• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training for the camino no backpack.

jazzy33

Hi,

Anyone out there come across or can recomend a training program for the full camino from St Jean?

I have a bad back and knees so I am going to have a luggage company carry my pack.

I have seen a few programs but they only take into account if you are carrying a heavy pack.

I will need to train up for it as I am recovering from injuries but a bit overwhlemed as to how one trains for such a walk.

how far ahead should I start? (June/july camino 2013 start)
how to fit it in around everyday life/work hours when the distances on the camino are sometimes up to 30 kms a day?

really appreciate any advice.

:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good comfortable boots/shoes are the most important thing, break them in well so they feel like a glove. Start with small walks, 2 to 4 k and build up to about 14k. If you can walk 14k 3 days in a row you will be ok. If you can do 14k you can do double that no problem.

Hi Jazzy

As you're a little unclear as to the nature of your injury I'm assuming that it's something that of itself once you recover will let you build up fitness levels, my partner was in a similar position to you and was able to cover the Sarria - Santiago stretch in 6 days without using a baggage service so using a baggage service should give you a nice margin. Assuming you live in an urban area start by walking a duration that is comfortable for you 3/4 times a week. Each week increase the distance by about 10% to 15% which means that after 6 to 8 weeks you will be walking double the starting distance. One day at the weekend try finding forest paths and do the same procedure, on the road walks runners are aok but on the forest walks break in the footwear you intend using on your Camino. As your fitness improves then start carrying your Camino day pack lightly loaded on the forest walks and week by week gradually increase the contents so that after a few months you get to be carrying the weight you actually intend carrying each day. In the last couple of months before you start your Camino, try to do the forest walks twice a week preferably on back to back days and follow with a long road walk on the 3rd day, if you can manage this then you will be well able for the Camino. I won't go into choice of Camino footwear or backpacks as there are many postings on the forum re these and what suits one person ideally can prove a nightmare for another.

Buen Camino

Seamus

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jazzy
If you skip St Jean and start from Roncesvalles and stop at Sahgun before continuing on to El Burgo Ranero you will not worry about 30k , one can usually do 15-20 kilometers a day and still find an albergue. The transport company is a good idea but at 5-9 Euro a day it will get expensive quickly. Do consider trekking poles they shift the weight from your back to your arms and shoulders, are a blessing uphill and down hill, as well as for balancing over Galician bridges. Very comfortable hiking boots with high tops, much more support for your ankles, your knees, and lower back-a twisted ankle due to less than reliable footwear and a bum back will knock you out. Many people experience pain in the arches of their feet, their ankles and blisters those first days, sliding or hopping around albergues each with their own version of "The Santiago Shuffle" so prepare well.. Spain is a modern country, there are trains or buses from most places only some few not connected. July/August means many pilgrims which can be fun, over-crowded lodgings which is less fun, and 30 degree C. plus heat all day long 30 which may approach 40 not fun at all. 1 liter water = 1 more kilo on your back. Buen Camino
Miki

We met a gentleman using a carrier service and taking things gently because of his knees. However he did carry a small pack with daily rations, water etc, credencial and a waterproof. Can I suggest that you practise with this minimal weight of necessities while your main bag has your clothes etc. A Sea to Summit 'silsac' (from Amazon) weighs only 68gms.
Good luck with the training and buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
jazzy-- I am on a similar situation as I suffer from a lower back deteriorating condition that would make carrying a backpack pretty much a "death sentence" for any Camino goals. Hence, I used Jacotrans Baggage Transfer and recommend them wholeheartedly.

If using the transfer service, I found using a treadmill and weighs was the absolute best training I could have done. I had never walked more than 5 miles at a time in my life until the very first day at SJPDP. It turns out the treadmill exercises the same muscle group(s) you will use the most on your Camino. I remembered feeling strong going uphill because I had trained specifically that muscle group! Use weights to strenghten your upper body (work you way up repetitions with 3+lbs weights). Use the treadmill at least 4-5 times/week, minimum 30 minutes, specifically the treadmill with up/down incline. Remember (please!) that the Camino is NOT about speed, but about endurance, so take your time (many recommend forcing yourself to take a minimum of 10 minute break every 2 hours). REMEMBER to stretch (either sitting or against a wall) your calves, back, quadruceps, and heels before/after the treadmill training.

As far as from where to start, I cannot even fathom NOT starting from SJPDP :!: That said, if you have flexibility, start from SJPDP on a good weather day. The views are spectacular!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Oliviares,

Thank you so much for all your help! I have bulging disks in my lower back and had a knee reconstrucion 2 yrs ago so a day pack is the only option. Would you mind shedding any more light on your experince with the luggage transfer company you used?

great training tips, I also have my heart set on doing the full camino from sjpp, a bit worried about the hills though!

:)

jazzy33 said:
Would you mind shedding any more light on your experince with the luggage transfer company you used?:)

I used http://www.jacotrans.com/. It can work in various options:

1. You email them your itinerary and they email you a quote. If in agreement, you can pay by credit card and just drop off by 0800 hours at the agreed drop off and you are set.

2. Email them and ask for a brochure which lists the transfer points /drop off (from/to places/lodgings). You can then plan your itinerary based on their transfer points. If the transfer lodging is not listed in their brochure they are usually pretty good at working with you.

3. You can call then the night before and tell them which drop off point your bag will be in. The Hotels usually have pre-made Jacotrans envelopes. Fill out where to transfer to, place your payment in the envelope and drop off the luggage by 0800 hours.

A lot of people use Express Bouricott (http://www.expressbourricot.com) for baggage transfer from the SJPDP-Roncesvalles portion, even if planning to carry their on from that point on. They are also the ones I used to get from the Pamplona Bus Station to SJPDP; their service was impecable.

As far as the SJPDP-Roncesvalles hills, honestly, I did not think it was nowhere near as tough as I originally though. Most the uphill is gradual, so it really isn't that bad. I thing ensuring ankle support is actually more critical. There were only two spots that I would describe as challenging, neither of which were even 1/4 mile long! The downhill is actually more challenging than the uphill (choose the longer end trail after the Collado Loepeder!). Same goes for the Roncesvalles-Zubiri portion; the downhill last 6 kms REQUIRE a walking stick; get one at SJPDP.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back