• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from SJPP to Paris

tangata hikoi

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Pamploma (April/May 2014)
VDLP March 2019 Sanabres April 2019
Finisterre/Muxia April 2019
I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me work out how to return to Paris from SJPP.

Is it true there is only one train a day that leaves in the afternoon from SJPP that connects to the Paris train in Bayonne and travels overnight arriving early the next morning? I've been trying to see the options and this is the only one I can find. I need to be in Paris the evening of Friday May 9th and would prefer to arrive mid afternoon or as close to that as possible. The only train I can find has me arriving about 7am and after 6 weeks away I suspect a long day in Paris is not what I'll be looking for.

With thanks
Megg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me work out how to return to Paris from SJPP.

Is it true there is only one train a day that leaves in the afternoon from SJPP that connects to the Paris train in Bayonne and travels overnight arriving early the next morning? I've been trying to see the options and this is the only one I can find. I need to be in Paris the evening of Friday May 9th and would prefer to arrive mid afternoon or as close to that as possible. The only train I can find has me arriving about 7am and after 6 weeks away I suspect a long day in Paris is not what I'll be looking for.

With thanks
Megg
Megg,
Vueling (log onto Iberia.com) has a flight direct to Paris for 110 euros. I don't know what you're spending for the train but it has to be AT LEAST that much.

You might leave SJPdP for Bayonne on May 8 in the afternoon at 13:21 or 16:35 and stay in a hotel by the station, ie the Monte Carlo. Then on May 9 take the train from Bayonne at 08:04 > Dax 08:57 > Bordeaux 11:18 > Paris combo arriving in Paris at 14:37 on May 9. See http://www.voyages-sncf.com for more info.

MM

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For up-to-date train timetables and online booking check out www.sncf.com. Can't check this far ahead so I checked Friday times in April (which may differ slightly but at least it will give you an idea)... As for Friday trains arriving in Paris in the afternoon in April there was a train at around 5:50am taking 6h47m travel time and getting into Paris Montparnasse Train Station at 12:37pm. Price was around €70. I suggest you check that website and timetables closer to the time for exact train times on the date you want...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for replies so far. I've not been able to see any other train other than the one I mentioned initially on my post despite looking for the one suggested by mspath so maybe as you suggest, irishgurrl, the timetable for that date is not yet up....I'll look again at a closer date. That makes some sense and might explain my problem finding options for travel!
This helps!

There are 4 trains per day from SJPdP to Bayonne. The first leaves SJPdP at 0550 and gets to Bayonne at 0716.

There are 2trains leaving from Bayonne at 0805 and 0921 that arrive in Paris by 1800. The second train from SJPdP arrives at 1045. (which is fewer than if you were travelling next week ... so perhaps the sked isn't complete yet)

So ... yes there is only one train that you can catch from SJPdP that will get you to Paris by midafternoon ... but its not overnight.

If you use the SNCF website be advised planning works better from SJPdP to Bayonne and Bayonne to Paris ... I find if I try to combine it as SJPdP to Paris I will get limited results. I think the website only provides connections for a certain wait window.

SNCF TER Acquitane (see Ter 62)
http://www.ter-sncf.com/regions/aquitaine/fr/default.aspx

SNCF Horaires
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/horaires/resultats?hid=NA

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Again thanks for help everyone.....but I am struggling a bit with the websites...the French websites show fares available at times that would suit (as per mspath's post) but when I look on the English website - which I am confident in not making a mistake with my booking ( http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey ) the only times available are the overnight trains.... weird! I may need to find a French speaking person to help me book as I don't want to make a mistake. I feel I do need to book as that weekend is a French public holiday and I need to get back for work the following Monday.
I'll look more at the weekend when I'll have more time...

Again thanks for help everyone.....but I am struggling a bit with the websites...the French websites show fares available at times that would suit (as per mspath's post) but when I look on the English website - which I am confident in not making a mistake with my booking ( http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey ) the only times available are the overnight trains.... weird! I may need to find a French speaking person to help me book as I don't want to make a mistake. I feel I do need to book as that weekend is a French public holiday and I need to get back for work the following Monday.
I'll look more at the weekend when I'll have more time...

Three points:

-uncheck the box for direct trains;

-if you were travelling next week there would be at least 4 trains leaving Bayonne after 0730 and arriving Paris before 1600. This indicates the schedule on the SNCF site is not fully updated that far into the future or there is a radical change in service coming soon. None of the TGV trains are indicating; and,

-have you considered flying from Biarritz airport? The airport is 40 minutes urban bus from Bayonne station.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've found WWW.captaintrain.com and it has the fares I need in English.....phew...can book a ticket now!

According to the Man in Seat61 (www.seat61,com) there is some functionality difficulty with some of the SCNF sites which is maybe what I have experienced but Captain train seems to get round that.

I'll look at flying also, its a good idea.

I've found WWW.captaintrain.com and it has the fares I need in English.....phew...can book a ticket now!

According to the Man in Seat61 (www.seat61,com) there is some functionality difficulty with some of the SCNF sites which is maybe what I have experienced but Captain train seems to get round that.

