• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel to Fromista from USA

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
This year I almost made it to Fromista. I am returning August 2016 to complete my Camino.

I have airline tickets on hold for 24 hours. It is the same cost to fly into Madrid as it is Santiago de Compostela. I can also fly into Madrid and fly home from Santiago de Compostela.

My question is what is the best way to get to Fromista from either Madrid or Santiago?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
WidWil,
Use www.Rome2Rio.com to see the various possibilities of travel from either Madrid or Santiago to Fromista.
Happy planning and Buen camino!
MM

Have you checked flying into Leon (LEN)?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use America Airlines and Iberia to get there. They do not have Leon available. That would have been great though.

The train runs twice a week to Fromista. I wonder if it keeps the same two days the whole year and if I it is worth the risk to change flight plans to fit the train.

To get home this year it was about 100E taxi ride to Burgos and a bus ride to Madrid. I would like to avoid that if possible. But at least it is a back up plan, although pricey.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Easiest all the way around from Madrid, about three hours to Fromista on a train. Both Santiago and Fromista have trains and buses SdC has the airport but its about 8 hours on several trains to get to Fromista after arriving in SdC-not the best wy to start your Camino. Fly back from SdC if you can and save another long ride.

From Madrid, there's a direct train on Fridays. Take a look at the web of RENFE (www.renfe.com) for info about fares and schedules.

If you aren't traveling on a Friday, you can make the route from Madrid to Frómista by train changing trains in Valladolid (or, if you prefer it, in Palencia) any day of the week. Take a look at the web of RENFE for info about schedules.

You can also make the route from Madrid to Frómista by bus changing buses in Palencia. Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) from Madrid to Palencia and Linecar (www.linecar.es) from Palencia to Frómista (not sure if the Linecar bus is daily).

Check schedules (and fares) and see what works best for you although, IMHO, if you aren't in a tight budget, train (either the Fridays' direct one or changing in Valladolid) would be the best option.

P.S.: You may need to email or phone linecar to know the schedule and fares of their buses from Palencia to Frómista.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the great info. I bought my tickets!

For family reasons, leaving August 23 works best, flying to Madrid, train to Palencia and taxi or bus to Fromista. Technically, it should be Badilla del Camino, but I think this close enough to pick up where I left off. If I get in early enough, I'll do a warm up walk to Canal de Castilla and back. Flying back is from Santiago. It was the same air fare cost to have an open ticket like this and I figure it saves me a day’s travel and hotel in getting back to Madrid early.

This year I bailed a day early not knowing how it would be getting back to Madrid. (My first time in Europe, much less the Camino) The short story is I met a group from France who invited me out to dinner that night and spent the next day touring Madrid with them. I could not have asked for better.

Thanks for the input. The decision is made and now it is just a matter of getting ready!

For family reasons, leaving August 23 works best, flying to Madrid, train to Palencia and taxi or bus to Fromista.

Don't forget there's an afternoon train from Palencia to Frómista just in case its schedule suited you better than the bus one. Taxi would be my last resource option.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back