, presumed more suitable by the town fathers.:rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Anna - I was quoting from the 2013 edition of John's book. I have not logged on to his web site to see if there are changes for 2014. Cheers
Whatever, the detour is probably one of the best detours you could possibly make on the Camino Frances. The little church there is a delight. A real gem. One possibility is to then walk to Obanos and stay in the albergue there, instesd of carrying on to Puente de la Reina. Anne

Hi and well done for doing it! I did it last year and can remember that the first week was by far the hardest and I doubted I could complete it, and met may other peregrinos who said the same. Yes you do get stronger, there is no hurry, you can go at your own pace and 15 km sounds fine or less if you feel like it! One thing I did discover in the first week was that I wasn't eating enough for the amount of energy I was burning! Once I had got a really good breakfast inside me as soon as I could, I felt so much better and had much more energy. I can't advise on routes. But you have done the hardest part over the Pyrenees. Rest days are essential so you're doing the right thing there. Just try and follow your own instincts, eat, rest, sleep, drink and walk when you want to and enjoy it! You will get there and you're enjoying the journey. Walking with someone if you haven't already can also give a lift to your energy and can divert from the one foot in front of the other scenario. Beun Camino! Jean

Hi all,
Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement, it really helps. Things are very much settling down now and you DO get fitter. I stayed in the albergue del Perdon in Uterga and today to Cirauqui via Eunate to see the amazing church of Sta Maria de Eunate. As for the backpack - I believe it's too long for my back because I have to keep hitching it up for it to sit well higher up the back, despite all adjustments to straps and distribution of contents so I may take Kangas advice and see about a new pack when I get to Burgos.

Cheers
richo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ricoh......don't lose heart. My first day I walked 11 Kms and I started at Roncesvalles. Curious though, do you have walking sticks? I found them very helpful and some days, I wouldn't have made it without them. They take some of the strain and help you keep your balance. If you do, then repeat the advice written above. Walk only the distance that suits you.......it's your Camino!

Take whatever time you need for self care. You don't have to follow the stages as set out by the guide books. Take good care of your feet. Be nice to yourself. Enjoy your faith... Your spirit... It's well worth the trip... The dawns, the faces, the inner work. Somehow, you got here. Thank God! I'm 2 maybe 3 days away from SdC. I began in SJPP, and when I began... I hiked 10k before I found the trail to Orrison Hostel... Duh! You will get stronger and stronger! Buen Camino!

You have probably completed the most difficult part of the Camino. The first three days play games with your head and body. There is no where to stop and turn a long day into a rest day between SJPdP and Zubiri. After Pamplona I walk about 15 to 20 k per day for 3 or 4 days and then do a short day of 5 to 10 and do my laundry, some sightseeing and have a great meal.
Places mid way between the Brierley stage like Casa Magica in Villatuerta are just such places.
Your health, stamina and resolve will return.
Believe me it's when you finally reach a point in the middle of the Camino that you really start question your judgment to walk 775 km. That's why I'm starting again next year to garner my 4th Compostella.
Buen CaminoDSC00617.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00617.JPG
    DSC00617.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 3
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've just read this whole thread. I'm in pamplona in a similar position and your generous words and advice are amazing!

Gracias!

Amanda

Keep walking but at your own pace Amanda, watch that heel of yours take really good care of it, you too are amazing!:)

Buen camino

I've just read this whole thread. I'm in pamplona in a similar position and your generous words and advice are amazing!

Gracias!

Amanda
Hi wander woman - I'm happy to report that I'm in Santo Domingo de la Calzada now and things are indeed much better. When I was in Pamplona I was exhausted and doubted I'd be able to go on much further however, as the good people on here said, you get fitter, and I have. I still am tired when I arrive at the end of the day but I'm not wrecked like I used to be. So Ultreya and Courage because I'm sure you'll be fine too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Reading this thread brought me back to my recent -and first- camino. I was as discombobulated as you sounded in your initial post, Richo! How wonderful to read on and see that you are, indeed getting stronger as the days go by. What worked for me was learning to have regular 'toe-wiggles'; boots and socks off, a mini toe rub for each one, and stretching them as far apart as I could about every 4-5 kms. Excessive resting by some pilgrims standards, but completely rejuvenating for this pilgrim. Initially I felt pressure to try and keep pace with others whose company I enjoyed, but I soon learned to just listen to my body and my heart for guidance. You are walking your camino, and every nuance, joyful or disheartening is a gift to you :).

Buen Camino!
Kerstin

Bravo, Richo! I remember Santo Domingo de la Calzada so well because the 'understudy' chickens for the cathedral coop were kept in our back garden. So wacky! And it was also the town where I finally felt "I can do this!" I had thought I was fairly fit for a 68 year old woman but the Camino absolutely flayed me during the first week and I was quite discouraged. On the days I sent my pack ahead, knowing that the climbs were too steep for me to manage with the pack, I was moving like the wind. Also, the wise advice of several others here to stop and take off the shoes and socks - so simple! so helpful! - saved me once I tried it.

You'll be fine. Above all, remain open to the lessons of the Camino and aware of the many small miracles. I'm convinced now that we all experience these little miracles in our lives every day but are too busy to notice them so that's a lesson right there.

Ultreia!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back