• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail runners vs road runner shoes

ejg1890

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Oct 2023
I will be ding the Camino Frances beginning September 1 completing by October 9 or earlier. I don’t plan to wear hiking boots and have narrowed it down to either trail or road running shoes. Has anyone noticed a difference or benefit to have trail runners over road running shoes? For trail runners I am leaning towards either Altria or ASICS, but have never run/walked in trail runners as all my runs have been in road running shoes. The alternative road runner I consider is the Saucany Triumph 20. I have run many miles in these shoes as the sole holds up well; however, the uppers are not made inclement weather nor are the soles made for wet slippery surface. How much of an issue would this be vs trail runners which have better grip? I am most concerned with the Pyrenees and Galicia areas with road shoes. Thanks for any advice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No single pair of shoes will be ideal for all conditions, so you need to make your own best guess based on your own preferences. Many people walk the Camino in all types of shoes/boots and are happy with them. The pure comfort of your feet for all-day walking is the most important consideration by far.

I am most concerned with the Pyrenees and Galicia areas with road shoes.
The Camino Frances route over the Pyrenees is mainly on country roads. In Galicia, it might rain, so you need consider the arguments for and against water proofing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have been using road runners because they are the most comfortable for my fussy feet. If I could find an equally-comfortable trail runner, I would use them, mainly in hope that they would last somewhat longer.

I have been using road runners because they are the most comfortable for my fussy feet. If I could find an equally-comfortable trail runner, I would use them, mainly in hope that they would last somewhat longer.
I used Meindl for some time but always had mixed feelings about shoes and went back to boots. Mainly because of pronation issues.

Samarkand.

I have walked all my Camino's in standard road running shoes, including Saucony. I do this because the shoes are comfortable enough to walk in all day, every day. If you are a distance runner at home (?), Then the distance shoe you use now is the obvious choice. I take two pairs because the durability is not good, and my feet get wet when it rains. These shortcomings are trumped by the certain knowledge that I will avoid the Camino scourge of blisters and other foot problems. Long term comfort, as others have said, is the governing factor in shoe selection.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use trail runners - always New Balance on an SL-2 shoe last because it has a wide , deep toe and narrow heel. You need room for your toes to spread while you walk. And you'll be walking more trail than road on most days.

I used a light TNF trail runner last time, and just picked up a pair of Bushido 2 trail runners for October. I use them because I'm most comfortable with them, I prefer the grip when I need it, but I'm also a long term hiker who wears boots when trudging the Tasmanian "Alps" 😉

Road Runner’s will work fine, but just ensure they can hold up to the distance of the CF (the TNF trail runners just made it in 18), considering you'll go "off road" in maybe 20-30% of the time. And consider wet days... I'm of the ilk that nothing stays dry, so I prefer runners that will dry off overnight (at most).

Ive seen Pilgrims walk in Sandals... as long as you consider the practicalities, whatever you prefer is the best option.

I recently bought a pair of trail runners from Kilian Jornet's new brand NNormal, Tomir. They've already done 1000 km and are in fantastic condition still, my feet haven't suffered either. As stated you get great grip and they are very light. Although mine were waterproof with little rain to worry about I didn't get any blisters.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ive seen Pilgrims walk in Sandals... as long as you consider the practicalities, whatever you prefer is the best option
Ever since my 3rd Camino I always walk in hiking sandals. They have good grip, and my toes love the freedom. My feet feel so much better at the end of the day when I wear sandals than they did when I wore trail runners in the Camino.

I've made the journey from boots to trail runners myself. For decades hiking and for the first 3 times I've walked I walked the Camino I used boots, but the last 2 times have been with trail runners. I run and hike a lot on rocky Colorado trails and prefer a trail runner over a road shoe for three reasons: grip, rock plate (if available), and longevity.

That said, I wear Hokas because they fit my feet best, and they are not known for their longevity! On the Camino, I'm not sure any of the 3 reasons I've mentioned are deal-breakers, so I would definitely lean to what you are comfortable spending a whole day's walking in, even if they are "street" or "road" shoes.

If you can't find a shoe you like with a rock plate, and you have volume available in the shoe, I've found SuperFeet green insoles to be a great thing both for easing the beating on the bottom of your feet but also for some of that stability I used to like in boots.

Buen Camino!

If you can't find a shoe you like with a rock plate, and you have volume available in the shoe, I've found SuperFeet green insoles to be a great thing both for easing the beating on the bottom of your feet but also for some of that stability I used to like in boots.
You can also make an inexpensive rock plate out of a thin flexible plastic cutting board, like these from the Dollar store.

