• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Travel through Switzerland to Portugal - documentation requirements?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobY333

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - which Camino? IDK!
2025 CF from SJPdP?
We leave for our Camino Portugues on Tuesday. We are flying Boston - Porto with a day long connection in Zurich. I just spoke with a Swiss Air agent and was told that upon check-in in Boston, we would only be required to produce documents to get into Switzerland (and not Portugal, or ultimate destination). Switzerland only requires proof of full vaccination (which we have), whereas Portugal requires a negative test result.

So, my angst is that this agent was incorrect and we'll be asked for a negative test result in Boston (since we are scheduled to go to Portugal) - and these are difficult to get at this point (that's a different subject). Does anyone have experience with this sort of connection and the check-in requirements?

(The other interesting thing is that the agent said that since the connection the next day is within the Schengen region, no negative test would be needed to enter Portugal from Switzerland).

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
To enter Portugal, it doesn't matter whether you are coming from Switzerland or the United States. Here are the entry requirements.

From that government site, this is what you need to enter Portugal from many countries (including Switzerland and the USA):
Boa sorte e bom caminho!

Last edited:
To enter Portugal, it doesn't matter whether you are coming from Switzerland or the United States. Here are the entry requirements.

From that government site, this is what you need to enter Portugal from most countries (including Switzerland and the USA):
Boa sorte e bom caminho!
Thank you for this! Any thoughts on what should happen in Boston? Have you, or others, been through this type of connection situation? That's my biggest concern. It seems getting tested in Switzerland shouldn't be an issue.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for this! Any thoughts on what should happen in Boston? Have you, or others, been through this type of connection situation? That's my biggest concern. It seems getting tested in Switzerland shouldn't be an issue.
I just flew Tokyo-Istanbul-Lisbon last week and although I didn't require a negative test to enter Portugal because I have the EU vaccination certificate, I got a negative test certificate anyway (I was doing saliva PCR tests every day anyway in the Olympic/Paralympic bubble so it was no extra inconvenience). I was asked for the negative test certificate at check-in in Tokyo but nowhere else, so, yes, it's possible that airlines just ask for it no matter what just to be safe on their end.

Since entry requirements differ by country, you should check the official government sites. Do you live in Boston or near Boston? I had a pcr test at Lawrence General Hospital's drive thru testing before my flight to France on August 31. I did not need a test to enter France but decided to be safe and do the test in case rules changed again. The test at the hospital in Lawrence was free and my results came back in less than 24 hours.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks - I have a good understanding of what we need for each country. The risk I'm concerned about is this: we take our scheduled PCR test Monday. We are supposed to fly to Switzerland Tuesday night. It's possible we won't get the PCR test results back by then. So, we will be allowed to board our flight to Switzerland (we have the required proof of Vax to enter Switzerland) or, if we don't have the PCR results yet, will we be denied boarding because we won't have the required documents for our connection through to Portugal? I spoke with someone from Swiss who said we'd be fine, but I'm just stressing...I can't imagine the agents in Boston would need to know the requirements for each onward destination for each traveler...but like I said, I'm stressing! Thanks everyone!

Thanks - I have a good understanding of what we need for each country. The risk I'm concerned about is this: we take our scheduled PCR test Monday. We are supposed to fly to Switzerland Tuesday night. It's possible we won't get the PCR test results back by then. So, we will be allowed to board our flight to Switzerland (we have the required proof of Vax to enter Switzerland) or, if we don't have the PCR results yet, will we be denied boarding because we won't have the required documents for our connection through to Portugal? I spoke with someone from Swiss who said we'd be fine, but I'm just stressing...I can't imagine the agents in Boston would need to know the requirements for each onward destination for each traveler...but like I said, I'm stressing! Thanks everyone!
Wherever you go for your test, ask ahead of time how long it has been taking for results nowadays. I have found the last 2 or 3 times I have had the pcr test at Lawrence te results have come back in less than 24 hours. If you can get a rapid antigen test, you can get the results back within a half hour and as brief as 15 minutes! That would alleviate your worry.

Here's an update. We were told by Swiss that since we would be in Switzerland for less than 24 hours (23:05!) we would need the documentation required for Portugal, our final destination. So, we managed to get a same day PCR test today before coming to the airport since yesterday's PCR test results might not come back in time. The good news: the same day test confirmed we're negative. The other news - in Boston we were only asked for our (1) proof of Vax and (2) Portugal entry QR code. We were not asked for the negative test results! So, I would suggest getting everything you MIGHT need, because you never know exactly what might be required by the agent at the desk. I'll try to provide another update after we get to Portugal!

The great news? We're on our way to the Caminho!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's an update. We were told by Swiss that since we would be in Switzerland for less than 24 hours (23:05!) we would need the documentation required for Portugal
Right -- I was going to suggest that if you were merely transiting, and remaining in the international zone at the airport between flights, no entry requirements for Switzerland should have been necessary ; but it seems they were thinking way ahead of me, and it's nice that a stay less than 24 hours counts too !!
The great news? We're on our way to the Caminho!!!
Hooray !! Bom Caminho !!

Another quick update. We made it from Zurich to Porto. We were not asked for anything while traveling. Nothing. Not in Zurich and not here in Porto. Our hotel did ask for our proof of vax. Go figure.

I don't know if others will have the same experience, but I thought I should pass this along.

We start walking tomorrow - can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back