• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail runners and mud?

Time of past OR future Camino
202?
We’re starting out from St. Jean on April 25 and I’m vacillating about my footwear. I’m trying out new Keen Voyager hiking shoes, and I’m also looking at Brooks Cascadia 12 trail runners (I love my Brooks running shoes and thought the Cascadias would fit about the same). But I’m worried what happens with trail runners in mud — seems like they would be a muddier mess than hiking shoes. Any advice out there from the veterans?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello :)

I've walked in Altra Lone Peak trail runners and don't remember having a problem with mud. The shoe seemed to coped well with the stickiness and kept its grip. I've had occasion to dip them in the odd puddle to clean off cloddy mud but it's not been a problem. If anything I found that the lighter trail shoes dry out faster so I didn't have to put a wet shoe on in the morning.

Hope this helps :)

We’re starting out from St. Jean on April 25 and I’m vacillating about my footwear. I’m trying out new Keen Voyager hiking shoes, and I’m also looking at Brooks Cascadia 12 trail runners (I love my Brooks running shoes and thought the Cascadias would fit about the same). But I’m worried what happens with trail runners in mud — seems like they would be a muddier mess than hiking shoes. Any advice out there from the veterans?

Trail runners are, by nature, designed to handle the varying conditions of the trail. I've used them (New Balance 910s) over thousands of backpacking mile and on Camino.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I had no issues with my New Balance trail runners during camino rainy days. Good luck and enjoy the whole camino enchilada, have a Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hello :)

I've walked in Altra Lone Peak trail runners and don't remember having a problem with mud. The shoe seemed to coped well with the stickiness and kept its grip. I've had occasion to dip them in the odd puddle to clean off cloddy mud but it's not been a problem. If anything I found that the lighter trail shoes dry out faster so I didn't have to put a wet shoe on in the morning.

Hope this helps :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
First camino, last 100km in Merrill boots, black tonails. Second camino, the Camino Primivo in Altra Lone Peak Waterproof with ArmorSkins. It was dry, but here in southern WV we walk in state parks in all weather and never had a problem with mud.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was my experience that trail runners gathered far less mud than boots with thick soles and deep treads.
55C4F599-98F3-4742-A36B-C5411C72B872.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another plus with trail runners in the mud: boots tend to weigh a lot more, and I swear that my shoes pick up another pound of weight when walking in thick mud. So you don't have to lift even more weight when in mud with trail runners.

This is a helpful thread as I am asking myself this exact question while planning my May 2018 Camino.
I have walked the Frances and Salvador / Primitivo in Solomon X-ultra gortex hiking shoes and they have been great. Walking in paths mimicking as ankle deep streams of muddy cow poop is never fun regardless of what you wear. That being said I wondered if Gortex trail runners would be better and based on the above comments I'll likely move in that direction.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is a helpful thread as I am asking myself this exact question while planning my May 2018 Camino.
I have walked the Frances and Salvador / Primitivo in Solomon X-ultra gortex hiking shoes and they have been great. Walking in paths mimicking as ankle deep streams of muddy cow poop is never fun regardless of what you wear. That being said I wondered if Gortex trail runners would be better and based on the above comments I'll likely move in that direction.

If you are hoping for a waterproof solution via Gortex lining, then it won't really help in many instances. Light moisture while walking on a non-puddly path will mostly keep things dry, but not so much in drenching conditions. Goretex linings also slow down the trail runners from drying out. Plus, for many, Goretex in warm weather can retain sweat, actually creating dampness on your feet.

My preference is decent cushioning, motion control, good tread, and material that drains water very well. I also carry an extra set of insoles so that at the end of the day, I can swap out the wet for the dry. I will also then change into a dry pair of socks and wear the shoes which will boost the drying time, even though they dry pretty quickly anyway.

Thanks for the tip

Trail running shoes worked for me. I tried Merrill's prior to leaving for the Camino in April but they were stiff and gave me blisters. So I switched to Innov-8 trail running shoes with insoles. They worked well, enough tread but not too much, flexible, reasonably light. After wet days on the Camino they dried quickly. I have had good luck with Altra as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I like trail runners (fitted with shock cord lacings for ease of putting on/taking off) in the dry but having cold, wet feet puts me off using them in the wetter seasons (so, most of the year here in the UK) but am tempted to use them on the Ingles in May so thanks for the tips about a second set of insoles.

I went looking at trail runners yesterday and the salesperson cautioned against them because he feels the treads will wear down very quickly if one walks on roads. The Frances and Primitivo both had a fair bit of asphalt.
Has this been a problem for anyone?

Jamie

I went looking at trail runners yesterday and the salesperson cautioned against them because he feels the treads will wear down very quickly if one walks on roads. The Frances and Primitivo both had a fair bit of asphalt.
Has this been a problem for anyone?

Jamie

The outersoles will wear out more quickly than boots, but that is not much of a problem. Quality trail runners will give you anywhere from 600 to 900 miles. The composition of the outersoles which makes them more friable than boots, is also what helps make them more comfortable to a lot of backpackers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.