Screenshot_20230710_073324_Firefox.jpg

Simply remove the insole from the shoe, trace the outline onto the cutting board and cut it out. Then slip it under the shoe's insole.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be ding the Camino Frances beginning September 1 completing by October 9 or earlier. I don’t plan to wear hiking boots and have narrowed it down to either trail or road running shoes. Has anyone noticed a difference or benefit to have trail runners over road running shoes? For trail runners I am leaning towards either Altria or ASICS, but have never run/walked in trail runners as all my runs have been in road running shoes. The alternative road runner I consider is the Saucany Triumph 20. I have run many miles in these shoes as the sole holds up well; however, the uppers are not made inclement weather nor are the soles made for wet slippery surface. How much of an issue would this be vs trail runners which have better grip? I am most concerned with the Pyrenees and Galicia areas with road shoes. Thanks for any advice.
Greetings,
Hiking shoes/boots are such a subjective choice but here is my experience. I walked the CF in late April - early June 2022. I began in Altra Lone Peaks. I really liked them while training at home in Ohio, U.S.A. Although they were great at home they were the wrong shoes for me on the Camino Frances. The CF was much too rocky for these shoes and my feet were really beat up and blistered in them. Great shoes but not the right trail for them. In Leon I finally gave up on them and replaced them with a more traditional hiking boot and what a relief! I only ran across one other person wearing them, a much more accomplished hiker than me, who had the same experience. Too many rocks and potential ankle and foot injuries for lightweight trail runners. Of course, everyone has their own experience with shoes/boots.
From my experience, however, I really wished that I’d worn traditional hiking boots 🥾! Despite my foot problems, the Camino Frances was still one of the most wonderful and transformative experiences of my life and I am eager to go again!

Whatever you decide, grace and blessings and Buen Camino!
Daniel (Slowtraveler)

I have walked all my Camino's in standard road running shoes, including Saucony. I do this because the shoes are comfortable enough to walk in all day, every day. If you are a distance runner at home (?), Then the distance shoe you use now is the obvious choice. I take two pairs because the durability is not good, and my feet get wet when it rains. These shortcomings are trumped by the certain knowledge that I will avoid the Camino scourge of blisters and other foot problems. Long term comfort, as others have said, is the governing factor in shoe selection.
I've been giving serious thought to this, too, as a distance runner. Curious if you wear heavier socks on the Camino, and if so, did you size up the shoe to accommodate them? Thanks for your insights.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi mate. In 2018 I did the Camino ( St John to Santiago) . I chose a pair of Adidas running shoes and did many training walks in them. However after about a week of continuous walking on the Camino I started to develop some blisters, mainly on my little toes. I am doing the Camino del Norte in September this year and after much research and talking to a podiatrist I have chosen the Altra alpine 6. So far so good. I have been using them since March this year and love them. For me it’s the extra room you get in them due to the wider toe box, and I also choose a full size up to allow for the down hills and feet swelling whilst walking. Everyone’s feet are different so it’s down to what works best for you. I would definitely buy them from a reputable store so they can fit you out properly. What ever your choice enjoy. Buen Camino.

Hola @ejg1890 the advice from @slowtraveler is, imho, spot on. I walked in May/June the Camino Frances in Keens a light boot with a broad “toe box” to accommodate my wide “EEE” feet. I also wear a thin inner toe sock and a thicker outer sock. I also increased the amount of inner sole padding. The original just did not cut it for me.
So what to do? If I may find the largest trekking back country store nearest to you. Ask to speak to a customer representative who has experience in off trail walking. Ask for their honest opinion, not the shoe that has the best sales commission. Try on as many pairs as you can. The good stores will have a ramp area to walk up and down.
A sincere Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife & I just completed the Camino Frances. Definitely recommend trail runners, specifically with a rock plate. Lots of points along the Camino have some pretty rocky trails and I believe that road runners would not give you enough protection from bruising or just the continual pressure from those rocky surfaces.

Ever since my 3rd Camino I always walk in hiking sandals. They have good grip, and my toes love the freedom. My feet feel so much better at the end of the day when I wear sandals than they did when I wore trail runners in the Camino.
Never really considered hiking sandals as I had the concern for stability and grip. Which brand(s) do you use? I see REI has a pair from Keen that would stabilize the foot and protect the toes.

Greetings,
Hiking shoes/boots are such a subjective choice but here is my experience. I walked the CF in late April - early June 2022. I began in Altra Lone Peaks. I really liked them while training at home in Ohio, U.S.A. Although they were great at home they were the wrong shoes for me on the Camino Frances. The CF was much too rocky for these shoes and my feet were really beat up and blistered in them. Great shoes but not the right trail for them. In Leon I finally gave up on them and replaced them with a more traditional hiking boot and what a relief! I only ran across one other person wearing them, a much more accomplished hiker than me, who had the same experience. Too many rocks and potential ankle and foot injuries for lightweight trail runners. Of course, everyone has their own experience with shoes/boots.
From my experience, however, I really wished that I’d worn traditional hiking boots 🥾! Despite my foot problems, the Camino Frances was still one of the most wonderful and transformative experiences of my life and I am eager to go again!

