• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top Albergues on the Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For the Portuguese Camino, my favorite was Casa da Laura in Vilarinho. You'll miss it if you take the coastal route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Always interesting to see what makes an albergue "top." Shows a lot about the values of the people doing the rating.
Well, my criteria starts with cleanlisness, but then again I am one to say Esclampero and Borres are just fine, but I draw the line at San Vicente de la barquera. A comfy mattress is nice, but the only one I recall being an issue was San Juan de Ortega. A place to rest on a soft surface other than bed is a plus: grass in a yard, coca cola plastic chairs in a yard are fine. Whom ever gets me a hammock wins three stars ( have yet to see that happen). Water extractor for laundry on the Norte wins you tons of points. And quite enjoy those individual lockers, with locks get extra points, with electric plugs to,charge my phone. But what I find is a turn off, and it's attitude from 'hospitaleros'. As long as the digs are hyginic I am happy so please do not bark at me when you have opted to take this payed position or volunteering to help. And barkers there are :eek: This being said, there's getting all I need and more, and then there are these special places, with the extra smile, the historical setting. Those are special to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
En el Camino is a great albergue with its pool and green area. Good people there. So is Quatro Cantones in Belorado, also with a pool and green garden in the centre of the town. Also an ATM in the central square of the town.

http://www.cuatrocantones.com/en/
Isn't it funny how all our experiences differ? I stayed at Cuatro Cantones too. However, I was given a bunk RIGHT BESIDE THE BATHROOM DOOR! 2 other rooms had issues with their bathrooms. They closed them off for the night. That meant over 100 pilgrims used the 2 toilets and showers in our large room! I was awake all night by the sights and sounds of the toilets, as were many others.

I just laid in bed and laughed it off , what else could I do? In the end it was quite funny!

The place is clean and they are friendly! I just had a horrible experience that night. It really was nice! I would give it another try BUT NOT BESIDE A BATHROOM DOOR!

Isn't it funny how all our experiences differ? I stayed at Cuatro Cantones too. However, I was given a bunk RIGHT BESIDE THE BATHROOM DOOR! 2 other rooms had issues with their bathrooms. They closed them off for the night. That meant over 100 pilgrims used the 2 toilets and showers in our large room! I was awake all night by the sights and sounds of the toilets, as were many others.

Hi Dan, but the Cuatro Canto see doesn't have room for 100 Pilgrims! Maybe you are thinking of another albergue?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
He, he: ALWAYS stay away from bathroom/toilet/entrance exits: Lesson no.1 for experienced pilgrins. And choose a bed with no traffic bypass. and use earplugs.

I just laid in bed and laughed it off , what else could I do? In the end it was quite funny!

The place is clean and they are friendly! I just had a horrible experience that night. It really was nice! I would give it another try BUT NOT BESIDE A BATHROOM DOOR!
Hi, sorry that you couldn't sleep. Mabe it feld like 100 pilgrims but as Annakappa also stated , there is room for about 60 pilgrims.
Wish you well, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, sorry that you couldn't sleep. Mabe it feld like 100 pilgrims but as Annakappa also stated , there is room for about 60 pilgrims.
Wish you well, Peter.

Yes, the guide books all state beds for 62. There was a TOWN Fiesta that night and all Alburgues were full and there were so many pilgrims. Many places went into overflow, some (Cuatro Cantones was one of them) had matresses on the floor.

It was a beautiful building, clean, friendly staff, great food, but the 1 night that the 8 of us who traveled together were there, it was pretty crowded. I would give it a 2nd chnace for sure.

I would never ask for a bed by a bathroom, but we were assigned bed numbers upon registration, We were going to ask to change but the line up of Pilgrims eager for a bed standing outside, made a switch seem ather trivial.

Town Fiestas can be quite the experience. I just managed to land in towns 6 times who had them. It just meant lots of drunk people, lots of music, loud noiuse, and tons of fun. All an experience and often good fun.

I can laugh now about the marching band that stopped outside the front entrance of Cuatro Cantones at 3 am and sang 2 songs!

The ALBERGUES AND SMALL HOTELS I LOVED:

1) VENTOSA: HOTEL RURAL LAS AGUADAS - This was a beautiful home converted to double room accomodatons. The Pilgrim's dinner was THE BEST i had on the Camino. It was just such a beautiful place with the most gracious hosts

2) CIRAUQUI - MARALTOX- This was a beautiful refuge in a stone house in the town square at the top of the town. The pilgrim's dinner was served downstairs in the old wine cellars which were converetd to a restaurant.

