• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Santiago to Douro Valley

Kaytee444

Time of past OR future Camino
February 2023
Hi! My name is Katy and I am headed out for my first Camino with two of my friends tomorrow! We are thrilled!
One question we had for the group was we are planning on going to Douro valley after the Camino and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the best ways to get there?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kaytee444,

Try Rome2Rio for various transport possibities. You might consider going to Porto and then east along the Douro. Check out posts in
this thread by fellow forum member Jungleboy for further ideas.

Buen camino/ Bom caminho to all of you!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The train day trip up the Valley from Porto is delightful and gives you time for lunch and a winery visit depending upon when you disembark. The tracks are often closer to the river than the road and give a far better immersion into that valley. Certainly a car would be better for an extended visit or if you have specific destinations in mind that are not serviced by the train.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The most beautiful part of the Douro Valley is east of Regua or Pinhao. So if you are going to rent a car and drive into the valley from Porto, I would hold off on a scenic train ride till you are further into the Douro Valley. The train from Pinhao to Pocinho is an old chugger and it takes more than an hour each way with a stop at the end of the line in Pocinho for the driver to rest and get a coffee in one of the two cafes in the little hamlet. There is nothing to do in Pocinho and it is not pretty, but the ride itself is really great, and the train goes through a part of the valley that is inaccessible to cars. I always see a lot of people getting off the train in Pinhao (I'm guessing they've come from Porto or Regua), and I'm sure it's a nice trip, but the real showstopper is from Pinhao to Pocinho, IMHO.

Great wineries in Pinhao and a very scenic ride from Porto.

The most beautiful part of the Douro Valley is east of Regua or Pinhao...The train from Pinhao to Pocinho... takes more than an hour each way with a stop at the end of the line in Pocinho...There is nothing to do in Pocinho and it is not pretty, but the ride itself is really great, and the train goes through a part of the valley that is inaccessible to cars. I always see a lot of people getting off the train in Pinhao (I'm guessing they've come from Porto or Regua), and I'm sure it's a nice trip, but the real showstopper is from Pinhao to Pocinho, IMHO.
One other consideration, if thinking about using a car, is the road quality in the area. A few years ago, four of us rented a car for a week and toured some central-Portugal areas that we hadn't seen before.

Part of the trip was driving the roads on both north and south sides of the Douro (we'd previously done the Porto > Regua part by train).

These are narrow roads and the south side, particularly, was one of the scariest drives I've ever been on. Very few pull-outs, serious curves, and Portuguese beer trucks in a big hurry to supply the various cafés along the route. Thus a lot of tailgating. I wasn't the driver, but our driver, someone pretty experienced at mountain roads, etc. said afterwards that he had not found it a fun drive.

Your tolerance may vary...me, I'd take the train!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The most beautiful part of the Douro Valley is east of Regua or Pinhao. So if you are going to rent a car and drive into the valley from Porto, I would hold off on a scenic train ride till you are further into the Douro Valley. The train from Pinhao to Pocinho is an old chugger and it takes more than an hour each way with a stop at the end of the line in Pocinho for the driver to rest and get a coffee in one of the two cafes in the little hamlet. There is nothing to do in Pocinho and it is not pretty, but the ride itself is really great, and the train goes through a part of the valley that is inaccessible to cars. I always see a lot of people getting off the train in Pinhao (I'm guessing they've come from Porto or Regua), and I'm sure it's a nice trip, but the real showstopper is from Pinhao to Pocinho, IMHO.
Hi, I've also heard this is the most ruggedly beautiful part of the trip. My husband and I and are 2 teens are planning on taking the Miradouro train from Porto to Pinhao because we are staying near Pinhao at a Quinta for 2 nights. I am interested in going to the end of the line to Pocinho, but I'm wondering how we would get back to Pinhao easily so that we can grab a taxi to the Quinta-knowing that we likely won't be able to get a taxi there from Pocinho? Do we really want to wait 40 minutes (after riding for already more than 2 hours) for the conductor break, and then get back on the return trip to Pinhao?

Do we really want to wait 40 minutes (after riding for already more than 2 hours) for the conductor break, and then get back on the return trip to Pinhao?
That’s a question only you can answer. You will not be able to get a taxi in Pocinho back to Pinhao, train is your only option. The train from Pinhao to Pocinho is not two hours, in fact it is not much more than an hour. But when you add in the break, it’s a half day trip, no doubt about it. I would not take a train from Regua to Pinhao or Porto to Regua, but that’s just me.

One other consideration, if thinking about using a car, is the road quality in the area. A few years ago, four of us rented a car for a week and toured some central-Portugal areas that we hadn't seen before.

Part of the trip was driving the roads on both north and south sides of the Douro (we'd previously done the Porto > Regua part by train).

These are narrow roads and the south side, particularly, was one of the scariest drives I've ever been on. Very few pull-outs, serious curves, and Portuguese beer trucks in a big hurry to supply the various cafés along the route. Thus a lot of tailgating. I wasn't the driver, but our driver, someone pretty experienced at mountain roads, etc. said afterwards that he had not found it a fun drive.

Your tolerance may vary...me, I'd take the train!

I met an Irish couple last week in Ponte de Lima who were still somewhat in shock from driving those roads…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back