• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transfer time through CDG

Walks2way

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Our plane ticket to Biarritz has us flying Delta into CDG airport then catching another flight (HOP/Air France) to Biarritz. I am surprised that our short layover of 1.25 hours between flights was an option, but even so I am concerned we will miss the second leg. What has been your experience arriving at CDG and the amount of time it takes to get through Customs? It always seems like when you’re in a hurry the second flight will leave from the terminal farthest from arrival, so we need to factor in that transit time as well. I haven’t yet decided whether we will check luggage. How long did it take you to get through CDG?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Walks2way

That 1.25 hours seems very short. As you can imagine, CDG is a very busy airport with many international arrivals. In my experience, it's not unusual to take at least that much time getting off the plane, waiting your turn and going through immigration. If you check in luggage, and you have to collect it to take to your next flight ... And, as you say, if you need to change terminals ... or to a far flung area of the same terminal ... more time.

Do you know which terminal/hall you are flying in to and out of?
If you do check in luggage, is it being checked all the way through to Biarritz?
If it's all on the one ticket, maybe you are going through a transit lane which would be quicker.
Did you buy the ticket through a travel agent? If so, I'd be asking them these questions.

I'm sorry to be negative - and maybe I'm missing something that others might chime in about. I would not be confident of making the flight with such a short time, but you might be lucky on the day. If you're willing to risk it, I would definitely not be checking in luggage unless it’s going through to your final destination.

Depending on when you're travelling, maybe you have time to change to a later flight to Biarritz?

Wishing you well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes that’s also my understanding if bought as one through ticket. But nonetheless it’s a very short time in between. Wishing you all the best @Walks2way 😎

Despite the fact that I travelled domestic inside the EU and did not go through the customs procedure at CDG I did need almost an hour to reach the airports railway station to change the airport.

That leads to my assumption that 1.25h is quite challenging to reach your next flight.
Maybe you can rebook your connecting flight?

Best wishes!

My wife and I transited through CDG earlier in the year, in and out on Air France. Schengen entry and antiquated security gates didn't help, but we had one hour, and that was ample. We had time for a coffee once we were inside the departure terminal. It was an advantage to be in the same terminal. I think Delta and Air France are part of the Sky Team alliance, but I don't know whether the Air France regional airlines use the same terminal as Delta.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That is a very short time between flights considering that you have to go through immigration in Paris. Two factors that you have no control over: 1) will your flight arrive on time? and 2) the number of people going through immigration at the same time you are. By the time you get to the gate and deplane, you’re now looking at less than 1.25 hours to catch your second flight and getting to the gate before the boarding door closes. As @trecile said, the airline is responsible for getting you to Biarritz, but you might also be stuck in CdG for an undetermined amount of time.

With that said and to answer your last question, I have gotten through immigration quickly and I have also been stuck in a long line. Absolutely no way to predict this. As a side note, I wouldn’t check your backpack. Carry it into the cabin with you. This has less to do with recollecting your baggage which could slow you down and more to making sure your pack arrives with you at your final destination. If it doesn’t arrive with you, that’s another whole set of worries you just don’t need.

If this were my situation, I’d give Delta a call and chat with them about your options. I’ve flown into CdG twice for Caminos. Both times, I took the high speed train to Bayonne and then the commuter rail on to SJPP. Good luck.

Air France offers this short connection to the Biarritz flight through CDG, they offered it to us on our flight coming up in August. I didn't take them up on it because it's a Friday, and I feared the later flight would be full by the time I got there from missing the earlier flight. @trecile is right that you don't need to be concerned, there is another flight a few hours later, and they will put you on that one if you miss the connection. My experience on multiple trips through CDG is that the only way you will make that short connection is your flight landing early in Paris, which it might depending on wind conditions. The morning rush at CDG is quite intense, as all the flights from NA all land in the same three hour window. I have had ten minute line ups at immigration, but also a full hour on a bad day.

ASK when you check in if your bag is checked through to Biarritz. It probably will be. In this case, you will not see your checked bag again until Biarritz. When you get off your flight from the states, follow the signs for connecting flights. There is a different area for customs and immigration for passengers on connecting flights. You will clear immigration and customs in Paris at this point - the days of carrying your bag past the bored customs man are over. Relax. As an old business colleague of mine used to say, "you'll either just make it, or you just won't". Either way, you will make it to Biarritz.

That's quite tight. You may just make it but I'd be worried if you had checked bags. Would recommend a later connection if at all possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The truth is that some people can live with tight connections and others can't. Two years ago, I was flying from Seattle to London to Johannesburg to Victoria Falls. My connection time in Johannesburg was an hour and fifteen minutes. I knew that was ample time to land, go through passport control, and walk to the gate where I would board my flight to Victoria Falls.

Because I flew from London to Johannesburg in business class, I was one of the first people off the plane. As I approached the passport control station, three adults from my flight came running up behind me. They were shouting "Tight connection, tight connection!" in hopes that I would step aside and allow them to go through security first. They were even waiving their passports above their heads to emphasize their plight. I had no problem stepping aside because I knew I had plenty of time to make my flight.

