• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travel journal

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I want to keep my musing on paper. Has anyone discovered a light weight travel journal?
I remember in France umpteen years ago blue, soft covered, thin-sheeted school noted books that had no spiral.
I cant find anything like that currently
any ideas?
nanc

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm with you, Nanc. I tend to carry exercise books that are a tad heavy but just put up with the weight. Last camino I was going to write my diary on my Ipad mini but it just didn't happen - I ended up with nothing at all! Won't do that again. Apparently my brain and screens don't work together.
Jacki.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I want to keep my musing on paper.
Just a thought to consider. On electronic devices you can send your writing elsewhere for safe-keeping. You lose a journal and you lose your writing. Perhaps you can bring some light-weight carbon paper and tracing paper and every few days mail copies home to your family or yourself.

Written by one who lost thousands of unbacked-up photos.

I want to keep my musing on paper. Has anyone discovered a light weight travel journal?
I remember in France umpteen years ago blue, soft covered, thin-sheeted school noted books that had no spiral.
any ideas?
nanc

Nan, take a look at THE PILGRIM SOUL: Your Journal for the Camino de Santiago. It is 6 ounces, has a laminated cover to resist rain, is the same size as the Brierley Guides so it tucks into belly packs nicely, has a space for sellos (stamps), and several pages for writing, drawing, photos when you return, etc. It's available through Amazon at:
http://www.amazon.com/PILGRIM.../dp/0692323201/ref=sr_1_2[/FONT]...

Since I have done both an electronic blog as well as a paper journal, there are advantages to each. I find that somehow there is a neurological microswitch that activates when I have a pen in my hand. So writing in a physical paper journal is a more reflective (not to mention private) experience for me. On the other hand, many friends and family, not to mention thousands of new pilgrims, have enjoyed the trip details and photos on the blog.

I like Moleskine notebooks, and have also carried Write-in-the-Rain notebooks, which are a tad heavier but not bothered by weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are setting up and on line through FB. I personally use a journal regularly. I remember it and write it and then after I write it help me remember. My hand written notes and scribbles help my brain function.

We are setting up and on line through FB. I personally use a journal regularly. I remember it and write it and then after I write it help me remember. My hand written notes and scribbles help my brain function.
I prefer not to use Facebook for travel journals or blogs because it tells the entire FB world that you are away from home for an extended period, which I consider to be a personal security issue. My preference is to set up a personal blog on Blogspot http://www.blogspot.com and only give the address to family and friends. When you get home you can post photos and thoughts on Facebook.

any ideas?
nanc
You are referring to a "cahier" it is a French student's notebook and they are generally available in larger super markets in the stationary sections.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
any ideas?
nanc
I used to use simple school notebooks, but now that I'm retired and travel more, I journal in the 5x8 Moleskine lined notebooks. The thrifty part of me says buy the package of 3 black ones and forget about the pretty colored ones, but sometimes I do see the colorful ones on sale. I find my journal is for more introspective and private musings. I send an e travelog -- not blog-- to friends along my way.

I bought this lovely little book at Staples (there are different covers to choose from). It weighs only 92 grams, including the pen. It is 6" x 4.25" (15cm x 11cm). 80 pages, glue-bound, but seems very sturdy. Pictures attached in case you look for one.20160202_185858_resized.jpg 20160202_185922_resized.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thanks all for the suggestions
as others have shared, there is a neural thing that happens in hand writing that brings from a deeper level (for me)
weight and survivability was a thought
glad someone remembered the name of those school books and that they still exist!
will look into the other suggestions

I prefer not to use Facebook for travel journals or blogs because it tells the entire FB world that you are away from home for an extended period, which I consider to be a personal security issue. My preference is to set up a personal blog on Blogspot http://www.blogspot.com and only give the address to family and friends. When you get home you can post photos and thoughts on Facebook.
We are fortunate enough to have someone stay at our home we're gone all because we have animals to be taken care of. And my son is close also but I do understand why you would not want to do that. Frankly I wouldn't have a Facebook account except for my children they want me to keep track of them funny but true.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a blog and a moleskin notebook and share things on a Facebook group as we doe the walk 100 mile class this year.
I am a fan of Facebook and would also love a FB group for Camino friends.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
So, whatcha all buying? The sale and coupons are burning a hole in my pocket but I can’t decide what I want/need.
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in. I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.