• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Roncevalles to Biarritz/Bayonne?

annarose816

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Conques (June 13 -July 5 2014) - Conques - Lectoure (June 21 - July 7, 2015)
HI everyone!

My family and I are setting out on our third stage of the Le Puy route, this time from Lectoure to Roncevalles (which I guess counts as one day on the "real" Camino, lol). We're doing things in a slightly uncommon order - we figured we'd rather finish our walk this year with the Napoleon route, since it's difficult and we'll presumably be in better shape at the end of a walk than at the beginning of the next one :)

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get from Roncevalles to Biarritz in any sensible, reliable fashion - we're happy to pay a taxi, or a person pretending to be a taxi...

Anyone have any thoughts? I did reachout to the hostel, and they gave me some leads but they're all non-responsive.

Thanks in advance! And if anyone else is setting out on June 20th from Lectoure, we'll see you on the Chemin!

Anna

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you tried Express Bourricot ?(spelling might not be spot on). Pilgrim orientated taxi service based in St Jean PP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The express Bourricot does unfortunately not go to Roncesvalles...

CONDA (ALSA) operates buses from Pamplona to SJPdP. Apparently they can pick up passengers at Roncesvalles bound for SJPdP.

Express Bourricot is a private hire taxi specializing in Pilgrim transportation. You can get a ride from Roncesvalles to SJPdP. You might also be able to arrange to go the entire distance to Biarritz.

At SJPdP take SNCF train to Bayonne. Then take Chronoplus bus 14 from Gare Bayonne to Anglet/Biarritz Airport.

Alternatively, take Autocares Arteida bus from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. (note they do not operate Sunday)

Then take ALSA bus from Pamplona to Plaza Pio XII San Sebastian.

ALSA and PESA both operate buses from San Sebastian/Donostia to Biarritz Airport.

If neither of ALSA or PESA offer a useful schedule, take Donostialdea Metro (Euskotren) from Amara station San Sebastian (700m from Plaza Pio XII) to Hendaia. Take Transports64 bus 816 (hourly) from Gare d'Hendaye (co-located with Hendaia) to Biarritz Airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they do! Read their web cited above.
I just talked to them on the phone about a transport from Biarritz airport to Roncesvalles and they stated they do not go any further than SJPDP?!
The lady said I would have to take the bus from there :/

I just asked them because the service to Roncesvalles is offered on their website, but it doesn't seem to be true? I'm quite confused.

Last edited:
I just talked to them on the phone about a transport from Biarritz airport to Roncesvalles and they stated they do not go any further than SJPDP?!
The lady said I would have to take the bus from there :/

I just asked them because the service to Roncesvalles is offered on their website, but it doesn't seem to be true? I'm quite confused.

Sorry for any confusion due to my error.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think - again, I may be wrong - they do Biarritz-SJPP and SJPP-Roncesvalles but not Biarritz-Roncesvalles. Note also (this must be new) that you can no longer just join them at Biarritz airport if they have seats available. You need to send them a text or email beforehand. It's clearly stated and highlighted in their web info.

The information I was given both per mail and on the phone was at times not coherent.
Apparently their drivers are not allowed to drive after 6pm.
Connections to Roncesvalles are made every morning at 10am, along with backpack transportation.
After some more mails, forth and back, she was friendly enough to make an exception, so now we don't have to spend an extra night in SJPDP for nothing, before starting out hike.
Problem solved :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back