After passport control, I continued to saunter to my gate. I even stopped for a quick snack and did a little shopping. When I arrived at my gate, I found the "tight connection, tight connection!" trio still trying to catch their breath from their mad dash through the airport.

IMHO it’ll be a problem. Whether it’s yours entirely or shared with the airline is down to whether you bought your tickets as one combined journey or not.

I’ve successfully travelled over many years through numerous airports in countries with poor infrastructure; but I would never choose to transit through either airport in Paris or through Rome.

I have 1hr 40m to make my connecting flight at CDG. I’m only doing carry on luggage and with the help of God… and kind plane staff (Allowing me to leave near the front) I pray I’ll make it 🙏

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hope so @Consigliere 🙏

My reply above was not intended to be pessimistic or alarmist - just responding to the OP’s question, based on my experience of many arrivals into CDG.

Good luck may be on your side that day as per other stories told above where people have had even less time and still had time to spare. ☺️

Hope so @Consigliere 🙏

My reply above was not intended to be pessimistic or alarmist - just responding to the OP’s question, based on my experience of many arrivals into CDG.

Good luck may be on your side that day as per other stories told above where people have had even less time and still had time to spare. ☺️
Thanks Pel,

I didn’t take it as alarmist… actually it made me think. in 2013 I arrived same day, time and date. Believe it or not. It took 10 min to clear customs. I did another search and it seems others find early mornings before 8am to be very quiet.

Yea, I’ve been super muddled the last 2 months. Won’t be the last time I mess up something right in front of my eyes. 😳

Anyway, worse case I loose $80. Air France has that 9.15am super cheap ATM. Cheap price but tight timelines. Im afraid my desire to start this Camino with faith might bite me… then again, who knows.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like your attitude 😍 And you’re right. Can largely depend on how many flights arrive around the same time. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
The last thing I want to do is to add to any of the negativity expressed in this thread but I personally avoid transfers, departures and arrivals at CDG like the plague and have for over 20 years.
More power to you if you can survive the stress.
I had a connection there a few years ago and I am dependent on WC access. It took almost two and one half hours from gate to gate after getting preferential service and being whisked through immigration and customs at several different terminals and then using a mini bus with a wheelchair lift to board my plane.
BIO, BOD and AMS are now my airport of choice to get to and from the USA.

Last edited:
Our plane ticket to Biarritz has us flying Delta into CDG airport then catching another flight (HOP/Air France) to Biarritz. I am surprised that our short layover of 1.25 hours between flights was an option, but even so I am concerned we will miss the second leg. What has been your experience arriving at CDG and the amount of time it takes to get through Customs? It always seems like when you’re in a hurry the second flight will leave from the terminal farthest from arrival, so we need to factor in that transit time as well. I haven’t yet decided whether we will check luggage. How long did it take you to get through CDG?
I have travelled many times through CDG to Bordeaux and while 1.25 is doable, it is very close and depending on timer of day and crowds, likely to be very difficult. If you have booked a ticket thru to Biarritz, they will put you on the next available flight out. I always check the time of the next flight or 2 so I know what to expect if things don't work out. You can even see how many available seats are left for the next flight. You could ask to change to the later flight if you are really uncomfortable. Regarding luggage, if you are checking, I have had bad luck at an alarming rate at CDG - my checked luggage often doesn't arrive with me. I don't want to cause further alarm, but if you do check, make sure to ask at the gate if your bag has been loaded onto your connecting flight. Don't let them "yes you.." without seeing them check for it. Delta's app should show that info too. FYI I'm taking the train to Bayonne and on to SJPDP for my first Camino!
Buen Camino - and good luck with your arrival!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We've flown into CDG many times, even as a transit airport. CDG is very accommodating, particularly Terminal 2. It appears you will arrive in terminal 2E and perhaps also depart on the Air France HOP at the same terminal. Customs at CDG is pretty efficient. If you can only do carry-on, I would advise. We've traveled with carry-on luggage only for the past 30 years ... it's the only way to go. We chose back packs for our August-October Camino that can be carried on. Buen Camino.

We flew into CDG last September, on a North American red-eye (Boston), landed around the same time as all the other red eye flights. There was a huge crush of travellers. We did not clear Passport Control gates for 90 minutes.

We had opted to spend the night in Paris, then take the TGV the following morning. So not needing to worry about missing a connecting flight/train was a good choice for us.

Jim

Thanks all for the helpful replies. Our flights are indeed on the same ticket, and the only checked bag we might have would be our hiking poles. We don’t mind taking a later flight to BIQ but we don’t want to spend the night in Paris. I will contact Delta to discuss.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used to regularly fly to Cannes via CDG on business trips using Air France. CDG has a reputation for not being able to promptly process checked baggage and transfer it to the second leg in time for departure. In my experience this meant that I had no baggage when I arrived in Nice airport on five occasions! In my case the gap between arriving and departing was around two hours.

