• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Runners?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
When choosing footwear for the Camino de Frances I chose a trail runner and never regretted this, enjoying good comfort and support throughout my walk. Water proof, breathable and light weight were key. I am now planning to walk both the Camino San Salvador and Primitivo this year. From your understanding of these caminos, would the trail runner manage the terrain of these two caminos with equal comfort?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When choosing footwear for the Camino de Frances I chose a trail runner and never regretted this, enjoying good comfort and support throughout my walk. Water proof, breathable and light weight were key. I am now planning to walk both the Camino San Salvador and Primitivo this year. From your understanding of these caminos, would the trail runner manage the terrain of these two caminos with equal comfort?
I’ve worn trail runners on those routes and never had a problem.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wore Hoka Challengers on the San Salvador and Primitivo last summer (after having worn them on the Madrid) and had no issues with them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did the Salvador last September. I wore Hoka mid GTX and was really glad of the support especially crossing the Cordillera de Cantabrica (I think day 3). The descents can also be a bit treacherous. Personally I wouldn’t wear a trail runner with little ankle support on this Camino. However , I am 74 so I can do with all the help I can get 😜

I have walked the Frances, the Portuguese and the Primitivo in Saucony Ride trail runners and have had no problems with them. Husband walked in Keen Targhee hiking sandals, also with no problems. There is plenty of grip on the bottom for the terrain, and I add insoles so there is good cushioning for my feet. Although the setts in Portugal were noticeable...

Boots don't work for me due to an ankle issue from a sprain and the resulting surgery.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trail runners worked just fine on Salvador and Primitivo. I've done the Salvador/Primitivo combination once and the Primitivo by itself once. I've also done the Colorado Trail in them (far gnarlier than anything on any Camino). Boots only necessary for extreme, off-trail cross-country routes where you need to protect ankles from getting banged around or in very deep mud.

Trail runners worked just fine on Salvador and Primitivo. I've done the Salvador/Primitivo combination once and the Primitivo by itself once. I've also done the Colorado Trail in them (far gnarlier than anything on any Camino). Boots only necessary for extreme, off-trail cross-country routes where you need to protect ankles from getting banged around or in very deep mud.
Thanks for the details and also providing comparative details.🙏🏽

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did the Salvador last September. I wore Hoka mid GTX and was really glad of the support especially crossing the Cordillera de Cantabrica (I think day 3). The descents can also be a bit treacherous. Personally I wouldn’t wear a trail runner with little ankle support on this Camino. However , I am 74 so I can do with all the help I can get 😜
Richard: I’m a fellow 70+YO and I share foot issues that come with the birthday disease. I wore Merrell Moabs on my first 2 Caminos, the Francés (low cut) and the Portuguese (mid-ankle), and I’m now prepping for the VDLP. I’m considering Trail Runners for a few reasons:
1. The VDLP appears to be a relatively flat Camino with little need for a more ‘hiking boot’ type
2. I’ll only have to bring 1 pr of full coverage shoes. I can use the TRs both with & w/o backpack
3. Less weight; in both my pack (no extra pair of ‘casual sneakers’), and on my feet

What are your thoughts about footwear on the VDLP? Knowing what you know now, would you change what you wore or keep the same, and most importantly, why? Thanks for your counsel.

I did the VdlP this spring in New Balance Walking shoes and had no issues. In fact have worn the same model on all my Caminos with no foot issues and no blisters.

Waterproof trail runners? I wouldn’t in warm months. The sweat buildup would be a problem in my opinion.

I wore Altra Lone Peaks on this route in September weather and had no issues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I now consider trail runners a no-brainer compared to what I wore in 2021. I wore such on the Primitivo September 2023 in its entirety for 14 days ….The only change I would make is I would get high tops instead of conventional. I would’ve appreciated the extra support as I did. Roll my ankles a couple of time on some sketchy downhill loose terrain. Coupled with wool socks, no blisters whatsoever. Obviously, you need to get a size larger than you think because of the swelling of everybody’s feet regardless. I would NOT get waterproof however which I would consider a mistake choice.

I am planning to start my Camino from SJPP in mid-May. I'm already training in Ultraventure 3 trail running shoes which I really like because of the wide toe box and high cushioning (I am a little overweight).

I thought it was a good choice for my walk until i saw this thread. Now I am unsure again.

Can I also use these shoes for the Camino in spring even with them not being waterproof? Or are they just shoes for the summer?

Rincon is a very good shoe, but Challenger (Wide model best for hot weather) will get you an even better grip and more stability. Just my opinion and experience. Perfect both spring/autumn. No waterproof, because what keeps the water out will also keep the water in = blisters. Non waterproof = drying easily overnight 👍

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am planning to start my Camino from SJPP in mid-May. I'm already training in Ultraventure 3 trail running shoes which I really like because of the wide toe box and high cushioning (I am a little overweight).

I thought it was a good choice for my walk until i saw this thread. Now I am unsure again.

Can I also use these shoes for the Camino in spring even with them not being waterproof? Or are they just shoes for the summer?
They are perfect for spring, stay away from waterproof, go for what feels good for YOUR feet, all feet are different 👍 again, just my opinion..

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back