• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tracking the weather

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
In 11 months I'll be walking the Camino Frances. Like most, I'm curious what the weather will be like when I walk, from mid-May to end of June, at the various stages of the route.

The best way I've found to get a good sense of what to expect is to follow the weather along the route the year before. I've got random cities/towns from SJPdP to SDC plugged into my weather app, and at a glance I can see the temperature and weather at each place, at various times of the day. Gives me a sense of what areas of the route are hotter/colder, how cold it gets at night and how hot during the day.

Of course I realize that the weather may not be the same a year later, but I think by watching it all over the course of a month and a half, I will have a pretty good idea what to expect and prepare for.

One thing I've learned thus far - Roncesvalles tends to be one of the coldest places along the route, often 5-8 degrees celsius colder than its neighbours. SDC has also been colder than most of the other cities for the past month. And I've noted that the variance between early morning temperatures and mid-day temperatures is quite significant. Often below 10 degrees in the early morning, and up to low 30's in the afternoon.

Anyways, I'm not telling most of you anything you don't know, but for those that are planning their camino for 2023 or beyond, watching the weather during the dates you plan to walk can be helpful/fun.

weather.png

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I find the AEMET climate services useful. For English speakers, here is a good place to start. Follow the link to the Climate Services and explore.

My husband spent Nov of 2018 in Santiago. It rained a lot most days and not gentle rain either. I made him pack an umbrella, waterproof boots, and a raincoat and he was glad. He would watch pilgrims entering Santiago from his apartment window soggily trudging along with packs and ponchos.. Later in the first part of December he walked from Logrono to Granon and it was cold and rained some days in Rioja.

We just use our regular weather channel app in Spain. I also try to read the weather in the newspaper and watch it on TV when available on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back