3) UTERGA: - Albergue-Restaurante Camino del Perdon: There was nothing special about the room with the beds. It was ordinary but VERY CLEAN! The outdorr patio, dining area, the lounge room and the food were PHENOMENAL! The peopel were so kind and friendly to all. They also had vending machines with items from the Farmacis - compeeds, advil, etc. It was such a clean Albergue.

4) HONTANAS - SANTA BRIGIDA - This was so lovely! It had 16 beds in 3 very spacious and almost brand new rooms. The hospialeros were amazing? One was a Cuban man living there now. The food was exceptional, the mini retauratnut als acted as a mini supermercado. It was almost brand new and exceptionally clean!!!

5) TRIACASTELA : Albergue a Horta de Abel - It is a private refuge located in renovated and rustic stone house. 14 beds in 2 dormitories. It was so clean, lovely, centrally located and super clean. I loved my night there.

There were so mnat great places!

Hi Fellow Pilgrims, What are your favourite albergues on the Camino Frances? Here I share my top three: not to be missed albergues
I'd be especially interested on favourite hostels on the Portuguese Way as that'll be my next pilgrimage.
Buen Camino :)
LA Casa magica in Villatuerte: the dinner was 3 star(Michelin), vegetarian. Breakfast was great also. Dinner was 13 and b'fast 5, so more than usual but worth ever penny. The place is very nice, also. Amenities very good, too. Other people seem to have had similar good experiences.

Hi. I loved the family run Alberge Verde in Hospital de Orbigo. The welcome is warm, the vegetarian food delicious (meat eaters won't de disappointed) and the playing of spanish guitars very fitting for where we are. They also offer massage and yoga sessions to soothe aching limbs and feet. Did I mention that the beds are comfortable and the facilities very good. You have to walk a bit away for the centre (10 - 15 minutes) but I found it worth it. You pay for the bed and the rest is by donation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Fellow Pilgrims, What are your favourite albergues on the Camino Frances? Here I share my top three: not to be missed albergues
I'd be especially interested on favourite hostels on the Portuguese Way as that'll be my next pilgrimage.
Buen Camino :)
If I had to pick 1 I would say my favorite was Albergue Ecológico El Beso Just outside of A Balsa/ Price Per Bed was 7 Euros. The reason I loved it was the people who run it. Run by a family who met on the Camino de Santiago this placed is filled with love and they welcomed my wife and I with tea (on a rainy cold day) and some really amazing hospitality. It’s location in Galicia is in the middle of a dense green old growth forest. The vegetarian meals offered feature produce grown on site and the solitude is best absorbed while sitting in a tree swing hanging from an 800 year old tree on the property.:) The accommodations are simple but just the entire vibe there was pretty cool.

He, he: ALWAYS stay away from bathroom/toilet/entrance exits: Lesson no.1 for experienced pilgrins. And choose a bed with no traffic bypass. and use earplugs.

Unless you regularly need to get up to pee in the middle of the night - in this case it's better to be near the door/toilets ....

Unless you regularly need to get up to pee in the middle of the night - in this case it's better to be near the door/toilets ....
Exactly the kind of people I try to avoid at night...;):)

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgements"...;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
LA Casa magica in Villatuerte: the dinner was 3 star(Michelin), vegetarian. Breakfast was great also. Dinner was 13 and b'fast 5, so more than usual but worth ever penny. The place is very nice, also. Amenities very good, too. Other people seem to have had similar good experiences.
Seeker 43, What a fine dining experience you had! Sounds well worth spending the extra Euros - appreciate the tip :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I enjoyed the Albergues at Morgade and also Casa Molar at Ventas de Naron. Mostly because of the friendliness of the hosts as well as comfy beds in antique stone buildings. They took pride in cooking their own food for the pilgrim menu and for breakfast.
The private albergue in Villamayor, about 200 m. off the Camino was quite nice. Mom seems to run the whole place single handedly, with a bit of help from her young son with serving. Some of the best food was cooked up for us that night and the sleeping arrangements and shower area was great.

In Leon, a stay overnight in Hermanas Trinitarias was a treat. Not really an Albergue, but they offer single rooms for 20€, with your own bathroom and you get breakfast. The nuns here are so kind and welcoming.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back