• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toronto, 67, March-April

AGW1

Hi, I'm walking lots of late getting ready for a March-early April departure. I'm a little nervous about it all, but what else is new? Departing from TO to Paris, train to Bayonne and then bus to St. Jean. One of these days I'll have to purchase the ticket to really get things ready. Nice, helpful forum. Any suggestions about pack size? 42l seems to be common.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I think 40ish is probably about right. Some go for smaller & lighter, I used an Osprey Kestrel 48ltrs. Some would say a bit large, but had plenty of room to put your food for the day easy to organize etc. I think the main things are good fit, not to heavy, decent support harness and maybe the compartments you want.
Burn Camino
Col

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So Arn, I saw the ebay web page. Advertising 32 or 38 l. Is a 32l really large enough? Would you yourself be able to manage with a 32? What is listed on ebay looks very nice.

Hi AGW1
I use a 35l. Much of the space is taken up by a sleeping bag that doesn't squash down very far, I also carry food and sometimes my own cooking pot. If you have a sleeping bag that squashes and aren't cooking you may find 32l Ok. Hope that helps a bit.
Sue

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sue,
Nice reply. Guess it depends on departure date. If one leaves in March, one requires a warmer sleeping bag that takes up space. Good to know one can do it with a 35 L. Deuter makes a 28 Litre sack that looks pretty good, i.e. small and Arn has suggested an Ebay web page that specializes in Osprey, 32 and 38 sizes. So, I'll wait for a bit more feedback before purchasing. Either Deuter or Osprey. Thanks again.

Hi All

My Berghaus 35+8l looked in line with what others were carrying. (I think the +8 relates to the pockets). It was pretty full, but weighed in at 8-9kgs at the airport, so fine from the weight point of view.

I agree that compartments, pockets etc are important considerations. Where do you plan to keep water, for example? My pack has a back pocket for a water bag that was great, so I just had a tube to my mouth rather than having to reach round for a bottle. Also open side pockets for guidebook etc. Another consideration is the rain cover, and if your sleeping bag is strapped outside the rucksack how will it be protected?

Both Osprey and Deuter seemed to be very popular brands when I was walking. Also Quechua, which is popular among the French and Spanish (not sure about availability elsewhere), but apparently good value and well made.

Buen Camino!

Hi,

You can always buy a light weight sleeping bag that weights under 2 lbs.

Here's an example: http://www.rei.com/product/778156/rei-h ... eeping-bag

Small, less than a half loaf of bread in size. REI is one of the best outfitters out there. Also, look back on eBay...you can get some good deals, as you already know.

A -40 degree bag is about all you really need in March/April. Where many folks go wrong, they get in the bag feeling cold, so they wear extra, bulky items. A long sleeve, 50/50% poly pro/cotton shirt can double as a walking shirt in the day, add a pair of light weight shorts that you can lounge in after the day's walking and you're there. The human body generates over 90 degrees of heat, so you want the bag to capture that heat by wearing light, not heavy weight clothing.

Buen "lighter is better" Camino

Arn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Arn,
I'd be happy to know what size back pack you yourself use, Arn. 28, 32, or 38?
All the best,
Art from Toronto

Hi Arn,
Thanks for the info. The pack looks rugged. Appalachian Trial enthusiast? In my next life I hope to do part of it. Read reports and can only do that trail vicariously. Re: Santiago. I think I'll go with a 34L and hope it's large enough for a sleeping bag cause I'd like to go end of March and I've read it gets a little cool especially around Roncesvalles. Mind you, in Eastern Canada we're used to the cold although this year has been exceptionally warm. No snow yet. Unbelievable.
Thanks again.
Art

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Art,

I thru hiked the AT in 96'...totally different experience! Pack weighed in at 57 lbs. In addition to tent, cook stove and 5lb sleeping bag, I carried, on average, 12 lbs of food and 5 lbs of water.

The Camino is an entirely different environment.

On the AT...days without seeing anyone else, open shelters against the WX...major climbs at regular intervals. Resupply, help only every five days or so.

I love the Camino...I could do different Caminos for ever. The AT is a one time experience!

When I finished the AT...I was indeed finished. Each time I complete the Camino...I am complete!

Buen Camino

Arn

I walked starting at the beginning of March with a 30 l. pack. I had a lightweight sleeping bag. Most albergues have blankets that you can use although I think I used one only once or twice as the sleeping bag was enough.
Also on the above link to the SWAT type pack, I didn't see how much the pack weighed. You'd want to take that into consideration.

