• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trainers vs Boots and a advice on the backpack

djoker

Hi everyone!

So long story short, me vs the Camino de Sudeste/Via de la Plata next Easter, starting in Verin a total of 180 kms, my first time on the Camino.

About the shoes. I don't know what to do. I heard both trainers and boots are acceptable. I don't own any pair of trekking boots. So I would have to spare the money to buy a good pair, which a disadvantage. Another one, is that I am leaving in less than two months, so even if I buy them today, I won't have much time to get used to them. On the other hand, my trainers are pretty much awesome, I use them to practice any sport and for walks like 10kms or 15, and they never bother me. The only disagvantage I see is that I am not sure how they (trainers) would perform with rainy weather. I have walked outside wearing them when it's raining, but I am talking about a city environment.

As for the backpack, I am rather short and slim (46kgs to 1,55m), so I plan on packing the lightest bag anyone has ever walked the Camino with. :D Seriously, I am a girl and I like the occasional dress and the mascara, etc, but I am very pragmatic and I know that I can't possibly carry a heavy bag. Can you give some advice on the backpack I should buy? Show me some good examples? I don't want to spare much money here either, so I am thinking about buying one in second hand. I already have a backpack from when I interrailed around Eroupe, but it's too big, 55L. How many L would be anice backpack to carry only a few clothes and some food. I really only need a small thing.

Thank you so much, and may our paths cross soon!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Trainers vs Boots is a never ending, never to be settled topic! Everyone has their own preference and each side will defend their opinion to the last bit of tread!

Backpacks - I use the OMM Ultralight 32L that weighs only 600gr.

There are other, new, equally light packs on the market.

I would just go with what your comfortable with ie your trainers its not like your going to be away for months-also buying a 2nd hand backpack imo is just fine-you can go small with a little pack like schoolkids carry or something with a waist strap up to 25l designed for a woman of your stature,I don't think the make realy matters just the comfort.
have fun and buen Camino
Ian

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are plenty of people who complete the Camino in shoes rather than boots. I wore boots, and would probably do so again except perhaps in summer.

On the matter of how big your pack should be, I use a calculator that factors in several variables, including your weight, season you are walking in, how resilient you might be, budget, and how many are in your party. I assume you are travelling alone. I set the calculator for spring, and the 46kg you claim to weigh. For different resilience and budget settings, one gets:
  • pleasantly normal and your budget only extends to purchasing essential additions to your kit - about a 40 li pack. The weight would be around 12kg, and really at the upper level for comfortable hiking, and much more than anyone would recommend for the Camino.
  • you might toughen up just a bit and bring that down to 35li, but it would still be well above a reasonable weight target.
  • spend a bit more on getting good quality gear without going overboard and it comes down to 30 li.
  • to get below the CSJ recommended limit of 15% of body weight, you need to get down to 25li.
  • If you are the sort of ultra-light fanatic who sleeps naked on bedrock, walks barefoot and eats small animals raw, it would be possible to get down to 20li and under 10% of body weight if you were prepared to go all out on light weight gear.

Clearly you need to decide how far you are prepared to go in terms of both comfort and budget, but it seems to me that a volume target of 25li would get you into the right area in terms of pack weight. Were you to choose a larger pack (say 30li) you would need to be disciplined in your packing to to keep the weight under control.

sillydoll said:
Trainers vs Boots is a never ending, never to be settled topic! Everyone has their own preference and each side will defend their opinion to the last bit of tread!

Backpacks - I use the OMM Ultralight 32L that weighs only 600gr.

There are other, new, equally light packs on the market.

Thank you! I am going to check out that backpack.

sagalouts said:
I would just go with what your comfortable with ie your trainers its not like your going to be away for months-also buying a 2nd hand backpack imo is just fine-you can go small with a little pack like schoolkids carry or something with a waist strap up to 25l designed for a woman of your stature,I don't think the make realy matters just the comfort.
have fun and buen Camino
Ian

Exactly. Now that I think about it, it's not that long, and I am used to my trainers. Definitively going to be saving money there, not buying boots.

dougfitz said:
There are plenty of people who complete the Camino in shoes rather than boots. I wore boots, and would probably do so again except perhaps in summer.

On the matter of how big your pack should be, I use a calculator that factors in several variables, including your weight, season you are walking in, how resilient you might be, budget, and how many are in your party. I assume you are travelling alone. I set the calculator for spring, and the 46kg you claim to weigh. For different resilience and budget settings, one gets:
  • pleasantly normal and your budget only extends to purchasing essential additions to your kit - about a 40 li pack. The weight would be around 12kg, and really at the upper level for comfortable hiking, and much more than anyone would recommend for the Camino.
  • you might toughen up just a bit and bring that down to 35li, but it would still be well above a reasonable weight target.
  • spend a bit more on getting good quality gear without going overboard and it comes down to 30 li.
  • to get below the CSJ recommended limit of 15% of body weight, you need to get down to 25li.
  • If you are the sort of ultra-light fanatic who sleeps naked on bedrock, walks barefoot and eats small animals raw, it would be possible to get down to 20li and under 10% of body weight if you were prepared to go all out on light weight gear.

Clearly you need to decide how far you are prepared to go in terms of both comfort and budget, but it seems to me that a volume target of 25li would get you into the right area in terms of pack weight. Were you to choose a larger pack (say 30li) you would need to be disciplined in your packing to to keep the weight under control.

Thank you so much! I am not travelling alone, with a friend and possibly my father too.

I am fit and resilient, but I am not very strong. This means I can go jogging, play basketball, anything cardio exercise. But I am terrible with anaerobic exercise. I have traveled around Europe for over 30 days in a row, with my 50L backpack, it was like 11kg and it was rather hard on me.

So it's just a week, probably less, so I am going to be carrying the lightest bag I can pack. I was thinking about a 25L. Good thing about being small is that your clothes are also very small and it makes a bigger difference than one would think.

It's a very tough world for us tiny girls. :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
djoker said:
But I am terrible with anaerobic exercise.
:) I doubt very much that you need to get into your anaerobic work zone on the Camino - its a long distance walk, not a sprint. Provided you take the big slopes gently, you should be fine.

djoker said:
I am not travelling alone, with a friend and possibly my father too.
If you are confident enough in your companions, you might start working out what things can be shared, like only carrying one mobile and charger, a shared camera, guidebooks, first aid pack, etc.

You do have to feel confident, though. I started out with a friend in 2010, but we didn't walk well together during the day, and only met up in the evenings. Last year, I saw two women from the US walking on St Olav's Way split up after 22 days walking together, and finish individually a couple of days apart. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

Regards,

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.