• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Pre paid debit cards

Rowie

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago Easter
Could anyone tell me what they would recommend as a Prepay travel card when travelling Porto to Santiago? I'm from the UK. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Rowie. I used a travel money card once and found it a waste of time, more a gimmick to make money for the banks than a convenience for the customer. Your normal debit card will be fine for accessing cash as long as it is a Visa or Mastercard etc. Just remember to let you bank know you will be travelling overseas.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Rowie. I used a travel money card once and found it a waste of time, more a gimmick to make money for the banks than a convenience for the customer. Your normal debit card will be fine for accessing cash as long as it is a Visa or Mastercard etc. Just remember to let you bank know you will be travelling overseas.
Hi. I have to completely disagree with this. Your normal debit card is very likely to charge a fee for withdrawing cash (around £3 usually), and perhaps some conversion fees on top. I don't see how travel money cards could make the banks more money as they're usually free and don't charge overseas withdrawal fees.

For European withdrawals I use Monzo. It's actually a digital bank account (managed from an app) but one of their big plusses is they don't charge for withdrawing money in the EEA (after double checking it turns out this isn't true anymore. Only £200 is fee-free, so I can't suggest Monzo anymore) It's easy to set up an account with them, and then all you need to do is deposit money into the account and use your Monzo debit card to withdraw from a cash machine in Spain. A very similar option is Revolut but I haven't used it so can't say if it's any good or not.

Another option is a "travel" credit card. I've actually applied for one just yesterday as I'm planning to travel outside of Europe this year (Monzo only allows you to withdraw up to £200 per month). I chose the Halifax Clarity Credit Card. It doesn't charge you any withdrawal fees, but it does charge you daily interest on cash withdrawals, but as long as you pay it back on the same day, it's very minimal. For example, if I withdraw 100 euros from a cash machine, it would charge me about 5 cents in interest per day until I paid it off. A pretty good deal in my eyes.

Hope that was of help. And no, I have no affiliations with either product 😁

Last edited:
Personally I’d recommend a UK credit card with no overseas transaction fees for general payment (I have Creation and JAJA with deliberately low credit limits) and your customary debit card for cash withdrawals. For cash in advance there are various internet brokers with good exchange rates (I use travelfx).

Preloaded cards have their place but in my understanding you have to treat them like cash. Lose the card and you’ll struggle to retrieve the balance.

Thank you for all your help. As I'm with Santander bank I think I will use the CC the bulk for paying for goods and the Debit card minimally. The rates aren't too bad.I'm concerned about the issues if the travel card is stolen and think it may not be worth signing up to a travel card for the short amount of time I'm travelling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm from the UK too. Prepaid cards have had their day as there are better alternatives.

As above, I also use a Monzo card as there are no international banking charges for using it.

Just have sterling in your account and allow the transactions in Euros.

Could anyone tell me what they would recommend as a Prepay travel card when travelling Porto to Santiago? I'm from the UK. Thanks
My friends recommend Revolut. I think it’s easy to top up from your phone and I think it’s currency commission free

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't they charge interest on funds withdrawn from ATMs?
Very little. As I mentioned above, a 100 euro withdrawal would only cost 5 cents per day. If you pay it back the same day, it'll cost you 5 cents total for the withdrawal.

Hi Rowie
I am also from the UK and have been 4 times on the Camino. I only took an initial supply of Euros and used my bank card and credit card without any problems. hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Vince

It’s technically not a prepaid card, but I use it like one. The Starling online bank is great for travelling abroad, you can load it directly from your banking app. You aren’t charged exchange fees when making purchases in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As above Revolut and Monzo allow free withdrawals up to £ 200 each per month in EU so I suggest if you think you will need £400 cash for your trip you get one of each. You can top them up as you go along so no need to preload the total amount before leaving. That is my plan for my trip next month - then no costs for withdrawing from ATM's. Rest will be paid via Halifax Clarity credit card which has good exchange rate.

It’s technically not a prepaid card, but I use it like one. The Starling online bank is great for travelling abroad, you can load it directly from your banking app. You aren’t charged exchange fees when making purchases in Spain.
Thanks for that. I had never thought of that idea. Very helpful 🙂

Hi Rowie
I am also from the UK and have been 4 times on the Camino. I only took an initial supply of Euros and used my bank card and credit card without any problems. hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Vince
Thanks Vince for your help. Buen Camino to you too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As above Revolut and Monzo allow free withdrawals up to £ 200 each per month in EU so I suggest if you think you will need £400 cash for your trip you get one of each. You can top them up as you go along so no need to preload the total amount before leaving. That is my plan for my trip next month - then no costs for withdrawing from ATM's. Rest will be paid via Halifax Clarity credit card which has good exchange rate.
That's not a bad idea thanks 🙂

Thanks for that. I had never thought of that idea. Very helpful 🙂
My pleasure. The Starling ATM withdrawal limit is £300 a day, so that should be more than enough to keep you going. Have a great camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find that the travel cards that are "free" of fees make it up some way or another, unless it is a convenience your bank offers. As for the security of it, I open an account just for the trip, move over my travel cash, and debit out of that. If some scoundrel gets my card info, they can only get so much and not disrupt the rest of my finances. It also reminds me that I cannot extend my trip indefinitely, forget to go back to work, and just begin living my retired life early. Also from investigating the se vende signs along the way!
I am lucky in that my bank will not charge ATM fees or currency exchange fees separate from their exchange rate.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.