I flew Delta/Air France from Seattle to CDG unconcerned about time. After all, I had 4 hours from landing to make it to Gare Montparnasse in time for the train to Bayonne. Ha! First, the flight was delayed 45 minutes out of Seattle. On arrival, immigration consumed 45 minutes. At baggage claim I could not locate my trekking poles. Another 30 minutes to determine they were in the oversized baggage area. A normal 40 minute taxi ride from CDG to Montparnasse was 1.5 hours. I made my train with 15 minutes to spare. I quipped in my journal, "next time budget a couple of weeks to get from CDG to a Paris train station!" Best laid plans . . .

A little off topic but there are trains from CDG to Bayonne. Not as frequently as from Montparnasse but for those not needing / wanting to go into Paris it can be a good option. Avoids having to take the RER or bus or taxi into Paris etc 😎

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry for my pessimism.! AVOID France this summer for transiting! ! Personally, I would never book a ticket, nowadays, with transfer time of 1.25 hours at CDG or any airport in Paris. Who knows when the French air controllers will have their next slow down or pilots will strike, or farm workers will block the roads to the airports, or baggage handlers will need more time for breakfast😂😂! If, one arrives on time, if one can transfer in a timely fashion, if the handlers get Your bag on the next flight.? IMO, I would not do this in France! Too tight! My niece was going to fly Delta to Florence (with a possible change in CDG) but after my encouragement, was able to reschedule with the transfer being made in Amsterdam. If you have to go through CDG, on that ticket don’t check your bag! And if there are slow downs,don’t think you will necessarily be able to count on the trains running either!

Last edited:
I have 1hr 40m to make my connecting flight at CDG. I’m only doing carry on luggage and with the help of God… and kind plane staff (Allowing me to leave near the front) I pray I’ll make it 🙏
The key to managing CDG is to have your incoming overseas flight and your connecting flight within Europe be with the same airline or at least partner airlines and on the same ticket, with luggage checked to final destination. I always fly Air France Vancouver, Canada to CDG and then Air France from CDG to Madrid or Lisbon,etc. That way, I only have to shift from terminal 2E to terminal 2F. That transfer takes me 30 minutes on a good day and 60 minutes on a bad day. That way, I make my connecting flights, which are usually are 80 minutes to 120 minutes after I arrive. I always have checked luggage but this isn't an issue because Air France will hold its plane (within reason) at CDG for the connecting luggage from another Air France flight.
Once, I went from Malaga (KLM partner) to Schiphol (KLM) to Vancouver and we were very late leaving Malaga but KLM held the plane at Schiphol because it was a KLM partner. The luggage was delayed one day but not such a problem going home.
Whenever I have to pickup my luggage and check in again for another flight (different ticket) at the same airport, I always have a 3 to 4 hour window for the transition.

Since both flights are on one ticket, I’d only worry about missing that connecting flight if there was a financial hit by not arriving at the final destination on time.

Since the airline has to look after you in Paris, you’ll eventually get on another flight.

If stuck there awhile … 18 things to do at CDG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since both flights are on one ticket, I’d only worry about missing that connecting flight if there was a financial hit by not arriving at the final destination on time.

Since the airline has to look after you in Paris, you’ll eventually get on another flight.
I agree. Not at CDG, but I have had tighter transit times than the hour that you have at a smaller international airport and had no difficulty, even if I didn't feel there was any time to waste doing some last minute duty free shopping! The airline has to look after you until they can complete the travel you have booked with them on the one ticket.

On the other hand, I have been stranded when travelling on different tickets for different airlines, and when the earlier flight was delayed, missed the second. At that stage my insurer required a minimum spacing of six hours between arrival and departure times to cover any delayed flight. I didn't! It's when I learned to check the fine print more carefully on travel insurance policies.

Keep in mind that "arrival time" means when the airplane's wheels touch the ground. Arrival time does not mean arrival at the gate. After arrival, there is the time to move the plane to the gate, and depending on the arrival runway, the location of the gate, and other ground traffic, this can take some time. On a recent arrival in Madrid the time to the gate was more than 10 minutes (and it seemed like 30...in Hong Kong and Incheon (Seoul), 10 minutes would be fast...but few pilgrims heading to Camino routes go by Hong Kong or Seoul.) And then there is the time to get everyone off the plane. This is typically fairly fast, but sometimes not. Sometimes there is quite a delay in getting the jetway positioned correctly and the door opened.

Charles de Gaulle and other large, busy airports (Heathrow, Madrid, Frankfurt, Singapore, Hong Kong, Incheon, Bangkok) are efficiently run and typically well-signed, but simply because of the size and there being so many travelers, can be confusing and intimidating to those at the airport for the first time.

I certainly see the appeal to fly into CDG and then to Biarritz. Personally, I prefer to fly into CDG, have a hotel in the Montparnasse area of Paris, go there, spend a night, then catch an early-morning train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne. Much has been written here on the forum about that.

Buen Camino!
--james--

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back