I'll look at flying also, its a good idea.

Another possibility is the trains are already booked ... you mentioned a holiday? Im getting info as expected 7 May and 12 May but not 8 9 10 11 May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both May 1, La Fête du Travail (Labor day), and May 8, Fête de la Victoire (the end of WW2), are public holidays in France and ALWAYS times of heavy travel. This year they occur on Thursday. Many people will take also take the following Friday off and to make a pont (bridge) and have a long weekend. In Spain May 1, Día del trabajador (Labor day) is also a public holiday.

MM

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ok, just to let you know what I've done...have booked a train from Bayonne to Paris via https://www.capitainetrain.com - which is a website in English, has lots of timetable options and allowed my booking. The problem I was having is that the main website in English for SCNF (RailEurope) does NOT have all the trains available listed !! Have no idea why this is but this is what generated my request for info on this thread. Looking at the SCNF French website it does show lots more options for trains but I was unable to book on the site as a French address is needed - it would not accept my postcode.
Once again, I'm appreciative of the generosity of people willing to help out here and provide support and advice. Much of my trip - starting in 3 weeks - will be 'resourced' from people here providing thoughtful and caring support and guidance. I look forward to being able to help others out in time myself and repay the kindness.

ok, just to let you know what I've done...have booked a train from Bayonne to Paris via https://www.capitainetrain.com - which is a website in English, has lots of timetable options and allowed my booking. The problem I was having is that the main website in English for SCNF (RailEurope) does NOT have all the trains available listed !! Have no idea why this is but this is what generated my request for info on this thread. Looking at the SCNF French website it does show lots more options for trains but I was unable to book on the site as a French address is needed - it would not accept my postcode.
Once again, I'm appreciative of the generosity of people willing to help out here and provide support and advice. Much of my trip - starting in 3 weeks - will be 'resourced' from people here providing thoughtful and caring support and guidance. I look forward to being able to help others out in time myself and repay the kindness.

Your problems mirror that which I have encountered with the SNCF site. I'm often using the SNCF site to get information ... and finding it really frustrating to encounter the variations between fr/en, SNCF, SNCF Voyages, SNCF Horaires, and getting shunted to RailEurope. Once there are cookies linking you to one site there is no going back. I think at least part of the problem is a matter of coordination; one site updates at a different time than another. I can only imagine the frustration experienced by first time users.

The worst despair comes when that stupid SNCF radio clicks on.

yes, very frustrating...however the frustration does reduce somewhat once I realise its not entirely because I'm stupid but that other inadequacies are at play too !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
yes, very frustrating...however the frustration does reduce somewhat once I realise its not entirely because I'm stupid but that other inadequacies are at play too !
No you are not stupid, it's just tricky. If you book through an agent (such as RailEurope - and maybe the Captain website you mention?) you may be paying a lot more for your ticket.
A BIG word of warning - if you are relying on the train to get you back to catch an international flight, be aware than it is not uncommon for rail workers in France to go on strike. We got caught out one year and there was absolutely no warning. Now if I'm reliant on the French railways I always travel to the city from which my flight leaves a day before, just in case.
I'd seriously consider the airline option.

I'm very sorry for the SNCF, but their website is everything but user friendly.
If you need a quick schedule, use http://www.cff.ch you will even be able to switch to English if necessary.
I think the German DB has the same source of information too...

Good search, Jacques-D.

I'm very sorry for the SNCF, but their website is everything but user friendly.
If you need a quick schedule, use http://www.cff.ch you will even be able to switch to English if necessary.
I think the German DB has the same source of information too...

Good search, Jacques-D.

The problem with using non-service provider sources is they are less likely to be up to date than the service provider website. SNCF is the service provider. Imagine the problems that would entail if you were to rely on 'facts' I've written here after they are derived (for example) from cff.ch derived from bonjourfrance derived from raileurope derived from SNCF and you get a real possibility of erroneous information.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I guess I must be half French and don't know it. I find the SNCF website easy to use. The only thing is you can't buy more than 90 days ahead and sometimes they have "sales". With regard to the "train strike" issue that usually pertains to the local trains and not the TGV. If it isn't going to be a holiday or weekend just wait until you get there and buy the ticket. If I have time, I take the train. If I want to get there I fly!

The problem with using non-service provider sources is they are less likely to be up to date than the service provider website. SNCF is the service provider. Imagine the problems that would entail if you were to rely on 'facts' I've written here after they are derived (for example) from cff.ch derived from bonjourfrance derived from raileurope derived from SNCF and you get a real possibility of erroneous information.

There is however a small difference between raileurope or bonjourfrance and SNCF, CFF, RENFE or DB: the latter ones are all national railways compagny which are interracting at the common border. The need to have the same dataset in order to ensure that the train are not hanging "in the blue" when crossing the border.

The reservation problem is a different kind: it's tied to the validity period of the price you are paying. In Switzerland, where the prizes are fixed for one year (december to december, as the scheduling is) you can only reserve inside this period....

BR, Jacques-D.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back