• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Towns with albergues but no shops

DeansFamily

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 18/916/10/17 Muxia/Finisterre 18/10-22/10/17 Norte 21/4-29/5/18 Primitive 20/9-5/10/18 VdlP
We have started the VdlP from Seville and would appreciate anyone giving us a heads up to places that have an alburgue but no shops or restaurants for meals. I remember reading of such places existing and dont want to get caught out as a meal at the end of the day is pretty important to us and we have been caught in this situation before on the Norte. If I am aware I can carry supplies for those nights.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Look at Gronze.com
Yes, Gronze has that kind of information. Even if you can't understand Spanish it's useful as there is a marker with a shopping cart for the towns and villages with shops.
For instance the village of Complejo Leo on stage four has such a marker on Gronze.
FAE86C31-3864-4D12-9B8D-A2D1B09E097D.png

The Wise Pilgrim (Wisely) app has such information, also as symbols, although the app is in English. I'll be using it as I start from Salamanca in a couple of days. I appreciate it for showing my location on the trail, as I tend to be directionally challenged, being from southern hemisphere.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for suggestion of "wisepilgrim" app, will have a look. We rely on Gronze and Correos when walking as info is very reliable (except for distances for some reason). Luckily our 16 year old daughter can speak, read and write Spanish very well as she studies this for school. Having driven through these regions when we resided in Spain last year I am very aware how remote and unserviced places on the VdlP and Sanabres can be. So far the markings from Seville have been excellent except that some arrows have been baked white from the heat. So glad to be back in Spain and walking again!

Hey "DeansFamily", It's great to see that you all are back on Camino. I hope you remember me from the Primitivo last September/October. It was such a joy to meet all of you!
I walked the entire VdlP in 2017, and I don't think you will find any town that has an albergue that does not have a restaurant or grocery shop. You will have a few stages where there is no shop/coffee shop/bar during the walk, so for those days, you will need to carry lunch/snacks, and water. The only exception might be on Saturday afternoon - Sundays when all shops are sometimes closed, but that is not unique to the VdlP.
The VdlP continues to be my favorite route, although I know some folks find it too desolate and flat (in spots). If you walk the entire route, you'll be likely to encounter cool, wet weather by mid-November in Galicia, but what is Camino without a little rain?:)
Buen Camino, Mike.

Hi Mike, great to hear from you! Thanks so much for your feedback, and yes, like you we always carry lunch just in case along with enough water. As you've seen how much food my husband and daughter can eat you know why I'm trying to be forewarned. And the gear is ready for Galicia's wonderful Autumn weather. All the best:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I cannot recall any town so small that it only has an albergue and no shops, but I have not stopped in ALL towns along the way. I guess if there is an albergue, then there must be a shop or something, not necessarily a bar, but surely something nearby... Gronze is the best source, I believe

I cannot recall any town so small that it only has an albergue and no shops,
These three come to mind:
Embalse de la Alcantára (but if the Albergue is open, there's a restaurant in the albergue)
Albergueria (the bar sells some basic foods - eggs, sausage. You can also buy basic supplies in the albergue)
Outeiro (you'd better buy your supplies in Ponte Ulla because there's nothing in Outeiro)

Embalse de la Alcantára (but if the Albergue is open, there's a restaurant in the albergue)
Albergueria (the bar sells some basic foods - eggs, sausage. You can also buy basic supplies in the albergue)
Outeiro (you'd better buy your supplies in Ponte Ulla because there's nothing in Outeiro)
indeed, I had not counted the Embalse as a village! Still, they sell plenty of food there, I wish I were looking at the lake below at this very minute....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Muchos Gracias everyone. It’s good to know that if I have a question about anything Camino related there will be someone out there with the answer. :)

We have started the VdlP from Seville and would appreciate anyone giving us a heads up to places that have an alburgue but no shops or restaurants for meals. I remember reading of such places existing and dont want to get caught out as a meal at the end of the day is pretty important to us and we have been caught in this situation before on the Norte. If I am aware I can carry supplies for those nights.
I walked it this time in 2018 and always managed to find a meal. Mostly not menú del peregrinos but a meal. The hardest thing i found was finding something opened for breakfast!!
some places will get ve you a packed breakfast the night before but it was the coffee I craved!
Enjoy it!!!

I carry oats, chocolate powder and Nescafé 3 in 1 sachets always. In a microwave with our big lightweight plastic bowls (that can snuggle over the end of our sleeping bags for carrying) they get a power breakfast and I get my caffeine fix. Ever carried 1/2 kg of chocolate powder? A good incentive to get stuck into it.

But just a KM or so from Outeiro is a pension, Pazo de Galegos (?) which is also a boutique winery. We stayed the night, spoiled ourselves! Last night before Santiago and hugely enjoyed it. Super nice place, really good food and very friendly host.

I agree with the others, I can't remember there ever being a problem and I always checked on Gronze. Saturday afternoons and Sundays can be a problem with shops being open and again a lot of shops and Panaderías open Sunday morning , nothing like fresh bread first thing!! Don't miss Me Gusta Comer for lunch in Rionegro just opposite a great Albergue, it will stay in my taste memory for many years!! Although it is near the end of the Camino journey but worth the wait, in my opinion!
I have only walked from Mérida to Santiago via the Sanabrés. Hope to do Sevilla to Mérida next Easter.
A Camino of many different parts all of which, so far, I am so glad I walked.
Good luck and Buen Camino.

Hi,

I can remember that I was stuck in Torremejía on a Saturday evening with the shop closed (but still restaurants available) and nothing open on Sunday morning. That made a hard walk to Mérida. So things can be difficult on week-ends.

Also be aware that at Puerto de Béjar there is a nice new albergue with kitchen, but no shop or restaurant nearby. Do not rely on the bar at the Petrol Station, it is only open if the owner wants it. The Petrol Station itself only sells water and softdrinks and snacks. You can buy everything else in Banos de Montemayor (3 km before).

BC
Alexandra

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back