Arn,
Inspiring story. Thanks for it. Have you written a book about everything? Sounds like you'd have info for a book or two. The one I read told about the trip being broken up. Nights in shelters. Shenandoah. As you said, isolated. How far along the trail did you go? Is it maintained by separate states or is the federal government behind its maintenance?
As for the size, thanks viajero for confirmation that a 30L size is fine. For an old guy like me, 67, I've got to be sensible and the best way to be careful is to consider size.
Art

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Art,

Key thoughts about the AT:
1. At roughly 2,164 miles long, the trail is maintained by AT Clubs in the different states, in VA two big ones are the Tidewater AT Club and the Potomac AT Club. The clubs are responsible for trail maintenance, building lean-to and larger sized shelters. I suppose there is some Fed funding.
2. I thru-hiked the AT and it took 5 months and 4 days. Seldom walked with anyone in particular for more than a day or two. Hiking styles and time mitigate against walking with a partner. Folks I did meet that were "partners" (not necessarily married/engaged) often didn't survive either the trail or the relationship. One older couple (70's) camped and cooked together, but didn't walk together. He said he didn't need the constant buzzzz from his wife. She said she'd already heard all his stories and was ready for new stuff.
3. Plan to hit a large shelter on a Sunday, or last day of a holiday. Large shelters are usually located near a main highway and "weekenders" walk in, carry a lot of stuff and don't want to carry it out. First thru-hiker in gets to divvy up the canned hams, soups, etc. More importantly the box wines, cans of beer and magazines.
4. I did the AT when I was 51 and am now 66...will be 67 in May. I have no desire to rewalk the AT....but the Camino keeps calling me back.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Arn,
What a story. I was a little younger when I made a much shorter trek to the base camp of Everest. Each day we, a group of 4, would walk beginning at 7am and end at 5 usually followed by locals who would stop for breaks when we did and eventually part with a wave when the road diverged. We met no non Nepalese except for one couple, in their 60s, who travelled together with a porter who set up a tent at day's end. They walked together and I admired their courage for walking in a remote area, 15 days from the nearby town of Kathmandu. Now, I'm the courageous (foolish) one doing what they did many years ago although the Camino is closer to transportation to emergency care should the situation arise.
Anyway, thanks for the description. Funny anecdote about the couple who didn't walk together.
As I said before, I read a book about the AT trail and admire what you did. Tough walk.
Now, I'm into reading Spanish history. Just bid on a 32 L Deuter on ebay and so that big ticket item has been dealt with if I get it.
All the best.
Art. Actually, I'm changing my name to Arturo in keeping with the event.

I found a thought worth remembering in Bill Bryson's book about the Appalachian Trail, "A Walk in the Woods." One day he fully understood that the hike was completely optional. He quit walking.

I am not saying to quit, but I found it very comforting on tough days to remember that I did not have to walk the Camino. It is optional. Suddenly I was not "driven," and the enjoyment would return.

Knowing that quitting is an option as valid as continuing really lifted my spirits!

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Falcon,
The point about the compulsion is a good one. The title of the book is even better for I had forgotten it and will now try to get another copy. It was an excellent read and a fitting testament to a long, often lonely walk along the A. T. I never knew before reading the book, the trail existed. We have one in Ontario, the Bruce Trail going along the Niagara escarpment but nowhere near as long. Thanks again for the title and recommendation. Appreciated.
Arturo

Arn,
In the recent past Nepal was politically unstable with Maoist insurgency. Fortunately in 1970 when I was there, the country was peaceful. Poor but peaceful. Beautiful countryside. Was wearing cheap, mass produced Chinese running shoes that slowly came apart. Ended up buying Tibetan moccasins, the only foot ware available in one of the three villages we passed. No ankle support and thin soles. Nowadays, thanks to input from others, one can buy Gortex boots, way more comfortable and durable. Today, thanks to webpages, much uncertainty is done away with. One can plan well in advance. Equipment is way more sophisticated.
At the time I was returning to Canada after working in Tanzania. Backpacking thru Egypt, India, Nepal, Thailand and Indonesia.
Keep thinking of the story about the couple hiking at different paces only to link up at night cause she had heard all the stories before. Funny story. Sounds like my son.
Art

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi;

You may want to consider the train form Bayonne to Saint John Pied de Port. I did the Camino last year. We flew into Paris and took the train all the way from the airport to Saint John. The train we arrived on was the last one of the day (10:40 pm if I remember correctly), but it was full of pilgrims and the Albuerge stayed open for it.

I gather the route is as follows:
Paris to Bayonne by train located at a station close to Charles de Gaulle Airport. 9 hour trip.
Transfer in Bayonne for St Jean on another train.
Arrival in St. Jean at 10:40 pm?
All done in one day.
Is that the way it goes?
Thanks.

We flew from Toronto to Charles De Gaulle airport. There is a train in the airport. We took the TGV to Bordeaux and then transferred to a local train to Bayonne. From Bayonne we transferred to another train to St Jean. I got the tickets through the website "www.raileurope.com". I just looked at the website and it appears that the late train has been cancelled, the last train now arriving in St Jean at 7:36 pm. You can still make the trip in one day depending on when you will be arriving in Paris.

Good luck and Bon Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll be leaving from Toronto, too, and never thought of going to Bordeaux.
An evening flight from TO departs at 20:00, arriving in Paris at 9:00. I was told one can take a green shuttle bus to Montparnasse from Charles de Gaulle and from there take a train, the SNCF to Bayonne.
I suppose this would be the second way to Bayonne. From Bayonne one takes a train, not a bus, to St. Jean?
Did Air Canada allow you to take hiking poles in your packsack?
Thanks for the info.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.