Whatever you decide, grace and blessings and Buen Camino!
Daniel (Slowtraveler)
Thanks for the reply. I am concerned with the weight and breathability of boots on such a long hike, as by the end of the day I would be dragging my feet along. But on the other hand the boots provide much more protection. From what I read/seen the CF has more trails the paved road, but the trails appear to be well maintained and easy to walk. Seems you're saying it's not all smooth packed dirt trails? Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had never considered sandals due to stability and grip concerns. What brand(s) do you use? I see REI has a pair from Keen available that appears to stabilize the foot and protects the toes.
I prefer open toed sandals, and have worn a couple of (now discontinued) styles from Merrell. I wore Timberland Garrison Trail Webbing sandals on my recent Norte/Primitivo Camino.

I used Brashers on the Mozarabes. Then switched to Brooks wide fit trails for the Cape Wrath. Also Sealskin socks, which work very well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used trail running shoes and keen sandals. Trail running shoes provided great support for the terrain and the sandals were extremely helpful when it was too hot.

Trail runners for sure. Check out La Sportiva

One of the shoe types I was thinking of taking is a road running shoe. How long might a pair last?
The manufacturers often say 500 km or so, but it depends on the type of sole and cushioning. Of course, you say - they want you to buy new shoes! That is true. Most people who use them seem to find that they are fine and last longer. However, I have some foot problems (perhaps due to my advanced age o_O:eek:) and my feet get sore and bruised if they are not pampered with cushy soles and a rocker style. So for me, I abandon my New Balance More's after 500 km because my feet are starting to be sore, even though the shoes look great. New shoes alleviate the discomfort. My husband cannot understand why I don't wear my shoes into the dust like he happily does.

You will need to test the shoes for yourself. Cushiness and durability tend to be mutually exclusive.

The manufacturers often say 500 km or so, but it depends on the type of sole and cushioning. Of course, you say - they want you to buy new shoes! That is true. Most people who use them seem to find that they are fine and last longer. However, I have some foot problems (perhaps due to my advanced age o_O:eek:) and my feet get sore and bruised if they are not pampered with cushy soles and a rocker style. So for me, I abandon my New Balance More's after 500 km because my feet are starting to be sore, even though the shoes look great. New shoes alleviate the discomfort. My husband cannot understand why I don't wear my shoes into the dust like he happily does.

You will need to test the shoes for yourself. Cushiness and durability tend to be mutually exclusive.
Besides shoes, get toe sock liners. They are fabulous. With foot glide or Vaseline you should be fine…. I m 65 and have had great luck w them… on my 3 rd Camino now…

Besides shoes, get toe sock liners. They are fabulous. With foot glide or Vaseline you should be fine..... I m 65 and have had great luck w them… on my 3 rd Camino now…
I'm glad these work for you. However, I don't think they would help with my metatarsal problems and hard-to-fit wide foot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah! One of the shoe types I was thinking of taking is a road running shoe. How long might a pair last?
I just walked the Portuguese Central from Lisbon in my ASICS Gel Kayano 29s. All up, they have done over 1200km (1000 of those on the Camino & associated travel).
I'm still wearing them for road running & they are holding up well. I've swapped out the standard insole for a more cushioned one.

On our latest Camino, I wore my preferred ASICS road runners, while my friend chose trail runners.
Overall, they performed similarly for us - depending on the trail & the weather. On wet, muddy trails he had a slight advantage in the trail runners, but there was not enough of this type of surface for me to have an issue. On wet & rocky my road runners had as good a grip. If you're using poles (I don't), they'll help on the sections you're concerned about if you decide to go with to your road runners.
Overall, I was happy I'd decided to stick with my road runners, despite that I wear trail runners for my Tas wilderness walks.
I particularly like that they dry so quickly after the rain, especially with my thin sock.

Shoes are always a vexed issue, go with your experience & gut feeling.

I have done Camino twice wearing Teva sandals with Ininji toe socks inside Wright socks & no blisters, even when it rained, only a little moist, can wear smart wool over Ininji if really a wet day & they draw wetness away. Also Tevas have great soles for rocks & downhills. Alternately, if not hot, I wear Altra Timp 4 with Ininiji & Wright socks. Lightweight to carry. My feet get hot & moist easily. At each stop, I take off shoes & socks & let feet dry, if need be put on dry socks. Mostly, I did Camino beginning April, so cool to cold until much further west. If you really worry about getting blisters, take HikeGoo Blister Cream. It also works if you get chaffing between legs because of an unfriendly pant seam rubbing. I bought a tube at REI.com. One more tip. Q-tips are not to be had in Europe. Take some. Also learned from others that blisters should be lanced by thread & needle by piercing from one side to the other leaving thread in place with it hanging out both ends & walking with thread in. Of course cutting off needle! It will continually release fluid as it builds up. Remove thread after healing begins, but never cut away loose skin. It will remove itself eventually. Buen Camino Peregrino!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.